Comics Amazing Spider-Man #800

sirmarkus

Civilian
Reaction score
Holy crap, what a good issue. I'm not sure where to start? The art was excellent, the story was really well paced, and the multiple variants offered a little something for all kinds of tastes.

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/2018/06/02/the-amazing-spider-man-800/

I really enjoyed that this was basically a long running battle, and that it never felt like it was dragging on. Not sure why they offed Flash, as it didn't feel to me like it added any emotional weight.

Red Goblin looked amazing. Talk about a villain that oozes menace and insanity.

What did everyone else like/dislike?

Holy crap, what a good issue. I'm not sure where to start? The art was excellent, the story was really well paced, and the multiple variants offered a little something for all kinds of tastes.

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/2018/06/02/the-amazing-spider-man-800/

I really enjoyed that this was basically a long running battle, and that it never felt like it was dragging on. Not sure why they offed Flash, as it didn't feel to me like it added any emotional weight.

Red Goblin looked amazing. Talk about a villain that oozes menace and insanity.

What did everyone else like/dislike?

I love my symbiote Spider-Man and wish he would stay longer. :cwink:
It was a nice issue indeed!

The entire issue, and arc has been crap.

Can't wait for #802/#1

I love my symbiote Spider-Man and wish he would stay longer. :cwink:
It was a nice issue indeed!

I enjoyed Spidey in the Black suit. It's not something I want all the time, but is it ever nice to see once in a while!

yeah, #800 was pretty bad, typical Slott crap that I've come to expect... story, writer and issue are pretty forgettable... good riddance to it all...

I actually didn't hate it as much as I thought I would. I still didn't think it was very good either though.

I like the idea of Flash dying a hero's death, but the way it happened just came across as unsatisfying, especially since we didn't see the reactions of the other members of the supporting cast. It just didn't have the emotional impact it should've had, or at least it didn't feel that way to me.

I'm really hoping that the events of this issue lead to Aunt May relearning Peter's secret, and I really don't see how she couldn't know after all this.

One thing that really surprised me though was that MJ didn't really get crapped on like I thought she would, but then again nothing big really happened for her character either. I still don't really like her anymore at this point, and I still think she's going to remain over in Iron Man's world.

It also didn't really seem to me like getting the symbiote back again really made much of a difference or really gave spidey much of an advantage.

One thing I do like and am looking forward to more of is the new relationship between Peter and Jonah. I find this very interesting and I think it has lots of potential. In fact, I'm honestly more interested in it now than I ever was in the now toxic and irritating relationship between Peter and MJ. I'm actually hoping that maybe Jonah and May can be Peter's new confidants.

But anyway, here's to hoping that Spencer does a better job when he takes over.

Last edited:
Sorry guys. I really enjoyed it. And I don't even like Carnage. I thought it was good cap on Slott's run and was good to see the artists who were involved in the run take turns for the different chapters.

I got the Nick Bradshaw variant... signed..
Will read it this week. :yay:

Aloha,
It was a good story, not a great one but I also look forward to seeing how the relationship between Jonah and Peter develops.
Aunt May must know Peter's secret after these events.
Also, Doc Ock in a new body and new name is intriguing going forward.
I'm thrilled that Slott's run is coming to a close, just so I can hear new thoughts and criticisms. Ten years was way too long for any one writer. Spidey readers are some of the most critical (and Intelligent:cwink:))out there. You can't feed them just anything and think it will fly. #801 and then Slott is done. Here's to a Brand New Day (yeah I went there:sly:)

Spidey rules

Okay, I didn't hate 800. I think 801 will be better. Slott does better when teamed with Martin for the one-off emotional issues. Either way, Ryan Ottley will be the draw for me to buy the new #1. Spencer is VERY hit and miss for me.
Art was good in this issue. Really wish they would give Bradshaw more Spidey work. His run on "Spidey" was great...and far too short.

Hey, first time on the forum...So, spoilers here - #800 is definitly something to have on collection but Norman's Whitney Houston moment ruined the issue for me....and also...in a #800 historic issue...why not make the black suit as the classic one? what's the deal with grandma cat-eye sunglasses?

Hey, first time on the forum...So, spoilers here - #800 is definitly something to have on collection but Norman's Whitney Houston moment ruined the issue for me....and also...in a #800 historic issue...why not make the black suit as the classic one? what's the deal with grandma cat-eye sunglasses?

Aloha,
Welcome to the Hype. Always glad to get new blood into the mix.Yes #800 is a collector's item.I would hope that they double number going forward.

Spidey rules

Welcome to the party, pal!

#801 was mediocre end to a less than mediocre run on Amazing Spider-Man. 10 years and not one redeemable thing outside of maybe Mr. Negative and a couple of one-shots and some alt universe stuff. Finally, Slott is gone. To quote the immortal Dr. King, "Free at last."

Here's hoping Spencer can bring us back to some good stories and good characterizations once again.

Here's hoping Spencer can bring us back to some good stories and good characterizations once again.

The same Nick Spencer that gave us the FCBD issue where Spider-Man let a villain get away because Kingpin sassed him? That gave us Boomerang as a roommate to Peter Parker? :funny:

Yeah, I weep for Spider-Man in 2018 with exceptions made for Marvel's Spider-Man and Into The Spider-Verse.

