A Good Reporter Makes Stories Great: Rachel Brosnahan IS Lois Lane

Exactly. That's the point of a break-out role. For example, Reese Witherspoon and Johnny Depp may have been names before but it was Legally Blonde and Pirates, resp, that catapulted them into stardom. I guarantee you, people were rooting for Jack Sparrow more than Depp himself during that trial.
I thought it was Edward Scissorhands for Depp.

Johnny Depp was a household name well before PotC. He just wasn’t big with the family demo ‘til that movie.
Mmhmm. Every actor always has that one role that catapults them from merely being a household name into super stardom.

Rachel Brosnahan was a name thanks to House of Cards but Maisel made her famous.

Historically, casting for a new Superman entails finding a “relative unknown” who more-or-less fits the physical type. Whereas, a new Lois actress tends to have a stronger resumé, a more established career. And fair to say, Brosnahan is more famous than Corenswet. But even so, she’s not in the Jennifer Lawrence/Emma Stone/et. al. superstar category.

I can no longer keep track of the new, young Hollywood stars. But even a philistine like me :cwink: has heard of Rachel Brosnahan. However, this is mainly by reputation (her award wins and promo appearances). I’ve never actually seen her in anything — including The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (never had a subscription to Amazon). So if my POV is typical (and perhaps it isn’t), Brosnahan playing Lois Lane represents a big career move.

I wouldn't say either are a household name yet but after Superman they will be. Heck I felt like it even took a while after MOS for common folk to register Cavill.

I'd seen her in House of Cards and an episode or two of The Blacklist, but I couldn't have told you Brosnahan's name before her casting as Lois Lane.

Mmhmm. Every actor always has that one role that catapults them from merely being a household name into super stardom.

Rachel Brosnahan was a name thanks to House of Cards but Maisel made her famous.
Johnny Depp was huge before Pirates. I don’t know how old you are, but I’d wager to say that to my generation, there are lots of people who think of Depp primarily as Tom Hansen from 21 Jump Street before Sparrow. Not to mention his roles in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Edward Scissorhands, Donnie Brasco and Nightmare on Elm Street. All of which were pre-pirates and huge movies.

It’s like folks who state that Michael J Fox is only Marty McFly. They obviously didn’t realize that he was Alex P Keaton and that television role was extremely important to people in the 1980’s and had cemented him in the social conscience pre-BTTF.

And to address the previous post: Brosnahan is most certainly not an “unknown.” She’s the star of one long running, critically acclaimed television show as well as a pivotal member of an ensemble cast in another. She’s also a Golden Globe winning actress. I don’t know how she could be seen as an unknown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"