ABC's Modern Family

It was a clever show when it started but now every other family sitcom follows its template. The ones with no laugh track anyway. I also like how they never really gave Lily any character development whatsoever, but Joe actually had arcs.

They really shouldve shaken up the status quo. Add Shirleys character full time and fleshed out her out. Have Hailey get married and added her to the opening with her own family.

I was thinking the other day about this show's title and how true it was to current times. This of course led me to wondering how this show would have been if it premiered now. How would they do a modern family now?

There would definitely be at least one transgender character for sure.

Accidentally saw a recent episode when I was at my parents house last week... haven’t watch since s3, midway.

It’s so weird seeing Phil’s daughters as adults, now. But, they still feel weirdly 13 still. Also, Manny looks older than George Lopez.

Final season my ass.

Oh really? I thaught Season 11 would be the last one. Good News for me so.

Considering they were talking about ending it at the end of this season, I'm not surprised. It has sparse funny moments these days and it hasn't really been good since the third season. It had a good run, if maybe a few seasons too long.

Imagine how ballsy they'd be if they killed off a family member in the finale.

My guess has always been Jay's death will be the finale. Something to wrap up the series. With Haley having twins that seems like it might be a good circle of life analogy for them to go with.

My guess has always been Jay's death will be the finale. Something to wrap up the series. With Haley having twins that seems like it might be a good circle of life analogy for them to go with.
I said the exact same thing. :funny:

I find it funny that they killed off Shelly Long's character cause they thought this was the final season.

It's definitely weird watching S1 and a young Luke who's barely a kid and now he's bigger than the parents.

I don't know if it is Lily the character or it is the actress Aubrey Anderson-Emmons being wooden.

I guess they finally addressed it a couple episodes ago with her feeling like she doesn't fit in anywhere in the family.

The series finale was well done. I left the show a few years ago but came back this season.

It was a good finale leaving an opening for the inevitable revival in 10 years time where we catch up on everything that has changed.

I was surprised about one thing though:
Well, two things. First and foremost, that Jay did not die in the end and they have a funeral for him with the usual Pritchett/Dunphy hijinks. That seemed like the direction to go to end the series. But then in hindsight that was maybe too dark an ending. Though they did play up he was going senile while he was actually learning Spanish.

The other somewhat surprising thing is how the kids moved out and Cam and Mitchell ended up going to Missouri afterall. I figured everyone would stay put or at least close by.

Last edited:
It made sense, they all left the nest to an extent.

And it was a good ending. After so many disappointing series finales over the years it is nice we have had a string of good finales. This, Fresh Off the Boat, The Good Place, Future Man, even The Big Bang Theory was decent.

Last edited:
It came full circle as the entire cast was basically full of petty and insecure people so to see them all mature was a conclusion that satisfied.

After walking away from the show 2 seasons ago, I enjoyed the finale and loved the bts special afterwards. It actually made me shed a tear.

I just wish they'd have had the balls to keep the "modernization" of the family going w/Haley truling coming into her own family and getting her opening segment. And having Shelly Long join full time instead of killing her off.

And it was a good ending. After so many disappointing series finales over the years it is nice we have had a string of good finales. This, Fresh Off the Boat, The Good Place, Future Man, even The Big Bang Theory was decent.

My issue with the finale of the Big Bang Theory was that Raj didn't find love, which is how I thought his arc would have ended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"