Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
THR:
Joss Whedon will return to the Marvel Studios fold for a sequel to The Avengers. Whedon will also create a Marvel-related TV series for ABC.

Having him shepherd Marvel’s foray into television is also an interesting move. Whedon is best known for creating Buffy the Vampire Slayer and its spin-off Angel, as well as the short-lived sci-fi-themed show Firefly. While his ratings track records is mixed, he has a proven knack of creating shows that inspire passionate followings.

His double duties on the film and TV sides may be a hint that Marvel could be creating not only multiple movies but an even broader universe that also includes the small screen.

ABC is still developing a potential Hulk series with Guillermo Del Toro attached. "It wasn't going to be ready this season but we hope it's going to be ready for next season," ABC entertainment president Paul Lee said in May.

Any show to reach the air would be the first Marvel-oriented show since Blade, the short-lived vampire show that air on Spike TV in 2006 and was a small-screen version of the New Line action horror movies.
I hope Joss really gets to let his Joss flag fly with a series like this. I loved Avengers and thought he did a great job of making a crossover like that work, but compared to some of the other stuff he's done, the story telling just can't compare.

On to thread 2!!! :awesome:

What's wrong with Adam? Adam's one of my favorite villains from the show.
I just couldn't take him seriously as a threat. That pseudo Terminator-meets-Frankenstein look was horribly goofy-looking, imo. Another reason I never saw him as a serious threat was because his sci-fi origins made the source of his strength seem more Earthbound than the other villains (and therefore more easily defeatable), and it didn't help that he seemed pretty damn slow-moving (ala Frankenstein). There wasn't a moment where I didn't think that if Buffy and Co. really wanted to get this over with, they could just pull out that rocket launcher they used on the Judge. Most of Buffy's villains were invulnerable due to some kind of supernatural reasons, so I always felt the physical threat with them. But since Adam was literally just pieced together from mechanical and chopped up demon parts by mere (ignorant) mortals, that just wasn't the case with him. Adding to that problem was his lack of humor. I always thought the best Buffy villains (The Mayor, Glory) were funny and threatening at the same time, while I found Adam to be neither, making him a total bore as a villain to me.

The "Earthbound threat" thing is kind of the crux of my problem with the entire Initiative storyline. Buffy should have stayed in the fantasy realm. Sci-Fi didn't mesh too well with their world, imo. I mean, it's a cool idea that the government has taken notice of all the supernatural stuff, but I think they just took it too far, and should never have made them the main threat...unless they wanted Buffy fighting the politics or bureaucracy or something. Not their silly little science experiment, which alone was really just threat enough for one episode, tops. Not a Big Bad for an entire season, imo.

Last edited:
None of those things are usually a factor with me liking a villain. I thought he was an interesting and well developed character, and that's why I like him.

I also don't tend to make that much of a distinction between "supernatural" and "earthbound" threats. In a show like Buffy it's basically all magic.

None of those things are usually a factor with me liking a villain. I thought he was an interesting and well developed character, and that's why I like him.

I also don't tend to make that much of a distinction between "supernatural" and "earthbound" threats. In a show like Buffy it's basically all magic.
Well, different strokes and all that. :yay:

Last edited:
Adam can suck a bag of phalluses. Actually all of season 4 can do so. Riley can choke on said bag of phallus like objects. Hated that underground military psuedo science ****.

Adam can suck a bag of phalluses. Actually all of season 4 can do so. Riley can choke on said bag of phallus like objects. Hated that underground military psuedo science ****.

I fully agree.

:up:

Season 4 had a ****ty arc, but good standalone episodes.

Season 6 had a good arc, but ****ty standalone episodes.

Well, different strokes and all that. :yay:

Very true. :yay:

Season 4 had a ****ty arc, but good standalone episodes.

Season 6 had a good arc, but ****ty standalone episodes.

I disagree with both of those sentiments. I don't fully understand them. Could people go into detail about the dislike of seasons 4 and 6? flickchick85 did and I appreciate that. I've always been incredibly curious as to why people feel that way, about both seasons, because I've always felt like the odd man out among Buffy fans and I don't really understand why.

Last edited:
I hope Marvel drops some SHIELD-related collections around the time that this should air, if it gets picked up. I'd love to get my hands on that trippy looking Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD stuff I've seen.

I hope Marvel drops some SHIELD-related collections around the time that this should air, if it gets picked up. I'd love to get my hands on that trippy looking Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD stuff I've seen.

