A Song of Ice and Fire books

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you hate Victarion?! He's one of my favorite characters. Re-reading the books, Theon is becoming one of my favorite character also.

How do you hate Victarion?! He's one of my favorite characters. Re-reading the books, Theon is becoming one of my favorite character also.

Victarion is just a brute. His whole "fear me I am the Kraken all will bow before me or die!" machismo gets old.

He is just a brute, but in a series of schemers and master manipulators he's a little different from the usual POV and that's his charm, at least for me....that and the fact that he's basically become a force of nature now that he's embraced the Red God, I'm sure that's put a kink in Euron's plans. He kinda reminds me of Conan the Barbarian, or at least the (naturally) less intelligent Ironborn equvilant.

I've no illusions about him living in the long run but I just want to see the Ghiscari meet his axe and hopefully have him and his wretched brother finish each other off.

Last edited:
He is just a brute, but in a series of schemers and master manipulators he's a little different from the usual POV and that's his charm, at least for me....that and the fact that he's basically become a force of nature now that he's embraced the Red God, I'm sure that's put a kink in Euron's plans. He kinda reminds me of Conan the Barbarian, or at least the (naturally) less intelligent Ironborn equvilant.

I've no illusions about him living in the long run but I just want to see the Ghiscari meet his axe and hopefully have him and his wretched brother finish each other off.

Conan has never been far from my mind when reading his chapters as well. He is like a wrecking ball with the wrath of the Old Testament God. Just get out of his way and make yourself as small as possible.

Vicatarion is like Jaime for me. I don't like the character on a personal level like I do Jon or Tyrion, but I enjoy reading their chapters just as much.

I just like Victarion because he's bad***, that's about it. Somehow his brutality comes off as cool unlike say Ramsay's. Not sure why.

I'm not even sure that would count as a battle. More like two crippled old goats hitting head on.

Victarion is going to tear **** up! I hate the man, but I he gets **** done lol.

Oh and I really wish GRRM would change it up and stop dragging chapters out and then ending on a cliffhanger right as things get good . He said in interviews that he learned that technique in TV as a way of getting viewers to stick around through the commercial break because they wanted to see what happened. The problem is that some chapters meander for the first 2/3 and then end as things are getting good and then this character won't show up for a hundred pages and when they do the good stuff is over and we are reading the aftermath. I wouldn't mind it every once in a while but for every freaking chapter it is annoying. He doesn't have to get me to stick around every single time. I'm reading his book already and I ain't going anywhere. It makes for a very choppy pace.

ADWD felt like a book of cliffhangers and I got tired of waiting a hundred pages or more to see what happened to a character so I mapped out the chapters and came up with a chapter order I could better enjoy. Not saying GRRM is wrong. It is his books, but for my own enjoyment I had to tweak it a bit.

If it makes you feel any better.
Barristan's chapter was not like that. It was more of a tension builder of him readying the troops while diseased ridden bodies exploded all around them. It was kind of a reflection chapter for him, which makes me wonder if he's going to make it back to Westeros or not.

I haven't even gotten to this point in the books, but I really, really can't wait to see [blackout]Lady Stoneheart[/blackout] on GOT.

Can someone tell me whether, at any point after the first two books that are out, we get any indication as to what the hell happened to Benjen Stark? Or if he's even still alive?

Can someone tell me whether, at any point after the first two books that are out, we get any indication as to what the hell happened to Benjen Stark? Or if he's even still alive?

There is something.

If you want to know more, finish A Storm of Swords or read this:

Sam flees for the Wall with Gilly (Craster's daughter) and hide in an abandoned hut. While there, they are overwhelmed by Wights. A man named "Coldhands" saves them. He wears black and called Sam brother which suggests he was a man of the Night's Watch. He looks like a wight but has his face mostly concealed, rides a stag, and can control crows/raves. He brings them to a spot where they can pass through the Wall to one of the abandoned Night Watch castles. However, he himself cannot pass through the wall, likely due to its magic. Later, he accompanies Bran, Summer, Hodor, Jojen, and Meera beyond the Wall to meet the Three-Eyed Raven.

There's a theory that this is Benjen Stark. He presumably died and became a Wight but the Children of the Forest were somehow able to save him. It's also believed that he's the one who buried the chest with the horn and dragonglass daggers.

