Your Top 10

Matt Mortem

Karloff is King
Reaction score
Looked all over the Hype and couldn't find a thread like this, so I thought I'd make one. Share your top 10, maybe a little commentary as to why you picked the films you did. I'll go first (in no particular order):

1. Red State
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai
4. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
5. The Big Lebowski
6. Battle Royale
7. The Empire Strikes Back
8. Crazy Heart
9. Eastern Promises
10. The Bride of Frankenstein

One day I will sit down and work it out. I do have a Top 5 though.

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. The Empire Strikes Back
4. Alien
5. Blade Runner

1. Watchmen
2. In Bruges
3. Donnie Darko
4. The Never Ending Story
5. The Dark Knight Trilogy
6. Lord of the Rings Trilogy
7. Special
8. The Rescuers
9. Another Earth
10. 28 Days

I base my top ten on films I absolutely never get tired of watching - not because they are huge film making achievements, but because the plots/ideas represented within them actually mean something to me and/or they are just beautiful to me.

Last edited:
Yeah I believe Top 10's should be based immediately as your favourites. You can make a whole other Top 10 for films that you think are generally great films.

Last edited:
These are my Favorite films not necessarily the best films ever made. That would be a different list.

In no Particular order

The Dark Knight Trilogy
Out Cold
The Hangover
Fast 5
Jurassic Park
Ghostbusters(Both)
Back to the Future
Hook
Police Academy
Gleaming the Cube

The Amazing Spider-man is close to being on this list but seeing as I have only seen it once I'll need to wait until I have had some more views before deciding.

Last edited:
1. Pulp Fiction
2. The Dark Knight
3. LOTR: The Return of the King
4. Saving Private Ryan
5. Toy Story
6. Back to the Future
7. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
8. Goodfellas
9. Die Hard
10. Double Indemnity

The top 3 are in order, but the rest get mixed around a lot

Last edited:
My top ten favorite films and in no particular order;

Blade Runner
Alien
The Thing
In the Mouth of Madness
2001: A Space Odyssey
Sunshine
Jacob's Ladder
Session 9
Heat
The Big Lebowski

I know I have posted my personal TOP 10 list in that Directors TOP 10 thread already, but I might as well post it again here and now say something about each film, explaining why it is on my list.

I have actually done a very long write up for each of my favourite movies. I really hope you read it.

I really think everyone should try to do this, at least 3 or 4 sentences for each film, giving a statement why you like it. It is so boring to always read just bare lists and count-ups. Please write something.

Please take note, I had to split my Post into THREE Posts, because it was too long. Please dont delete it @ MODS. I really did my best to make a good write up, I had no other choice than splitting ut into 3 posts.

Here we go again, my All-Time TOP 10:

(I really dont think this list will ever change, I just cant imagine that in the future any better films will come out. These times are over.)

And YES, this IS a Ranking. No. 1 is my absolute favourite.

01. The Shawshank Redemption (Frank Darabont, 1994)

Well, "The Shawshank Redemption", what can I say? This is that kind of movie about which I would say that EVERYONE who sees it HAS to like it. And if that person doesent like it...then what the hell is wrong with that person? The story is so simple, yet so brilliantly executed. Frank Darabont adapted Stephen Kings novella about undeserved pain and never dying hope so deeply grounded in reality that the viewer can relate to literally EVERYTHING that happens on screen, even though he probably never was in prison. What makes this movie so outstanding is not only the heartwarming, yet exciting way in which the story is told, it is even more because of the performaces: Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman are beyond flawless. I think they both gave the best performances of their careers here. What makes the friendship between Andy and Red so special is that it is a real mens-friendship, a friendship of two men who share the same fate, one deserving it, the other one dont deserving it. And together they find out what "Hope" really means. And in the end Andy gets his well deserved "Redemption". Frank Darabont made his first feature film for the big screen here, and he made an instant masterpiece, an modern classic. It really doesnet get much better than that when it comes to filmmaking. He created a relatable and realistic scenario, made us feel with the characters, used beautiful sets, NO CGI at all, and gave us a stunning film driven by a genius screenplay and strong performances. And Frank Darabont achieved something what does not happen very often. His film is better than the novella it is based on. "The Shawshank Redemption" is, at least to me, a century achievement.

