All Star Superman, All Star Batman........what about an All Star JSA?

JSA was the very First DC book I bought. And I had limited knowledge of the group.
It cater's to people outside of DC if the person is interested in more 'historical' type books.

There is no need for an All-Star JSA title, DC has JSA: Classified coming out this summer. Which I think will be better than adding JSA to the All-Star line.

Yeah JSA and JLA Classified allow the writers to tell stories from whatever era they want of the team.

I hope one of the stories for Classified sees Alan following up on Obsidian with Jade. What a great, twisted, dysfunctional family. :)

If they used the REAL JSA from pre-Crisis then the "iconic" arguement is moot. Hell, even if they use the post-Crisis version set in the 40's Wonder Woman is in it. The average idiot doesn't know it's not the same character.

This could have already been said with different wording but isn't the All Star comics supposed to be DC's answer to the Marval Ultimate titles. And the way I've heard them explained is to get new readed and such things. I'm gonna check them out. I think they should see how single titles sell before putting out team titles.

The Batman said:
I'm sorry...but no.

The All Star comics are about iconic Dc characters. the JSA...aren't Iconic. And, if the All Star titles are tied together, it's best to have ONE version of the Flash, GL, etc.

I agree, in fact, I'm not really much of a JSA fan either. I never knew why there needed to be a JSA and a JLA. One is more than enough, and clearly the JLA is better. That's my opinion, though.

:batman:

The Batman! said:
I agree, in fact, I'm not really much of a JSA fan either. I never knew why there needed to be a JSA and a JLA. One is more than enough, and clearly the JLA is better. That's my opinion, though.

:batman:

Yeah and sorry your opinion sucks. JSA is far better than JLA.

And JSA came 20 years before anyone even thought of a JLA.

Whoa Whoa Whoa lets keep this civil guys. JLA right now IS more popular than JSA.
It holds the powerhouses, people outside comics recognize the JLA characters.
I love comics but I would be hard pressed to name more than 4 members of the JSA, and I probably buy 6 different DC titles every month.
For older people, JSA is the stuff they grew up with and so they have an attachment to it. And for a very good reason, Dr. Mid-nite, Dr. Fate, Mr. Terrific? Awesome characters.
Not to mention the original Flash and GL's are on the team.

JLA though has the NEW GL and the NEW Flash. Plus they also have arguably the two most famous superheroes ever, Batman and Superman. ITs like Quench said, you stand in the plains of Kenya drawing the S-shield in the dirt and even the lions can identify Superman. JLA is more popular amongst the civilians and also holds mroe characters that people would call iconic.

Of course everything I said has to be taken with a grain of salt, my favourite JLA member is Aquaman, and every one knows that Fanboys of the "Sea-King" are a lil' bit off their rockers...

I was going to flame you for saying the JSA isn't popular (which it kind of is), but having Aquaman be your JLA member saved you. And Superman isn't the JLA as you said up there. Superman is Superman. He's not identified with JLA>

Why are people saying stuff like, "compared to Superman, they're not iconic"?
Compared to Superman, Jesus is barely iconic.
It's relative, people. To some, the JSA is just as iconic as the JLA. To the average public, the JLA is probably more recognizable, sure. But does that mean the JSA aren't iconic? ummmmmmmm no. It means some guy on the street MAY (and I want to stress "may") be able to recognize the Silver Age Flash and not the Golden Age Flash.

If DC's All Star line is really suposed to be like Marvels Ultimate line then it be more understandable to do an All Star JLA because it is the more well known to the non readed than the JSA because of the cartoon(which now has both JLA and JSA soesn't it) and Batman and Superman. A non reader in my opinion would be more likelyto pick up a All Star JLA than JSA because they would see Superman or Batman.

There's has been more of a hint towards a All Star Wonder Woman book than All Star JSA. Still, nothing concrete as to when All Star Wonder Woman would begin.

The Batman said:
I'm sorry...but no.

The All Star comics are about iconic Dc characters. the JSA...aren't Iconic. And, if the All Star titles are tied together, it's best to have ONE version of the Flash, GL, etc.

Dear The Batman, even though the All Star titles aren't connected your excuse for not having more than one version of a character as it "being the best" has already been all shot to hell. There's 2 versions of Superman in the All Star universe: the Batman version and the Superman version.

I would't want an All Star JSA title, either. To me the JSA'ers are characters of importance, but aren't really iconic, even though I like many of them more than their Silver Age counterparts. I wouldn't want them associated with the crap that is All Star either. I've loved the Elseworlds, "The Liberty Files" and the "Unholy Three", and think a series with that creative team would totally own. I'd buy an ongoing in a heartbeat if it's done by them, even if it's with the mainstream JSA and not the Elseworlds versions.

