A Sonic the Hedgehog movie: Yay or Nay?

CJ

Sidekick
Reaction score
Okay, I'm a little biased here, being a Sonic fan and all, but I wanted to get your opinion on the subject. Would you like to see a Sonic the Hedgehog feature film?

I think there's tons of potential for a Sonic movie franchise. They could tell the origins of Dr Robotnik/Eggman, how Sonic met Tails and the history of the Chaos Emeralds. Maybe do a full-blown adaptation of Sonic Adventure?

If they stay away from the old cartoons in the 90s and stick with the japanese canon, have a strong focus on action, and write Sonic's dialogue in a smart, tongue-in-cheek & snarky manner, instead of his "mondo cool, totally excellent!" dribble found in the cartoon series, I think there is lots of potential there.

I'll stick with the anime movie even if Knuckles was wearing a cowboy hat for some odd reason.

Oh god no. I can't see how that would ever be good.

I'm 30. I played Sonic and had my mind blown on the genesis. A Sonic Movie made with CGI with a budget like Tintin....

I would love it! Sue me.

i'm with the bruce..hell..it can't be any worse than super mario brothers!!

Somebody already is. And they got Jaleel White to voice Sonic.

[YT]KRBW7ohmQUE&feature=related[/YT]

[YT]OZExm10WX7o&feature=related[/YT]

That's a fan-film you're referring to, Cabel.

But.. it looks like an official Sonic movie might actually be happening! :wow:

Though several community watercoolers were offline yesterday in protest of the SOPA and PIPA legislation, those that remained active were abuzz of word some sort of official Sonic movie may be in development by Sega Sammy’s animation arm in Japan, Marza Animation Planet.

Though there remain skeptics, it helps when the alleged source is one of the main men behind Sonic, Yuji Naka. Recently, Mr. Naka took a trip to Marza, and via his Facebook and Twitter feeds, mentioned something about a Sonic animation while there. It had been tough to this point to get a proper translation, which has been key in determining what Mr. Naka actually said. So we asked our Japan based reporter Danny Russell, fluent in the language, to help us. From Danny, here is what Mr. Naka said in part:

"Marza Animation Planet is made up of members from VE R&D (http://sega.jp/corp/saiyo/csjob/ve.shtml), which is a division he had a hand in creating. It looks like they’re working on a Sonic movie. Their offices seem nice, and they have a screening room / theatre there."

Danny further clarified tonight, saying Mr. Naka’s remarks don’t necessarily confirm or deny anything that was fit for release–just that work toward a Sonic animation was seen while at the studio, and it appeared to be part of a larger movie project.

Sega, for their part, have said nothing on the matter. While the work could be for an upcoming game or an internal project, there is at least some hope Sega Sammy is pushing its animation studio toward pushing the company’s flagship franchise on to the big screen. If we hear anything more, we will pass it along. Thanks to all who tipped us off to this story.

http://www.tssznews.com/2012/01/19/yuji ... the-works/

:woot:

I'll only watch a Sonic movie if it's a super serious drama and it's done with performance capture, Avatar style, and Sonic the Hedgehog is played by Gary Oldman. Those are awfully specific demands, so luckily I doubt I'll ever be watching a Sonic movie.

Nay, Sonic is dead.

Not sure how when his last game is pretty successful..Although it's cause it went old-school in gameplay while staying fancy in graphics!!

I'll only watch a Sonic movie if it's a super serious drama and it's done with performance capture, Avatar style, and Sonic the Hedgehog is played by Gary Oldman. Those are awfully specific demands, so luckily I doubt I'll ever be watching a Sonic movie.

IF your actually being serious..Why would Sonic be too serious?I can agree with performance capture But Andy Serkis is the man for the job!

IF you were being extremely sarcastic..Eh that was one big lame joke!

Actually, there already is a Sonic movie, aptly named... Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie. Japanese animated film that came out in 1996. There is an official English dub, but the voices are a bit iffy. Any Sonic fan should check it out. The battle between Sonic and Metal Sonic alone is worth a viewing.

You can probably find it on youtube these days.

I'd watch that. If only for the Schindler's List like scenes as dr Robotnik gathers up the wildlife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"