Your thoughts on DLC

Isildur´s Heir

Avenger
Reaction score
Microsoft is the big on that (this year is the year of the DLC), Sony...for all i know...not so much.
So, what about you?

Fable II - Knothole Island
Fallout 3 - Operation Anchorage, The Pitt and Broken Steel
GTA 4 - The Lost and Damned and 2nd episode
Tomb Raider Underworld - Chronicles Beneath the Ashes and Lara's Shadow
The Maw - 3 new levels

There is already talks about the possibility of DLC for Halo Wars

Personally, i like it, a lot, but the good DLC, not the "new weapons or armor" kind of crap.
New MP Maps i can understand, but because i´m not big on mp, i don´t buy them.
But i do love episodes, because they continue the game and story, and i take my hat to Microsoft for what they are doing.
I expecting for Sony to jump on that too...

I love all kinds of DLC, from new maps/missions to new weapons/vehicles. Now i shouldnt be paying the same amount for a map that i would a new weapon tho.

I like DLC, as long as it's worth the price. Warhawk for example has had some great DLC that has added a ton more depth to it than it already had. DLC has to have some meat to it. I refuse to pay for costumes or special weapons (that I could easily unlock for free). I'm looking at you SCIV.

^^^Capcom is among the worst. I cant beleive they charged for Hard mode in Megaman 9
Isildur´s Heir;16341925 said:
But i do love episodes, because they continue the game and story, and i take my hat to Microsoft for what they are doing.
The PS3 has as well

Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction recieved Quest for Booty which was a downloadable episode which followed up on the cliffhanger to the game.

Warhawk to date has 3 expansion packs. They have added new maps, weapons, vehicles. And this is in addition to the free DLC which have brought on new game modes as well

Folklore has several Add On packs which include sidequests, new creatures and story missions

LittleBigPlanet is primarily based on DLC. Probably best one out htere is the Metal Gear Solid pack which adds tons of new items as well as 5 levels.

Bioshock recieved a collection of Challenge Rooms

Mirrors Edge is set to get some pretty soon

These are just some examples. Theres definetly alot more on the PSN

And then theres the full retail games which are also available for download. Among these include Warhawk, Socom, Wipeout HD, Siren, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Burnout Paradise

Last edited:
Can't stand it.
Proper expansions or nothing for me.

But with console games, you end up getting ripped off even worse with "proper expansions." Take Oblivion for instance. For all the DLC, it was about $25, including horse armor. Or you can get the Game of the Year Edition, which has it all in, for $60. But you probably already own Oblivion from when it first came out. So that's $60 for your first copy, $70 if you got the CE, then another additional $60 for the game of the year edition. That's the rip off, when compared to $25+$60.

And I myself like DLC, when done right. Capcom sucks at it. But Fable 2, Oblivion (except Horse Armor), Fallout 3, Rock Band, and GTA are all doing it right. They are full expansions, for a fraction of what it would cost to get them on disc.

Isildur´s Heir;16341925 said:
Microsoft is the big on that (this year is the year of the DLC), Sony...for all i know...not so much.
So, what about you?

Fable II - Knothole Island
Fallout 3 - Operation Anchorage, The Pitt and Broken Steel
GTA 4 - The Lost and Damned and 2nd episode
Tomb Raider Underworld - Chronicles Beneath the Ashes and Lara's Shadow
The Maw - 3 new levels

There is already talks about the possibility of DLC for Halo Wars

Personally, i like it, a lot, but the good DLC, not the "new weapons or armor" kind of crap.
New MP Maps i can understand, but because i´m not big on mp, i don´t buy them.

I heard that Project Gotham Racing 4 has some decent DLC as well.

I love DLC. It's great to pop in an old game and find something brand new. I hope GTA and Fallout start to set a precedent for DLC worth the money. GTA especially looks to be practically a brand new game (It'll be as long as most games now-a-days).

Don't forget about Burnout Paradise. Lost of free updates that improve the game, plus some pay updates coming up that add new islands, new cars and new ways to play.

I love DLC when it's done right. I don't mind paying a few bucks here and there for a new mission pack or even new multiplayer maps. I think it's great for people who have finished a game and want a little something extra to do. However I hate DLC when the publisher is blatantly nickel and diming you. Or when it's clear you're paying for something that was in the game originally, but was cut out to be sold as DLC.

