3 Halo Killers in 08?

As far as Campaign goes, I agree with you. I think the Halo storyline is boring and pointless. I have to say, however, that the online play is definatly my favorite thing to do at this point. I tried CoD4, but I just couldn't get into the game like I did Halo. Not to turn political, but I think half of me not liking CoD4 as much as I thought I would has to do with the fact that it deals with the war at present, and I don't agree with the war in Iraq at all. CoD4 is a great game, don't get me wrong, I just don't like the "real-life" allusion aspect of it. I'd rather play a fictional military-style FPS than play one that simulates what some Americans are pointlessly dying/risking their lives for currently.

????

CoD 4 is VERY fictional....and isnt set in Iraq......Theres missions set in Russia, some other middle eastern countries, but not iraq. The main "bad guy" is Russian I believe. In the game, there are several nukes being prepared to hit the eastern side of the United States...and they get launched. Infact, their minutes away from reaching their targets. Hardly pointless dying....

As far as online goes, CoD 4 is amazing. I was hooked on Halo 3, but as soon as CoD4 came about, it took over. Halo 3's multiplayer is more arcade. Less skill, more shooting. Less patience, more running. Its better, if you like that sort of thing, but I'm all about realism. CoD4 (especially Hardcore Team Deathmatch) is so much more satisfying and rewarding. I just love getting those kills when you use stealth....Nothing beats it. It feels 'real'. Nothing beats a tense sniping battle on CoD4, or a team effort. I also find CoD4 to be fairer. In Halo 3, lag seems to play a bigger factor. In CoD4, its very rare I found myself complaining wondering how I am dead, yet my opponent lives.

weird i dont get lag in halo really. oh well i like cod4 but halo 3 holds a special place in my heart. a special staying up all night drinking red bull and soda without stopping to use the bathroom and going through my itunes playlist over and over place in my heart.

????

CoD 4 is VERY fictional....and isnt set in Iraq......Theres missions set in Russia, some other middle eastern countries, but not iraq. The main "bad guy" is Russian I believe. In the game, there are several nukes being prepared to hit the eastern side of the United States...and they get launched. Infact, their minutes away from reaching their targets. Hardly pointless dying....

As far as online goes, CoD 4 is amazing. I was hooked on Halo 3, but as soon as CoD4 came about, it took over. Halo 3's multiplayer is more arcade. Less skill, more shooting. Less patience, more running. Its better, if you like that sort of thing, but I'm all about realism. CoD4 (especially Hardcore Team Deathmatch) is so much more satisfying and rewarding. I just love getting those kills when you use stealth....Nothing beats it. It feels 'real'. Nothing beats a tense sniping battle on CoD4, or a team effort. I also find CoD4 to be fairer. In Halo 3, lag seems to play a bigger factor. In CoD4, its very rare I found myself complaining wondering how I am dead, yet my opponent lives.

I haven't really put a lot of gameplay into CoD4...I just can't get into it. From what I've heard about it, though, it takes place in the present day rather than in the past, eg. the WWII era. I don't know, maybe I was just fed some bogus information, or I might have just misheard what my friend told me. Who knows.

I like Halo better because at a certain level of play it takes real skill to be able to hang with your level. I'm sure CoD4 takes a ton of skill as well, except that game just gives me headaches.

Came across this article and i figured id share it. If this thread needs to be merged into another then do so. Anyway, this site lists 3 potential Halo killers set to drop in 08.

Resistance 2

Killzone 2

Rainbow Six : Vegas 2

So, what do you guys think? Could the goliath known as Halo go down in 08? Will these be the games to do it? Now the author defines "Halo Killer" as a "FPS so good, that people will talk about it more than Halo". If thats the case then yea, i could see these games taking Halo down....for a few days. But overall I'm gonna say NONE of these games will come close to taking Halo down. They DEFINITELY wont do Halo 3 numbers nor will they create the PR buzz. So, again, what do you guys think?

http://n4g.com/gaming/News-111621.aspx

I see it more like

Ninja Gaiden 2

Fable 2

Alan Wake

In that case I don't see any FPS' killing Halo in the near future.

The "goliath" known has Halo already has a huge amount of games that are better than it.

Examples off the top of my head - Orange Box, Bioshock.

Well, it's a good thing you arent in charge of a video game company though, because sales are the only thing that matter, not quality. If CoD4 had the worst sale of all FPS games this year, even if it was the highest quality game, it wouldnt be a Halo killer. Halo KILLER. See the emphasis there? As is, CoD4 was at the very least a Halo stunner, but if it had no sales, then it wouldnt have been that even, cause no one would be f**king playing it.