02. Blade Runner (Ridley Scott, 1982)

Brutally dismissed and panned by both audiences and critics when it first came out, over the years "Blade Runner" grew itself a pretty neat fanbase and a cult-following. And even critics started to like it more over the time. I am not gonna talk about the awful studio interference that happened in 1982, forcing Ridley Scott to glue an happy end on the film and adding a dumb and unnessacary Voice-Over which is explaining things a intelligent viewer would figure out just by watching the movie anyway. This is a prime example of how a studio can water down and ruin a movie. Therefore, of course, I am talking about the FINAL CUT here. But this cut is brilliant. Why did people not see this back in 1982? Well, I guess one can definatley say that "Blade Runner" was released in the wrong year. In the very same year that good old guy known as Spielberg earned all the hearts and likes of the world with a warmhearted SciFi story about an cute little Alien. Audiences back in 1982 were just not ready for such a deep, dark and brooding vision of the future as Ridley Scott has created. What makes Blade Runner so special is that it is mesmerizing as no other movie. If the viewer gives himself totally into the film he gets hypnosed by it. The film is almost like a painting, the sounds Vangelis has created do a wonderful and breathtaking symbiosis with the images shown. The story about Rick Deckard hunting down the rebbelling Replicants might be very straight forward, yet it deals with the most important questions of humanity. More Human than Human. What does this mean? From which point on do you have to respect an existance? Is it okay to give a robot feelings and then just shut it off? And if you are living in a world in which you cant tell the difference between Humans and Replicants anymore, and if it is possible to implant fake memorys into these Replicants - when comes the point on which you have to question your own existence? All these questions never get exactly answered in the film. The viewer has to think about it and come up with his own answers. Another utterly genius achievement of Ridley Scott in this film is of course the world he created. The visuals are scary yet beautiful. The Urban cityscape looks depressing, people dream of an better life OFF-WORLD. They sky is brightned by fire, the sun never really shines. Is this a post nuclear world? Maybe. I can understand why not everyone gets access to Blade Runner. But it is really a film that ages like wine. It gets better with each viewing, and it demands multiple viewings. "Blade Runner" is a masterpiece. You cant deny it.

03. Zodiac (David Fincher, 2007)

Yeah, I hear your uproar. This might surprise many people. But let me explain. I know that it is the common opinion that the best films David Fincher has ever made are "Seven" and "Fight Club". Well, whilst I think those two are pretty good, I beg to differ. I think "Zodiac" is the best thing David Fincher has done so far. David Fincher had a nice long run since the year 1992. He has yet to make a bad movie. Sure, some werent exactly as good as the others, but I cant think of a bad David Fincher film. So, why do I think Zodiac is his best work? Mainly because there is NO OTHER movie out there which is quite like Zodiac. It is a thriller, but it is not your common average Hollywood thriller, about cops chasing bad guys with guns in their hands. "Zodiac" is what I would call a "RESEARCH THRILLER". This film probably portrays the most accurate police investigation ever banned on film. The hunt for the Zodiac killer is not portrayed as a chilling adventure, it is damn hard investigative work. Its not fun at all. Its frustrating. And it brings the lives of Detective Toshi and Journalist Avory almost to shelter. Cartoonist Robert Graysmith on the other hand wont give up so easily. He goes on with his private investigation. And he eventually finds a trace. Yet even he has to face the fact that some crimes just remain unsolved. There comes a time people just dont care anymore. Time is an important factor here. People forget. People get old. People stop to care. But how to achieve justice then? And is it really justice Graysmith is looking for? Isent it more like an obsession, an obsession that he, only he wants to find out who that Zodiac killer was? David Fincher challenges the audience constantly in this long movie. In almost every minute you get at least 5 different names thrown at you, and let me tell you, the sheer amount of names, the sheer amout of characters that play an important role here is just stunning. You have to keep your brain working and focused throughout the whole movie, otherwise you will get lost in that mountain of names,you wont know anymore who is who. David Fincher has created the most intelligent Thriller film I have ever seen. And yet, it is also very rewarding and entertaining. If you stay focused, and if you get the story, you see a puzzle in front of you which completes more and more with every minute. This is a rewarding film experience. And it is David Finchers best film so far.