Downloadable content is a great concept. In a way, it's a form of keeping older games fresh as well as fun to keep playing even after youve owned a title for a while, but I dont think companies should charge the fee's they do for expansion packs.

I'm not endorsing free content, although some free content is a good thing, a goodwill gesture on behalf of the developers to their customers, but the prices should certainly be minimal. Afterall, if you already paid premium retail prices ie. 60.00 for the title brand new, why should the person have to dish out an aditional 10 bucks for a few extra goodies.

Keep the prices down on DLC, don't punish your customers.

I like DLC. It gives freshness to games, though I wish more single player games would get it, so you don't feel like selling it once you're done.

I'm still waiting for another SC4 download. WTH! Are they done?

But with console games, you end up getting ripped off even worse with "proper expansions." Take Oblivion for instance. For all the DLC, it was about $25, including horse armor. Or you can get the Game of the Year Edition, which has it all in, for $60. But you probably already own Oblivion from when it first came out. So that's $60 for your first copy, $70 if you got the CE, then another additional $60 for the game of the year edition. That's the rip off, when compared to $25+$60.

And I myself like DLC, when done right. Capcom sucks at it. But Fable 2, Oblivion (except Horse Armor), Fallout 3, Rock Band, and GTA are all doing it right. They are full expansions, for a fraction of what it would cost to get them on disc.

Yea but i'm a pc user primarily.
The horse armour, the wizards tower, keep, new weapons character skins/suits and what-not are modded in spades for free, that sort of thing doesn't fly well on an open platform unless it's something substantial and/or something with features difficult to emulate, like production values.

I'm all for DLC, whether it be totally awesome like what LittleBigPlanet has done or what Grand Theft Auto IV is doing or something incredibly stupid like horse armor. If someone wants to pay for it, who gives a crap.

The only time I have a problem with DLC is when it's a multiplatform game and someone makes a deal to make it exclusive to a particular console. If a game is multiplatform, gamers from the PS3, 360, and PC should enjoy the exact same experience. Don't screw over particular gamers because someone (cough*Microsoft*cough) is willing to fork over needlessly large amounts of money.

It's called business, and it's been known since 2006 that the 360 was getting exclusive content. So it's not like people were caught unawares

True, but it still sucks. I just hate the concept of exclusive DLC for multiplatform games.

The only thing I don't like is how most of it is for multiplayer. The games that have some worthwhile single-player stuff I haven't yet played or beaten to actually need them yet.

And what I consider worthwhile single-player is extra missions. New weapons, costumes and items is just fluff.

You have to be careful though, if you use the GOTY addition it can corrupt your data from your original Oblivion file. Same goes for Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and the Gold Edition. If you mix those games it can ruin all the work you may have put into the game

You have to be careful though, if you use the GOTY addition it can corrupt your data from your original Oblivion file. Same goes for Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and the Gold Edition. If you mix those games it can ruin all the work you may have put into the game

Another reason that DLC>.

^^^Capcom is among the worst. I cant beleive they charged for Hard mode in Megaman 9
The PS3 has as well

Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction recieved Quest for Booty which was a downloadable episode which followed up on the cliffhanger to the game.

Warhawk to date has 3 expansion packs. They have added new maps, weapons, vehicles. And this is in addition to the free DLC which have brought on new game modes as well

Folklore has several Add On packs which include sidequests, new creatures and story missions

LittleBigPlanet is primarily based on DLC. Probably best one out htere is the Metal Gear Solid pack which adds tons of new items as well as 5 levels.

Bioshock recieved a collection of Challenge Rooms

Mirrors Edge is set to get some pretty soon

These are just some examples. Theres definetly alot more on the PSN

And then theres the full retail games which are also available for download. Among these include Warhawk, Socom, Wipeout HD, Siren, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Burnout Paradise

Yeah, Sony isn't exactly shying away from DLC. I think Sony must've killed his dog or something

Its a very dependant thing.

LBP for example, threw it in people's faces, leaving out a core gameplay mechanic with the Paintanator, then chargining me £5 for it. £5! And all the MGS costumes were seperate for another £5. In the week of the game's release they put up a "Rare week 1" T-shirt on the store to "show you were there at the start", that too cost £5 for something to put on your sackboy. A joke.

