Zack Snyder Reveals Watchmen Details

FlawlessVictory

Superhero
Reaction score
Zack Snyder Reveals Watchmen Details - CGI Choices and More!

February 11, 2007
by Alex Billington

Fans of Watchmen unite - the project is finally moving along positively! Director Zack Snyder, who's currently out promoting his Spartan epic 300, answered some questions to press about the comic book adaptation. Zack started off by saying, “I feel like the movie is in a pretty cool place. I think the script is starting to become pretty cool.” He also added that “we're trying to get a budget together now” and “I've been drawing away, you know. I think it's coming along, so they say.” Zack also discussed the movie's setting and CGI choices.

Although he wouldn't reveal anything about the actors or who they might be, he did say that, “it's cool because in some ways you can get real actors, you don't have to go ‘Hollywood.’ ” And also about when production may start, stating “they have talked about maybe shooting in the summer” - which was also confirmed as a possibility at a later press conference by his wife, Deborah Snyder, who is an executive producer on both 300 and Watchmen.

Zack also says he's setting his film in 1985 and comments:

“There has been a push on I think everybody's… on the other scripts that exist about trying to update the movie or make it take place in present day, or things of that nature. I think that by setting the movie in ‘85, by having the Cold War, having Nixon, having all that stuff you reinvigorate what the story is about. It allows all the metaphors…”
“I think what Alan Moore has, in his book, the comic he's made about authority and government and all those things, they're big themes. Maybe if you make that movie right, [then] what that has to say makes people think about what's happening maybe now or in their own lives. That's my hope for what the movie can be.”
And finally, he discusses just how much CGI he may use:

“The idea of Watchmen is not to do a CGI movie, but to do it when it's necessary. Like when Doc Manhattan goes to Mars, there's an issue here, we've got to figure that out. We can't go to Mars, I know, a lot people are going to be disappointed by that - but I just don't have the money. Antarctica also, there's no Carnac built there. I know, again, we should probably build it and then go film it there, but I don't think they're going let us do that. So those two things right off the bat you can think about. Dr. Manhattan himself, what do you do, how do you make him - how do you render him. Rorschach's mask. There's things that have to be dealt with and figured out. But I think that the appetite for me is to make a movie that feel's more like Taxi Driver than like Fantastic Four, again. So it's a balance.”

Zack also says, “go see 300!” as the best way to help Watchmen (maybe even get a bigger budget) and includes that the studio doesn't “understand why it's not Fantastic Four. I have to remind them, I go, ‘look, it's much more Strangelove than Fantastic Four,’ which they don't like hearing.” So if you are a fan of Watchmen, go see 300, and stay tuned for what sounds like an incredible project that may be starting very soon.

source: http://www.firstshowing.net/2007/02/11/zack-snyder-watchmen/

wow...that actually sounds...not horrible...it seems he actually gets it...

Hell, with the latest WB announcements on Wonder Woman, Flash, and Ronin, I wouldn't be surprised if Snyder is let go on this project and replaced with Paul Anderson.

Hell, with the latest WB announcements on Wonder Woman, Flash, and Ronin, I wouldn't be surprised if Snyder is let go on this project and replaced with Paul Anderson.

True but Zack is currently working on the film, has a film they like out in a few weeks, the others they were off for awhile and just announced it.

True but Zack is currently working on the film, has a film they like out in a few weeks, the others they were off for awhile and just announced it.

I certainly hope he stays attached. Just saying not much would surprise me anymore.

I certainly hope he stays attached. Just saying not much would surprise me anymore.
You were surprised Whedon and Goyer were let go after a solid year of scripting problems and an inability to move forward with either film?

You were surprised Whedon and Goyer were let go after a solid year of scripting problems and an inability to move forward with either film?

I was a little surprised with Whedon, not so much with Goyer. The Levy and the "Stomp the Yard" guy were hired and now I don't think anything can.

Well we all know that Matt Dillon should play The Comedian. And if they could get Russell Crowe for Rorschach, it would be awesome. If not, def. somebody with that gritty, detective type of look/acting ability. If Dr. Manhattan were to be played by someone, although I think CGI would be the way to go, who should be cast as him? If only Ben Kingsley were 20 years younger.

the studio doesn't “understand why it's not Fantastic Four. I have to remind them, I go, ‘look, it's much more Strangelove than Fantastic Four,’ which they don't like hearing.”

This quote from Snyder says it all. Whedon and Goyer being let go of their respective movies has everything to do with the suits at Warners wanting another Fantastic Four style family friendly super hero flick. Whatever Whedon and Goyer were planning, based on what they've written before, you know it would have been edgier, which is what they don't want.

