Angela Bassett in Green Lantern but turns down Storm?

jaymes_e06

Avenger
Reaction score
Not to beat a dead horse or anything but since I was a boy and when I pictured actors playing the roles of my favorite x-Men I always thought

Patrick Stewart as Professor X
Tom Cruise as Cyclops
Sean Connery as Magneto
And
Angela Bassett as Storm

Now only one of my dream cast actually made it in the films but when I found out that Angela was actually approached for the role I was kind of sad she didn't take it. However I thought Halle did an okay job I always pictured AB nailing the lines Halle kind of struggled with. But I just assumed AB didn't want to ever do a "superhero movie" because of the kiddish conotations but this year when I seen her as a scientist in the GL film trailer it left me scratching my head in confusion. Why would she choose some random scientist in a superhero film but not arguably the most famous black superheroine ever?
317cw10.jpg

Last edited:
Well maybe they offered her more money on GL and she wants or needs the money right now.

Well maybe they offered her more money on GL and she wants or needs the money right now.
I guess that's possible but at the same time it seems so out of character for her to do a role for money. Like she went like ten years without doing major movies unless she felt invested in them something most really be going on in her life if she feels the need to downgrade herself in that way.

Comic book movies are pretty much a sure thing now. How is it a downgrade? Or is this fan bias?

What is the point of this thread?
She was offered the part of Storm but had to turn it down due to scheduling conflict. Eleven years later, she was offered a small part in Green Lantern and took it. So what? I don't understand. What is your point?
:huh::huh::huh:

Comic book movies are pretty much a sure thing now. How is it a downgrade? Or is this fan bias?
It is a downgrade compared to Storm. :oldrazz:
What is the point of this thread?
She was offered the part of Storm but had to turn it down due to scheduling conflict. Eleven years later, she was offered a small part in Green Lantern and took it. So what? I don't understand. What is your point?
:huh::huh::huh:
No she didn't she turned down the role of Storm because she didn't think Storm was a strong enough character hence why it was strange she would do a film where she was second tier character in the GL film. Where the hell did you hear it was for scheduling conflicts?:huh:

Maybe at the time Halle Barry got the role Comic Book movies were not as widely recognized and respected, and it was not considered a sure thing in terms of box office success, as it is now.

As for GL, it is a big budget movie and if it becomes a success, it will get sequels, and the fact that Amanda Waller is not a scientist but a head of secret gov. organization in DC Universe similar to what Nick Fury is in Marvel Universe and I am sure if DC wants to form a shared DCU, she will appear in Flash movie, a WW movie and JLA movie (if these actually happen.)

If I read Storm's role in X1's script, I wouldn't have considered it a strong enough character either.

Last edited:
Maybe at the time Halle Barry got the role Comic Book movies were not as widely recognized and respected, and it was not considered a sure thing in terms of box office success, as it is now.

Yeah, it should be remembered that at that time the latest superhero movie in people's minds was Batman & Robin.

^That's true I guess. I just wish she could have seen the potential in her role and demanded she get rewritten to be a stronger character and then she would do it because she would have been amazing as Storm.

Imagining Tom Cruise as Cyclops makes me laugh, especially standing next to Hugh Jackman's Wolverine.

^That's true I guess. I just wish she could have seen the potential in her role and demanded she get rewritten to be a stronger character and then she would do it because she would have been amazing as Storm.

I agree, she would have been far, far better as Storm than Halle Berry. It's a shame it never happened.

Eh Halle's overrated. Only reason she won the Oscar for the sex scene. But damn that was a great sex scene.

Halle Berry is the better actress and she is more popular.

The first is debatable as both have been nominated for Oscars, but popularity shouldn't matter for anything. There's a lot of popular actors who can't actually act.

I think by the time of X1 she would have been a great Storm...

but I think she looks a bit old right now... at least not as sexy as Halle...

but her presence with the costume could be really impressive, who knows...

It is a downgrade compared to Storm. :oldrazz:

So fan bias. That's fine. As far as I'm concerned Amanda Waller is a far better character than Storm is.

Being a better actress is debatable, but really, talking name power only here, Bassett was more popular than Halle before X-Men. Look at Halle's career. Seems to me that it took a turn around 2000. Funny how that coincides with X-Men.

Agreed, although people also started taking more notice of Berry as an actress in early 2000, thanks to her award winning work in 1999's Introducing Dorothy Dandridge, but there's no doubt that a blockbuster like X-Men helped. It might also be fair to say, her career's taken a bit of a downturn since her involvement in the X-films ended.

If I read Storm's role in X1's script, I wouldn't have considered it a strong enough character either.
This

I still to this day find it shocking that a movie about bigotry so underwrote the only popular black female superhero.

^Yeah I feel she was one of the weakest links of the series not because Halle didnt play her right (although that God awful accent was just a mistake) but because it was written so horribly. From my recolection Bryan didn't even like her character but was pressured by Fox to include her.

What?! How can you not like Storm?

Popularity is irrelevant and while Berry is an exceptional actress, Angela Bassett acts circles around her.

Eh Halle's overrated. Only reason she won the Oscar for the sex scene. But damn that was a great sex scene.

That makes absolutely no sense.

I believe Singer said he didn't know what to do with her, not that he didn't like her, which is understandable. Storm doesn't exactly have a plethora of great storylines, which is probably why other adaptations, such as The Animated Series and X-Men Evolution, made up long lost relatives of hers, just to give Storm something more to do.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"