Evolution Studio's MotorStorm DLC was great, new tracks, new modes, some free, some fairly priced, and released after the game had been out for a good while.

Exclusive DLC? F--- off basically. PS3 owners paid the same price for Fallout 3, Tomb Raider Underworld, and GTAIV, but we get pushed around and forgotten about instead. Bethesda isn't even bothering to patch F3 PS3 for after ending play. That deserves GotY? I think not. Same for 360 owners with exclusive BioShock DLC, and Mirror's Edge stuff, why should they miss out?

DLC, for me is playing a good part in hurting this generation of gaming. People are taking stuff out of their games to make a bit more money. Its evil, and its unecessary.

Look at Burnout Paradise, case closed. Everyone should be doing that, to the point where I'd gladly pay for the new DLC, the one-off paid content.

Oblivion GOTY edition only included Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine; nothing else.

Yeah, Sony isn't exactly shying away from DLC. I think Sony must've killed his dog or something
The killed my dog thing was for me?
I don´t like Sony, less and less as time goes by, i never made it a secret, but i´m not biased or anything, i´ll buy a PS3 in 4 or 5 months.
Not because i adore Microsoft or anything, but because, now that there is competition (there was last gen, but i didn´t had the Xbox), i can see the flaws in Sony.
Sure, Microsoft is hardly perfect, not even close, but, just look at the 360 marketplace and the European PSN...i rest my case.
Last update (i read it on Kotaku), the Dead Space demo was released....how ridiculous is that?
It was released on the 360 on Nov 25 EVERYWHERE, US PSN on Nov 27, the game was released in October...that´s 4 months later...for a fricking demo that should be everywhere.
And that´s just one example, as the european PS3 owner should know.
I´m a gamer at heart, i´m all for the games, not the companies, that´s why i´ll buy a PS3, there are good games on Sony´s console (Resistance, Uncharted, LBP, Valkyrie Chronicles...)

As for the DLC on the PS3, i didn´t knew half of those, and i thought that Quest for Booty was a PSN game, not a DLC.

LBP for example, threw it in people's faces, leaving out a core gameplay mechanic with the Paintanator, then chargining me £5 for it. £5! And all the MGS costumes were seperate for another £5. In the week of the game's release they put up a "Rare week 1" T-shirt on the store to "show you were there at the start", that too cost £5 for something to put on your sackboy. A joke.
That´s what i call bad DLC, not because it´s bad per se, but because half of those should be free, or at least, came in packs not seperated.
LBP is not the only game to have that crap, many on the 360 do it too.

Exclusive DLC? F--- off basically. PS3 owners paid the same price for Fallout 3, Tomb Raider Underworld, and GTAIV, but we get pushed around and forgotten about instead. Bethesda isn't even bothering to patch F3 PS3 for after ending play. That deserves GotY? I think not. Same for 360 owners with exclusive BioShock DLC, and Mirror's Edge stuff, why should they miss out?
I totallty agree, but, the thing is, we don´t know why it went like that.
Maybe Microsoft or Sony paid, not for the exclusive DLC, but the actual DLC.
As for Tomb Raider, we know that Eidos is on the verge of being bought.
Time Warner is the front runner, but, Eidos already said that there is also a "mysterious suitor"...maybe Microsof will buy them, so, that´s why the TR DLC is exclusive.
Or Eidos want it to be so, that´s why they want to fall in their good graces.

DLC, for me is playing a good part in hurting this generation of gaming. People are taking stuff out of their games to make a bit more money. Its evil, and its unecessary.
I agree, THAT kind of DLC is totally unecessary, it should be free from the get go.
But DLC is a still a recent thing, so, after this year, things should start to change a bit on that front (let´s hope).
For example, Ubisoft is already working on DLC for PoP, and they say it will be big and meaningful.

The Epilogue? Yeah I saw that on IGN, looks pretty cool.

I'm all up for that, paying a sum of money for say 5 more hours of gameplay, I think that's a great idea for a game franchise on a 2 year development cycle for example. Like Ratchet and Clank.

But costumes/skins/weapons/music anything that should already be in the game? That annoys me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"