2008 Olympics - Political Discussion Thread

Oh you would be very suprised a LOT of Americans AGREES with me, that America minds other countries business WAY too much!

Then, how about send all who think this way out? Then, you probably send out at least 1/3 of American-born Whites/blacks, I think.

That's not why I would nominate you to be voted out.

jag

...and we've been wanting to vote jag out for a while now....but no go on that one...j/k

the main issue is that China represents the exact opposite of what the Olympics stand for......so I'd guess some money changed hands between the IOC and the Peoples' Republic behind closed doors....

I don't like America mind other countries (not just China but also Iraq, Korea) business, period.

ALL Bush did as a president is he worry about Foreign business. But, now Gas price, food price, things are so expensive. Economy is in an All-time LOW! God I am so Disgusted!!!

I Hate Bush so much!!!!

WORST. President. Ever!

GO OBAMA!!!

Indredibly ironic, given the fact that gas prices have been finally dropping here in the US in the past couple weeks, mainly due to the China's raising of their gas prices!

I love it when people like you think that because our ancestors had drawn imaginary lines on our planet that we shouldn't have to pay any attention to anyone on the other side of those borders because what they do somehow doesn't effect us at all. :whatever:

Look. I AGREE "Human Right" issue need to be dealt with, 'Censorship' issue also need to be dealt with, too.

However, let's give China TIME to improve it. Don't act like China will suddenly improve it to America's likes Overnight or just a couple days, that's not gonna happen that fast!

China has always been a communist country, so for it to accept Democratic values, it's definitely NOT going to be easy as you all want it to, whether you like it or not. It's going to take some TIME! Maybe a LONG time, maybe even as long as a decade! Have Patience!!!

The change from Communist to Democrazy, or from Buddaism to Christian is just going Against what MOST Chinese believe in, so expect that to SLOWLY happen!

A lot of people agrees that China is making SMALL improvements every day, now.

For people that constantly complain/criticize China, even during Olympics just gets on my nerves!

Look. I AGREE "Human Right" issue need to be dealt with, 'Censorship' issue also need to be dealt with, too.

However, let's give China TIME to improve it. Don't act like China will suddenly improve it to America's likes Overnight or just a couple days, that's not gonna happen that fast!

China has always been a communist country, so for it to accept Democratic values, it's definitely NOT going to be easy as you all want it to, whether you like it or not. It's going to take some TIME! Maybe a LONG time, maybe a decade! Have Patience!!!

The change from Communist to Democrazy, or from Buddaism to Christian is just going Against what MOST Chinese believe in, so expect that to SLOWLY happen!

For people that constantly complain/criticize China, even during Olympics just gets on my nerves!

I don't expect China to improve overnight.

But that doesn't mean that I or others cannot express outrage in that country's hideous practices. The country deserves criticism, it deserves a backlash for the atrocities it has committed on its own people, from Mao's oh-so-wonderful Cultural Revolution to the country's disgusting treatment of those in Tibet and Taiwan. China does not deserve to host the Olympic games, the most diplomatic event in the world, when it has harmed its people the way it has. There is no way the country legitimately earned the right to host these games, and as a result, I have no desire to watch as the entire world sucks up to one of the worst governments in the world right now.

The reason why most of the Chinese citizens accept communism over democracy is because they know no other system of government. The majority of Chinese laymen aren't even allowed to research other governments on their own without being censored. And your claims about Buddhism and Christianity are absolutely false, the Chinese government does not endorse any religion and practically refuses to allow the Chinese to practice faith on their own without some sort of government intervention.

The world needs a backbone and the ability to stand up to China. But we've allowed them to get away with such monstrous practices for so long, that may never happen. Which is fine, whatever, let China do whatever it wants-- but I have no desire to sit here and accept it as it is.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/off-the-field/tibet-tunes-i-dont-think-so/2008/08/20/1218911831534.html

iTunes blocked in China after protest stunt

Stephen Hutcheon | August 21, 2008

Access to Apple's online iTunes Store has been blocked in China after it emerged that Olympic athletes have been downloading and possibly listening to a pro-Tibetan music album in a subtle act of protest against China's rule over the province.

The album, called Songs for Tibet, was produced by an a group called The Art of Peace Foundation, and features 20 tracks from well-known singers and songwriters including Sting, Moby, Suzanne Vega and Alanis Morissette.