I thought the theory that Benjen was Coldhands is false? I thought I read somewhere that Coldhands is older than Benjen.

I thought the theory that Benjen was Coldhands is false? I thought I read somewhere that Coldhands is older than Benjen.

It's not explicitly false. The Children of the Forest say he died "long ago" and since they're already centuries old, 2-3 years wouldn't be long ago to them. It more adds possibilities to his identity than completely eliminates Benjen, IMO. It could be someone from the Age of Heroes like the Night King.

Wish I could join in for the talk but I'm still reading A Feast for Crows. ._. Hahaha.

Anyone think Gerion Lannister will show up or we learn what happen to him?

I' am more concerned if Howland Reed will ever show up.

Anyone think Gerion Lannister will show up or we learn what happen to him?

I'd love that. The guy seems pretty awesome from what Genna, Tyrion and Jamie said about him being this humorous, happy guy who was fond of his youngest nephew. Also the fact that Tyrion thinks of him a lot during Dance might be telling.

Maybe one of the main characters will head to Valyria and find him living in a harem full of silver haired-purple eyed women :hehe:

What got me thinking about him is that I saw a thread elsewhere discussing the "The dragon has three heads" prophecy. One thing someone mentioned is that it could be Jon, Daenerys, and Tyrion because all 3 of their mothers died from childbirth. I thought about Valyrian steel swords. Jon already has Longclaw, Dany may come across Dark Sister or Blackfyre. If Tyrion is the third, perhaps he finds Brightroar and his uncle's fate.

What got me thinking about him is that I saw a thread elsewhere discussing the "The dragon has three heads" prophecy. One thing someone mentioned is that it could be Jon, Daenerys, and Tyrion because all 3 of their mothers died from childbirth. I thought about Valyrian steel swords. Jon already has Longclaw, Dany may come across Dark Sister or Blackfyre. If Tyrion is the third, perhaps he finds Brightroar and his uncle's fate.

Dark Sister's last owner was Bloodraven isn't it? I suppose he wouldn't need it anymore.

The identities of the three dragon riders were something I had in my head as I started re-reading. I'm not very far.. maybe 1/4 through the first book but there were a few things that really struck out at me.

One was the first chapter that Tyrion and Jon were talking.. a line that says something a long the lines of As Tryion walked into the doorway the flame cast his shadow taller and for just a moment, Tyrion was as tall as a king.

Then more specifically to what you were saying.. One of the chapters when Tyrion and Jon are headed to the wall... Tyrion mentions to Jon that when he was a boy he would stare into the fire for hours and imagine it was dragonsbreath and that he always dreamed of riding a dragon because then it wouldn't matter that he was a dwarf. Jon initially mocks him for dreaming about dragons but as the chapter ends, Tyrion is going to bed and he looks back at Jon who is standing guard and sees Jon staring into the fire the same way Tyrion had described to him and Tyrion makes a sad smile and leaves.

Just wondering if maybe that might be a little foreshadowing. I've really found a lot at this point.. and I'm sure I'm reading way too much into things now on my second read through.. things like the very first chapter being about Bran and wondering if there is any significance to that.. all kinds of crap like that..lol

A couple of things I'm seeing in /tv/'s Game of Thrones thread(s):

Cleganebowl

The surviving Starks becoming the antagonists in the last books.

Can someone tell me what the Cleganebowl is, and offer some opinions on the spoilered point?

A couple of things I'm seeing in /tv/'s Game of Thrones thread(s):

Cleganebowl

The surviving Starks becoming the antagonists in the last books.

Can someone tell me what the Cleganebowl is, and offer some opinions on the spoilered point?

Spoilers if you haven't read up to book 5.

Apparently it's a hypothetical throw down between the Clegane brothers at some point in the future.

And the only Stark that seems like a potential, legitimate antagonist is Lady Stoneheart and I'm not sure if she counts.

Last edited:
But isn't...[blackout]Sandor still alive, just no longer "The Hound"?[/blackout]

But isn't...[blackout]Sandor still alive, just no longer "The Hound"?[/blackout]

Oh, right, he's the gravedigger. I keep skipping the Brienne chapters in AFFC so I forgot about that. I'll amend the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"