Am I The Only Person Here.........

COAL TIGER

Sidekick
Reaction score
who believes this movie is gonna be garbage?

I'm not gonna try to analyze things and go into big details but I'm going to point out whats very obvious to me that supports my claim that this movie is gonna suck.

1. I may be mistaken but they dropped the budget down to only 12 million?

2. The movie wrapped up very fast.

3. I read the script reviews and this movie sounds like a sequel to Shoot'em Up. Shoot'em Up was a sweet movie but Punisher is suppose to be serious.

4. They gave Punisher a damn sidekick. Now the Frank I know wouldn't have a sidekick. I know he did in past comics. But this version is based off the MAX version right?

5. I may be mistaken again but from what I read, Frank will be hiding out in sewers. To my knowledge he would get sick from the smell and die from all the bacteria.

6. I know this is gonna sounds sexist. But how the heck are you gonna get a woman to direct a movie that's suppose to be very macho? I wouldn't get a man to direct a feminine movie.

That would be me.

I'm not gonna try to analyze things and go into big details but I'm going to point out whats very obvious to me that supports my claim that this movie is gonna suck.

1. I may be mistaking but they dropped the budget down to only 12 million?

unfortunate. :csad:

And this is why Lexi doesnt discuss the film in her blogs probably.

3. I read the script reviews and this movie sounds like a sequel to Shoot'em Up. Shoot'em Up was a sweet movie but Punisher is suppose to be serious.

I'll have to check that out.

4. They gave Punisher a damn sidekick. Now the Frank I know wouldn't have a sidekick. I know he did in past comics. But this version is based off the MAX version right?

yes, or so she would like us to beleive. personally I think this version was the one used in the Archie crossover after reading the script.

5. I may be mistaking again but from what I read, Frank will be hiding out in sewers. To my knowledge he would get sick from the smell and die from all the bacteria.

yes, as I got sick of the lame 89 adaption.

6. I know this is gonna sounds sexist. But how the heck are you gonna get a women to direct a movie that's suppose to be very macho? I wouldn't get a man to direct a feminine movie.

well yes you are sexist, and a newb. 2 points against you, but anyway yes Lexi is quite crazy if you read it. She reminds me of the crazy chick at the party who gets off on hitting people when she has too much to drink you get me?

~Welcome to the Hype. ;)

well yes you are sexist, and a newb. 2 points against you, but anyway yes Lexi is quite crazy if you read it. She reminds me of the crazy chick at the party who gets off on hitting people when she has too much to drink you get me?

~Welcome to the Hype. ;)

Actually I was a member here early last year. And stayed a member for a while but didn't really post much. I had to change internet service and get a different e-mail address. I just now decided to come back.

But anyways, lets be for real. A woman directing a man movie? Com'on now. I'm not being sexist. I'm being real.

There is no sidekick, he doesn't live in the sewers, and Lexi Alexander directed Green street hooligans, rent that movie and stop being sexist. I enjoyed reading the script and believe this movie will turn out great

No, you're not the only person worried about the film. I for one am pumped for the movie and was very disappointed when I hear it was moved to December. But I was mad because I only want to see it sooner. Plus, Ray Stevenson himself has me excited about the movie. While it wasn't a big part, after seeing him in "King Arthur," I was really happy about his casting. Even my mom said she can't wait to see Stevenson as the Punisher (She really only loves the X-Men trilogy; but she enjoyed the '04 and she's looking forward to '08).

Well, you could say Micro and that ex-gang banger are side kicks, but Micro actually worked in the script and Trace is just a useless character.

Well he's living in an abandoned subway platform.

Again I say Green Street Hooligans, isn't that good.

But the fact that she's a women, shouldn't mean jack ****.

1. I may be mistaken but they dropped the budget down to only 12 million?

5. I may be mistaken again but from what I read, Frank will be hiding out in sewers. To my knowledge he would get sick from the smell and die from all the bacteria.

6. I know this is gonna sounds sexist. But how the heck are you gonna get a woman to direct a movie that's suppose to be very macho? I wouldn't get a man to direct a feminine movie.

i'm sorry dude your over analyzing this **** way too much wait until we see something then please come back and inform us what do ya think until then give it some credit.

I have to say ive always tried to stay optimisitic and positive about the new movie...But its getting a little hard...Im concerned and I hope its still good but im starting to really have my doubts, but i know i should at least wait to see a trailer or a teaser or anything...I do agree though that the script sounded a bit like Shoot Em' Up, in Warzone theyre gonna have a lobster kill and in Shoot Em' Up they had a damn carrot kill...Both way too over the top for my taste. But Im going to disagree with Lexi Alexander not being able to direct a movie cuz she's a woman, IMO Alexander handles violence and brutality real well.

