Agatha Christie's "Murder on the Orient Express"

Yes, now we're getting into "disappointment" territory.
icon10.gif

I mean I would consider 7/10 a very solid movie.

Yes, now we're getting into "disappointment" territory.
icon10.gif

I mean I would consider 7/10 a very solid movie.

A movie that is solid can still be somewhat disappointing overall, especially if you were expecting something better.

I may have enjoyed the movie more because I had no inclination about the reveal at all. The ending had quite the punch for me.

For those who have seen it... Is the "twist" I keep hearing about the same "twist" as before...

Where all 13 passengers had a hand in the murder?
Just a yes or no answer please.

I may have enjoyed the movie more because I had no inclination about the reveal at all. The ending had quite the punch for me.

That was somerthing I was interested to see, how people that didn't know the story already felt about the twist, it was like when I saw Shutter Island in the cinema, I wished I didn't know the twist.

For those who have seen it... Is the "twist" I keep hearing about the same "twist" as before...

Where all 13 passengers had a hand in the murder?
Just a yes or no answer please.

Yes.

Hercule did it.

....:o

Very entertaining and clever film. Having never read the book or seeing the previous films, I pieced most of it together but not until the third act, and even then there were a few twists I did not see coming when all the cards were laid down.

Just very visually beautiful with wonderful sets, costumes, cinematography and EVERY actor was bringing their A-game, even the ones cast in "bit" parts. The standouts were--of course--the ones who had the most screen time among the supporting players however. And that would be in the order of actual minutes: Pfeiffer, Gad, Ridley, and Odom Jr. The rest were given pretty "bit" roles but they all did superb with what they had.

I will actually give Depp some credit. He was supposed to play a venal, paranoid, creep who hasn't slept in a long time on the surface with something uglier beneath. I thought he actually was pretty damn good in it. I feel like the fact he played such a despicable character and audiences now hate him caused more coldness to his reception, but I think he was what was required.

As for Branagh, very good direction when he was focused on the movie, but this is the first time since "Peak Branagh" in the '90s where I could see he was infatuated with his own performance (see also Hamlet and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein). While he is less fawning over himself as in those two films, I feel he could have cut some of the histrionics and certainly a few of the beats with sequences of him and the photo of his lost love. And I think he would have stopped another actor from being so broad but could not restrain himself.

Still an enjoyable film and ride. I hope Branagh makes another. And maybe reins himself in a bit when he does.

Not as many clues in the first and second acts as to the killer to look back on as I would wish. But, the reveal in the third act was good as the clues and personal stories really came together. But, it felt forced or unnatural. It needed more clues is all I can say...exposition. The list of truly shady people was very small and the book played that more.

Yeah I think subtlety is not Branagh's strong suit. But overall, I enjoyed it.

This piece of music was stunning in the film. Doyle deserves a nomination for it:

[YT]JCUs2zn5RFw[/YT]

That part at the beginning when Ridley's character mispronounced his name as Hercules and he quipped, "i do not slay the lions." I think I was the only one that laughed at that, lol.

It was alright I didn’t see the twist coming and it was a bit too long. The cast was good too.

I'm a huge Agatha Christie fan. I read all the Poirot books back when I was 15. I loved the 1974 film with Albert Finney, but David Suchet was probably the quintessential Poirot.

I really liked the new film. For the most part it stays true to the novels, with a few liberties, most notably Penelope Cruz' character to fit with her own heritage.

The cinematography was excellent, and I was amazed how Branagh was able to utilize the 65mm format and really make the scenes on the train feel cramped.

I thought the casting was excellent, and I was impressed with Branagh's Poirot that he made it his own, but paid homage to the other versions. His was probably a combination of Suchet's and Peter Ustinov's.

Even though I like the 1974 version and Albert Finney was nominated for an academy award, I think that his Poirot is the least like the novels.

I think Suchet's work as Poirot will be unparalleled, but I appreciate what Branagh brought to the role and I thought it was fun and entertaining.

Saw it last night, I loved it. I haven't read the book so didn't know what the end game/solution to the crime would be. My mom (who has read the book many times), also loved it.

One gripe I have is with Johnny Depp's character, though. I don't know if it was a character choice or just how he is now, but it felt like there was quite a bit of mumbling that made it hard to understand what he was saying some of the time
tumblr_ml5s8xYFfL1s58le6o2_500.gif

Saw it last night, I loved it. I haven't read the book so didn't know what the end game/solution to the crime would be. My mom (who has read the book many times), also loved it.