Last edited:
Well now that Slott has finally made his long overdue exit from the book, I'm hoping it can go back to being great again. Not sure if Spencer is the right man to handle it, but we'll know soon enough I guess.

I really hope Peter becomes a more competent and confident hero once again and that Marvel can finally get past this ******** idea where he always has to be a pathetic and ineffectual loser in order to maintain his appeal.

I mentioned this before, but one thing I would really love to see happen would be for Jonah and Aunt May to become his new confidants from here on out. I've found myself really enjoying the new dynamic between Peter and Jonah, and I loved when Aunt May finally found out during the JMS run. Hopefully she's relearned the secret now after the events of issue 800, and I really don't see how she couldn't know at this point. But just think of the possibilities and how much fun it would be if they were both in on his secret at the same time and the interactions they could have as a result.

The same Nick Spencer that gave us the FCBD issue where Spider-Man let a villain get away because Kingpin sassed him? That gave us Boomerang as a roommate to Peter Parker? :funny:

Yeah, I weep for Spider-Man in 2018 with exceptions made for Marvel's Spider-Man and Into The Spider-Verse.

According to the solicits, the Boomerang thing will most likely be resolved by issue 6 or 7. And while Spencer still needs to win me over at least there's a chance things will get better for Spider-Man. With Slott there was no chance. I'm just glad we no longer have to endure his incompetent man child version of the character.

The thing I'm not happy about is the upcoming Spidergeddon event this fall. Cause that's exactly what we need, more events and more spider people gathering together :whatever:

That said, Cebulski gives me hope. His change of the wedding in X Men was about trying to please the fanbase. Something the previous regime cared little for. And with RYV coming to an end and Cebulski's comment about having big plans for MJ...again, I have some hope.

That said, Cebulski gives me hope. His change of the wedding in X Men was about trying to please the fanbase. Something the previous regime cared little for. And with RYV coming to an end and Cebulski's comment about having big plans for MJ...again, I have some hope.

I'm not really sure what he did with the x-men wedding to please the fans since I don't follow the x-titles anymore, so maybe you could fill me in on that? But aside from Cebulski, is the new regime really all that different from the previous one? Quesada and Brevoort (who are far worse than Alonso was) are still in power at Marvel, and they pretty much outrank Cebulski don't they?

As for MJ, yeah I heard that Cebulski supposedly said that Spencer has plans for her (not sure how true that actually is) but unless any of those plans include Peter growing a pair and calling her out on her unfair treatment of him or at least having her realize what a terrible friend she's been to him, then forget about it. I'm still pissed about that rushed and out of nowhere "reconciliation" they had in ASM # 796 and I certainly don't need to see anymore bulls#!t like that again. If I had to chose between that and having her go back to supporting character limbo for the indefinite future, I'd chose the latter.

801 was a waste of time, moey and resources.
It was not an epilogue issue, it wasn't a falout issue, it was a non issue that barely featured Spider-Man, with a new character we'd never seen before and will never see again taking up the entire issue.
That and the forced PC crap shoved in for no reason. Sure it was one box, but man, this **** has to stop.
3% of the population but in 100% of all media is ridiculous.

Aloha,
Onward to volume 5 of the never-ending saga of Peter Parker The Amazing Spider-Man-World's Greatest Super Hero!
SPIDEY RULES
:susd:

I'm not really sure what he did with the x-men wedding to please the fans since I don't follow the x-titles anymore, so maybe you could fill me in on that? But aside from Cebulski, is the new regime really all that different from the previous one? Quesada and Brevoort (who are far worse than Alonso was) are still in power at Marvel, and they pretty much outrank Cebulski don't they?

He changed the "Wedding of the Year" from Colossus and Kitty to Rogue and Gambit.

Quesada does not out rank Cebulski. He may have power in Marvel but not over CB and the comics division.

He changed the "Wedding of the Year" from Colossus and Kitty to Rogue and Gambit.

Quesada does not out rank Cebulski. He may have power in Marvel but not over CB and the comics division.

I'm not sure I understand. Why would Gambit and rogue tying the knot appease fans more than Colossus and kitty pryde?

And what about Brevoort? And I thought I heard that Quesada still has to give his stamp of approval on everything.

801 was a waste of time, moey and resources.
It was not an epilogue issue, it wasn't a falout issue, it was a non issue that barely featured Spider-Man, with a new character we'd never seen before and will never see again taking up the entire issue.
That and the forced PC crap shoved in for no reason. Sure it was one box, but man, this **** has to stop.
3% of the population but in 100% of all media is ridiculous.
Christ that box you're referring to was so minor. The fact that you're getting so worked up about it is kinda ridiculous.

According to the solicits, the Boomerang thing will most likely be resolved by issue 6 or 7. And while Spencer still needs to win me over at least there's a chance things will get better for Spider-Man. With Slott there was no chance. I'm just glad we no longer have to endure his incompetent man child version of the character.

The thing I'm not happy about is the upcoming Spidergeddon event this fall. Cause that's exactly what we need, more events and more spider people gathering together :whatever:

Wait, Renew Your Vows is ending?! See...this is why I no longer care to have a pull list anywhere.

I'll read ASM for a bit, if for no other reason than Ottley's artwork, but aside from that and the new Venom series (which I am loving), I'm becoming more about back issues lately.

grumble grumble cancelling Renew Your Vows grumble grumble

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"