A neo-noir Martian Manhunter flick

King Ruler

Sidekick
Reaction score
That's how it should be handled. If they were to make a MM movie, it should be in the neo-noir genre. It should follow him trying to observe human nature and fit in (or alienate himself...whatever) while in the disguise of Detective John Jones. Also, he could be investingating what appears to be attacks on unsuspecting humans by an alien foe or something.

If handled right (by possibly someone like Robert Rodriguez) it could turn out to be something good.

I vote for Robert Patrick as J'onn J'onnz/John Jones/The Martian Manhunter.

Are you insane?

A film about a green skinned alien which sounds like all the superpowers will be toned down in favour of a detective hat, mac and a potato gun ...... played by none other than the T1000 with his pointy ears and total non-resemblance to Martian Manhunter. Yup, genius.

It's a valid interpretation, elgaz is being a *****.

Valid indeed. Makes sense to me. J'onn's best powers aren't really so in your face anyway. He was transported from Mars 10,000 years ago, and he could have been here on Earth long enough to make an older period film work. Or just a modern noirish movie. I like it. I always wanted to write a quasi-noir detective/psychological thriller MARTIAN MANHUNTER movie script with The White Martians and all those elements previously mentioned. I think it would be very interesting.

No I'm not, he's entitled to his opinion and I'm entitled to mine. I think a movie about a green skinned Superhero from Mars should be handled just like that - a superhero flick, not a neo noir detective movie. If it works for him, then good for him.

Gaz

But the "detective" angle IS how J'onn J'onnz tends to be handled in his own stories. He's a detective who uses his powers to aid mankind, but he's not the larger-than-life superhero all the time. He's a telepathic detective AND an alien superhero. Both of those angles have immense potential.

No I'm not, he's entitled to his opinion and I'm entitled to mine. I think a movie about a green skinned Superhero from Mars should be handled just like that - a superhero flick, not a neo noir detective movie. If it works for him, then good for him.

Gaz

Manhunter.

It's Manhunter from Mars. He's a detective and something of a bounty hunter, not a flashy attention grabbing superhero.

What was the line? "For everytime Superman's saved the world in the daylight, Manhunter's saved it in the shadows."

I feel that sums up J'onn pretty good.

Gaz
But you're opinion is ill-formed and was stated disrespectfully to the original posting?

And you should get **** for that.

I like the suggested angle, but Martian Manhunter's numerous powers could make for one of the best all time fight scene's on screen. Visually using MM to his potential in a fight, it would be jawdropping. I say play up everything that makes him such a great character.

Basically Blade Runner meets Martian Manhunter? that would be cool.

this seems to be just a category used to be "cool", because I cannot see noir in most of the films listed there. Noir does not mean less lighting or dark, it is not even a real genre.
What on Earth are you talking about?

Noir is a genre that's been around for 60 years. No matter what Noir actually means, the genre itself is pretty well defined:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_noir

That's saying something when this guy gets his own movie before Martian Manhunter. I can't wait to see the nay-sayers come out against this saying that it will mess up the Martian Manhunter film.

I know that, but it is not clear if it's a real genre.

My question was about neo-noir.

Noir is a film genre usually surrounding detectives and appearing much like pulp books. They are characterized by a very dark cinematic visual style and what some have called "hard boiled" plotlines (in other words unsentimental). Thus noir is dark visuals and dark themes combined usually against the backdrop of 50s detective stories where you would hear words like dame and gumshoe.

Neo-Noir takes the characteristics of noir and mixes them with other genres and/or modernizes it. Blade Runner and Dark City use numerous noir characteristics but also uses many sci-fi elements as well. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang also uses noir but mixes in comedy which is actually very difficult because the comedy aspect challenges the noir aspect, yet the movie pulls it off very successfully IMO

A neo-noir Martian Manhunter story in vain of Dark City (it may actually be too much like Dark City in retrospect) does sound very intriguing. Giving up J'onns more Superman like qualities in favor of shape shifting and telepathy, both of which would be giant assets to a detective, is acceptable because it is ALL in favor of creating a unique story rather than a caped crusade. A caped caper if you will (couldnt help myself). It worked for JLU (for the most part) and helps differentiate from the other heroes.

I cant tell you how wrong Robert Rodriguez is for this though. The man makes great action and horror flicks because he has a great visual style, but in general, his style is too LOUD for noir. You need more subtley. Alex Proyas comes to mind right away but Id like to see Atom Egoyan take the reigns

For me, it would be a mixture of a neo-noir detective flick, a 70'ties sci-fi movie, a big superherho movie and a intimist indie movie.

VILLAIN: Ma'lef'ack J'ozz.

COADJUVANTS: Diane Meade, Saul Erdel, Murphy Sands, ''Weasel'' harris, King Faraday and Alex Fergunson.

Malefic would be perfect villain for a movie like this.

They could have him briefly mention the New Gods since he worships Darkseid, too.

Kerry Conran would fit this movie.

The main plot would be J'onn lolelyness and his quest for humanity, being a strange man in a strange world. To compensate his inability to save his wife and children, he would be a detective working on Chicago's Department, along with Diane Meade and Murphy Sands. His informant would be ''Weasel'' harris, and he would be investigating the the abduction of several men on the slum area. Meanwhile, the govern agent King Faraday and his troops would be searching for the alien responsible, that they belive it came to Earth threw decessed Dr. Saul Erdel's teleporting machine. It turns out it's Ma'lef'ack, J'onn's psychotic brother, trying to get ''hosts'' for the spirits of the White Martians trapped in a ''Phantom Zone'', and that can only come to Earth in astral form. Big fight sequence and subsequent aceptation of J'onn as a ''caped crusader'' like Superman. Hint to a sequel with Faraday mencioning a ''martian colony on Nex Mexico''.

MM noir detective > MM alien superhero

I mean, why tread on Superman's territory.

I think this needs a bump

DC487B-I-29.jpg

It's not a terrible idea. Only thing is seems like Frank Miller is the heavyweight for this style now. Would you want him involved?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"