04. Jaws (Steven Spielberg, 1975)

Ah, yeah, of course. You all knew that was gonna come. "Jaws" is a staple in like 75% of all TOP Movie lists. And it is well deserved. Not only that "Jaws" invented what we know today as the modern summer blockbuster, it also kicked of the cinematic career of Hollywoods greatest (note: Greatest, NOT best) living director these days. And Steven Spielberg really showed in this early film already what he is able to achieve, that he is not like any other director. "Jaws" is considered to be the defintive "shark movie". The special thing here is that this movie is NOT about a shark eating people. Audiences have seen that before. Sharks eating people might be thrilling, but it really doesnet make for a cinematic masterpiece. No, "Jaws" is not really about the Shark at all. It is about the characters dealing with the situation of having that shark. Three very different men and there views on how to handle that shark problem. All three of them get outlined and introduced amazingly well. When they finally get on that boat to chase the shark, you know who they are. They have profile. You care for them. Amazing character development right there. Yet in the end, they all have to work together if they want to defeat that enourmus beast. A notable thing about "Jaws" is that it is basically split into two different films. The first half takes place at land, showing how the people learn about the shark, how differently they react, and what they plan to do. In this first half the shark is shown and portrayed as an almost supernatural and untouchable force, you never see him, you just have these shots from the sharks perspective combined with the classic John Williams music letting you know the shark is there. The second half of the movie takes place at the open sea, and it is about the actual fight against the shark. This time the shark gets materialized, it gets touchable, but also it gets all the more dangerous. How can three man that are so utterly different possibly work together to defeat that monster? Who of the man is right in their methods? The conservative Quint who lives after the motto "old man at the sea", the almost neutral Brody who just wants to survive or the experimental scientiest guy Hooper? What many people do not know: "Jaws" also works as a metapher about the conflict between the "Old Hollywood" and the "New Hollywood". Ironically enough "Jaws" became the movie that meant the final breakthrough into the "New Hollywood" era. Two years later there followed a little film known as Star Wars. Quint represents the Old Hollywood, while Hooper represents New Hollywood. Well, Quint gets eaten by the shark, so I guess we can figure out what Spielbergs statement was. But all that multi-layered stuff aside, Jaws also works as a thrilling and exciting action ride, and adventurous movie like no other. Steven Spielbergs "Jaws" is the first real blockbuster, and still one of the very best.

05. The Social Network (David Fincher, 2010)

Yay, its David Fincher again. Wait, already? Yes, already. Obviously I am a big fan of this mans work. He made for TWO movies in my TOP 5. So I guess you could say this man is my favourite director. And again I am not talking about the often praised movies "Seven" or "Fight Club". This time it is a very recent movie of him, "The Social Network" A biopic film about the founder of Facebook. A film about the uprising of one of the most famous websites of today. When this project was announced I was like...eh, really? How can this thematic make for a good movie? I mean, I really could not imagine how to approach it, how to put it in an exciting and engaging cinematic story. But I had hope. David Fincher was directing. But to be fair, I have to give credit to screenwriter Aaron Sorkin as well, he really is the one who made this film so brilliant. David Fincher did just excute it perfectly. As always. I had not watched the trailer to this movie. I went to the theater totally unprepared. I was ready to get dissapointed. But it did not happen. David Fincher had me on the edge of my seat throughout the whole film. I always wanted to see what happens next. What is it what makes this film work? It is the fact that it is not a film about FACEBOOK at all, you can watch this movie just fine if you have never used Facebook or even if you dont know a thing about it. Facebook is just the MacGuffin here. It really could have been Youtube as well. It is a story about an excentric genius who happens to have a good idea. A great idea. Of course there are always others who want to profit from that idea too. Maybe they will even say it was their idea. And when it comes down to an idea potentially worth 1 Billion Dollars, even the best friendships can get smashed because of this. The writing of "The Social Network" is top notch, the pacing is fast and engaging, the dialouge is snappy and clever, yet often ironic. The acting by the young actors is incredible. This movie is the greatest surprise I have ever experienced when it comes to movies. David Fincher has made a brilliant film about the founding of Facebook, a film that is actually more exciting than many many thrillers which are supposed to thrill. That is an respectable achievement right there. David Fincher is a good one. A very good one. Whoever disagrees has no idea.

Last edited:
06. Raiders of the Lost Ark (Steven Spielberg, 1981)

Here it comes, Round 2 for Spielberg. Well, I guess it was obvious that the Master of Audience Manipulation would have more than just one spot in this list. He made plenty of good to great films. But perhaps the most beloved of them all, the one which is the most enjoyable throughout all kinds of moviegoers, it has to be the first movie in the "Indiana Jones" series, called "Raiders of the Lost Ark". See, this is one of those movie you NEVER get tired of watching. Raiders of the Lost Ark always seems fresh, it is as much fun on the 10th viewing than it was on the very 1st time. The character of Indiana Jones is so damn cool, yet also so likeable, you cant help but feel the adrenalin with him. The action-scenes which are celebrated in this movie are universal. This is exactly what you expect from a treasure hunting Adventurer. Steven Spielberg (and I have to give credit to George Lucas as well, since he outlined the character of Indy) really gives us the most universal fun-ride which ever made it to the big screen. Every scene brings the plot forward, nothing seems unnessacary. Also a very good thing is that all of the action is pretty much grounded in reality. Indiana Jones has no superpowers. He is just a fit and sporty guy, who goes through a hell lot of crap. Still he always stays cool as hell, always being able to deliver a dry one-liner. And who could make for better villains in this film then the good old Nazis? Everyone hates Nazis, they are the scum of Humanity, and now they are going for an mythological artifact to win the war. Who can stop them? Not an army, but one uber-cool archeologist. I mean, just look at that concept. It is so simple, yet it works out so brilliantly. Harrison Fords portrayel of the character really made the role iconic, Indiana Jones is very well deserved a hero of the modern pop-culture. Another very clever thing was to have the film take place in the 1930s. If it would have take place in present day (which was the year 1980 at the time), Indiana Jones would have probably visit some larger cities. It would have just not be believable if an archeologist fight bad guys in the egyptian desert in the year 1980. For the sake of suspensal of disbelief a period piece setting in WWII works best. "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is immense and flabbergasting fun. I know I repeat myself, but it really is the perfect blockbuster. It is like 200 times better than everything Marvel has ever done with their characters on the big screen. This movie entertains the hell out of its audience, and it always will. The character of Indiana Jones is timeless and has much profile and an real edge to him, and so are the practical SFX. Indiana Jones is a legend, a legend from the mind of George Lucas, brought to life geniusly by the great Steven Spielberg. "Raiders of the Lost Ark" will never get old. The perfect blueprint for a Blockbuster.