But what do YOU care if Halo sales better?

It has no effect on your personal enjoyment of the game.

The "goliath" known has Halo already has a huge amount of games that are better than it.

Examples off the top of my head - Orange Box, Bioshock.

It doesn't really matter if the games are better or not. Look at the sales, the real win is monetary. ANY studio would rather have 12 million people buy the game and play it once than have 100,000 people buy it and play it 24/7. It's all about profit.

If another game launch can net $170 Million in it's first day and $300 million in it's first week, then it can be a "Halo killer." It doesn't really matter how good a game is if nobody is buying it.

It's something I don't really understand. The gaming community used to be really seperated from trends and fads seen in the movie industry and music industry. It used to be that gamers wanted one thing from games - for the game to be good.

So Halo's insane popularity when there are clearly games that are insanely superior in quality kinda annoys me. Makes me feel like there's no justice. People point to Halo as an example of what games can achieve, when they can point to at least a dozen other games first.

Halo killed itself with its dumb storyline and the lack of a creative ending to an story that could have been better so I'm not sure y people r still looking for the "halo killer" Comeon at least if the story sux have somewhat of a decent ending. Halo will still hold a special place in my heart from the late nite 16player deathmatches wit my boys in the dorm room but thas about it bc there r way better games out

It's something I don't really understand. The gaming community used to be really seperated from trends and fads seen in the movie industry and music industry. It used to be that gamers wanted one thing from games - for the game to be good.

So Halo's insane popularity when there are clearly games that are insanely superior in quality kinda annoys me. Makes me feel like there's no justice. People point to Halo as an example of what games can achieve, when they can point to at least a dozen other games first.

The gaming community never had fads or trends like the movie and music industry? Gamers still want games to be good.

Halo's popularity is due to the fact that they developed a strong following over the first and second games. The fact is, there are other games out there, but I've never liked FPS personally until the Halo franchise because the controls are easy and more natural to me. The biggest draw is the multiplayer, mainly the big team matches like Hulkness touched on.

I'm not sure what games you consider to be "insanely superior," but I am sure it's just a matter of preference like everything else in the universe for every individual. Just because people have different taste in games than you doesn't mean you have to be "annoyed" or melodramatic ("no justice", I did actually laugh when I saw this line).

It's not just difference in taste - it's differences in actual quality that can be pointed to.

Examples...
Level design
Controls
Game length (one of the big weaknesses of Halo 3)
Story depth

And a whole host of other definable stuff.

It's not just difference in taste - it's differences in actual quality that can be pointed to.

Examples...
Level design
Controls
Game length (one of the big weaknesses of Halo 3)
Story depth

And a whole host of other definable stuff.

Those are all differences in taste, like everything else in life. Quality and aesthetics are all matters of taste. Hell, many people still prefer playing old school NES games rather than some of the next-gen games. EVERYTHING can be boiled down to a matter of taste.

Some people like Halo controls better than others, some people like shorter games than the long epic drawn out games, some people could care less about story depth if they enjoy playing the game.

I'm glad you have all this "definable stuff."

Say what you want, but there are definable markers for a game's quality. Like with a movie for example, pros and critics alike could pick apart a bad movie for many reasons - sloppy camera work, editing, bad script, etc etc.

There is an art to making video games as there is with everything else. Halo is enjoyable, but it isn't on the same level as some other games.

Again, it seems as if you've completely disregarded what I have said so that you may have the last word. You mention there being an art to video games correct?

Art is not the best comparison to use in your argument, considering the fact that art is probably the most debatable topic. You can claim something isn't as good as something else because it doesn't fit the same mold, but that doesn't mean one is better than the other. There is an element of bias either way, and anyone who takes a critic's OPINION at any more than face value should learn to think for themselves. It's all aesthetics, which is just a fancy word that really means an authoritative opinion.

I'm not sure y people r still looking for the "halo killer"

Because NO game has come along and done what Halo has since its release and most likely we wont see one for awhile. Halo came along and created an industry buzz the likes we havent seen since Pacman.

GoW2 will be...Since everyone will flock to that...Until it gets boring, like GoW. Hopefully they'll take that into consideration and give it something to add more life/replay value.

Halo 2 had way better maps than halo 3. They are boring in halo 3
GOW isnt boring.

Right now CoD4 is still the most played game on Live, even after R6 Vegas 2's release. Halo 3 is second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"