A Single Maintstream Film Universe on the Horizon?

SpiderByte

Superhero
Reaction score
http://www.superherohype.com/news/featuresnews.php?id=9294

The problem is that some other movie companies have the rights to some of the characters but, after a few years, Marvel will get them all back... sooner or later they will get [a single movie universe], absolutely

Now, look at this latest article:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ghostridernews.php?id=9324

Insiders confirm to Vulture that Columbia is facing a ticking clock on the rights to the BBQ-skulled Marvel Comics character: Legally, if the studio isn't in production on a sequel by November 14, 2010, the franchise automatically reverts to Marvel — which means the comic company's new owner, Disney

If Ghost Rider 2 doesn't get into production, Marvel gets the film rights back. If they can't get Cage, they need a new actor or it goes back to Marvel.

So it's basically a win-win.

Could this be the beginning of what fans have been hoping for? For the film rights to return to Marvel, and putting all the film heroes into Earth-199999? (The Iron Man 1 and 2, TIH, and Avengers film universe owned by Marvel). Every film made by Marvel studios so far has done well. If Ghost Rider goes back to Marvel, what about the other film rights? FF? X-Men? Could they come back too?

I mean, look at what they did with Fin Fang Foom. (he appeared in a comic tied into Iron Man, and was made by Jon Favreau, so it's canon in the Marvel Film Universe)

Fin_Fang_Foom_%28Earth-20080502%29_01.jpg

This could be the beginning of a superhero film Golden Age for Marvel.

Or it could mean that Cage can film it and we will get another crappy sequel. Also, they could get a cable TV show actor, a quick re-write of the script and we get a crappy, rushed, reboot like Warzone.

As delighted I would be to see Marvel get the rights back, my cynical side says that Sony would not let either GR and definitely not Spiderman go back to Marvel.

Disney/Marvel still got plenty of properties outside of those "on loan" to the film studios. Even if they don't have Ghost Rider or the X-Men, all the hundreds of characters still remaining already make a big film universe.

Yes, but most of the major characters are owned by other companies. They have the Avengers, but the general audience has no clue who they are. Thor and Iron Man are second tier, in the eyes of the GA. Cap, everyone knows, but not a lot of people know his real name, how he got his powers, that he was in WWII, etc etc. Introducing too many less dominant heroes will make less money (case in point: Watchmen. VERY low on GA radar. Iron Man and Watchmen had about the same budget, but Iron Man made...what, four times more?). The film characters coming out now are either first tier or second-tier (on OUR scale, not the GA's scale). Second tier for us is third tier for them, second tier for them is often first tier for us. Thor is third tier to them and first tier to us, and Avenger is first tier to us and, what, fifth tier to them.

And, of course, the Defenders are about five-billionth tier in the eyes of the GA, 3rd tier for us.

I vote It would be good.

Its risky but I would like them to make a go of it.

I think it's the best thing that could possibly happen. IM and TIH were two of the best films based on Marvel properties yet.

And if Marvel gets all the rights, think of the crossover possibilities! There will be no restrictions!

I'm thinking Daredevil can become Disney property easily since the last time Fox used it is years ago.

Yes, but most of the major characters are owned by other companies. They have the Avengers, but the general audience has no clue who they are. Thor and Iron Man are second tier, in the eyes of the GA. Cap, everyone knows, but not a lot of people know his real name, how he got his powers, that he was in WWII, etc etc. Introducing too many less dominant heroes will make less money (case in point: Watchmen. VERY low on GA radar. Iron Man and Watchmen had about the same budget, but Iron Man made...what, four times more?). The film characters coming out now are either first tier or second-tier (on OUR scale, not the GA's scale). Second tier for us is third tier for them, second tier for them is often first tier for us. Thor is third tier to them and first tier to us, and Avenger is first tier to us and, what, fifth tier to them.

And, of course, the Defenders are about five-billionth tier in the eyes of the GA, 3rd tier for us.

What? You think Ghost Rider is first tier or something?

And Iron Man is not second tier anymore, especially in about 3 weeks. Iron Man is going to be more well known than all the X-Men, except for maybe Wolverine.

Sometimes I'm actually happy Marvel doesn't have the rights for X-Men, because if they did then Wolverine would probably appear in every Marvel movie.

I mean before Iron Man came out, he was second tier to the GA. He's back at the top, and I never said Ghost Rider was first tier. Ghost Rider is second tier.

How does saying Iron Man was second tier to the GA mean Ghost Rider's first tier? Don't shove words in my mouth when I never said them. I said Iron Man was second tier. I never said Ghost Rider was first tier anywhere in there.

What did I say that would make you think I said Ghost Rider was first tier? Saying that Iron Man was second tier?

Iron Man became 1st tier to the GA because of a great movie. Any hero can be 1st tier to the GA if the movies good. Iron Man is living proof of that. It all goes back to making a quality film.

As for one movie universe, it will be great. If you need one reason why, because Marvel will be in charge and look at how good IM and TIH were with them in charge.

I mean before Iron Man came out, he was second tier to the GA. He's back at the top, and I never said Ghost Rider was first tier. Ghost Rider is second tier.

How does saying Iron Man was second tier to the GA mean Ghost Rider's first tier? Don't shove words in my mouth when I never said them. I said Iron Man was second tier. I never said Ghost Rider was first tier anywhere in there.

What did I say that would make you think I said Ghost Rider was first tier? Saying that Iron Man was second tier?

Chill out man, you were going back and forth.

I didn't mean to put words in your mouth, I was confused by your posts.

Sometimes I'm actually happy Marvel doesn't have the rights for X-Men, because if they did then Wolverine would probably appear in every Marvel movie.

LoL :woot:

FOX owns quite a bit of franchises... but they never crossed any characters before eh...

Well I mean characters like X-Men and Spidey have always in the comics been rather isolated from Avengers, Fantastic Four, Thor, etc. (until recently in the Quesada era).

So...I don't find it hard to imagine that Tobey Maguire's Spidey is in the same universe as RDJ's Iron Man. Some characters, like Blade, are a little harder to reconcile with the rest of the universe, so I have no problem seeing that annexed, if you know what I mean.

Well I mean characters like X-Men and Spidey have always in the comics been rather isolated from Avengers, Fantastic Four, Thor, etc. (until recently in the Quesada era).

So...I don't find it hard to imagine that Tobey Maguire's Spidey is in the same universe as RDJ's Iron Man. Some characters, like Blade, are a little harder to reconcile with the rest of the universe, so I have no problem seeing that annexed, if you know what I mean.

Maybe X-men by themselves... then we have Avengers + FF + Spidey..
and the third universe with Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Punisher, Moon KNight
That would be cool

Yes I do think that a separate Marvel Knights continuity would work better than a complete continuity

I'm holding my breath hoping Fantastic Four will revert. It seems obvious that Fox doesn't know what to do with these characters and I hope they realize the characters, in their clumsy hands, aren't worth much and just give up.

A dream of the day when the Fantastic Four returns to Marvel...then we can actually get a good film. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"