07. Apocalypse Now
(Francis Ford Coppola, 1979)

Yeah, now we are getting serious. "Apocalypse Now" is a movie which is literally universally acclaimed. No critic on earth dares to dislike this movie. It is a lifetime achievement of the director Francis Ford Coppola, and also the best (Anti) War Film ever made. It might happen that someone doesent like this movie, but you can never say it isent good. You just cannot do that. Many consider Coppolas "The Godfather" series to be even better, but I would disagree on that. There are plenty good mafia and mobster movies out there (Yes, I am talking about you Scorsese), but there is no war film which comes even close to "Apocalypse Now". Nope, not even "Full Metal Jacket". While Mafia movies are just not everyones cup of tea, I think everyone should be able to relate to the mesmerizing and haunting vision of the vietnam war which "Apocalypse Now" is. You dont have to be a war veteran to be able to relate to it. This movie does a very good job in making "Vietnam" feelable to every average Joe. Like Coppola once said, this film is not ABOUT Vietnam, it IS Vietnam. Apocalypse Now really gives you a sense of what it must have been like to be in that humid jungle, fighting the Vietcong. The scenario and the set design Francis Ford Coppola has created here is overwhelming. It all looks larger than life and so realistic as it can ever get. Not a bit of CGI, all you see are actual sets. It must have been a hell of a job to create all this stuff. The movie went through a troubled production, the sets were destroyed multiple times by big stormes. But the built it up again and again, you owe the team arround Coppola respect for that alone. But what makes this movie outstanding? It is a movie about the Vietnam war, but that is only the top of the Iceberg. It would be more accurate to say it takes places in the Vietnam war, yet not showing so much of the combat. It is a character driven plot that makes this movie so outstanding. Captain Willard gets the mission to get on a boat and drive up the Lung-River to hunt down Colonel Walter E. Kurtz, an highly decorated ex-Green Beret, who apparantly went nuts, yet he is still commanding his own little private army. This guy is considered dangerous and out of control. Captain Willards mission: Get a boat and a little team, search the Colonel and TERMINATE his command at any costs. Simple story, huh? Yes, but the way it is executed is just unheard of. Willard and his man going further and further down the river can be seen as a metapher as diving deeper and deeper into the dark side of Human Nature. With every mile the boat passes, with every hour flowing by the whole situation gets more and more surreal. If you take a good look at Captain Willard you will note that he always seems to be on the edge of insanity himself. His mental condition seems to very unstable. He got these dossiers about Colonel Kurtz. He read them on his way to him. Kurtz appears as an goldlike and untouchable force, as a dark demon who can never be fully understand. Willard has no idea what he is up to, he doesent even think about how he plans to take out the Colonel. Is it even possible to take out a person like this? What is this Colonel? Just what is he? Before Willard started his trip he heard Kurtz voice on a tape, Kurtz was talking about his dream about crawling along the edge of a straight razor...and surving. This man might be insane, but he also has to be some kind of a highly intelligent anarchist. Someone who understands war. The senselesness of it. Willards character gets more and more deformed on his way to Kurtz. When he finally reaches the Colonels hideout he is a completely different person. And as the manic photo-journalist says: Kurtz is a big man. Oh yes, he is. The encounter of Willard with Colonel Kurtz is one of the most haunting conversations ever to be filmed. Colonel Kurtz gives a lenghty monolouge about the meaning of war and his take on it, and as he does he always walks the edge of total understanding and insanity. You can never really tell. This is, in my opinion, the great Marlon Brandos best role. One thing is for sure, Willard would have never been able to take out Kurtz. Kurtz wanted to be killed. Francis Ford Coppola shows us with "Apocalypse Now" how the experience of War transforms the minds of ordinary men into something awful, something brilliant, something scary, something irritating, but all this leading unavoidably into insanity. "Apocalypse Now" is the best achievement in War Movies ever. Haunting visuals and strong performances draw you into vietnam. Thank you Francis Ford Coppola.

