You're the critic: 25 words or less on the 5 main Bat-films

TLH

Hypnotized
Reaction score
Alright, this is fairly self-explanatory. You will review in 25 words or less: Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, and Batman Begins. If you can't keep it under 25 words, then try not to go beyond 2 sentences. You will then rate the film out of 10. You can give any increment of points, i.e: 7.3 etc...

There have been many threads on each film individually, some for praise and other for criticism; I think it's time we finally see what everybody thinks about each Bat film in short and to-the-point reviews.

So here goes...

Batman (9.3/10)
-An absolute classic; wonderfully acted, atmospheric and occasionally moving. I get excited whenever I watch it.
Batman Returns (9.1/10)
-Gothic and bizarre. Takes everything that made the original so great and improves upon it. Needed a bit more Bruce Wayne/Batman.
Batman Forever (6.5/10)
-Hit and miss, but succeeds as entertainment. An O.K effort that is hindered by a lazy script and weak directing.
Batman & Robin (4.1/10)
-Easy on the eyes, but not much else. Action sequences don't dazzle like they should, dialogue is heavily salted with one-liners.
Batman Begins (9.7/10)
-A fantastic origin story that is mature, guided by a great script, and frantic pacing; is never boring, and actually about Batman. Awesome ending.

Your turn...

Probably went over 25

Batman 7.5

Good, not great, less batman more joker, style over substance, usual Tim Burton.

Batman returns 8.1

Better than the first, great looking movie, more Tim Burton than batman, cat woman a zombie, penguin mutant, again,. style over substance.

Batman Forever 6.0

Good batman, bad batman movie, it's like a 2 hour gay disco, even more out of character than Tim Burton's movies

Batman And Robin 1.0

It's like a gay disco, in winter, like batman? Joel Schuacher will make you ashamed to admit so in public.

Batman begins (9.5)

Better than Burtons and Joel Schumachers, accessible to both fans and non-fans, needs more coat compliments.

BATMAN (8.5/10)
-A magical film that I seem to grow to love more with each subsequent viewing.
Batman Returns (8.0/10)
-The boldest Batman film to date more film school than comic book.
Batman Forever (7.0/10)
-Fun at times but also frustrating to watch in parts. I love Val Kilmer in this his scenes definitely make the movie.
Batman & Robin (4.0/10)
-Worst replay value out of all the live action jawns. Has some brief redeemable moments but overall a very boring film.
Batman Begins (8.0/10)
-Second worst replay value out of the series just too self indulgent & filled with too much pointless exposition for my tastes though it is good.

Basically there is yet to be a live action Batman film that warrants a 9 or more on my scale. They all have things that I love about them and each has an element that could be used on the ultimate Batman film but that film has yet to be made. TDK sounds like it might just be the one finally but I'll wait till July to make sure.

Batman (8.5/10)
Bends the rules with the superhero genre and succeeds, a metaphorical study of the charcters... Beautiful, acted flawlessly and a classic movie!!

Batman Returns (9/10)
A better movie... Deep character study... looks great... very independant feel!!

Batman Forever (6.5/10)
Fell short of potential, waaay short... but fun, lighthearted popcorn batman with a physcological imprint in the background. Family Batman with an edge perhaps!

Batman and Robin (4/10)
A parody of batman forever... with bigger, larger and more misjudged elements unfortunately. despite this, Production design costumes etc was the best of the series. (in execution only)

Batman Begins (9.5/10)
Superb script and origin story... faithful with masterful performances...good music. Chris Nolan truly gets it and most importantly... Batman is the focus!!

Batman- 9.45 out of 10

A classic, Batman the way he was meant to be, Tim Burton and Michael Keaton bring the Dark Knight to life! It's Spectacular!

Batman Returns- 9.4 out of 10

Burton shows his great vision of Batman again, making another classic, a great movie that should of received more respect. Very Entertaining, Pfeiffer is Awesome!

Batman Forever - 7.9 out of 10

Good at best, Schumacher does a horrible job, Val Kilmer is a cool Batman, The movie has its great moments ,no match for Batman Returns.

Batman and Robin -4.0 out of 10

How did we go from Batman '89 to this? George Clooney, Batman? Batgirl?
Schumacher at his worst! But its still a Batman movie. Very Bad.

Batman Begins- 9.7 out of 10

AWESOME! Bale best Batman yet! Great Story! Best Superhero movie yet!
Almost perfect. A very powerful film. A Masterpiece!!!!!!!

Batman: (8.5/10)

Tim Burton is a visual God and his Joker is the most faithful live action adaptation of the character. Incredibly weak story, however, but Prince more than makes up for it. :o

Batman Returns: (9/10)

The changes on Penguin are without a doubt the best treatment the character has ever gotten. Catwoman is absolutely chilling, as are the visuals. BR would be a 10 if not for the weak story.

Batman Forever: (5/10)

Cheap psychology and Joel Schumacher--need I say more?

Batman and Robin: (3/10)

No.

Batman Begins: (9/10)

A movie actually about BATMAN and without a doubt the best story and plot of any Batman film EVAH. Katie Holmes killed the 10 rating, however.