There was a guy on eBay selling issues 1-5 of the Steranko Nick Fury series. Those books have some of the best comic book art ever created. I found the auction accidentally while browsing this site: http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/nick-fury-agent-of-shield

I love looking at old comic book covers.

I hope Emily Van Camp shows up in this show in a guest role. Would add to the feeling that she's part of SHIELD and not just someone to show up in Cap's movie. Surely ABC can let her walk across the hall, so to speak, from Revenge to SHIELD and do a few guest shots.

Would also like to see how Emily handles Whedon's dialogue.

http://tvline.com/2013/02/18/shield-tv-series-spoilers-joss-whedon-maria-hill/
Joss Whedon Talks of 'Hopeful' S.H.I.E.L.D. Pilot, Plans for Maria Hill and Other Marvel Characters

While precious little is known about Marvel’s S.H.I.E.L.D., this much is certain: If ABC orders the Joss Whedon-directed/co-written pilot to series, it will bring something new to the small screen.

“I’m excited about the show because it’s a very hopeful show,” Whedon told TVLine Sunday at the 2013 Streamy Awards, where he was nominated for best guest appearance (in Husbands). “It’s not about murder, and it’s not about crime, and it’s not people looking into their own belly buttons. It’s about people who are trying to help each other, and that’s one of the things I loved about comic books. They had costumes and the villains were cool [but] they stood for something, and I like doing a show that does that.”

In addition to being very hopeful (and “very Joss,” as ABC boss Paul Lee has said), Marvel’s S.H.I.E.L.D. — not surprisingly — will very strongly evoke its source material. “We’re trying very hard to be true to [Marvel's] ethos and also to the structure of their universe,” Whedon shared. “So it is definitely a Marvel show.”

That said, Whedon says to expect “not a ton” of familiar faces from the Marvel-verse, though “there’s a little bit of talk of that” for any possible future the project has in primetime. “Right now, I want to involve people in the characters that we’ve created for the show,” Whedon said, “and then we’ll worry about [the other stuff].”

Currently, the cast for S.H.I.E.L.D. — which wrapped filming on the pilot last week and is being fast-tracked by ABC — includes ER alum Ming-Na (as former soldier Melinda May), Clark Gregg (reprising his big-screen Avengers role as Agent Phil Coulson), Nashville’s Chloe Bennet (playing superhero culture-obsessed Skye), British beauty Elizabeth Henstridge (science expert Gemma Simmons), Scotsman Iain De Caestecker (tech whiz Leo Fitz) and Brett Dalton (rising star Agent Grant).

Last month, there was talk that Cobie Smulders might sneak away from How I Met Your Mother to at least cameo as Maria Hill, the S.H.I.E.L.D. agent she played in Whedon’s The Avengers. In actuality, Whedon cautions that Smulders’ schedule “will permit very little” involvement, “but if we can get a hold of her anytime, we will.”

After all, the auteur said, weaving in previous inhabitants of his own Whedonverse is nice, but never imperative.

“You look for the best person for the role, and if that person is someone you already know, then great. That’s some work done for you,” he told us. “But as much as I would love to — and once did — make a movie just with my friends, you always want to increase the family.” (With reporting by Scott Huver)

Funny you mention that because Downey is appearing in the pilot as is Chris Evans and supposedly Sam Jackson.

How else do you think they're gonna get huge ratings pilot night? Whedon knows exactly what he's doing giving the fan base what they want.

The producers where tweeting about them being on set. Pics were on Instagram too. Then all news was quickly shut down. Was supposed to come directly from marketing people I gather or be a surprise.

Downey even said something about showing up on the show last year during the press rounds. Check the IM3 set reports that just came out.

From the Justice League News and Speculation thread.

That better be the real deal, or someone's losing their testicles. :o

sweet!

hopefully we'll get some cast members from Buffy & Angel to pop up in some episodes

Exciting. Hope to see Amy Acker show up along with Alexis and some dollhouse alums.

Oh snap, I'll be glad to see him on TV again. He was great on Angel and I haven't seen him in much since. There was that one lawyer show, but the show itself didn't really grab me and he wasn't enough to keep me watching all by himself.

Also, I never read the blurbs about the characters before. I'm looking forward to all the Marvel references that will inevitably be dropped by "superhero culture-obsessed" Skye. :)

He's going to appear in an upcoming episode of Arrow.

Hmm. I'd have to watch Arrow to see him, though. I'll just wait for SHIELD to premiere. :oldrazz:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"