08. Raging Bull (Martin Scorsese, 1980)

If you do a TOP 10 list and you want this list to be taken serious you have to include at least one film of the great Martin Scorsese. Like seriously, you cant avoid it. In his 40+ year long career he has constantly made masterpieces, some of the best films ever to meet the screen. Some consider his gritty take on the urban city "Taxi Driver" his best film. Others go with his mafia flicks like "GoodFellas". Well, one thing is for sure, if you talk about the best film of Martin Scorsese you will probably also have to talk about the best role Robert DeNiro ever played. DeNiro won the Acadamy Award for his portrayel of 40s to 50s Heavy-Weight Boxing Champion Jake LaMotta. The movies is called "Raging Bull", and yes, this is the best movie Martin Scorsese has ever done. Filmed in artistic black and white this movie contains one of the strongest and most memorable performaces ever delivered by any actor. Robert DeNiro really hits it outta the park here, for this movie he transformed into Jake LaMotta. DeNiro even pulled of a bit of Method Acting since he was constantly changing his shape, portraying Jake LaMotta as a muscular and expertly trained boxing champion, as well as portraying him very much out of shape, as a broken and fat man talking in clubs about his golden times. The most important thing about Martin Scorseses "Raging Bull" is this: This is NOT a film about boxing. If you see this movie expecting a film like "Rocky" you will end up incredibly dissapointed. This movie is not about Boxing, but about a BOXER. A Boxer and his life. It is about a man who cannot change the nature of what he is: A Raging Bull. He is that in the ring punching furiously into his enemy, but he also is that in his personal life, when it comes to deal with his brother, his manager or even his wife. He always stays a Raging Bull. Jake LaMotta is not able to control his temper, he cant tell the difference between standing in the ring and standing in front of the bed in which his wife is sleeping. LaMottas greatest character issue is that he always thinks the worst of other people. He always suspects that someone wants to do bad to him, he always suspects that he gets cheated on, he always suspects a conspiracy against him. This is resulting in LaMotta rasing his strong hands against literally everyone. It is a given that his marriage and his so called "love" breaks into pieces because of this. He also loses it with his brother. He loses it with himself. He might often win in the ring, but every victory in the ring means another loss in his personal life. The short fighting sequences in the film are getting more and more violent because between this fights there is always something bad happening to LaMotta, making his Anger and his Rage even bigger. The interesting thing for the viewer of this movie is that you see from the very beginning that LaMotta is heading straight towards the deepest abyss. Yet he does not realize it. When he finally reaches the point on which he has lost everything, his last boxing matches as well as his wife, his children, his brother and his money, he comes to a realizing the truth up to a certain point. He gets imprisoned for his actions, he stands in a dark cell, he cannot face anything but his own soul. And then he realizes that he did evrything wrong he could possible do wrong. He furiously smashes his own head and fists against the wall sreaming in despair: "Why, Why, Why?" This is a last attempt of denial. He knows very well why. This is the moment he realizes that he failed in life. He is a broken man afterwards. He develops a sarcastic view on it. "Thats entertainment". Martin Scorsese paces the film brilliantly, he shows exactly what is neccasary to draw a perfect image of Jake LaMottas character. Robert DeNiros unspeakable performance is beyond perfection. Probably the most deserved Acadamy Award ever. "Raging Bull" remains up to this day the best study of how a famous person with a complicated personality can lose everything in life. A masterful achievement in filmmaking, Martin Scorsese at his best.

