• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anderson, Hoffman Reteaming on Master

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=61354
Source:Variety
December 3, 2009

There Will Be Blood writer/director Paul Thomas Anderson will next helm a Universal Pictures period drama to star Philip Seymour Hoffman as a founder of a new religious organization in the 1950s, says Variety.

Hoffman would play "the Master," as in "master of ceremonies," a charismatic intellectual who hatches a faith-based organization that begins to catch on in America in 1952. The core is the relationship between the Master and Freddie, a twentysomething drifter who becomes the leader's lieutenant. As the faith begins to gain a fervent following, Freddie finds himself questioning the belief system he has embraced, and his mentor.

Hoffman made his breakthrough in the cast of Anderson's Boogie Nights and has also appeared in the Anderson-directed Hard Eight, Punch-Drunk Love and Magnolia.

That drifter role is gonna be highly sought after by every young actor in Hollywood.

This sounds pretty goddamn interesting and intriguing. Can't wait. There Will Be Blood is among the best 3 of this decade, so I'll watch anything PT Anderson makes.

A new Paul Thomas Anderson movie is always a good thing. The guy is in only a hand full of directors that I will see every movie from.

The plot sounds abit like the birth of Scientology.

Long live...PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON AND PHILLIP SEYMORE HOFFMAN.

Two men....six names all together.

PTA doing something new = mind explosions

:awesome:

So I guess most of you have read that this thing has been indefinitely postponed....It's not sure whether it's a creative problem or something financial. Renner mentioned that PTA kept ''coming up against a wall'' during rehearsals.

So, after reading this news I went and read an old script review. I should never have done that because this sounds way too amazing to be postponed like this...:(

Holy **** Anderson is doing Pynchon! Double great news, look forward to both of them.

I'd be happy if this project manage to have finance so it may start up again. Always looking forward to something new from Anderson.

Renner is out, so it seems. As long as Hoffman stays on I'm happy though.

Having read about Master, before I realised it's links to Scientology, I immediately thought that it would be good to see Anderson reunite with Cruise as "the master" after his charismatic performance in Magnolia. That's obviously never going to happen though. Hopefully Hoffman stays on board.

Oh hai one page from The Master's script.

master-page.jpg

Glad he's finally making a new movie. Sounds pretty interesting.

So this is actually happening now? Thank God.

http://www.xenu.net/

Good site for more information about the abusive cult of scientology, which these movie seems to be implying.

Although it would be great if John Travolta signed on to play the master. He looks more and more like the cult founder L Ron Hubbard as he gets older. Just throw a red wig on him and give him bad teeth and you got it. Of course Travolta would never do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"