Comics A Poll For Venom Fans: Eddie Brock or Mac Gargan?

Knightsaber Priss

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
I haven't picked up a Spider-man comic in over decades now, but as best as I can I've been trying to keep tabs of what's been going on with my fave symbiote costume and here I see that Mac Gargan, formerly Scorpion is the new Venom, but I have to wonder, are there any people out there who still wish down the road that the symbiote will remerge with Eddie Brock? I decided the most decisive way to get the opinions of my fellow Venom fans would be to create a poll. Oh, and this poll is open to everyone else as well.

The Venom symbiote belongs on one person & one person alone, in my opinion...Edward Brock. :sym::up:

Eddie Brock became such a boring character, maybe a few years away from the symbiote will do him good and will actually make him interesting again. I won't hold my breath tho.

On the other hand Gargan was just has boring and stale as Brock, so actually giving him the symbiote might spice him up a bit as well. But I bet he will just suffer from the curse of the symbiote: "THAT WHO HOLD THE SYMBIOTE PUTS READERS TO SLEEP".

I think this is a problem with any character that's been around for more than a few decades. In the 80's alot of Silver age villains were stagnating in the Spider-man universe. At that time Venom was a fresh change, but now he's suffering from the same plight characters like Dr. Octopus and Hobgoblin suffered in the 80's. In essence it's like a mid-life crisis where everything is uncertain. I think it would be nice for a reunion with his other, perhaps imply the Venom symbiote actually has developed more of an affection for its second host and genuinely cares for Eddie's health in general, explaining why it's been more hostile with Gargan. All that Eddie Brock/Venom probably needs is a fresh start to get back in his game. A little drama between a dying Eddie and his father before rejoining with the symbiote would be nice as well since I don't see much if any of this featured in the core Spider-man comics. Maybe a little inner turmoil over whether it's God's will that he die from his affliction or prolong his life by rejoining with the Venom symbiote would be good as well.

I've got to go with Eddie Brock as Venom. Really, I love Gargan as Venom, but he just pails in comparison to Eddie....also, I like Gargan better as the Scorpion. Sorry...no school like the old school.

Personally, if Eddie and the Symbiote rejoin, I want to see thema ctually accomplish something. I want them to so some damage to Spider-man's life...I want them to have an actual effect, as opposed to showing up, getting seperated, and then rejoining later on. It got old after the first couple of times.

Let's see a Venom who is more of a threat! Hell, at least Movie Venom accomplished something! I want to see Comic Venom do something, now!

:venom:

I would like to see a return of the Venom I became a fan of in the 80's. Whether this concurs with a more movie styled Venom as you pointed out in your post shinlyle, I don't know. All I know is that if Eddie Brock is to survive his cancer, he must merge with his symbiote other.

Honestly venom as Brock was pretty boring. I mean if you make him a hero then he sucks. Make him a villian, he can only have the one motivation and thats to kill spidey. Right now i'm liking gargan because he's starting to bring the host and symbiote relation to the table. He feels the thing is cold and evil but he cant resist the power. Brock gave in to rage and thought up bogus reason why spidey must die(oh spiderman caught the real serial killer............stupid spidey should have let the fake take the credit....). Personally i think the symbiote itself is the problem. It may be time for it to become its own being and have limited contact with earth from now on. Its amazing why spiderman doesnt fry the sucker now.

But why can they not do this with Eddie Brock? Why does this have to be written for just Gargan? I think what they are doing with the Gargan Venom could be just as easily transported to the Eddie Brock Venom as well. With the right writer, you most assuredly will see a new and improved Eddie Brock Venom. Why can't the writers do what was sort of done in Spider-man 3 by Venom killing Harry instead of Peter, by having comic Venom inadvertantly kill an innocent because of something Peter did to accidentally cause it? Wouldn't that give Eddie more of an interesting reason for hating Spider-man for you?

I think the only real issue with the symbiote is that it hates its current host and is lashing out at Gargan because it secretly loves Eddie Brock more considering it had spent more time with Brock, who actually accepted it unconditionally after it had been violently rejected by Peter. What you've stated just further proves that Eddie should be reunited with the Venom symbiote.

I loved Eddie as Venom, but the main problem with him is his morales. He cant be a villain, as everything except "kill spider-man, it's the christian thing to do" is off limits. He can't be a hero because well, he sucks as a hero. So there's pretty much no options left for him, unless he has a massive psychotic break of some kind and starts acting like Gargan Venom already acts (high body count=high fun).

First off, Eddie Brock is the better Venom. He's the original and that's that.