09. Schindlers List (Steven Spielberg, 1993)

Now, this is the 3rd and last time Steven Spielberg is featured on that list. Yes I know, it might be a bit boring that I put THREE Spielberg films on my TOP 10 list, but I really couldnt help myself, its not my fault that the man has done so many brilliant films. Whilst my other two Spielberg places were for his entertaining flicks, this is now a place to talk about the one film that made him also respected amongst almost all critics. "Schindlers List" might not be exactly the best film ever made, but it certainly is the most important. It shows what gruesome things humanity is able to do. But it also shows that even in the darkest of all times there always shines a small light, a light that is able to help. Even the darkest times have their heroes. The German Industrial Bussinessman Oskar Schindler was one of these heroes. In 1939, when Poland got occupied by the Wehrmacht and the Nazis in less than 2 weeks, he came to Poland to make an easy fortune with cheap workers. The Nazis were forcing the Jews into Ghettos, they were taking full order and control over them. They were already preparing there deviant plans with them. Oskar Schindler came to Poland just for the financial aspects. He wanted to make as much money as possible, as fast as possible. He even made friend of the Nazis leaders, he was a member of their party. He doesent think too much of the Jews. He feels kinda sorry for them, but saying he would really care would be too much. But then comes the day of the liquidation of the Krakow Ghetto. Oskar Schindler witnesses it, and in this moment he realized the real and unbelievable scope of the evilness that is happening. Amon Goeth, SS-Obersturmbannführer, a cold hearted and merciless Nazis Officer watches over the liquidation of the Ghetto like some kind of a self proclaimed god. The disgusting yet so fascinating thing about Amon Goeth, who would later become the commander of the concentration and working camp Plaszow, is that he does not even kill because he really WANTS to. He feels like he NEEDS to. He sees it as part of his job. Jews are not humans to him anymore, what does it matter if he executes one jew or one-thousand? Oskar Schindler trys to convince him that the real meaning of "might" is to have the option to kill somebody without consequences, but show him mercy. This is truly the power of God, the power to decide about living and dying. Amon Goeth however shows no will of understanding at all. Finally Oskar Schindlers figures that there must be something else than just senseless killing, that there must still be a way to save his own humanity. With help of his secratary, the jew Itzahk Stern, he creates a list of nearly 1100 names of jews. For which he pays for to get them out of the camp, making them work in his factory. He looses almost his entire private fortune and wealth, but it is the saving of his humanity. And the saving of 1100 human lives who would have never lived through the next months if not for Oskar Schindler. He is the saviour of New Generations. He is one person who discovered his humanity during WWII and used all of his power for the best. He was praised as a "Rightous man" by the Council of Yad Vashem.
Steven Spielberg creates the most accurate and realistic vision of the genozide against the Jews through the hands of the Nazis that happened in WWII, mostly in the years 1939-1945, ever seen on the screen. His film is not only artistically and technically perfect, it also draws an image of how different humans act facing an tremandous war, facing human cruelty, facing a fascist regime. Steven Spielberg really drives far off from his entertaining blockbuster films here, in "Schindlers List", which is over three hours long, he shows the audiences that ONE PERSON can make a difference. That the responsability of your own actions never ends. Because whoever saves one life, saves the world entirly. Steven Spielberg has proven with this film that he is not only a good film director, but also an important one which everyone should respect. As I said above, "Schindlers List" is the most IMPORTANT film ever made.

10. Shining (Stanley Kubrick, 1980)

Well, at least one film of the late and great Stanley Kubrick made it into my TOP 10. Stanley Kubrick is considered by many to be the best filmmaker ever to have walked the earth. And I agree to a certain degree, he was definately the one filmmaker who constantly broke new ground. The problem that I have with Stanley Kubrick is just HOW MUCH of a genius he was. Sounds strange? Well, you know, some artists are just TOO intelligent for the rest of the world. They make it almost impossible to find the key to their works, they walk in a world with their art in which no one can follow them. Stanley Kubrick would be an example for that when it comes to filmmakers. Many people are just not able to understand what he is trying to say, thus resulting in those people not liking his films. However, even if you dont like the Stanley Kubrick films, you still have to admit that they are flawlessly executed. But how to get the true key to the mindscape of Stanley Kubrick? I honestly dont know if that is even possible. Who can say about himself that he totally, FULLY understood ALL of Stanley Kubricks films? Well, I for one cant say that about myself. I have no idea what he was trying to say with "2001: A Space Odyssee". I just didnt get it. While I kinda get his intention behind "A Clockwork Orange" I dont really can relate to it. It seems so...so off. So obviously my favourite movie of Stanley Kubrick is the one with the most appeal to the masses, the movie of which you probably would find the key to the easiest way. I am talking about Stanley Kubricks take on the Horror Genre: "Shining". While this is most likely the most artistic and multi layered Horror film ever made, it still reamains a classic Horror Film. Yes, it is an adaptation of the Stephen King Novel. But all Kubrick adapts are the names and the overall barebone concept. His focus is entirly different. One should not compare the Novel and the film because they are not even trying to be the same thing. Stanley Kubrick doesent tell the Story about the Overlook Hotel in the snowy Colorado Mountains as an classic haunted mansion story. He makes vanishing the line between reality and illusion in this building. Jack Torrance, a disturbed writer, takes on the job to look after the Overlook Hotel during the Winter Season. He is accompanied by his family, his wife and his little son. No one else will be in the Hotel with them for five months. It is hard to describe how the movie "Shining" gets the audience. This is one of these movies in which you KNOW that something terrible is going to happen, you can literally feel the evil forces rising. Jack Torrance seems a bit off mentally to begin with, but it gets worse week after week. He gets aggressive against his wife, he acts strange towards his son. He has gaps in his memory. He finds a ball party with hundreds of people. He gets drinks from the Barkeeper Lloydd. Delbert Grady, the Portier, lets him know that he is the caretaker. He has always been the caretaker. Jack Torrance glides more and more into insanity with each day going by. His wife has already gotten aware of how strange Jack acts. She wants to get help. She wants to get away from him with her son. But the Overlook Hotel wont let them escape so easily. All the tension, all the build up of Jacks glaring into insanity can only lead to one thing: A fatal and bloodthirsty killing spree. What is to mention about this movie? Well, for sure there is one thing more important than anything else: Jack Nicholson. Nicholsons portrayel of Jack Torrance is so convincing, it is actually scary. You really buy the nutjob from him. Why is he so incredibly good? Because he actually did went insane to a certain degree making this movie. Stanley Kubrick was demanding hundreds of takes from him, sometimes up to 50 takes for just one scene. The thing is, from a certain moment on he did not even have to PLAY the madman anymore, he was really NUTS. If you have to spill out the same lines and moves over and over again, maybe 50 times, doing it for 4 hours or more, you will definatly come accross as a nutjob. That is the secret. Jack Nicholson pulled it off perfectly. He gives a scary yet mesmerizing performance. Yes, I think one can really say that "Shining" is Stanley Kubricks most mass-appealing film. Dont get me wrong, you have to keep your brain focused for this Kubrick movie as well, but it does not deal with so many hidden themes, it is more about erasing the line between reality, illusion and dream. It is exciting and also thrilling. Kubricks "Shining" is probably one of the best Horror films ever made.

