Zazie Beets officially cast as Domino in Deadpool 2

Discussion in 'Deadpool 2' started by SocietalStain, Mar 9, 2017.

1. jmc away for a while

The idea of luck being a power is dumb on paper until you see it in action.

2. Teelie Jokerface

As for what I read, she actually was sort of at one point. Though in the comics she's a mimic who merely pretended to be.

Anyhow, people are way too touchy on black Domino. People weren't this touchy with Hugh Jackman being Wolverine who is meant to be a squat little guy and not someone over 6' yet he's well recieved.

3. GuestStar2004 Registered

She had cool final destination powers.

4. DJ Kornphlake Registered

You must not have been on forums before the first X-Men movie came out, because people were definitely not happy that a tall actor was playing Wolverine.

5. GuestStar2004 Registered

Funny that Deadpool brings up Cables height not being like the comics.

6. Nathan Registered

His height is still my only nitpick. But other than that, he looks like he came straight out of the comic. This isn't even comparable to Domino's situation, who looks like a completely made-up character.

[​IMG]

7. Teelie Jokerface

I wasn't on these forums though I do remember people complaining about the height, it was not the exaggerated complaints Domino has either. Then again the internet was less hostile towards... everything back in the late 1990's/eary 2000's.

She looks like Domino to me, only color reversed as far as that goes (and given the lack of prominent black female heroes outside of Storm and Black Panther in cinema, is not a problem for me). Domino hasn't maintained an exact look over the decades in the comics either, further diluting this "she looks nothing like her" claim. Her hair style, clothing style and other aspects have been altered a lot from her first appearance.

Domino has two traits that stand out: Unnaturally white and a black circle around her left eye. The only way Deadpool's Domino could be any more like her reversed image is if she were incredibly black and with an even whiter circle around her left eye which would only further infuriate.

So outside of her color inversion, absolutely nothing about her seems different. Same mutant ability, same name, same general appearance, as far as I know, same personality and every other trait is the same.

8. RockSP MYTH SMITH ˆž∞!!!

Jackman is white, though. In the minds of some of the complainers Domino is white, even though her race has never been stated in the comics to my knowledge. Her skin tone is literally chalk white, not Caucasian. Yet I've never seen them complaining about Negasonic Teenage Warhead who is also chalk white in the comics but not in the movie. Haven't seen any complaints about Firefist or Shatterstar either. :hmm

9. Teelie Jokerface

I would also think anyone who actually watched Deadpool 2 would see that Zazie Beets did a great job playing the character. She was so good I could see her getting her own solo movie (though I know it is unlikely and more likely to be the X-Force team up).

10. Dave McFly Space Pikachu

she was easily one of my fave things about DP2 period

11. craigaat World's Greatest Spy

Agreed. If the character was bad as well as not looking comic accurate then I think people may have the right to complain, but she was great.

12. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Loved Zazie as Domino. Can't wait to see more of her!

13. Pennywise Registered

My favourite character in the film! So cool, funny, and really badass!

14. Havok83 Registered

I dont think its quite the same as Wolverine hasnt been consistently drawn as being 5'3 since the early 80s. Domino has never been drawn as a black woman with a white patch around her eyes and afro

#564 Havok83, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
  15. Joined:
    Jan 12, 2007
    With the little screen time she got she did A great job

16. pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

Domino was one of the standouts of this film imo.

I find myself pretty excited for an X-Force film if and only IF they focus on these four characters (Deadpool, Colossus, Domino, and Cable) and give them some decent god damn development as individuals.

If they were to throw X-23 in as well, you wouldn't see me complain.

17. The Infernal Mky Mk

I thought she was terrible. I was hoping she would be an awesome character, but outside of action sequences, which are fun, there was no character. I feel as though if they had buffed up Negasonic's role in the movie and [BLACKOUT]killed off Domino like the rest of X-force[/BLACKOUT] it wouldn't have mattered outside of changing an action sequence or two.

Hopefully with X-force and other movies going forward they rectify her character by writing a better part. It wouldn't hurt to have a better costume next time and make the eyepatch actually noticable in the movie itself most of the time.

18. -JKR- Registered

I thought she was awesome, and that her carefree and optimistic attitude really made her stick out. She could've been a one-note 'typical badass chick' kind of character, but she wasn't. And her

growing up @ the orphanage hints at something more dwelling underneath all that.

She's a supporting character. This is 100% Deadpool's movie, which is the way it's supposed to be. She'll be further developed in the "X-Force" movie (which is going to be a full-fledged ensemble piece), so I wouldn't worry about that.

I had no problem seeing her eyepatch, as it was clearly visible in every shot she was in, and really liked both her battle suit and her regular clothing style (that purple jacket is PURE FIRE!!!).

19. The Infernal Mky Mk

I've seen other people having trouble noticing it. I still don't like it in promo images where it's seen more clearly. It should cover her eye.

I doubt we'll see them revisit that aspect of her character ever again. Her "cosmic reason" for being there was such a throwaway bit. I don't think anyone was supposed to invest in that as the character certainly didn't seem to care about it. She seemed more non-plussed than carefree to me. Which is odd given what went on there. You'd think someone's reaction would be a lot bigger to that situation. Plus that story is dealt with and X-force won't likely revisit, I'm pretty sure that plot point is dead now.

20. -JKR- Registered

Her eye patch was clearly visible, but it's a movie: these characters move around, the lightning changes, it's perfectly normal that it's not THAT visible in some shots. But you can't say that it's not clearly visible throughout the movie.

The orphanage plot point being dead won't prevent her from talking about the stuff that happened to her in the past to her future X-Force teammates. Just like finding out what Thanos did to his kids wasn't really further elaborated on until the second Guardians of the Galaxy.

21. Teelie Jokerface

The very name of the place is a major hint and jab about one of the X-Men universe's big villians who has been teased a few times but never shown.

22. -JKR- Registered

Yeah.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Mr. Sinister turned out to be the villain of the X-Force movie.

23. The Infernal Mky Mk

I don't think we'd be having this conversation if they went with something more contrasting rather than two different light skin tones. I had trouble spotting it at times, but you want to tell me I can't say it wasn't clearly visible. Ok. Not going to go back and forth in this point.

I could easily be wrong, but my gut says probably not. Maybe the X-force movie revolves around Mr. Sinister and it all becomes relevant again. However it wasn't given the importance it should have in this movie so I don't see why they would explore it again in another movie. Personally I would explore other aspects of her character rather than possibly contradict what was presented in Deadpool 2.

24. -JKR- Registered

How would that be a contradiction. They just haven't had a one on one talk about where they come from in this one. And at that point the mission was to stop the kid, so there was really no space for Domino stopping everything to address her past.

You know people can gloss over stuff they are more comfortable talking about further down the line, yeah? It's happened to me presonally. Just sayin'.

25. Teelie Jokerface

It was still a Deadpool sequel acting as a stepping stone to X-Force, not a movie to have origin stories over why anyone else was there. I think it was intentional to avoid doing the dreaded origin story just like how Deadpool mocked his own origin story in the first movie.

We can get what happened to Domino or Cable or whoever else in either a flashback in X-Force or a solo movie if it warrants it. Not everything needs a ground up development to tell you this person is this way because this, that and something else happened to them.

Mutants are mutants. Outside the X-gene there really isn't much to tell about their powers.