Good Books to Read While in Jail

DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs

Avenger
Reaction score
My buddy got roped up on his 6th DUI and will be doing a pretty good stretch. I made this thread so I can get some good ideas for books to send to him while he is locked up these next few years. Anything that you think is a good read or self help kind of stuff would be appreciated. I'll be getting an idea of what he likes here soon but feel free to post anything that is good. I sent him book one of the Song of Fire and Ice series to see if he likes that as well as Outwitting the Devil: The Secret to Freedom and Success by Napoleon Hill.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Don't they have a library in jail?
Find something that interests your friend, that's the best I have to say.

Don't they have a library in jail?
Find something that interests your friend, that's the best I have to say.

They do have some books but a lot of the times pages are missing and the selection usually isn't that great. I haven't been big into reading books for a while so I figured all the fine folks here at the Hype could help me figure out some good stuff to send him I wouldn't have otherwise thought of

Send him a bunch of Cliff Notes booklets.
If he likes what he reads and is interested in more of a book, send him the full version.

Maybe something to tell him how to stop breaking the law like a schmuck.

the 5 people you meet in heaven. it's a short book, and despite the title, it's not a religious book really.

but since his crimes are DUIs apparently, at least one of the people the protagonist meets will show you that you can affect lives that you've never even thought of. that might hit close to home with the DUIs, but i don't know if he's ever hurt anyone while driving under the influence or not.

Maybe something to tell him how to stop breaking the law like a schmuck.

If we could not use this thread to bash him that would be appreciated. I have 2 DUI's myself and have battled with addiction since I was 16. We each have our own path to walk and struggles to deal with and I'd like this thread to be about things that can either help him get away from the monotony of jail in a good book or something to read that will help him better himself. Many great people in this world struggle with addiction so to say something as silly as "don't break the law" really isn't adding anything to the conversation.

the 5 people you meet in heaven. it's a short book, and despite the title, it's not a religious book really.

but since his crimes are DUIs apparently, at least one of the people the protagonist meets will show you that you can affect lives that you've never even thought of. that might hit close to home with the DUIs, but i don't know if he's ever hurt anyone while driving under the influence or not.

Thanks CC, that sounds really good. Fortunately for himself he has never hurt anyone due to his drunk driving but if he continues on that path I'm sure it won't be long before it happens. I talked to him about treating this as a blessing in disguise and he has already signed up for AA in the jail. Any more suggestions for thought provoking literature will be greatly appreciated

EDIT: Found a used copy on Amazon and sent it to him!

let me know what he thinks of it, it's a book i'd like to read again one day

Will do, I go down and see him every week on my day off. I can write him letters too. If anyone is interested in writing him I can post the address. I know it seems weird writing to someone you don't know who is in jail but Chris is a very smart individual and one of the nicest guys I have ever met. Plus getting mail in jail is always awesome. It breaks up the the repetitive structure of jail and gives you something to do. So if anyone wants to write him just let me know and I will post it

Best Served Cold: This is a somewhat soft fantasy. It is fantasy, but not in the sense of Harry Potter with epic spells and such. My takeaway from this one is that bad people-really bad people-can distinguish themselves as heroes in the circumstances that pushed them to do some really bad stuff. There's also some nice black comedy throughout. The basic plot is that a mercenary named Monza Murcatto assembles a team including a turncoat, a poisoner, a psychopath obsessed with numbers, and a war veteran trying to be a better man in order to get revenge on a host of powerful individuals, nobles, a banker, a duke in the midst of a war-torn country.

Reviews on this one are split: some say its an endless pit of nihilism, others find it to be a black comedy, and some see it as I do. A very dark story in terms of tone and themes during which the heroism of Murcatto and her band is made brighter by the tone and themes.

Best Served Cold: This is a somewhat soft fantasy. It is fantasy, but not in the sense of Harry Potter with epic spells and such. My takeaway from this one is that bad people-really bad people-can distinguish themselves as heroes in the circumstances that pushed them to do some really bad stuff. There's also some nice black comedy throughout. The basic plot is that a mercenary named Monza Murcatto assembles a team including a turncoat, a poisoner, a psychopath obsessed with numbers, and a war veteran trying to be a better man in order to get revenge on a host of powerful individuals, nobles, a banker, a duke in the midst of a war-torn country.

Reviews on this one are split: some say its an endless pit of nihilism, others find it to be a black comedy, and some see it as I do. A very dark story in terms of tone and themes during which the heroism of Murcatto and her band is made brighter by the tone and themes.

Sounds like an interesting read, I'll send it off to him

Pretty much anything from Stephen King, the Dark Tower series in particular. :) The Sandman Slim series by Richard Kadrey is also a lot of fun. It's angels and demons, a Constantine sort of thing but with plenty of dark humor and hilarious wordplay.

War and Peace by Tolstoy

Don Quixote by Cervantes

The Three Marketeers by Dumas

The Martian by Andy Weir

The Barsoom Saga by Edgar Rice Burroughs

A Journey to the Center of the Earth by Verne

Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

Iliad and the Odyssey by Homer

Lord of the Rings

Dark Tower by Stephen King

The Shinning and Doctor Sleep by Stephen King

The Stand by Stephen King

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

Les Miserable by Victor Hugo

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L Shirer

The Campaigns of Alexander by Arrian

Caesar: Life of a Colossus by Adrian Goldworthy

^^ I haven't read the Martian yet though it's on my Kindle. I heard it was great. It got a ton of great reviews.

Its really good. And since its about a person being trapped somewhere but refusing to give up and despair I thought it was appropriate.

The Art of War- Sun Tzu
Long Walk to Freedom - Nelson Mandela

Keep them coming everyone! Some really good stuff, I know he will really appreciate all the great reads as do I. I knew I could count on the Hype to help me out

CC I just got a call from him and he said he already read that one! He is pretty well read. He said there is another one by the same author called something about "Tesday Meetings" that he liked better. I told him it was on the way. It was only $6 anyway though. Any other good suggestions?

Oh and he also said he loved GotG so much he wanted to read some of their comics. I know Annihilation is considered a good one but if anyone wants to give me the definitive GotG reads that would be appreciated

CC I just got a call from him and he said he already read that one! He is pretty well read. He said there is another one by the same author called something about "Tesday Meetings" that he liked better. I told him it was on the way. It was only $6 anyway though. Any other good suggestions?

it's called Tuesdays with Morrie. that's good too. One More Day was a good one by him too

Believe me, when you're in jail, any book can be a good book. Depends how the jail your friend is going to operates.

Oh and he also said he loved GotG so much he wanted to read some of their comics. I know Annihilation is considered a good one but if anyone wants to give me the definitive GotG reads that would be appreciated

Basically everything from Annihilation to The Thanos Imperative. The entire 24 issue run of Abnett and Lanning's run on Guardians is amazing as well. But personally, aside from the Guardians run, Annihilation and Annihilation: Conquest were my favorites.

This, and pretty much the other five books in the First Law series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"