Your Top 3 Action Sequences (No Lightsaber duels)

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
Simple premise, I'll start. :)

1. Obi-Wan vs Jango Fett

2. Airspeeder chase across Coruscant

3. The Battle of Geonosis

Those would be my three as well, Hunter. But I would have the Battle of Geonosis as my #1.

I kind of liked Obi Wan vs Jango fight, since, it's rare to see a Jedi fight in a non-lightsaber duel.

1. Battle Over Coruscant
2. Obi-Wan vs Jango Fett
3. Battle on Geonosis

What, no love for the Pod Race?

:p

Definitely the battle of Geonosis.

Seriously, I loved the Podrace....

A large part of that may be due to childhood nostalgia...

Battle of Coruscant
Podracing
Obi vs. Boba

Just three? this is almost impossible :csad: but i'll cheat a bit :cwink:. In no particular order:

Obi-Wan vs Jango on Kamino + Asteroid chase (AOTC): that sound of complete silence before unleashing hell is probably mone of my favorites from the PT alongside with Boga's sounds :oldrazz:

Battle over Coruscant (ROTS): i just love how the drums beat and how the two jedi starfighters go into action.

Podrace (TPM): people can say whatever they want, but i still enjoy this one.

Other notable mentions:
- Chase through Coruscant (AOTC)
- Grievous vs Obi-Wan (ROTS)
- Battle of Geonosis (AOTC)

^^^ Grievous vs Obi-Wan is always a mixed bag for me, I like some of it but feel they missed out on a lot of potential.

Seriously, I loved the Podrace....

A large part of that may be due to childhood nostalgia...

I like the Podrace as well, although I wish I was young enough to call it part of my childhood lol.

I know some people hated him, but i like Grievous. He's just a cowardly character who runs when he's unmatched. I enjoyed his fight with Obi-Wan, especially the bit where they fight hand to hand so to speak, and poor Obi gets punched around a bit (not to mention that we see Kenobi handle a blaster). The part where he kicks Grievous and yells out never fails to crack me up :hehe:. I do wish they hadnt shown Grievous' arms splitting into 4 before the movie though, that would have been a cool surprise. And of course, the lead in to the fight with Ewan's "Hello there" line is pure awesomeness imo :hrt:

Oh, and i forgot to add Order 66 as one of my favorite sequences. Still breaks my heart when i watch it today :(

I looooooove Grievous, but the idea of 4 lightsabers against one sounds way cooler on paper than what we got. I didn't care for the helicopter use of them in RotS.

Order 66 is a beautifully sad and great sequence. Didn't know if it would fit as an "action sequence" though.

I know some people hated him, but i like Grievous. He's just a cowardly character who runs when he's unmatched. I enjoyed his fight with Obi-Wan, especially the bit where they fight hand to hand so to speak, and poor Obi gets punched around a bit (not to mention that we see Kenobi handle a blaster). The part where he kicks Grievous and yells out never fails to crack me up :hehe:. I do wish they hadnt shown Grievous' arms splitting into 4 before the movie though, that would have been a cool surprise. And of course, the lead in to the fight with Ewan's "Hello there" line is pure awesomeness imo :hrt:

Oh, and i forgot to add Order 66 as one of my favorite sequences. Still breaks my heart when i watch it today :(

I love the way Obi-Wan kills him with the blaster and then makes the little comment that riffs of the seen between old Ben and Han in ANH. :D

The thing that ruins grevious IMO is the fact he was SO much cooler in the original clone wars shorts. He wasn't a coward, he was a powerful General who was changing the tide of the war. Then in Sith he's kinda pathetic, I guess if they made him as cool as he was in the cartoon he'd take away from Anakin but still it just felt like such a waste of potential to me. Even back then I was extremely disappointed with him.

Everything was way exagerated in the first CW shorts lol. He was still running though, remember the episode of his kidnapping Palps. Man, Shaak Ti rocked in that one :woot:

I dunno, i kinda like him as a coward. With regular jedi he could be intimidating and brutal, but once things got even or he realized he was overmatched, he ran.

1.Obi-Wan Vs Jango
2.Obi-Wan vs Grievous chase/fight at the launch pad.
3.Coruscant speeder chase

Obi-wan vs Jango
Battle over Coruscant
Obi-wan vs Grievous

Republic Army vs Seperatists Space Battle (in ROTS)
Jango Fett vs Obi Wan
Battle on Kashyyk

1. Battle Over Coruscant
2. Battle on Geonosis
3. Obi-Wan vs Jango Fett

The thing that ruins grevious IMO is the fact he was SO much cooler in the original clone wars shorts. He wasn't a coward, he was a powerful General who was changing the tide of the war. Then in Sith he's kinda pathetic, I guess if they made him as cool as he was in the cartoon he'd take away from Anakin but still it just felt like such a waste of potential to me. Even back then I was extremely disappointed with him.

Eh... he does run, but then when he gets cornered he still gets pretty nasty doesn't he. Also he didn't start running from Obi-Wan until he pushed him against the ceiling, so :)
Seems to me like a guy who just knows the 1st rule of self-defense ;)

Anyways, mine would be:
Chase sequences:
1) Pod race (the rhythm, the sound design - just ****ing piece of art).
2) Asteroid chase, close second (AWESOME blue bombs, other stuff's "just" cool though).
3) Feels slightly cartoony, but they have fun with the speeder sounds and it's still ****ing cool

Large scale battles:
1) Geonosis - once Yoda arrives. Not that the preceding phase isn't awesome, but we said no lightsabers, and it just doesn't compare to the ****ing ART unleashed once they fly into the desert.
Great rhythm, love the "chaotic shaky-cam" feel to it (nothing too fancy, just a little bit here and there) and how the ships growl towards and past the camera, the gritty visuals and the smoke and rockets owkjkrewlakjesvwtr
2) Sith opening, until the droid antics begin - great "punchline" right at the beginning, continued with stylish looks and an overall "grand" feel to it.
3) TPM space battle just had a great epic feel to it, minus childish Anakin; with an air of "despair" that wasn't quite there in Jedi (ironically so), and a powerful climax.
The undeniably moody supense intro aside, the gungan fight's obviously a joke overall :D

Non lightsaber fights:
1) Every "short burst of droid slicing" in I/III's respective opening sequences at the battle stations. Just so... concise. The droidekas bit from TPM and its superspeed punchline take the cake.
2) Jango Fett, nuff said. Cartoony CG Obi-Wan somewhat takes away from it.
Haven't included Grievous - I like it, but not particularly as an action scene, moreso for the entertaining character bits.

Additional notes:
-hate, hate, hate the "droid factory" one. Yes, it's creative, looks and sounds cool, but boy does it feel cheap and unnecessary (and given the prequels, that's saying quite a bit). The schizophrenic score's unbelievably annoying, why didn't they keep the original one from the CD? RTZUIUERWZTPBXC
-cool robots vs. clones/wookies stuff around the middle of ROTS, but more of a canvas background and not particularly memorable; the whole dragon chase feels more like a part of that than anything that stands out. But let's all give honrary props to the "scorpion crawl" and "Grievous-wheel sliding down the slope" shots - creative as **** :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"