1. Jaws
2. The Birds/ Psycho/ rear window
3. Jurassic Park
4. Back to the Future
5. Wall-E
6. Gojira
7. Star wars
8. Cabin in the Woods
9. Little Shop of horrors
10. My cousin Vinnie

Last edited:
Here are my current top ten films.

1. The Dark Knight Rises/The Dark Knight.

2. The Shawshank Redemption.

3. The Majestic.

4. Ed Wood.

5. Dirty Harry.

6. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

7. The Searchers.

8. The Wizard of Oz.

Star Trek: First Contact.

9. Lord of the Rings Trilogy

10. Halloween II (2009)

Sadly, Zombie is one of the directors who is always going to be maligned, even though he has matured greatly as a filmmaker. The director's cut of the film is one of the most important horror films since The Shining. What makes it important? Like Dirty Harry, it deconstructs one of the famous American serial murder cases: the Manson Family. While Dirty Harry ignored the murder culture that has emerged in the past few decades, Zombie dives right into it. We see the victims trying to piece themselves together in a world that is as psychotic as the killer, Michael Myers. Zombie depicts this by having a sequence with a character named Chett, who is a serial killer groupie. He eagerly recounts the details of Myers's rampage, highlighting the depressing fact that the killers are immortalized, instead of their victims. This is expanded when one of the victim's fathers confronts Dr. Loomis at a book signing, where he fails to identify a high school photograph of the victim, even though he had no qualms with exploiting her death.

It is easy to see the similarities between Loomis and his real life counterpart, Vincent Bugliosi. Both started out meaning to help people, but when they failed, became self-parody when they began merchandising their failure to an all too eager audience.

Bringing our warped reality to life is a good cast with standout performances from McDowell and Dourif. Dourif delivers an award worthy performance as the father of a near victim, who is hiding his adopted daughter from the devastating truth about her relationship to the killer. The scene when he loses his daughter is gut-wrenching, and Dourif delivers it perfectly. Supplementing it is a home video of his onscreen daughter, Danielle Harris, from her childhood years.

Malcolm McDowell, on the other hand, handled his role well, considering in less skilled hands, it could have devolved to farce. Loomis' redemption at the end echoes the onscreen confrontation between Dr. Frankenstein and his monster.

These characters exist in a world that Zombie took time to create. We see where the counter-culture coffeehouse where the youth gather, when not in attendance at the town's Halloween rave, hosted by the television horror film host - a pisition and experience that sadly
went near extinct with the last drive-in,but is slowly returning. So, it is refreshing to see the events through the eyes of a diverse cast outside of the victims, including publicists, deputies, television reporters, farmers, and the fringe element.

Kundera said the novel is the paradise of the individual; I would like to argue the same can be said for film. Zombie takes us on a tour of a disquieting America, one soul at a time.

Edit:

I also want to comment on Zombie's treatment of violence. Instead of opting for the gimmick of writing the story around kills, Zombie depicts it as quick and brutal. Instead of cheering on the killer, one becomes sickened and unnerved with the violence. This, along with the aforementioned elements allowed the film to transcend the slasher genre and serve as an examination into society, like the first film ( which Mark Gatiss argues shows the paranoia and distrust of the government.)

1. Days of Heaven. The best love story I've ever seen, and that's an anti-love story between the three "family" members whose union is destroyed by the young man and woman's illicit scheme.

