A second viewing

And the third film would actually be titled "Superman *insert subtitle here*".

I loved it more the second time I saw it. For the simple fact the movie slowed down.

I think going into it the first time there was the nerve factor of whether or not this would would actually be a good film?

Going into it the 2nd time especially if you somewhat enjoyed it the first time makes everything just easier to appreciate.

There was also actually a lot i missed in the fight scenes the first time around that i was able to follow much easier the 2nd time.

Last edited:
The action was A LOT to take in the first time so a second viewing would be necessary haha.

I found a second viewing was even more enjoyable, perhaps because my first viewing I was SO apprehensive, and concerned about the execution, and the critiques of the pacing, etc, that I was constantly reevaluating what I was watching, making it harder to really get into the film and enjoy it.

I definitely noticed some more of the Easter eggs, but that wasn't important to me, though it did add a bit of extra "fun" to my second viewing.

One thing that perticularly stood out for me, or that I was at least able to watch more closely, was the destruction, and who was causing it when.

The ONLY time that Clark ii the one directly responsible for destruction is the gas station, which I've addressed before: the building, though they crash through it, is not destroyed, only the pumps blow up, and there's only one car there, and no on at the pump, implying they were probably inside paying. Yes, some people still pay for gas at the cash register today ;)
That doesn't excuse the carelessness of his actions, but it does reflect on the casualties he is, or rather is NOT responsible for.
Regarding his carelessness here, this was essentially the FIRST time he even threw a punch, let alone engaged in a full out fight, AND it was in defence of his mother. He's still an amateur, and he was understandably blind with rage in that moment.

It does not bother me.

Regarding the rest of the movie, although it is not as highlighted as in Superman 2, Superman is repeatedly trying to move the fight away, and the film makers were clearly making efforts that every time there was any deliberate careless destruction, and endangering of lives, it was being done by everyone BUT Clark.
Even in the cafe fight with Faora, when he's not exchanging blows, he's "charging" at her, in flight, which, with anyone else, would carry her away, outside. The only reason he's unable to ever pull the fighting away is because the other Kryptonians are unmovable objects, and superior tacticians and fighters.

Even in the final fight with Zod, I believe there was only one moment where Superman does throw Zod through something, and it's the least destructive move in the battle. He basically is tossed in one window on one side of the building, across the floor, and out the other side, if I recall. The floor appeared evacuated, or at least no one was in his trajectory, and, unlike when Zod causes damage, the building remains standing.

Yes, Superman is not as blatantly stopping mid fight to save lives, though he does do this, and spent almost his entire life prior to this moment using his powers to save lives. Clearly this IS something he does, and it IS shown.

In the fights in this movie, he is barely given time to breath, let alone step away to focus on citizens, and yet, despite this, he still tries, and at least once (the pilot) does manage to get away long enough to do so.

Sorry to go off defending against critiques here, my main point was that, upon second viewing, these aspects were even more clear, and the destruction is clearly something for which the other Kryptonians are almost exclusively responsible.

Other than that, I did find myself wishing it was a bit brighter in some areas, particularly his suit. I appreciated the more subdued over all look, and didn't mind the darker suit in general, but there were some spots where it was just too dark. Then again, I did see it the second time in IMAX 3D, so it could have been the result of the light loss with 3D.

I'm gonna see if its in IMAX nearby. That's something I dont want to miss.

So I shot over to AMC after work to catch a 2:50 showing so that I could get out before my girl got off(that didn't happen BTW). I came in to a 3/4 full theater which totally floored me. Anyways, my second viewing was AWESOME. I still wish the pace allowed for more of an emotional connection to the character's situations, but I definitely enjoyed it more the second time. I'll probably catch a weekend RPX show if I can find time.

Second time I saw it was much better. The pacing felt more natural, probably because I was expecting the obnoxiously long climax. It felt more natural. The action didn't totally overwhelm me like last time. It just worked.

I'm thinking and hoping that the 2nd viewing will be more enjoyable. Here's to next week.

First time I was hyped we were getting another Superman movie, but I didnt let the negative get me down and I never went into this thinking it was like Donners version.

Second time I saw it was in IMAX 3D so visually it was amazing and I knew what to expect so I just enjoyed the things I might have missed from the first time.

Third time was just as good as the first and second.

overall its a 10/10

:huh:
First time I was hyped we were getting another Superman movie, but I didnt let the negative get me down and I never went into this thinking it was like Donners version.

Second time I saw it was in IMAX 3D so visually it was amazing and I knew what to expect so I just enjoyed the things I might have missed from the first time.

Third time was just as good as the first and second.

overall its a 10/10

U r easy to please. Lol

U r easy to please. Lol

Not really...I didnt like SR and didnt buy into the hype of Avengers or IM3. I just didnt view this movie with hate in my eyes like most of the people on here. You got outside of here and you will find criticism but not like in here. The people on these boards complain and are negative to the core. Nothing pleases people on here it seems. I felt the movie was the best since TDK. It was an excellent movie to me and even just dont nit pick and let some issues bother me. I look at the overall and Overall it was 10/10 for me.

Just saw my second viewing. Some parts didn't seem so bad, but overall the themes didn't tie together for me. I see more that the movie is pushing towards two themes for Kal:

Can you trust humans?

Can you trust your Kryptonian heritage?

I don't think the movie provided answers for Kal to reach a decision on either one though he made a choice. The only performances that still stand out are Shannon's and Cavill's, loved them both, equally on par as Stamp and Reeves though for different reasons.