I might be wrong about Frank living in the sewers but I'm right about everything else like the fact that some moments in the movie that were in the script reviews sounded over the top. And I'm not saying that Lexi lady can't direct a movie because she's a woman. I'm saying that getting a lady to direct a movie that's suppose to be very manly doesn't make sense.

I don't think the movie will be very good. I'm still a little hurt that LGF drove Thomas Jane to leave the project and then acclerate production and drop the budget to a fraction of what the 2004 movie was. I really, really wish a different studio would pick up the franchise. Plus I want Thomas Jane back, he was one of the few things that was awesome about the 2004 movie. Also, while Lexi certainly seems like she has good intentions, I don't she quite understands the Punisher character at all.

Well, I would argue that men direct movies that are very "womanly" all the time. If Sophia Copolla was doing the Punisher, I'd worry. Just because Lexi is a woman doesnt mean she doesnt get the nature of the character or not know how to portray it on screen. Everything i've read from her would suggest she has a pretty good unerstand of the Punsher and wants to give the fans a stand-alone, violent, kinda funny, all-encompassing Punisher movie that draws from 30+ years of the comics.

Just because she references "MAX" a lot doesnt mean this is Punisher: Max the movie. Punisher was way cool before that series.... I'd say a good number of the posters here loved the character and had an idea of what an awesome Punisher movie would consist of far before they started MAX.

As for him hiding out in the sewer, its a movie. I bet they wont show him wading around in raw sewage. Sewers in comic book movies make good hideouts, they are more than just places to contain the stuff you flush. They are inhabitable if you're a mutant or a crazy human..... its just a suspension of disbelief thing.

I think this movie has A LOT going for it. Not saying it will be great, I have no way of knowing that, but I really don't think ANY of your points are reasons to think it wont be good.

Well, I would argue that men direct movies that are very "womanly" all the time. If Sophia Copolla was doing the Punisher, I'd worry. Just because Lexi is a woman doesnt mean she doesnt get the nature of the character or not know how to portray it on screen. Everything i've read from her would suggest she has a pretty good unerstand of the Punsher and wants to give the fans a stand-alone, violent, kinda funny, all-encompassing Punisher movie that draws from 30+ years of the comics.

Just because she references "MAX" a lot doesnt mean this is Punisher: Max the movie. Punisher was way cool before that series.... I'd say a good number of the posters here loved the character and had an idea of what an awesome Punisher movie would consist of far before they started MAX.

As for him hiding out in the sewer, its a movie. I bet they wont show him wading around in raw sewage. Sewers in comic book movies make good hideouts, they are more than just places to contain the stuff you flush. They are inhabitable if you're a mutant or a crazy human..... its just a suspension of disbelief thing.

I think this movie has A LOT going for it. Not saying it will be great, I have no way of knowing that, but I really don't think ANY of your points are reasons to think it wont be good.

Thanx for proving my points. You said everything you've read suggest she wants to give us a version that is kinda funny? So that gives me another good reason to believe this Punisher movie is gonna be stupid. You actually think a Punisher movie should be kinda funny. If you do then I'm glad you didn't write or direct this. Though it wouldn't really matter at this point. Even some women would agree with what I'm saying.

And if you don't think any of the points I made helps my belief then your in denial.

When it comes to directing, gender doesn't really matter. What does matter is if the director has a good eye for visuals and/or is good with character.

arcblade...ever read Welcome Back Frank? No ones saying Frank should start acting like Deadpool on the bigscreen, a little bit of humor doesnt hurt.

This just in- Punisher comics are funny a lot of the time! There's no denying that. Frank doesnt slip on banana peels or have corny one liners, but there is comedy put in there in the form of things we shouldnt be laughing at. For example, Mr. Bumpo being used to smother the Russian. Or the Punisher punting an armless, legless, old lady back into a burning building. Garth Ennis, who everyone around here seems to worship slips in a lot of humor, but its dark and "wrong" and fits in with the style of the Punisher. Even very serious stories need to have moments for the audience to chuckle, it breaks the tension and keeps people from getting bored. I think you have a very small view of what it takes to make a good Punisher movie.

"In this world, gender matters in some cases"

Very astute observation (child birth-women, hair loss-men). This doenst really apply to writing/directing fiction, where the point is to think outside the confines of what's real. Green Street Hooligans was not a girly movie by any means, do you think that Lexi's style is going to get less or more "manly" for the Punisher (the freaking PUNISHER)? If female film directors tend to make more emotionally-centered films its by choice, not because their DNA makes them incapable of making something kickass and violent.