One gripe I have is with Johnny Depp's character, though. I don't know if it was a character choice or just how he is now, but it felt like there was quite a bit of mumbling that made it hard to understand what he was saying some of the time
tumblr_ml5s8xYFfL1s58le6o2_500.gif

Its just how he is now.

Just saw this having somehow manage to get through life so far without reading the book or seeing any film/tv adaptation. I think seeing it that way is probably better as...

it made the reveal at the end hit home a lot better. It didn't occur to me that they all had a hand in it, although I was curious as to how they all knew Armstrong - I thought it was all going to be the work of Harris (the man whose seat Poirot took) My boyfriend went in knowing it was all of them and he said he would have enjoyed it more not knowing that
I really loved - in a time of constant superhero movies and heavy CGI - to see something that was all about performance.

My friend who shares fairly similar taste in movies as me recommended this. Thinking of checking it out over the holiday weekend.

Exclusive: #OrientExpressMovie sequel in the works http://thr.cm/xwWph6

'Death on the Nile' will be the next Agatha Christie novel to be adapted for the big screen.

After first taking the train, Twentieth Century Fox is now readying to hop on a riverboat cruise.
On the heels of Murder on the Orient Express, Fox is staying in the Agatha Christie business by putting into development Death on the Nile, its next Hercule Poirot mystery.

Michael Green, who wrote Orient Express, is penning the script and while there is no deal currently in place, Kenneth Branagh is expected to return as director and reprise his role as Poirot.
Nile, first published in 1937, saw the detective on a vacation in Egypt and becoming involved in a love triangle gone murderously bad. The novel once again featured socialites, social climbers and high society’s help in the cast.
Just as Orient Express had been adapted into an all-star 1970s movie featuring Peter Ustinov as Poirot, so too was Nile. The 1978 movie featured Bette Davis, Mia Farrow, Maggie Smith, Angela Landsbury and David Niven, among others. The story remains one of Christie’s most popular works.
Orient Express, which was made for $55 million, has choo-chooed its way to almost $150 million worldwide since its Nov. 10 opening.
The movie was produced by Branagh as well as Ridley Scott, Mark Gordon, Simon Kinberg, Judy Hofflund and Michael Schaefer.
Steve Asbell is overseeing for Fox.
Green, who co-created the American Gods televisions show, also worked on Logan and Alien: Covenant for Fox. He also wrote Blade Runner: 2049.

the Christie Cinematic Universe is upon us

I'm happy about this. I enjoyed Orient Express. Only thing is...

at the end of Orient Express he's informed there's been a "death on the Nile"... if I remember the book correctly (it's been a while) he was actually on the boat, mingling with the passengers when the death occurred. Like the murder happens quite far into the book... not sure how they're going to get around that.
I assume the remark at the end of Orient Express was meant as a nod and now they have to work around it.

Saw this yesterday, and it was amazing! I don't know if I've ever been more perplexed by the critical response to a film. It seems like it received backlash through no fault of its own but purely because of anti-remake mindsets and nostalgic comparisons. I haven't seen any of the previous versions, so my opinion wasn't colored by that. The acting was splendid, the music beautiful, and the cinematography mind-blowing. THAT is what matters. What came before should be irrelevent.

at the end of Orient Express he's informed there's been a "death on the Nile"... if I remember the book correctly (it's been a while) he was actually on the boat, mingling with the passengers when the death occurred. Like the murder happens quite far into the book... not sure how they're going to get around that.
I assume the remark at the end of Orient Express was meant as a nod and now they have to work around it.
[/QUOTES That isn’t thought as well.
After all , They didn’t know if there was going to be a sequel after all.

Thoroughly enjoyed this, but I did have one tiny 'gripe'....

Poirot's very set on on "There's right and wrong" and while...

he did tell them they'd have to kill him to keep him quiet, he soon changed his mind. David Suchet's portrayal of this moment was stunning. The internal battle he had, deciding against his very core beliefs and religion too, was a sight to behold.
With his portrayal, you could believe that this decision would be one that would haunt his Poirot for the rest of his life, whereas KB's Poirot came across like he'd actually get over it pretty quickly because it was the 'right' thing to do, despite the fact it was wrong. That disappointed me.
That was the only thing though, for me. As stated above, the cinematography was absolutely stunning too.

I assume the remark at the end of Orient Express was meant as a nod and now they have to work around itl.
I am sure that hey will figure something out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"