Critical & Public Opinion: Will it get Worse or Better?

like Iron Man 3 is not "like Bayformers, lots of action and military, liked expecially by young people and with amazing DVD/ Blu-Ray sales, but disliked by many critics."

To this day I still don't quite understand why people say there is "too much action" in this movie. The Avengers had many more action scenes than MoS and they were longer too. The Smallville and Metropolis fight scenes only lasted a few minutes each whereas the battle of New York alone was like 40 min.

I think people's real problem is the intensity of those scenes. They pack much more of an explosive punch than Avengers or Transformers. Also, let's be honest, eventough people don't want to admit it, what Supes did to Zod rubbed everybody the wrong way. People keep saying "no, its not about the neck snap," but truthfully that probably ruined the movie for a lot of fans and critics. If Supes had flown him into the negative zone or soemthing, i guarantee you would not be hearing such extreme vitriol towards the movie.

Its all a part of change. Snyder and Goyer made a very conscious decision to rock the boat and it worked. They could not afford to make a passeable, forgettable superman film, they had to do something bold to get people's attention and get people talking about the Man of Steel and it absolutely worked. I absolutely think in a few years, especially after BvS, people will look much kinder at this film and realize what it was doing.

To me, it wasn't about the amount or intensity of the action, nor was it about the neck snap. It's about how the final fight descended into such cartoonish, over-done action. It just takes away the impact of those scenes when it's THAT over-the-top and goes on THAT long.

I think some of the controversial elements may help the movie in the long run.

To me, it wasn't about the amount or intensity of the action, nor was it about the neck snap. It's about how the final fight descended into such cartoonish, over-done action. It just takes away the impact of those scenes when it's THAT over-the-top and goes on THAT long.

How you feel had that villain been Doomsday with the film being the death of Superman.

Over the top... He's Superman. You're damned right it was over the top. AS IT SHOULD BE. With the strength of his own legs the man can reach heights higher than a skyscraper. He is a Titan among mortals. With SFX being what they are today, I sure do hope a modern Superman film will have an amazingly over the top finale.

I waited years for an over the top Superman fight. I hope the MOS fights weren't the only ones I'll ever get.

In animated shorts from the 1940's that lasted less than 15 minutes each they had Superman doing everything from punching lazer beams, subduing defrosted dinosaurs by using pieces of a suspension bridge as a bolo, fighting off an army of the world's first transforming robots, matching his might against a magnetically attracted comet...Over the top is Superman's middle name! Seriously, now that we have SFX that can give us that sort of stuff in live action, some are like, "No... That's far too much"? I just don't get fans sometimes.

I can understand what your saying but at the same time, for someone like Superman it has to be over the top. If we were to get a truly specular Superman brawl, alot of special effects and CGI is absolutely necessary otherwise we'll get something like the Zod fight in Superman II. Not that it wasn't good for its day but I think the way Snyder did it is the way a brawl between super-powered beings should look like.

I never said not to use CGI or not to have lots of action, but for me, the final scene was just boring smashing for the sake of smashing. It's like Snyder decided to go quantity over quality to the extreme. And there was a distinct lack of creativity; it was just one smashed building after another.

Last edited:
I never said not to use CGI or not to have lots of action, but for me, the final scene was just boring smashing for the sake of smashing. It's like Snyder decided to go quantity over quality to the extreme. And there was a distinct lack of creativity; it was just one smashed building after another.

maybe everything was done right... just the punches were not at the right spot; example: the last scene:- they should have shown the family who were saved by superman.

If the sequel is good (or great) it will be viewed as a springboard for a strong continuation.

Think about how much BB was better thought of after TDK.

If it's bad, it will be unfairly lumped together (Forever and B+R).

If the sequel is good (or great) it will be viewed as a springboard for a strong continuation.

Think about how much BB was better thought of after TDK.

If it's bad, it will be unfairly lumped together (Forever and B+R).

Forever and B+R??? seriously???

I think it depends on how well the World's Finest/Superman & Batman movie will turn out. If it's a disaster, the general public's opinion on MOS will get worse.

As for me, though, I honestly haven't seen the movie since it was in theaters. It's a movie where I enjoyed it (even though I acknowledged it was by no means a great movie), but liked a little less the more I thought about it. I plan to rewatch MOS at some point, but I have a gut feeling I'll like it much less.

I still prefer MOS over Superman Returns though. That much is a guarantee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"