Americans Becoming Skeptical of Holocaust

I'm not gonna get into it outside of the politics forum, but it's the world we live in.

One-third of Americans don't believe 6 million Jews were murdered during the Holocaust

How can we have failed in something so basic in our educational requirements? This is a post mortum victory for the Nazis.
How have we failed.....by not teaching it. As a kid, I remember watching films and talking about what the Nazis had done in WWII in most of my years in school. My daughter is in the 6th grade and they haven't talked about it once (I've told her about this and other things not talked about in school). If kids are not taught that there was a holocaust then of course as an adult they won't believe it.

That’s both scary and disheartening. I was learning about the Holocaust and reading Anne Frank’s diary in class by the fourth grade.

Yup, I read Number the Stars in 4th grade. If schools wont teach history, then it is up to the parents.
So we're screwed.

How have we failed.....by not teaching it. As a kid, I remember watching films and talking about what the Nazis had done in WWII in most of my years in school. My daughter is in the 6th grade and they haven't talked about it once (I've told her about this and other things not talked about in school). If kids are not taught that there was a holocaust then of course as an adult they won't believe it.

Agreed. Also, the current climate is making it more and more in vogue to wear your literal ignorance as a badge of honor--as if knowing better is a kind of high mindedness that should be avoided in order to keep you grounded and more of a common man.

That being said, it is worth considering the fact that they surveyed 1350 adults in the U.S. Realistically, that is nowhere even near being a large enough sample size to give you usable data in the way that they want to use it. The U.S. has over 200,000,000 adults, roughly. So to say that a 1/3 of all American adults are skeptical of the Holocaust is an over-reach based on a ridiculously small sample size.

I would be curious to see this survey framed to a much larger amount of people--if possible/practical. See how the results shake out then. But then again, maybe I really wouldn't want to know.

Regardless...1/3 of 1350 people is still WAY too large of a percentage to just brush them off as outliers. It makes me sick and it is unacceptable.

I assume it doesn't matter that this article is from last April, right? Not to take anything away from it- just that it's not a fairly recent article.

One-third of Americans don't believe 6 million Jews were murdered during the Holocaust

How can we have failed in something so basic in our educational requirements? This is a post mortum victory for the Nazis.

As some have already mentioned, the schools apparently aren't teaching it. Just like a lot of colleges leaning in a certain direction apparently aren't teaching the younger generation about how bad certain ant-capitalism structures are. It's messed up and a bit scary when I see quite a few younger millennials online jumping on the Communism and believe it or not Marxism bandwagon.

I mean, it hand in hand with the various other things that you see getting more popular and/or more emboldened.

As some have already mentioned, the schools apparently aren't teaching it. Just like a lot of colleges leaning in a certain direction apparently aren't teaching the younger generation about how bad certain ant-capitalism structures are. It's messed up and a bit scary when I see quite a few younger millennials online jumping on the Communism and believe it or not Marxism bandwagon.

Yeah, that isn't exactly down to history education. Coming of age in the past decade is enough to sour anyone on pure capitalism.

Yeah, that isn't exactly down to history education. Coming of age in the past decade is enough to sour anyone on pure capitalism.

Yeah but Communism and Marxism are terrible systems and I don't think a lot of those fools are being taught about why those are bad systems that keep the people down and worse. Some people have recorded lectures at some colleges (like Berkely, no surprise there) and some are actually teaching that those structures are actually good. So much ignorance out there. Just look at my Avy at the fools up here in Portland OR. It's hilarious because Antifa ignorantly calls anyone who disagrees a "facist" yet that's entirely what they are.

Some schools probably arent teaching it because it is so horrific and uncomfortable. Cant have the kiddies getting uncomfortable. They want to sugarcoat history. Like some textbooks acting like slaves were just workers.

Yep. A decade ago I was all for capitalism. These days I'm pretty ****ing sick of the free market and american capitalism. It's a wild west **** show of corporations trying to one up each other to be the greediest POS in business.

I didn't go to college. My feelings towards capitalism were entirely shaped by witnessing the actions of unregulated corporations and businesses.

Some schools probably arent teaching it because it is so horrific and uncomfortable. Cant have the kiddies getting uncomfortable. They want to sugarcoat history. Like some textbooks acting like slaves were just workers.

everyone's a winner!

I went to a public Midwestern university, so I dont know if that counts as liberal or not. Seems like we had a lot of people of all opinions. Anyway, one of my first classes was partly about Holocaust denial. It was an interesting class but sad that it had to be taught.

One of the consequences of the ways we’ve been dumbed down as a society for decades.

I wouldn't be surprised if that one third watched a channel that rhymes with Box Dooz.

Excuse you good sir. "Involuntary immigrants".

Denial of the Holocaust is one thing. But, I for one, am a bit more concerned about Americans not learning about our own many, many, MANY atrocities. I mean, it took an HBO comic book show to really shine the line on a massacre, that had previously only been referred to as a riot in many history books. If it was even in there.

Nobody wants to feel guilty about something "I had nothing to do with." That would basically be like me dismissing the Me Too movement even though I don't feel I've ever done anything remotely like that to women.

On second thought, we do that.

I assume it doesn't matter that this article is from last April, right? Not to take anything away from it- just that it's not a fairly recent article.
So, you think that in the last 8 months everyone changed their minds and now whole heartedly believe it happened?

Yeah but Communism and Marxism are terrible systems and I don't think a lot of those fools are being taught about why those are bad systems that keep the people down and worse. Some people have recorded lectures at some colleges (like Berkely, no surprise there) and some are actually teaching that those structures are actually good. So much ignorance out there. Just look at my Avy at the fools up here in Portland OR. It's hilarious because Antifa ignorantly calls anyone who disagrees a "facist" yet that's entirely what they are.

Do you have the links to these recordings? I'd like to hear for myself if they're actually as horrible as you're making it out to be.

I mean, just look at how the Civil War is treated.

Ignoring history doesn’t make it go away.

We’ve gotten to the point where it’s “offensive“ to teach about terrible historical events :loco:

If that's in regards to my post, I meant that they are teaching those as a positive. It's good to teach about all of that but not push garbage systems on to people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"