Amazon's Rings of Power - General Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

If I’m being honest, I don’t think any of the Jurassic Park films are that great. The first one is a good movie, but it’s a crappy adaptation of an exceptional novel. And I’m not just talking about removing all the fractal curve stuff and all that. I’m talking about completely changing the personalities of most of the characters and then killing off half the people that were supposed to survive and vice versa. It’s still vastly superior to the other films but I have a lot of issues with it.

So after all that the TV series will shoot in New Zealand?

Am I the only one who thought Fallen Kingdom was fine? Hell, I probably like it better than the first JW.

I really liked Fallen Kingdom.

Was much more entertaining to me than JW.

Bayona's not someone I would've selected but he's a good enough choice, I suppose. Hutchison's involvement is much more encouraging.

Casting's bound to happen in the next three to four months, right?

Bayona's not someone I would've selected but he's a good enough choice, I suppose. Hutchison's involvement is much more encouraging.

Casting's bound to happen in the next three to four months, right?

Yeah it will have to. I wonder if they’ll pursue any big names for this. The films didn’t have any huge names at the time, though Cate Blanchett’s star was clearly on the rise and Ian McKellan, Elijah Wood, Sean Bean and others were pretty well known. But it didn’t have any huge names like a Tom Cruise or Sean Connery (the latter was the entire internet’s pick for Gandalf). I expect them to go a similar route with this, though it’s possible they could do a Game of Thrones and have an almost totally unknown cast outside of a few people.

Kinda eh on the Bayona thing, having not particularly liked or disliked the previous work of his that I've seen. Having success in film directing doesn't always equate to the same in directing television in any event. And vice versa as evidenced so well by Alan Taylor's track record. As long as Bayona (and everyone else involved) respects the source material then I'm more than willing to give him a chance.

Also, I'd much rather this show cast actors that fit the roles rather than cast big name stars just for the sake of it, although I still harbor a hope that if the show is indeed set in the same continuity as the Jackson films (which the news about them filming in New Zealand again may support, what happened to filming in Scotland?), they bring Cate Blanchett and Hugo Weaving back as special guest stars to play Galadriel and Elrond again. They're the only two characters from the Jackson films that were around during the Second Age and if the show will feature the forging of the Rings of Power at some point (which the official twitter account quoting the famous rhyme in its posts seems to support) then they will play a role in that story, Galadriel especially.

To your point, @Finarfiniel , about the difference between directing film and TV - Bayona has directed episodes of Penny Dreadful, so he is not completely without experience in that regard. Is Hutchison’s involvement encouraging to you? She worked on Breaking Bad.

To your point, @Finarfiniel , about the difference between directing film and TV - Bayona has directed episodes of Penny Dreadful, so he is not completely without experience in that regard. Is Hutchison’s involvement encouraging to you? She worked on Breaking Bad.

Having never seen an episode of Breaking Bad in my life (yeah yeah, so shoot me :oldrazz:), it's neither here nor there to me, but it's definitely encouraging to have writers from other successful, acclaimed shows on board, no doubt.

Is that 1.5 billion price tag an estimate for the first season or for the five that Amazon promised in the purchase? I would assume the latter.

I think Bayona doing the show isn't necessarily a bad thing. He's not directing the entire series.

But the pilot's director establishes the visual style for the entire series. At the very least he'll lay the ground rules for the how the show is shot and edited, and he may even have a hand in casting and the design of the production itself. If Bayona makes any bad calls or missteps they're basically stuck with it.

I'm honestly more concerned of the showrunners when it comes to a show. I don't really expect a director to have a similar input. So I'm more or less indifferent to the choice.

Having never seen an episode of Breaking Bad in my life (yeah yeah, so shoot me :oldrazz:),

Haha, neither have I!

giphy.gif

But the pilot's director establishes the visual style for the entire series. At the very least he'll lay the ground rules for the how the show is shot and edited, and he may even have a hand in casting and the design of the production itself. If Bayona makes any bad calls or missteps they're basically stuck with it.

I don't think he's that bad of a director from a visual standpoint. I think he can handle those aspects.

Can't say too much on Bayona. I've only seen Fallen Kingdom from him (unfortunately). He seems to have a decent eye for visuals but certainly didn't elevate an awful script. My main hope is that for all the money thrown at this series, they are being insanely meticulous with the writing. So, so much potential in Tolkein's second age, but also a lot of original material required.

Not officially, but it seems likely that it will be about the forging of the Rings of Power, Sauron’s rise, the fall of Numenor, and the war of the Last Alliance.
That would be great.

Having never seen an episode of Breaking Bad in my life (yeah yeah, so shoot me :oldrazz:), it's neither here nor there to me, but it's definitely encouraging to have writers from other successful, acclaimed shows on board, no doubt.

Haha, neither have I!

You know I love you both but please, do yourselves a favor and binge watch Breaking Bad as soon as possible. I promise, you won’t regret it. Unlike Game of Thrones, the writing stays consistently great from start to finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"