12 dead in Virginia Beach shooting

I don't get people anymore. :(

I don't get people anymore. :(
People have always done terrible things like this. There was never a time in the past where there weren't those with murderous intent who carried out some heinous act somehow, someway.

What we have today is unfortunately a society awash in easy access to firearms technology making those people deadlier in the amount of people they can harm, as opposed to 200 years ago. That is not an excuse for apathy and it's not a way to absolve how these incidents happen with more frequency or seemingly so due to media coverage.

We need to look at why that is so, but we also can't blind us to how we actually are safer today from violent criminal acts as a society than we have been since probably the early 1960's.

It's just a fact... As cold comfort as it is far more people DON'T choose to do these things so in fact you do "get" the majority of folk in the world squeek. You understand them just fine.

People have always done terrible things like this. There was never a time in the past where there weren't those with murderous intent who carried out some heinous act somehow, someway.

What we have today is unfortunately a society awash in easy access to firearms technology making those people deadlier in the amount of people they can harm, as opposed to 200 years ago. That is not an excuse for apathy and it's not a way to absolve how these incidents happen with more frequency or seemingly so due to media coverage.

We need to look at why that is so, but we also can't blind us to how we actually are safer today from violent criminal acts as a society than we have been since probably the early 1960's.

It's just a fact... As cold comfort as it is far more people DON'T choose to do these things so in fact you do "get" the majority of folk in the world squeek. You understand them just fine.
Maybe. It's just that not that long ago I felt safe at work and safe at the movies. That's less true now. :(

Horrible... I couldn’t believe when I read the article that it is actually legal to take firearms into most public buildings in Virginia.

Horrible... I couldn’t believe when I read the article that it is actually legal to take firearms into most public buildings in Virginia.
That’s weird, it sure ain’t here in Georgia.

This happened about 15-20 minutes from where I live. I was actually going to run some errands in va beach yesterday but I don’t think any would have put me too close but still.

My coworkers daughter works across the street. She was off fortunately.

Another friend of mine is very good friends with a guy fighting for his life in the hospital.

A friend of mine from high school was posting yesterday about trying to get in touch with someone she knew that worked there (my friend moved out of state a few years back) and was devastated this morning to find out that her friend was one of the victims.

So tragic here.

Glad you weren't near there. Hopefully the friend recovers.

Ridiculously sad to hear about another nonsensical shooting, as always it seems like the victims didn't even wrong the suspect it was just random, aimless killing.. :csad:

That's usually it. Most of these idiots experience with actually shooting a gun comes from video games or movies. They either shoot people that are bystanders or just whoever is in the vicinity.

Apparently he was a disgruntled employee who may have been fired so these people he shot were very likely colleagues or coworkers.

It just sucks all the way across the board.

This is why I'm nervous at work sometimes. People get fired now and again from failing drug tests and such. :(

Maybe. It's just that not that long ago I felt safe at work and safe at the movies. That's less true now. :(
Don’t feel bad Squeek, I know the feeling. When The Force Awakens was coming out, I got massively paranoid about someone attacking theaters because at the time it was such a massive thing. I’ve gotten over it a lot but every time I go to a big event film it pops up in the back of mind.

Don’t feel bad Squeek, I know the feeling. When The Force Awakens was coming out, I got massively paranoid about someone attacking theaters because at the time it was such a massive thing. I’ve gotten over it a lot but every time I go to a big event film it pops up in the back of mind.

I'm the same way. It's part of the reason I dont go to the theater as much as I used to for every single film I want to watch. And these days I only sit in the last seat in a row so if something happens I wont get boxed in. I keep an eye on who's coming into the auditorium after the film starts too.

This is why I'm nervous at work sometimes. People get fired now and again from failing drug tests and such.

I know some of my coworkers carry guns at work and it actually makes me feel safer. We work at night and more than one criminal has hid from the cops on our lumber yard so our employer and the company owner doesnt mind if we carry a gun. A few weeks ago we had a guy come to where I work and attack one of my coworkers with a tire iron. He was run off and one of the employees with a pistol went and parked at the main gate in case he came back before the cops could get there.

That’s weird, it sure ain’t here in Georgia.
You sure about that? Just because people in those buildings get uncomfortable and call the cops doesnt mean it's actually illegal. In NC you can open and conceal carry a lot of places as long as they arent a public event or government building. It used to be illegal to carry in the state parks but I heard that was supposed to be abolished in NC. It makes a lot of people nervous and more than one would call the cops if they saw a person carrying in public, but its legal all the same.

Last edited:
This is why I'm nervous at work sometimes. People get fired now and again from failing drug tests and such. :(
I'm not all that worried about it happening although it is a possibility anywhere these days.

Apparently he was a disgruntled employee who may have been fired so these people he shot were very likely colleagues or coworkers.

It just sucks all the way across the board.
Just saw an exerpt of a news update press conference....they said he was a 15 year employee with no problems on record, he was in good standing with everyone there....but he walked in that morning and resigned....then came back hours later and started shooting. They have no idea what the reason was.

Absolutely terrible that this happened. There is such easy access to firearms and it’s pretty disturbing that incidents like these keep on happening with this frequency here.

The gun laws in this country are a total joke. Seriously when will things change?

Hundreds of years from now if humanity is still around, they will laugh their asses off at some of the crazy stupid **** rules/laws in the US (much as we do now about the crazy things in societies like Ancient Rome).

Just saw an exerpt of a news update press conference....they said he was a 15 year employee with no problems on record, he was in good standing with everyone there....but he walked in that morning and resigned....then came back hours later and started shooting. They have no idea what the reason was.
I think it makes it worse when we don't know why. Not that having an excuse makes it okay, only easier to get why someone might consider something like that. To have it come seemingly out of the blue is scarier. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"