Agatha Christie's "Murder on the Orient Express"

Saw this yesterday. Was impressed. One review said "you'll see the twist coming from about 1/2 way through". I didn't - kept me guessing until the end.
Cracking ensemble cast - only minor complaint that they should have all got more screen time.

Yeah, I hear tell not a single actor phoned it in. I know Gad was on GMA this morning talking about the flick and the honor of acting alongside so many legends.

I'm warming to Gad. He was very funny on The Graham Norton Show.

He's a very well versed and clever guy, I think people just get the wrong idea from some of the **** he's been in.

Saw this a few days ago, really liked it. Agree that some characters definitely needed more screentime, but otherwise a thoroughly enjoyable murder mystery movie with some really good performances. Loved some of the camerawork too.

I wonder if Branagh will adapt any of the other Poirot stories.

Could you tell me how much time does Ridley get?

Got a busy few weekends at the movies this November, excited for this.

Saw this a few days ago, really liked it. Agree that some characters definitely needed more screentime, but otherwise a thoroughly enjoyable murder mystery movie with some really good performances. Loved some of the camerawork too.

I wonder if Branagh will adapt any of the other Poirot stories.

Hopefully, if the last scene is anything to go by... Guess it depend on the success of this.

Just back from the film and I absolutely loved it. It's a slow burner, but builds to a really satisfying climax.

The whole cast is superb but the two stand-outs are Branagh and Pfeiffer. Perhaps I'm biased, but I think she has the best role outside of Poirot and leaves the biggest lasting impression. I've never read the novel or seen the original adaptation so this was a great treat.

Reviews will be harsher as this is the fourth time the book has been adapted, but is beautifully directed by Branagh and at least deserves some technical nominations.

So went to see this today and I liked it overall. Branagh obviously kept it very similar but there was a few different things he did add and that's fine. And the last bit so obviously sets up Poirot's next adventure if this film makes enough money.
icon10.gif

I'd give it a 7/10, Its' not as good as the previous film adaptation.

Also thought it was a decent whodunnit. Some good performances, and a nice dramatic turn for Josh Gad. I'd recommend it for a bargain matinee or Netflix viewing. It looks really nice and really transports you to the time period. Shows you how good film can still look when shot by a competent production team.

Daisy Ridley has a good supporting role in the film. This isn't meant to be an insult, but she reminds me a lot of Keira Knightley here. I never got that from her watching Star Wars

I don't know why being compared to Keira Knightley would be considered an insult. She's a respected 2x-Oscar-nominated actress.

Hope to see this as a matinee maybe sometime next week.

I don't know why being compared to Keira Knightley would be considered an insult. She's a respected 2x-Oscar-nominated actress.

Kind of a running gag about all the waify brunette British chicks that are so in right now in the industry.

Going to see this today at the iPic Theater in NYC. Super pumped.

I thought Pfeiffer, Ridley and Odom Jr. were the standouts. I enjoyed it but I felt some of the other actors were really underutilized.

And I don't know what the heck Johnny Depp was going for with his performance. It was...odd.

I thought Pfeiffer, Ridley and Odom Jr. were the standouts. I enjoyed it but I felt some of the other actors were really underutilized.

And I don't know what the heck Johnny Depp was going for with his performance. It was...odd.

Yep, felt the same with Depp. He was mumbling and acting weird at times. He seemed even more off than in POTC 5.

Given everything that's happening in his personal life, Depp should really take some time off, get out of the spotlight, clean himself up & re-evaluate his life - I'm not even sure he want's to carry on acting, given his last few performances.

It's a little sad to see him in this state... he was like, THE movie star when I was growing up. Smart, classy, sensitive and could always be depended upon to give a great performance.

I think she's a great performer as well, but I don't want it to seem like a shallow, hollow comparison for Ridley or like I'm taking her work as a growing thespian seriously.

I loved it, this is the best adaption of the story so far, Branagh deserves huge credit, not only for delivering the second best depiction of Poirot to date but also marashalling a wonderfully atmospheric and immersive murder mystery.

The film is beautiful and I loved the way Branagh kept things dynamic and engaging with imaginative ways of filming the various character interactions and investigations, he made the train a character of it's own.

All of the supporting performances are good with Michelle Pfeiffer, Daisy Ridley, Tom Bateman and Josh Gad the standouts, while the costume, sets and cinematogrpahy are all wonderful and draw you into the time period.

This is an old fashioned murder mystery, a throwback to the type of story usually reserved for TV nowadays, and I hope it gets the sequel the last scene sets up, an adaption of [BLACKOUT]'Death on the Nile'[/BLACKOUT] that already will have one big change.

8.5/10

I enjoyed it, but was a bit disappointed overall. 7/10 from me.

Not to be "THAT" guy but can we say a 7/10 movie in your opinion can be classed as a disappointment? I mean we're only 3 points away from a Perfect if not a Classic movie.

It's a enjoyable romp and it's the sort of old school film that isn't really made anyone, Branagh was very good as Poirot, the clues are in the film but when they reveal it, there is many 'of course' moments.

Did anyone notice the blatant product placement in the film? It was for Godiva and it took me out of the film briefly.

Not to be "THAT" guy but can we say a 7/10 movie in your opinion can be classed as a disappointment? I mean we're only 3 points away from a Perfect if not a Classic movie.

Does a 6.5 out of 10 work better for you?

ie: It wasn't the completely stellar and engrossing film I was hoping to see, it doesn't handle the mystery element all too well nor does it elevate the source material, but it was still enjoyable and a solid adaptation for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"