• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Across the Kraven-verse: How Sony Won the Superhero Cinematic Civil War Thread - Part 59

Status
Not open for further replies.
No sir, no one questioned the blackness of anyone. One pointed out that it was good on Disney for giving unambiguously black women (which are again a rarity in Hollywood) a whole movie to carry and they did it to the very best of their abilities.

*snip*

Um, those two bolded sentences *really* don't go together. You really can't have both at the same time. By definition, to accept and use the term "ambiguously black" is to introduce the idea that the blackness of someone can be questionable and questioned.

I pause when it's family without a track record. That's clear nepotism, even when it works out. But hiring an actor because you are familiar with their work is one of the most obvious and well worn ways to cast in film.

So your saying it would be bad to cast John David Washington in the MCU, because he's clearly only getting the job due to his Dad being Hollywood royalty? *eg*

All three characters deserved better, especially Rey and Finn. Daisy Ridley was really underused—she’s been terrific in the non SW stuff she’s done. (Yes, that includes Chaos Walking.)

This is true. 3 charismatic leads that could have easily become new enduring legends. I don't believe I've seen Ridley in anything else yet but I will be happy to when I do.

All three characters deserved better, especially Rey and Finn. Daisy Ridley was really underused—she’s been terrific in the non SW stuff she’s done. (Yes, that includes Chaos Walking.)

I agree, the writing of the characters really let them down across the board as I don't think any blame of those characters being weak lie on the actors as they did everything they could. Especially Finn had a chance to be quite a unique Star Wars character given his background, but they basically didn't do anything relevant with it.

So your saying it would be bad to cast John David Washington in the MCU, because he's clearly only getting the job due to his Dad being Hollywood royalty? *eg*
No. Did you read the post? It was specific to casting your own family which doesn't have a track record.

Mark my words, in 10 years you will see a complete 180 online about Rey as a character. I've retired form participating in discourse around her or those movies, but it makes me smile seeing how in awe that little girl is of her. There's nothing better.

I'll always be a Rey fan, even if the writing was inconsistent at time.

Not yet, installing it and will probably start midweek. Shame it’s not multiplayer/coop as I have a bunch of friends starting it.

Nice. It looks fun and got some good reviews. I think I'll start it over Christmas vacation... that is if I'm not caught up in the matrix of Pokemon Scarlet.

Nice. It looks fun and got some good reviews. I think I'll start it over Christmas vacation... that is if I'm not caught up in the matrix of Pokemon Scarlet.
Good to know. I'm looking forward to it. I quite like these kinds of games even without the Marvel side of it. Haha, Pokemon hard to resist.

You prefer Warlock to look a dude in matte body paint, wearing an overdesigned suit of armor, over a regal, otherworldly being?

I despise Gunn's cheap, low-fi, almost "backyard"-esque aesthetic for these characters... Just imagine what someone like Denis Villeneuve could've done with this property
I dint find him to be regal or otherworldly in the game, I thought he was fugly. So yes.

I do agree they couldve gone bigger with it, but again im hoping post production plusses it up a bit. But I would enjoy seeing what a Villeneuve or similarly visually minded director wouldve gone for design wise.

Um, those two bolded sentences *really* don't go together. You really can't have both at the same time. By definition, to accept and use the term "ambiguously black" is to introduce the idea that the blackness of someone can be questionable and questioned.
I mean, yes? It can be, and often is, many times preferred, to be "questionable", especially in mainstream Hollywood. Producers often bank on that "ambiguousness" that exists as a buffer between black and white; closer proximity to whiteness always being the goal.

Colorism is a very real thing, that affects primarily darker-skinned Black people, but especially Black women. I'm not sure how this is a controversial thing to state, when it's simply a fact.

I think the issue is that you imply that someone isn't "black enough".

With the Christmas holidays coming up, $800 million should be a lock.

Will it have enough juice to get to $900 million? I'm guessing no but I'd love to be proven wrong...

I think the issue is that you imply that someone isn't "black enough".
Well, yes. There's always going to be some element of that, because at the end of the day, race is socially constructed-- based on how the world perceives you, and how you're treated as a result of that perception.

I'm black, and my mother, although non-white (Asian), is non-black. But I identify as black, because that's how the world sees me, and that's how I was raised. It's never been a question for me, and no one has ever questioned my blackness, unless I *told them my mother wasn't black.

But then you have somebody like Halsey claiming to be black, with one half-black parent, that's going to rub A LOT of people in the Black community the wrong way, regardless of how some people in this thread may feel about that-- because you're benefiting from all of the privileges that come with whiteness, whilst simultaneously claiming blackness.

We don't go by the one-drop rule anymore. If everyone can claim blackness based on nothing more than percentage in genealogical ancestry, then almost everybody be can black. And when everybody's black, no one is.

There has to be a cut off point.

This might surpass Avengers Cap as the worst cowl design. This helmet is horrific.

Ugly on the inside, ugly on the outside.

I seriously can’t believe they went with that design. Just spray paint an old batsuit and chop the ears off. Brilliant costuming.

Oh but the test screenings have been SO good! Yeah, right.

I mean, yes? It can be, and often is, many times preferred, to be "questionable", especially in mainstream Hollywood. Producers often bank on that "ambiguousness" that exists as a buffer between black and white; closer proximity to whiteness always being the goal.

Colorism is a very real thing, that affects primarily darker-skinned Black people, but especially Black women. I'm not sure how this is a controversial thing to state, when it's simply a fact.
Well, yes. There's always going to be some element of that, because at the end of the day, race is socially constructed-- based on how the world perceives you, and how you're treated as a result of that perception.

I'm black, and my mother, although non-white (Asian), is non-black. But I identify as black, because that's how the world sees me, and that's how I was raised. It's never been a question for me, and no one has ever questioned my blackness, unless I *told them my mother wasn't black.

But then you have somebody like Halsey claiming to be black, with one half-black parent, that's going to rub A LOT of people in the Black community the wrong way, regardless of how some people in this thread may feel about that-- because you're benefiting from all of the privileges that come with whiteness, whilst simultaneously claiming blackness.

We don't go by the one-drop rule anymore. If everyone can claim blackness based on nothing more than percentage in genealogical ancestry, then almost everybody be can black. And when everybody's black, no one is.

There has to be a cut off point.
Says you. But according to you, someone considered "black enough" could say you aren't "properly" black.

What makes this so ridiculous is that you at one point call race a social construct, talk about how you identify, and then turn around and say other people don't get to do the same. You are discounting the lived experience of black folk, because you don't consider them black enough to qualify. And that's what we are talking about here. Light skinned sisters who are considered black by everyone else, but a few black folk when want to other them.

This is a phenomena that happens with another social construct, gender. TERF's too believe there is a "cut off point" when it comes to the acknowledgment of one's gender. Are they right according to you? And if your answer is, "no it's different", let's consider that you've already explained the "lived experience" argument.

You don't go by a one-drop rule, you go by a swatch rule. It's giving into a racist framing of blackness, built on stereotypes and ignoring the lived experience of others. Let's consider the Halsey comparsion for one moment. We are talking about a woman who's parent is black. Yes, black. There is no way white folk are looking at him and say, "hey white guy". We have a daughter of said man, who grew up with a black father, and thus has a black culture background. And now you want to tell her, "hey you don't count. Your father? He doesn't count." You don't get to strip the heritage from someone, their parents, how they were raised. That's anti-black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"