I do see why people love it and others not so much.

U r easy to please. Lol

So am I then. I could nit pick little things here and there, but I won't as for me it was a 10/10 experience, and that's after 6 viewings. I'm still not burnt out on it, and plan on seeing it another couple of times. Still Have IMAX and 3D IMAX to do yet.

I definitely enjoyed my second viewing more, the first viewing I loved too but I couldn't take it all in and I thought there were some pacing issues between the Destruction of Krypton and the Kryptonians arriving on Earth. But on my second viewing there were no issues at all, thought the film was a solid 10.

Not really...I didnt like SR and didnt buy into the hype of Avengers or IM3. I just didnt view this movie with hate in my eyes like most of the people on here. You got outside of here and you will find criticism but not like in here. The people on these boards complain and are negative to the core. Nothing pleases people on here it seems. I felt the movie was the best since TDK. It was an excellent movie to me and even just dont nit pick and let some issues bother me. I look at the overall and Overall it was 10/10 for me.
:up: :up:
2nd viewing in IMAX 3D definitely make me understand more and complete on the story. 1st viewing i gave 8.5/10 as i couldn't catch up and things happen so quickly. but i know i saw something really good. 2nd viewing a complete 10/10 from me.

I plan to see it for a second time soon, I'm aiming for Sunday but I may not be able to wait that long; I almost booked it over there after work today.

I just got back from either my 5th or 6th viewing and I can honestly say that considering the amount of material Goyer and Snyder put in this film, I don't think they could have done a better job with the editing. I went in to the auditorium today fully expecting to be bored(considering I've seen the movie so many times) and once again I was glued to the screen.

I'm hoping to have my projector by time MOS comes out on Bluray!

second viewing......HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!....I'm planning my 7th trip to the theaters :p

Liked it the first time. Loved it the second time.

second viewing......HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!....I'm planning my 7th trip to the theaters :p

I'm planning a 3rd. But I cant find anyone... they all wanna watch DM2. N my local cinemas left only the terrible show time.

The second viewing definitely was definitely much more enjoyable. When I first saw it, I was struggling to rate it anything above a 6 but now, I think it is a strong 8/10. Perhaps the Christopher Nolan-David Goyer branding tainted my expectations of the film, and I was expecting the writing, pacing, flow and overall filmmaking quality to be more like Batman Begins than what we got, and I'd wager that probably was one of the main yet unspoken reasons why critics ended up being unnecessarily harsh on Man of Steel when it didn't measure up to that benchmark.

During the past couple of years, the bar for the superhero genre was steadily and consistently being raised in one way or another - whether it was in the form of critical acclaim of The Dark Knight, the mega crowd-pleasing antics of The Avengers or the roguish charms of Iron Man, so much so that people were subconsciously expecting Man of Steel to push the envelope of the genre as well. Although it most certainly did in terms of the most destruction and carnage ever witnessed in a superhero film, it was the wrong end of the envelope for Superman to push.

Granted, this doesn't eliminate the film's many problems but at the same time - I must admit that it does have a lot of heart, perhaps more so than any comic book movie to date. It does an absolutely magnificent job of making the audience feel for Kal-El's parents' sacrifice, Clark's sense of loneliness and isolation, the restraints he has to exercise over his powers...

When Superman has Zod in a chokehold and is begging him "don't do this!", you can truly feel the weight of his dilemma - save the people he loves or murder the last remaining member of his race. Bruce Wayne's denouncement of killing makes sense due to his personal loss, and kudos to Goyer for having the balls to put Superman in such a position where his decision will form his code of cherishing life in a manner that means just as much to him, if not more, as it does to Bruce Wayne.

Rounding out the holy trinity of Man of Steel's appeal to me are Cavill's performance and Zimmer's kickass score.

If only they had someone like Jonathan Nolan polish the dialogue and characters (especially Zod), removed the entire "world-engine-terraforming" subplot, dialed down the level of apocalyptic collateral damage a little bit and temper the film's breakneck pace to allow its best scenes more time and room to breathe - it would have easily been amongst the best superhero movies ever made. Even so, the strengths of the film are evident, particularly considering in terms of the polarizing reactions it has received. I can't speak for anyone else except myself, and I've crossed over to the side of the bridge. I am now a believer. Bring on the sequel.

Things which felt better / I appreciated more then the 1st viewing
- Zod throwing the truck onto the Kent house
- Faora
- The tentacle chase. Appreciated its sci fi nature and it felt nowhere as long/dragged out as the 1st viewing
- Kevin Costner's acting
- Science Fiction Elements (showing the craft flying past planets, particle projectors etc)
- Appreciated the Kryptonian suits more. Very well designed
- Jor-El's beatdown of Zod was epic, great choreographed fight scene

Things which felt worse / I appreciated less then the 1st viewing
- The pace. Ultimately just way too fast (even for a 2nd viewing) with no breathers. Needed a better middle section that was really non existent
- Oil Rig Rescue. Blew me away the first time I watched it. 2nd time, I dunno, just fell flat. The music was not as good as I remembered

Last edited:
This is definitely a film that gets better with each viewing.

My first viewing was the walmart showing Thursday at 7 p.m. non 3D show and i absolutely loved it as i was surrounded with fans. We talked after the viewing and all agreed with the direction this film took.

My second viewing was IMAX non 3D (i dont care for 3D if you couldn't tell) and it was amazing. I was able to take a breather and really just take it all in.

It has been that much better with each viewing and i am going to catch my 5th viewing tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"