It was released as a download on the iTunes Store on August 5 - three days before the start of the Olympics - with the physical CD launched on Tuesday this week.

The Foundation provided free downloads of the album to Olympic athletes, urging them to play the songs on their iPods during the Games as a show of support.

Funds raised from the sale of the album are being used by the non-profit Foundation to support "peace-related projects that are dear to the Dalai Lama", the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader whom China regards as subversive.

On Monday, expatriate iTunes users living in China began experiencing technical problems with their previously unfettered access.

That was the same day the US-based Campaign for Tibet organisation claimed on its website that "over 40 Olympic athletes in North America, Europe and even Beijing" had downloaded the album.

Apple's customer forums contain numerous examples where users have complained about experiencing these technical problems.

Although some iTunes account-holders suggest that the problem is with Apple, according to several forum posters and bloggers working in China, the source of the technical hitch is being attributed to the Great Firewall of China - the umbrella term given to China's system of internet censorship.

A blogger calling herself JeninShanghai has reposted what she says is a reply she received from Apple's customer support after reporting that she had problems with her US iTunes Store account.

"iTunes is not being blocked in China from our end, but access to the iTunes Store IS restricted in some areas in China. This would also explain why it's happening to your friends there as well," the response reads.

"I would advise that you contact your ISP [internet service provider] about this matter. Please also note though that accessing the US iTunes Store outside of the geographic region of the United States is not supported, and that attempting to access it while in China is at your own risk."

The apparent blocking of the iTunes Store raises some thorny issues for Apple which opened it's first bricks-and-mortar store in Beijing on the eve of the Olympic Games.

"This is the first of many stores we will open in China," said Ron Johnson, Apple's senior vice president of retail, in remarks at the store opening in July.

The company, whose CEO and co-founder Steve Jobs is a practising Buddhist, is also negotiating with Chinese mobile phone operators to launch the highly successful iPhone.

iTunes Stores are locked to specific countries. In the case of the US iTunes Store - the biggest music retailer in the country - only holders of US-issued credit cards or US-issued iTunes gift certificates can purchase music and videos.

Many US, European and Australian expatriates living in China access their home-based iTunes Store accounts from China where they can purchase and download music , videos and podcasts. However, because of the block, that is no longer possible. The album is currently available on the Australian iTunes Store.

According to a report published in the semi-official Chinese news portal, china.org.cn, "angry netizens [internet users] are rallying together to denounce Apple in offering Songs for Tibet for purchase. They have also expressed a wish to ban the album's singers and producers, most notably Sting, John Mayer and Dave Matthews, from entering China."

The report, published in English, goes on to say that some netizens are even calling for a boycott of Apple products, including the iPhone when it is eventually released in China.

I like the last bit at the end about "angry netizens" banding together against Apple for putting an album that's intended to support a free Tibet on their iTunes store. Propaganda much?

jag

the main issue is that China represents the exact opposite of what the Olympics stand for......so I'd guess some money changed hands between the IOC and the Peoples' Republic behind closed doors....

officially the IOC hoped that having the spotlight on China would force them to improve their human rights. Fail!

China has always been a communist country, so for it to accept Democratic values, it's definitely NOT going to be easy as you all want it to, whether you like it or not. It's going to take some TIME! Maybe a LONG time, maybe even as long as a decade! Have Patience!!!

For one thing, China is one of the oldest Civilizations on the planet, how much time do they need?

And two, China hasn't "always been Communist" as you say. They have been for maybe fifty years.

And for the record, I don't think you know what you are talking about.

Prior to Communism...China had a monarchy going....and most rule was provincial between the 4 major sections of the country....

I don't like America mind other countries (not just China but also Iraq, Korea) business, period.

ALL Bush did as a president is he worry about Foreign business. But, now Gas price, food price, things are so expensive. Economy is in an All-time LOW! God I am so Disgusted!!!

I Hate Bush so much!!!!

WORST. President. Ever!

GO OBAMA!!!

??? Neo-Cons and liberals both engage in international interventionism. It’s just they have different methods. Obama is go to do it in Darfu all though in a different way from bush.

Why are some people so hard up for us to go into Darfur but these same people protest the Iraq War? I understand the conditions are different, but it is still violating the borders of a sovereign country....

Prior to Communism...China had a monarchy going....and most rule was provincial between the 4 major sections of the country....

And the Communist Party took control in 1949. Before that, it was the Kuomintang, who overthrew the emperor in 1911.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"