Regarding the iconism thing....you don't need an iconic character to make good stories, you need a good writer. Iconism doesn't translate to sales. Aquaman is iconic, but he's only iconic in the "he talks to fishes" sense and generally as a lame character (an opinion I don't share). Are people gonna tell me that he's gonna generate sales because he's iconic? Puh-leeze!!!:rolleyes:

Tropico said:
Dear The Batman, even though the All Star titles aren't connected your excuse for not having more than one version of a character as it "being the best" has already been all shot to hell. There's 2 versions of Superman in the All Star universe: the Batman version and the Superman version.

I would't want an All Star JSA title, either. To me the JSA'ers are characters of importance, but aren't really iconic, even though I like many of them more than their Silver Age counterparts. I wouldn't want them associated with the crap that is All Star either. I've loved the Elseworlds, "The Liberty Files" and the "Unholy Three", and think a series with that creative team would totally own. I'd buy an ongoing in a heartbeat if it's done by them, even if it's with the mainstream JSA and not the Elseworlds versions.

Regarding the iconism thing....you don't need an iconic character to make good stories, you need a good writer. Iconism doesn't translate to sales. Aquaman is iconic, but he's only iconic in the "he talks to fishes" sense and generally as a lame character (an opinion I don't share). Are people gonna tell me that he's gonna generate sales because he's iconic? Puh-leeze!!!:rolleyes:

My point was is that the JSA arent known by the general public. And thats the audience the all star line is striving for. They'll probably go for an all star jla instead of a jsa one. sure, they're popular amongst comic fans, but the general public could care less. For example, do you see Marvel's Ultimate books creating an invaders title, complete with the 40's version of the human torch? No, because they already have the avengers.

And as for the 2 different versions: They're still clark kent. Its not like they used clark for one universe and say, john henry irons for another one.

The Batman said:
My point was is that the JSA arent known by the general public. And thats the audience the all star line is striving for. They'll probably go for an all star jla instead of a jsa one. sure, they're popular amongst comic fans, but the general public could care less. For example, do you see Marvel's Ultimate books creating an invaders title, complete with the 40's version of the human torch? No, because they already have the avengers.

And as for the 2 different versions: They're still clark kent. Its not like they used clark for one universe and say, john henry irons for another one.

I agreed with you in regards to the iconism. Saying that characters are iconic to a core group of people and not to the general public doesn't quite fill the definition of icon to me.

If you want to split hairs in regards to the Superman situation, be my guest; they're still two different characters in what matters.

Yeah, I like how both of you assume people who never bought comics before are the ones buying these titles.

it dosent matter whos buying them now. DC's intent is to get the people who've watched DC cartoons, TV shows, and movies to read these books. And in DC media, most of the JSA characters have not made a dent in the public conciousness, for whatever reason. Alan Scott and Jay Garrick are passed over to use versions of the Flash and GL from silver age onward, and the rest havent really been used.

Its like i said about the invaders. They too are remembered and loved by comic fans, but you wont see an ultimate book featuring them, mainly because the avengers are more mainstream. And you probably wont see the original human torch ultimized, because marvel wants to use one version: The one thats more popular and recognized.

The Batman said:
it dosent matter whos buying them now. DC's intent is to get the people who've watched DC cartoons, TV shows, and movies to read these books. And in DC media, most of the JSA characters have not made a dent in the public conciousness, for whatever reason. Alan Scott and Jay Garrick are passed over to use versions of the Flash and GL from silver age onward, and the rest havent really been used.

Its like i said about the invaders. They too are remembered and loved by comic fans, but you wont see an ultimate book featuring them, mainly because the avengers are more mainstream. And you probably wont see the original human torch ultimized, because marvel wants to use one version: The one thats more popular and recognized.

Actually it does.

maybe so, but DC's wants the general public to be the main demographic, not fans already buying their books.

Ok, I really didnt have a point I just was bored.

The is no group that is more All-Star than the JSA. They should set All-Star JSA in the 40's and use the Earth-Two version of the team.

Darthphere said:
Yeah, I like how both of you assume people who never bought comics before are the ones buying these titles.

Was that directed at me, too? 'Cause I don't think they're directed at people that never bought comics. All Star Superman doesn't make sense as a "beginner" comic since it has more Pre-Crisis nostalgia to me than anything else. And All Star Batman.......let's just say that I weep for people picking up this comic who are just now getting into them. Sometimes I think they're more for people already buying comics but b**ch and whine that they want the characters to be taken back to a younger time so they can be more relatable.:rolleyes: Or so they can say "Dis is teh Batman of mine genrashun it roxx00rz, LOLZ!!1!!!1". Does it have the marketing feel of starting somethin anew with big names to get the public interested? Sure. Do I think it's succesful that way? Nope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"