I don't think I proved any of your points, in fact NO ONE's proved ANYTHING since none of us have seen 2 seconds of footage from this movie. The only thing I can gather from this discussion is maybe you need to go read some Punisher comics, let me know if you want to borrow any.

This just in- Punisher comics are funny a lot of the time!

This just in- you're not funny.

There's no denying that. Frank doesnt slip on banana peels or have corny one liners, but there is comedy put in there in the form of things we shouldn't be laughing at.

Dark humor. Over the top comedy like some dude getting killed by a damn Lobster won't work in a Punisher film on the bigscreen. It'll be too goofy.

"In this world, gender matters in some cases"

Very astute observation (child birth-women, hair loss-men). This doenst really apply to writing/directing fiction, where the point is to think outside the confines of what's real. Green Street Hooligans was not a girly movie by any means, do you think that Lexi's style is going to get less or more "manly" for the Punisher (the freaking PUNISHER)? If female film directors tend to make more emotionally-centered films its by choice, not because their DNA makes them incapable of making something kickass and violent.

Ok so how about they replace these male writers and directors with female writers and directors to do films like Rambo or Commando for now on? :whatever: :whatever: :whatever: That would be just plain ******ed. Man get outta here.

You're just being super PC. Punisher is a macho character. Women aren't macho. They weren't created to be that way. Therefore women wouldn't no what it's like to be very manly. They can try and imitate. But they can't actually be. Any woman can write or direct some guy going around killing or beating people to death but they don't know the essence of manlyness. And that's what Frank is, manly. Theres more to him then just killing and beating people down. So the smart and logical thing to do would be to get someone who's in that field. Which would be a male. Even some women understand this.

I'm not terribly worried. if THE PUNISHER had a weakness, it was that it wasn't quite as faithful to the comics as most people wanted it to be, and there was more planning than action. This time around is quite different. Both scripts read very much like Punisher comics over the years, drawing from various eras in an appropriate manner.

In my mind, The Punisher was never a brilliant or incredibly deep concept, just an intriguing one. I don't see any signs that the movie will suck or fall too short of what The Punisher "should" be. The only real concerns people should have is the acting and the direction. I don't see, in context, any reason to worry on those counts.

Micro, let's face it, is a staple of the Punisher's story. His inclusion, if anything, is a welcome addition. He's not a sidekick, he's a weaponeer for Frank Castle. The humor seems to be appropriate, as does the level of violence and the "thoughtful" elements of the situation Castle finds himself in. And Lexi Alexander is directing the macho movie, not acting in it.

You know, this movie has received such little coverage as of late that i forgot they were even making a Punisher movie. Not sure what to make of it, but i'm a big fan of Ray Steveson. He's the only reason, as of now, that i have any interest in this flick.

I have to wonder heard the limited number of times I've heard about this movie.
lately matter in fact,..all the times I stick up for this movie being great because "Ray" is in it, and it's supose to be in NY, vietnam all that is great.

but the thing is I read the one post about it being 12 million that blows!
the real thing that I'm getting at is this when I went to see "Iron man"
lionsgate had a trailer for a comic movie.

I get all excited told my wife "This must be it!!" (thinking after the lionsgate intro it's going to be the punisher) then the show a preview for "Spirit" another comic movie.

and the punisher gets competion with the move "Spirit" for spring 2009 in the preview 1 week later too Dec 2008.:angry:

Listen I know everyone in this site if the like me or not is going to see "Warzone" but the big pitcure here is some people will have to choose that aren't die hard punisher fans like us. so are they dooming a franchise here???

Lionsgate is making the punisher compete for there own movie??:nono:

do you think I'm crazy here are is liongate taking the punisher seriously??

also if lionsgate has no trailer for the "Hulk" release I'm smelling direct to DVD how about you??

If it isn't with The Incredible Hulk it'll probably be with Midnight Meat Train, and if it's not playing before Meat Train then it'll probably be direct-to-DVD.

Which kinda sucks, because script aside I think the cast is pretty solid. But that's about all that it has going for it right now for me.

I said some things like this in another thread but some folks here are acting like everything about this movie is perfect.

I think most people just have a problem with what you said about a women directors. Which is stupid, directing has nothing to do with gender.

I don't care about woman directors, my sister is a director and she's crazy. But like Claydogg said, if I don't see a trailer, or poster, my guess is D2v!

I hope no one is going to start that arugument again with the sexist comments like that one guy did back when lexi was first announced to direct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"