Batman Forever (6.5/10)
-Hit and miss, but succeeds as entertainment. An O.K effort that is hindered by a lazy script and weak directing.
[/B]

How can you criticise Batman Forever as a lazy script when Batman & Robin is simply a carbon copy with the emotion and character development removed?

Forever has a better script than Batman, Batman has a very straight forward script indeed.

I tried 25 words or less...but f**k that...

Batman: (8/10)

The tone and atmosphere is nothing short of iconic, much like the character himself. Honest nostalgic approach; more memorable for the imagery than the paper-thin plot. Definately refreshing following the 66 show and film.

Personal choice for best live action installment. Too Burton? Nonsense. The cinematography is hauntingly beautiful. Plot is improved this time around. Though more correlation to the previous installment would've been nice, I respect the "next chapter" approach. Animal/Freak motif is a PLUS.

Batman Forever: (7/10)

A lighter tone doesn't hurt anyone. Kilmer and Carrey give the best performances, while Tommy Lee and O'Donnell miss the mark. The most "Comic-Book" Comic Book Movie I've seen. Visuals are bold and exciting and kinetic. Plot is on a slightly lower level than "Returns" and the film overall is not nearly as bad as others would like you to believe.

Batman and Robin: (6/10)

Valid as any other, though admittedly the least favorable of the films. Contrary to belief, taking a deeper look, Arnold has his moments and he works within the character at these moments (all material where Freeze has Nora on his mind is quite good). Action is the broadest and most over the top it's been, which has it's pros and cons. Gough's best performance.

Batman Begins: (8/10)

The thickest Plot in a Batman film, but said plot is relentlessly spoonfed throughout. Nevertheless, it brought Batman back into the shadows following the previous film. Good sense of physical action, very beautiful camera work. Editing is a little too chopped for my tastes. Score is bland and repetative following Elfman (and even Goldenthal though to a lesser degree). Strongest cast (Holmes doesn't do enouh damage to deter that fact).

--------------

ALL of them are to be commended for the hard work and passion that went into the creation of each installment. As a filmmaker that understands just how difficult this creative process is, I highly respect every single cast and crew member involved with bringing my favorite comic book character, his allies, his rogues and their adventures to life.

--------------

CFE

I tried 25 words or less...but f**k that...

Batman: (8/10)

The tone and atmosphere is nothing short of iconic, much like the character himself. Honest nostalgic approach; more memorable for the imagery than the paper-thin plot. Definately refreshing following the 66 show and film.

Personal choice for best live action installment. Too Burton? Nonsense. The cinematography is hauntingly beautiful. Plot is improved this time around. Though more correlation to the previous installment would've been nice, I respect the "next chapter" approach. Animal/Freak motif is a PLUS.

Batman Forever: (7/10)

A lighter tone doesn't hurt anyone. Kilmer and Carrey give the best performances, while Tommy Lee and O'Donnell miss the mark. The most "Comic-Book" Comic Book Movie I've seen. Visuals are bold and exciting and kinetic. Plot is on a slightly lower level than "Returns" and the film overall is not nearly as bad as others would like you to believe.

Batman and Robin: (6/10)

Valid as any other, though admittedly the least favorable of the films. Contrary to belief, taking a deeper look, Arnold has his moments and he works within the character at these moments (all material where Freeze has Nora on his mind is quite good). Action is the broadest and most over the top it's been, which has it's pros and cons. Gough's best performance.

Batman Begins: (8/10)

The thickest Plot in a Batman film, but said plot is relentlessly spoonfed throughout. Nevertheless, it brought Batman back into the shadows following the previous film. Good sense of physical action, very beautiful camera work. Editing is a little too chopped for my tastes. Score is bland and repetative following Elfman (and even Goldenthal though to a lesser degree). Strongest cast (Holmes doesn't do enouh damage to deter that fact).

--------------

ALL of them are to be commended for the hard work and passion that went into the creation of each installment. As a filmmaker that understands just how difficult this creative process is, I highly respect every single cast and crew member involved with bringing my favorite comic book character, his allies, his rogues and their adventures to life.

--------------

CFE

Yeah, well covered. :up:

Batman (8/10)
- Good, dark interpretation of the character but too much focus on Joker rather than Batman himself.

Batman Returns (7/10)
- Still good, but a little too dark and Burton. Didn't feel much like a Batman movie to me.

Batman Forever (6/10)
- A decent script can't compensate for poor direction and extremely corny villains.

Batman & Robin (2/10)
- WTF?

Batman Begins (8.5/10)
- A great take on the character with top directing and cast. Still a little overrated, and the editing was too choppy in action sequences.

Batman 8.5/10
- Good pioneer work, awesome Joker, they really tried to do the comics justice, story has flaws

Batman Returns 7.0/10
- Entertaining and visually good, but too expresonistic and grotesque. Hated the change of the penguin and catwoman.

Batman Forever 5.0/10
- A few good things, but absolutely annoying villains.

Batman & Robin 6.5/10
- Awesome CGI, well executed, sometimes funny but many bad things and we all know them. But it's entertaining.

Batman Begins 7.5/10
- Has the typical problem of movies that show the origin, too much is explained, the second part is boring. But a good start for a new series although it has nothing special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"