I had an aquaintince who worked at Paramount when Watchmen was over there, and she said the suits at that studio were mortified of Watchmen, simply because they couldn't sell toys and happy meals with it. The film itself was secondary to them, and they eventually let it drop. I think the people in charge over at Warners are gonna be egually afraid of it, unless they can make it as cost effective as V for Vendetta was. Here's hoping someone at Warners can see beyond the film as product and see the film as actual art.

http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_xevidmegafx&Itemid=139&func=detail&id=142
Video interview with Snyder.
Sorry to read that the guy is looking for non-stars for the role of the Watchhmen, as having an all-star cast (and he could easily) would make this movie a bigger success than V for Vendetta.
Just to remind, for the Greengrass version they were in talks with Joaquin Phoenix, Daniel Craig, Brad Pitt and Hilary Swank. And Jude Law was also interested in the project.

This is in my "believe it when i see it" pile

I can't imagine 300 being any sort of smash success, so it's likely that WATCHMEN may be put on hold. Again.

Still, Zack's comments are encouraging. I'm not totally enthralled with the guy (I'm still dubious as far as his talent goes), but I know he's going to do a respectful version, at the very least.

I hope 300 is a success.:up:

I like what hes saying except I think he will need a name actor. He definity knows what the book is about and the message in it. I love to see Edward Norton play Rorschach, Brad Pitt plat Ozmaydias, Kate Beckinsale for Silk Spretre 2, Sam Rockwell as Niteowl 2, Ron Perlman as the Comedian. I can't spell right now so sorry for any errors.

http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_xevidmegafx&Itemid=139&func=detail&id=142
Video interview with Snyder.
Sorry to read that the guy is looking for non-stars for the role of the Watchhmen, as having an all-star cast (and he could easily) would make this movie a bigger success than V for Vendetta.
Just to remind, for the Greengrass version they were in talks with Joaquin Phoenix, Daniel Craig, Brad Pitt and Hilary Swank. And Jude Law was also interested in the project.

You defintaley need to go outside of Hollywood for Rorschach. People keep suggesting Edward Norton and people like that, but how is Edward Norton supposed to pass in the background unnoticed by the audience? And would the audience really be surprised by Rorschach looking liked Edward Norton does? Rorschach's real face is supposed to surprise the hell out of you, because you never thought he'd look like that. That's not Norton.

Zack and his missus Deborah, that is.

Hopefully, the recent two year first-look deal that the Snyders have just signed up to with Warner Bros will prevent their being unceremoniously jettisoned from the WATCHMEN project whilst it remains with that studio:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117958298.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&query=watchmen

Now, I'm not adverse to a little top drawer 'name' talent gettin' onboard to boost the buzz (and budget) surrounding this movie, but for me it's still gotta be one particular lesser profile but nonetheless sublime acting talent playing the innocuous placard weilding vagrant in the background and his fearsome alter-ego...

rorschachjq9.jpg

DOUG HUTCHISON IS RORSCHACH!
Never surrender. Never compromise.

No Mars scene? Oh this sucks :( :down

Still, I trust Snyder and I will surely check out 300 :)

Er, that's not actually what he said...

I believe this was an attempt at sarcastic humour on Snyder's part and a gentle dig at the hordes of slavish fanboys (hi guys) out there, as in he's sorry to report that he won't be leading a real mission to the planet Mars in order to shoot those scenes, just as he won't be building a full size fortress down in the Antarctic.

It's clear that CGI will be necessary to recreate these scenes which I'm sure he has every intention of including; he's previously gone on record to say that he won't be going down the 300 (and Sin City before it) route of filming everything against green screen in order to create a deliberate hyper stylised effect.

You defintaley need to go outside of Hollywood for Rorschach. People keep suggesting Edward Norton and people like that, but how is Edward Norton supposed to pass in the background unnoticed by the audience?
Make-up.

You'd have to shrink him down, too.. the dude's tall!

To stay faithful to the comic character, that's all gonna add up to an expensive piece o' casting to make it work.

Doug = 5' 06" :cwink:

I remember hearing that John Cusack was attached at one point as Nite Owl, and I think that would be perfect. Everyone else...I have to lean towards unknown, or at least not big name actors. One of the major things that made Watchmen so powerful is that the way Gibbons drew it, everyone looked like normal people. They all had that slightly off, not wuite perfect look. I love Nite-Owl's pudge. It makes him so accessible.

In that regard, I really think that they need more unknowns so as to see more realistic.

But more than anything, the acting must be what drives the casting, not the name nor the look. I personally think that Rorschach and Dr. Manhatten will make or break this film.

I say cast the best. If Brad Pitt is the best and is willing to take a pay cut I say cast him. Its taken 20 years for the film, might as well get the best actors. Its not like WB will try a remake in 15 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"