Zack Snyder’s Rebel Moon | Netflix

Pennywise

Avenger
Reaction score
Zack Snyder Sets Next Movie, Sci-Fi Adventure ‘Rebel Moon’ At Netflix – The Hollywood Reporter

Snyder has set his next project, an epic sci-fi fantasy titled Rebel Moon that he is co-writing and will direct and produce for Netflix, the home of his most recent hit, Army of the Dead. And it re-teams the filmmaker with many of the creative colleagues of his past original ventures.

Snyder is co-writing the script with Army co-screenwriter Shay Hatten and Kurt Johnstad, who co-wrote 300, Snyder’s stylish sword-and-sandal flick adapting the Frank Miller comic. Snyder and Johnstad will receive story by credit.

And he will produce with wife and producing partner Deborah Snyder via the duo’s Stone Quarry along with longtime principal Wesley Coller. Eric Newman, who produced Snyder’s 2004 feature debut, Dawn of the Dead, as well as movies ranging from Children of Men and Project Power to Bright and the upcoming Spiderhead, is producing via his banner, Grand Electric. Grand Electric’s Sarah Bowen will exec produce.

Rebel also puts Snyder back in business with Netflix’s Scott Stuber, who oversaw Dawn of the Dead in his then role of vice-chairman of Universal and was instrumental in bringing in Army of the Dead.

The story is set in motion when a peaceful colony on the edge of the galaxy is threatened by the armies of a tyrannical regent named Balisarius. Desperate people dispatch a young woman with a mysterious past to seek out warriors from neighboring planets to help them make a stand.

“This is me growing up as an Akira Kurosawa fan, a Star Wars fan,” Snyder tells The Hollywood Reporter. “It’s my love of sci-fi and a giant adventure. My hope is that this also becomes a massive IP and a universe that can be built out.”

Rebel finds the germs of its origins in a Star Wars pitch the filmmaker had developed a decade ago. It was a more mature take on the universe created by George Lucas and didn’t move beyond any meaningful conversations after the Walt Disney Company acquired LucasFilm in 2012. At one point, he and Newman even went down the path of making it a series.

But it was as a feature that he felt its true potential lay. He began reworking the idea with Johnstad and really dove in at the same time as he began making Army of the Dead, bringing in that movie’s co-scribe, Hatten. The latter, at 27, had quietly become an in-demand franchise writer, deepening the world of John Wick for Lionsgate by working on the third and upcoming fourth and fifth installments.

Man, I want to be excited for this. But Army of the Dead was such a disappointment. On the flip side, I loved his Justice League cut.

Haven’t bothered watching Army of the Dead, tbh.

I also really liked the Snyder Cut as well!

Haven’t bothered watching Army of the Dead, tbh.
And continue to not bother with it since it’s pretty bad.
Man, I want to be excited for this. But Army of the Dead was such a disappointment. On the flip side, I loved his Justice League cut.
This can go either way quality wise. One of the writers for Army Of The Dead is on this, so that doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence in this being good. However I am intrigued about this being a big budget space fantasy epic. I’m curious what a Snyder Star Wars would be like, and this will be the closest to actually getting that.

Although, it is cool that his Star Wars pitch came to fruition, sort of.

Still, I have very divided opinions on his films for the most part.

I hope he reveals what his original pitch was someday.

Zack Snyder's Star Wars movie is now an original project | GamesRadar+

Vulture reported back in 2013 that Snyder had a movie inspired by Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai in the works at Lucasfilm. The movie would have focused on a group of Jedi, but would not have been connected to the Skywalker Saga.

Happy Sad Confused podcast. "But it never – I've been working on it, just away from the Star Wars universe, just on my own, just as a sci-fi thing... It's still a sci-fi thing, it's the same story, just kind of – now it's... I'm kind of, let Star Wars be Star Wars... The 11 year old me still wants to make that, now I just know how to, so maybe we'll see that someday."

Snyder needs to get Larry Fong to lens this.

Larry Fong is too busy

6y5wrlepki071.png

I'll watch it, but I'm expecting it to be more interesting and admirable than good. I'm just glad to see him do his original stuff. I just wish he'd just direct a good script and not be involved from a writing standpoint.

"Snyder is co-writing the script" already losing interest in this, the man shouldnt have a hand in writing at all.

But lets see Footage first, its snyder yeah...but Snyder scifi could possibly work.
Lets see what exactly is snyders genre, superheroes isnt it and seeing as how awful AOTD was...zombie movies arent it either anymore.

I could see Snyders style work well in scifi or western.
Im slightly curious about this.

Or a mythology movie?

Anyway... Yeah, he has good ideas from time to time AFTER reading a script like the mano a mano battle in MOS that otherwise would've ended conventionally with everyone disappearing into the Phantom Zone per Goyer's hacked out script.

That being said, at least this is a straight adaptation to minimize the bad decision making from a story standpoint. From a directing standpoint he's got a pretty good eye for how to shape things but he just can't meld the story too much. Therefore, I think if he sticks to the actual story this might actually work.

The Watchmen adaptation held pretty well except for the changed ending which some thought was better than the comic in some ways... The Nightowl beating up Veidt at the end wasn't in the comic though nor the fact he even bothered to go out to see his friend Rorscharch die (in the comic I saw this as a character flaw of his that Snyder of course chose to fix...).

So yeah, Snyder inevitably will make bad decisions where things deviate from the actual story. He needs someone to filter this and he's good.

Will wait and see until we get our first look at footage.

I’ll watch this just so all the jokes in the Pitch Meeting land perfectly.

Rebel Moon: Zack Snyder May Bring Familiar Faces

The new movie is called Rebel Moon, and it's a project Snyder has wanted to work on for some time. As development for that film continues, the Snyder will eventually start piecing together its cast, and there's a good chance he calls up some familiar faces. While talking with ComicBook.com about the upcoming Army of Thieves, Snyder said he'd be interested in bringing some of his usual suspects back for Rebel Moon.

"Always. I mean, I love my guys. I always call these guys. I like my acting family and I always, if they're not busy or whatever, it's always an honor to get to work with them again," Snyder told us. "Like Billy Crudup and all those guys. It's always like, these are people. It's just that I have been really fortunate and worked with such great people and consider so many of them my friends that, yeah, that'd be great."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"