Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
The argument that none of us would have thought to take any other weapons into that situation is patently ridiculous. Frankly, if I were going up against an unknown number of assailants with super strength I would have been packing a small arsenal. I always wonder why heroes and law enforcement in comic books/CBMs don't just cap some of these low-level villains in the head and be done with it because that's sure as hell what I would do. There is no reason on Earth why someone like Joker shouldn't have had his grey matter splattered across a sidewalk long ago. That's one of the reasons I love MCU Tony Stark and Steve Rogers so much. When given the chance they will kill the bad guys without even blinking 'cause that's how they roll.

It turned out these super soldiers weren't really bad guys, they were slaves controlled by an eye piece. I don't want my TV heroes to be shoot first ask questions later types, resulting in them killing folk they should be helping. Mike and Akela got second chances, why not these soldiers?

Coulson's team are investigators who want to find out what's going on, not soldiers who will kill any potential threat. Personally, I prefer that.

That's the point I've been making. This is SHIELD we're talking about, a global paramilitary organization. Both May and Ward are combat hardened field agents. They should have been far better prepared than they were.

As he is right now, Coulson would probably apologize profusely to anyone they were forced to shoot. He was very regretful when announcing to Scorch that they were going to have to fry him, and was genuinely remorseful. I've begun to suspect that Coulson's softhearted nature is a side effect of his having been dosed with the Super Soldier formula. As Dr, Erskine said, it makes good men great and bad men worse. Phil Coulson started off as a fundamentally decent man, inspired by Captain America to become a soldier and later a SHIELD agent, but still not as kind as he could be.

Now, as Coulson and others have noted, he has changed and become much more compassionate and principled. The good part of Coulson's nature became amplified, turning him into a kindly fellow who tries his best to help people and feels really bad when he's forced to hurt them. He's like Captain America but without the super strength. At least that's my theory. :yay:

Oh my god I think you're right!:wow:

It turned out these super soldiers weren't really bad guys, they were slaves controlled by an eye piece. I don't want my TV heroes to be shoot first ask questions later types, resulting in them killing folk they should be helping. Mike and Akela got second chances, why not these soldiers?

Coulson's team are investigators who want to find out what's going on, not soldiers who will kill any potential threat. Personally, I prefer that.

I'm not suggesting that the agents should shoot first and ask questions later, just that they should be prepared for every contingency if their nonlethal tactics don't work. Their own safety and survival have to be paramount concerns as well. You can't very well give anyone a second chance if you're so careless that they kill you first.

oh come on! they are "extremis guys"
the bad guys. Only mike submit to the experiment for need, they are ex soldiers in bloodlust or addicted to power and violence. we can not justify everyone.

Shield just seems to surprisingly lack in the gadget department. And must have very little funding. Why do they only have one Tranq Gun and Rifle? And why don't they have more non-lethal weaponry?

something like: tasers, net launchers, Glue grenades... some "comic magic" gadgets

Shield just seems to surprisingly lack in the gadget department. And must have very little funding. Why do they only have one Tranq Gun and Rifle? And why don't they have more non-lethal weaponry?

To be fair, Coulson's little group doesn't come off as a threat response unit, but rather an investigative team. Granted, Coulson deliberately gets in over his head sometimes, and this last episode is proof of that; but he probably figured that he knew more personally about the players in this particular scenario and chose to take them on with his own team, rather than call in Big SHIELD for the takedown.

They're kinda like Mulder & Scully in that respect. Yeah, they were Feds, and *sometimes* they'd do basic FBI grunt work, but in general, they were a shadow ops investigative branch handling those special cases that the Bureau proper wouldn't touch.

Last edited:
It's fun to think if Coulson's team is taking on cases like these then what exactly are the bigger and scarier teams dealing with at Shield? It must be a crazy world out there in the MCU haha.

To be fair, Coulson's little group doesn't come off as a threat response unit, but rather an investigative team. Granted, Coulson deliberately gets in over his head sometimes, and this last episode is proof of that; but he probably figured that he knew more personally about the players in this particular scenario and chose to take them on with his own team, rather than call in Big SHIELD for the takedown.

They're kinda like Mulder & Scully in that respect. Yeah, they were Feds, and *sometimes* they'd do basic FBI grunt work, but in general, they were a shadow ops investigative branch handling those special cases that the Bureau proper wouldn't touch.

They did have that energy cone though, in one of the Episodes. They might not be a threat response team, but they should at least have equipment on board for all eventualities. Especially since they get into mortal danger almost every Episode.

What were the scenes with Cranston from?

'Agents of SHIELD' doesn't need more Marvel

While adding more Marvel elements to "Agents of SHIELD" is welcome and should happen gradually, that should not be the focus of the show going forward. The series needs to find a way to stand on its own legs, and it still hasn't yet. The fact that people are still waiting for Iron Man or Captain America or even Hawkeye and Black Widow to show up on the show proves that adding too much Marvel will just be a distraction for viewers. "Agents of SHIELD" needs to create its own story first before taking threads from too many other ones.

oh come on! they are "extremis guys"
the bad guys. Only mike submit to the experiment for need, they are ex soldiers in bloodlust or addicted to power and violence. we can not justify everyone.