2. Spirited Away. The best animated film ever made. Delightful adventure drama of a young girl who learns to grow up by surviving a magical world right under our noses and more vital to us than we can ever know. Perfect in English and Japanese versions, the nearest we will ever get on screen to the feel of Carroll's Alice books.

3. Millennium Mambo - hypnotic story of a beautiful young woman at the cusp of her life, the point where her choice of two men, an abusive boyfriend or a friendly but doomed gangster, will change everything for her forever. More of a dream on celluloid than a narrative film, and all the better for it.

4. The Wizard of Oz. Seems to me the most perfectly paced film ever made, with no dull moments whatsoever. Seems to mask Baum's darkness under all the color and music, but these things only emphasize it in a way more potent than the underrated Return to Oz.

5. The NeverEnding Story. The best kind of story in the world: a young boy on the run from a father who doesn't understand him and school fellows who won't let him be, escapes into another world through a magical book that has been waiting for HIM -- and for every child lucky enough to find it. The Nothing, the childlike empress, fantasy doesn't get much better than this.

6. The Godfather I and II. Majestic epic romance (in the medieval sense of the word) more about family, manhood, fathers and sons, than about crime. And all those quotes.

7. The Big Sleep. Bogie and Bacall at their best. The best film noir ever made (yes, better than Maltese Falcon). Atmosphere, crackling story, a sexy lead pair, a badass Humphrey.

8. The Thin Man. Brilliantly comic detective story actually takes a back seat to the loving, wisecracking pair--alcoholic detective genius Nick and seemingly ditzy but in truth whip smart and awesome Nora -- (and Asta). May be the best portrayal of a happy marriage film has ever given us, and proof that happiness indeed can be cinematic.

9. The Sound of Music. Harder to appreciate after years of absorbing Pauline Kael's take down, but I still remember seeing this at a hospital with an in-house theater when I was a boy, and the sight of Julie Andrews singing all those great songs in all those Austrian vistas is unforgettable.

10. Romeo and Juliet (Zeffirelli version). Number 10 could go to a number of films (Mulholland Drive, Princess Mononoke, Star Wars: A New Hope (or Empire Strikes Back), Seventh Seal, 2001, Barry Lyndon, Shadow of a Doubt, West Side Story, Show Me Love, Meet Me In St. Louis--the last three might make number 10 if I did this tomorrow), but this has proved the most re-watchable for me ever since I saw this at a Bronx library as a kid. What a way to discover Shakespeare--Olivia Hussey, still the best Juliet ever, Nino Rota's score, using actual kids and Italian setting and the most erotic bedroom-at-dawn scene ever.

If I could put an 11th and it wasn't one of the films named above: A Tale of Two Sisters. Not the scariest horror film ever made, but one of the most emotionally harrowing and beautifully shot.

Last edited:
I think Zombie is one of those directors that will get better with age. I almost put The Devils Rejects on my top 10, but there were more deserving pictures that I wanted on the list. I'd put The Devils Rejects on my top 15 though for sure

Hm, I guess it is wasted time to make long write ups on this boards. I should rather write for The New York Times.

Seriously, cant I even get a little tl;dr?

tl;dr for the movies I don't like :)

too long; didn't read

Oh I see. It's not that the posts were too long to read, I just wasn't interested in the movies listed.

Tough to do just 10.

_ The Night of the Hunter
_ Grand Illusion
_ Barry Lyndon
_ Carpenter's The Thing
_ Alien
_ Good Fellas
_ One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
_ Dog Day Afternoon
_ Deliverance
_ Rio Bravo

Movies:
Goodfellas
Raging Bull
Pulp Fiction
The Shining
Fight Club
Scarface
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II
Bronson
The Dark Knight

Villains:
Darth Vader
The Joker (The Dark Knight)
Hannibal Lecter (The Silence of the Lambs)
Hans Landa
Tyler Durden
Frank Costello
Jack Torrence
Alex DeLarge
Roy Batty
The Xenomorph (Alien)

Heroes:

Jules Winnfield
Batman (The Dark Knight Legend)
Lisbeth Salander (Mara)
Vito Corleone
Det. Somerset
Harry Callahan
The Dude
Forrest Gump
The Bride
Shosanna Dreyfus

Yeah, that sounds about right.

sure...as soon as you tell me what tl:dr is?

Yeah, I know my list wasent comic-booky enough.

Whilst I really enjoy CBMs they just dont make for flawless or timeless masterpieces. They just dont have that quality. Nolans Batman came close but compared to the movies I listed (and also explained why I listed them) even NOlans Batman seems pretty bland.

Thats how it is. But many Comic-Geeks just wont face the fact that movies by true masters about truly interesting themes are much better than every CBM can ever get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"