Second of all, how many issues has Gargan/Venom been in? He was in the Spider-Man :Down Among the Dead Man arc and I saw him briefly in Civil War but what else has he appeared in lately?

He's a member of thunderbolts.

I want Eddie back, but I want Eddie to... you know, be a threat.
Wouldn't spider-man just beat the utter **** out of him? after the power upgrade he got from The Other?

The Symbiote belongs to Eddie Brock and Eddie Brock only. he's the first Venom and it should stay that way:sym:.

Eddie Brock. His version of Venom also looks better IMO

brock. why did they do that? why they not make this: make all the villians become venom?? the most st***d idea i ever seen

I'd definitely like the suit back on Eddie Brock. In my opinion, there was still a lot of story there to tell. And, honestly, I don't know about the rest of you, but I really dug that Venom series that came out about 3 to 4 years back. That was a pretty sweet series and I wished that it would have continued. But I've been sidetracked...

Brock still has some stories in him. You just have to find the correct time, place, and creative team who can pull it off. And right now Marvel has some pretty solid creative teams for Spider-Man. Take a look at the Sacasa/Medina team up on Sensational. In fact, Sacasa is handling the return of Eddie Brock next issue. Who knows what is going to happen there.

But it just feels like the Venom symbiote is wasted on Scorpion. He should be SCORPION...not VENOM. Eddie Brock is VENOM. Mark Millar's story never really made much sense to me in that regard. Brock sold off the suit, which was odd to begin with, and the original buyer was Forunato who gave it to his grandson or son...I can't remember...and freakin' dies right away? And then it just GOES with Scorpion. There never really was an explanation of why Scorpion and the symbiote combined...it just sort of happened. I don't see why it bonded with Scorpion and I guess Marvel never really figured it out either because I haven't really read a decent story with the Scorpion Venom.

Maybe Brock will get the suit back due to the Spider-Man 3 hype, but I'm not going to count on it. The best that I can hope for is that a decent writer gets his/her hands on Venom and does good by it, whether it's Brock or Gargan. Look what Tom Defalco did for Scorpion's character back in the 90's during his Spectacular Spider-Man run. He really added a lot of depth to the character that was never there before, and I still haven't seen anyone since do anything like that. There are plenty of things to be done with both characters...it should have never left Brock in the first place.

You know, I've been reading about how the symbiote has been becoming more and more hostile towards anyone not Eddie Brock who posseses it. I may be reading into things here, but I think the symbiote has actually bonded with Brock on a more metaphysical level and perhaps secretly wishes to be back with him, which is why he's been heaping so much emnity on those who have recently been wearing it.

P.S. If Eddie Brock, irregardless of the movie, doesn't get the symbiote back, the cancer that afflicts his brain will kill him eventually. I don't think Marvel would let that happen. I think it is just a matter of time before Brock and the symbiote reunite, but maybe it will only be when both are knocking on death's door just to make it more dramatic?

Well, Eddie gets it back in the next arc of Sensational, so I dont think that's gonna happen.

Well, Eddie gets it back in the next arc of Sensational, so I dont think that's gonna happen.

By all means give us some linkable details Joker. I may have to pick up this issue. We are very interested in it of course.

Thanks a bunch Ultimate_Venom. :D

P.S. That's awesome cover art there. I like it! I don't think I've ever been this excited about a comicbook in 15 years.

I don't know...Well Eddie Brock's Venom is THE Venom, the one that brought the character to be one of Spider-Man's arch-enemies (ok ok...some of you will probably argue about this, but at the very least he is extremly popular) but that "we have to protect the innocents"...never liked it. On the other hand Mac Gargan....completely lacks any inhibitions Brock might have, has a cool design on his own, but...I only see him running around taking down lower class heroes in thunderbolts (if someone could tell me something I missed about Mac Gargan than was very ground breaking, I'm ok because I just knew what he did in Beyond! and in thunderbolts, so I might be wrong if I missed some of his appearances).

What I didn't like about Mac Gargan, is that in the last Thunderbolts issues, he has the typical "Eddie Brock" Venom face, and not his Venom appareance, you know with those "eyes within the eyes" stuff.

I don't know for you, but I'd really like to see a fight between Eddie Brock Venom and MacGargan Venom. Could be cool to show who the real Venom is (I don't know, by making that Mac Gargan's symbiote is just that clone from the Venom miniseries and that the real symbiote is on the loose...well it's still better than Norman Osborne sleeping with Gwen Stacy lol...), just kidding, it was just a stupid idea of mine, sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"