Iron Man Sequels An idea for Whiplash II...

kaijunexus

Marvel Cinematic Universe
Reaction score
Mark Scarlotti is a career criminal and gifted electrical technician who often pairs up with friend and partner-in-crime, Rusty. Though Rusty believes he and Mark are truly friends, Mark actually just uses the gullible and naive Rusty for his expertise in computer hacking and infiltration, which enables the two to rob high-security banks and institutions.

Mark has stepped on a lot of toes in pulling off these large jobs, however. Some of those toes are big. Mafia big. The Maggia crime family want him dead, but want it done discreetly and without getting their hands dirty. The Maggia blackmails Rusty into purposefully blowing one of he and Mark's jobs by threatening to kill a girl Rusty believes to be his girlfriend, but is truly hardly even an acquaintance.

Rusty apprehensively sabotages the job in order to get Mark caught and thrown in jail so that the incarcerated "little toes" he has stepped on will take care of him for the Maggia.

Mark, knowing Rusty betrayed him, breaks out of jail before anyone has a chance to try and take his life...but not before seeing a news broadcast about the incarceration of Justin Hammer and the liquidation of Hammer Industries. Mark has an idea.

Rusty is terrified to hear that Mark is on the loose and is soon even more horrified to see that he has broken into his apartment and is standing in front of him. Mark, however, has no intention of killing Rusty yet. He explains that all is forgiven and he wants to pull off another job with Rusty.

Arriving at a Hammer Industries warehouse, Rusty breaks into the security system and the two enter the large building to find hundreds of large, high-tech storage crates. Rusty begins opening them one-by-one as Mark examines the contents. He is elated to find all manner of high-tech weaponry and is about to use some to slaughter Rusty when he hears his partner exclaim "my god!".

Curious, Mark moves over to the crate that Rusty has opened only to find a proto-type Whiplash suit much like the one Vanko wore at the Monaco racetrack, but more heavily armored. Mark tinkers with it for a moment only to find that it is fully operational. He gleefully dons the suit and cuts off an end of one of the still-locked containers, spilling weapons onto the floor.

Laughing, Rusty muses "I guess you don't need me to break into stuff anymore!"

"Guess not" says Mark, quite simply...as he cuts Rusty in half.

ipy25o6l.jpg

I wouldn't mind seeing Whiplash II as part of a rogue's gallery of hunters (a la Empire Strikes Back) who go after Iron Man in a future movie. No need for an elabourate backstory, just put him in with guys like The Beetle, Crimson Dynamo, the Mauler etc. in kind of an Armor Wars situation.

The backstory is great and all but the biggest question that will be asked that you don't answer is...

WHY?

The backstory is great and all but the biggest question that will be asked that you don't answer is...

WHY?

Several reasons...

1. Iron Man 2 killed off a villain (albeit a minor one) that could be used in future films/tv series, even if just as a part of a larger group of villains. Why kill a character off for good when you just introduced them?

2. The moniker of "Whiplash" has been used by several different people in the comics. Why not embrace that tradition in the MCU?

3. Many would argue that Ivan Vanko was hardly even a very good representation of the character. He was more of a bizarre amalgamation of the Crimson Dynamo and Whiplash. Why not give the character another shot with a more comic-faithful representation?

Several reasons...

1. Iron Man 2 killed off a villain (albeit a minor one) that could be used in future films/tv series, even if just as a part of a larger group of villains. Why kill a character off for good when you just introduced them?

Because that's what happens in movies. Besides, he isn't really killed off if you're bringing him back. It's not like Iron Man is running out of villains to beat up.

2. The moniker of "Whiplash" has been used by several different people in the comics. Why not embrace that tradition in the MCU?

Because you don't have to. If the character was not very compelling the first time around, bringing him back won't fix that problem.

3. Many would argue that Ivan Vanko was hardly even a very good representation of the character. He was more of a bizarre amalgamation of the Crimson Dynamo and Whiplash. Why not give the character another shot with a more comic-faithful representation?

Because most people don't know better. Besides, Whiplash is not a very good villain. He is extremely limited in what he can do. Just watch IM2's final fight, all he does is stand there between Tony and Rhodey using his whips. The whips are a cool idea but he's boring as a fighter when matched against Iron Man.

Tell me how we can stay faithful to Whiplash's character and make him a better fighter and you might be on to something. All you have done is introduce the same character, with the same limitations, with a different backstory. The character in the suit actually has less substance to his character than Vanko did making him even more boring than Vanko was.

Ultimately the question is, what is the compelling reason to bring back this character rather than introducing a new one?

Note: I'm not trying to tear you down, in fact I love reading ideas like yours. You certainly have a workable starting point, but I think you need a better villain. In fact, your antagonist could almost be viewed as an anti-hero going up against the Maggia.

I wouldn't mind seeing Whiplash II as part of a rogue's gallery of hunters (a la Empire Strikes Back) who go after Iron Man in a future movie. No need for an elabourate backstory, just put him in with guys like The Beetle, Crimson Dynamo, the Mauler etc. in kind of an Armor Wars situation.

This. If there's a new Whiplash, I think he can be one of a trio (or more) of villains that Hammer employs to take out Iron Man. We don't need origins for them. Hammer can simply say he didn't want Vanko's technology to go to waste.

I think they were originally considering there to be several villains in IM2 but reduced it to just Whiplash.

Iron Man may have taken on a bunch of drones in IM2, but I don't think we've seen one superhero take on a bunch of costumed villains in a film before. Maybe Superman 2.

My concern with the IM movies is they seem to be shying away from costumed bad guys. Their approach is almost too "realistic."

What if one of the crates he slices open contains a couple of harnesses. One that generates extreme heat and the other extreme cold. Whiplash, Melter, and Blizzard. No heavy armor for Whiplash maybe give him the name Backlash along with the other weapons he had

I like the idea of someone doing that in a film, you see it in comics all the time, somebody picking up the reigns of a fallen villain and using their name to start their own career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"