Well, they weren't necessarily bad guys. They were controlled by the eye-piece just the way the former Shield agent was.

However, the agents couldn't have known that, so I think their actions were perfectly within reason.

Hi, I'm Agents of Shield an this is how should be, * insert insult here*

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dniBEc9sBGY&desktop_uri=/watch?v=dniBEc9sBGY

I want to cry.

Pretty sure CATWS will be like that.
But yeah, we definitely need something besides Those Meddling Kids in their Flying Mystery Machine.

While adding more Marvel elements to "Agents of SHIELD" is welcome and should happen gradually, that should not be the focus of the show going forward. The series needs to find a way to stand on its own legs, and it still hasn't yet. The fact that people are still waiting for Iron Man or Captain America or even Hawkeye and Black Widow to show up on the show proves that adding too much Marvel will just be a distraction for viewers. "Agents of SHIELD" needs to create its own story first before taking threads from too many other ones.

Well yeah, because doing without the connections to Marvel Comics has served them *so* well in their first 10 episodes. :dry:

It's time for a new strategy. "Wait for it" isn't working. At all.

Throwing a bunch of random cb appearances into the mix isn't going to get it done either. It needs to be a good show first or all the guest appearances in the world won't mean jack.

Throwing a bunch of random cb appearances into the mix isn't going to get it done either. It needs to be a good show first or all the guest appearances in the world won't mean jack.

The success of Arrow at doing just that proves otherwise.
I could link to a dozen blogs stating *precisely* that Arrow/DC is doing all the right things while AOS is doing all the wrong things, but I'll leave that up to you, to just google "Agents of SHIELD vs. Arrow ratings."

I *could* link to a bunch of blogs saying the sky is green but that doesn't make it so and as far as I'm concerned "someone else did it" is not in itself a good reason to do something. That kind of thinking is why you get a bunch of samey rip offs every time a hit movie or show appears.

Last edited:
Arrow has more freedom to introduce CB characters because they're probably not going to be included in the DCCU, AoS can't just introduce someone because then that person is established in the MCU. They have to be much more careful and it's not like the show is doing bad either, those who don't enjoy it seem to be the small minority.

Yeah, this show can't just add people in because they would officially be the MCU version. Saffron Burrows is now Victoria Hand in the entire thing unless they just recast her.

This show's many, many flaws don't stem solely from "Hey, they aren't using as many comic book characters as I would like!"

This show's many, many flaws don't stem solely from "Hey, they aren't using as many comic book characters as I would like!"

So what are your many x2 + italic flaws and what would you have like to seen done differently in those instances?

So what are your many x2 + italic flaws and what would you have like to seen done differently in those instances?

An interesting lead cast for one. Cameos/guest appearances are fine and well, but it'd be nice if there were characters in place that actually made me want to tune in on a weekly basis. Even Coulson. I'm sorry, but he is just not an effective lead in the least. He was a funny little side character weaving in and out of the films, but the lead in a TV series? No thank you.

The whole Scooby Gang within the larger organization of SHIELD... it just isn't working for me.

An interesting lead cast for one. Cameos/guest appearances are fine and well, but it'd be nice if there were characters in place that actually made me want to tune in on a weekly basis. Even Coulson. I'm sorry, but he is just not an effective lead in the least. He was a funny little side character weaving in and out of the films, but the lead in a TV series? No thank you.

The whole Scooby Gang within the larger organization of SHIELD... it just isn't working for me.

See but that's the thing, you're complaint is about something that's been set in stone ever since the shows announcement. That Clark Gregg is the lead. You also didn't give any reason as to how you would change it although to that point I guess you couldn't now. But then you suggest they're a scooby doo gang as well which is another criticism that you suggest no solution to. I fully respect and understand your gripes with the show and it's decisions but at least back them up with things that would at least make it better. Sorry if I'm coming off *****ey I don't mean to attack or isolate anyone who doesn't like the show or at least what the show is doing/has done. I just like to see what people wante that they aren't getting.

My thought on this team is that they're basically the lowest rung of shield, the higher ups wanted to keep Coulson away from the ins and outs of high caliber shield work and in turn let him choose a team he wanted. He chose May because they're old friends/partners/coworkers and she was now being a desk, Ward is an up and coming field agent as well as FitzSimmons being up and coming shield scientists. He saw something special in Skye and wanted to add her into the mix to help her or maybe even himself. Of course this rag tag group of people is going to be an ever changing chemical mixture at first but they're finding they're footing as both a team and a 'family'.

Idk haha this is all how I'm seeing it at least, I mean if Skye's still whining and wards still standoffish to everyone and Mays still always a stonewall in 10 more episodes then yeah my views are probably going to be changed pretty drastically. But as of now I view it as a group of very different people pulled together by Coulson that are still learning how to be themselves and open around the people they're with, and those people were specifically chosen by Coulson who seems to think that as well. It's a growing and learning experience for all parties involved.

I kinda got off on a tangent there oops lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"