Animated Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen Two-Parter coming 2018/2019

Just got back from the one-day cinematic release of the two-parter. Having seen Part 1 on small screen, it was lovely to see it play out on big screen, the animated universe on the big screen, it was glorious and whilst the emotion was as real as ever, the 2nd part (which was first watch) was on another level of emotion for me. No spoilers for those unfamiliar with the arc, but for a 12A both parts pushed that certificate for me, particularly part 2 and deservedly so for telling that particular story.

Just a glorious evening, 9/10 and will buy Part 2 as soon as I can. :super:

I just got back from seeing the double feature I freaking loved it. Seen Death of Superman many times and while that’s the better of the two films, Reign of the Supermen is a terrific continuation of that story.

I won’t go into spoilers but I will say Superboy stole the film for me.

As it stands I would say this Death and Return of arc is the best version of that story we have gotten.

Seeing Superman on the big screen was great.

Death of Superman 9.5/10
Reign of the Supermen 8.5/10

PS. Make sure you watch til the end of the credits.

I just got back from seeing the double feature I freaking loved it. Seen Death of Superman many times and while that’s the better of the two films, Reign of the Supermen is a terrific continuation of that story.

I won’t go into spoilers but I will say Superboy stole the film for me.

As it stands I would say this Death and Return of arc is the best version of that story we have gotten.

Seeing Superman on the big screen was great.

Death of Superman 9.5/10
Reign of the Supermen 8.5/10

PS. Make sure you watch til the end of the credits.

:super::highfive:

Re : Cyborg S, agreed, everything played out so well in the second part. Every new variant got their time to shine.

Re : Cyborg S, agreed, everything played out so well in the second part. Every new variant got their time to shine.

I can’t wait to get this on Blu Ray so I can watch it again and see the extras.

In my showing Reign started with no sound so had to go complain and they sorted it but we saw the first 5-7 mins with no sound before they fixed it and we watched from the beginning again lol

I can’t wait to get this on Blu Ray so I can watch it again and see the extras.

In my showing Reign started with no sound so had to go complain and they sorted it but we saw the first 5-7 mins with no sound before they fixed it and we watched from the beginning again lol

Lex strikes again.

Great conclusion to Death of Superman.

There are a few liberties taken to the source material, but overall I liked the direction taken and the ties to this larger DC Animated film universe. It’ll be interesting to see if/ Superboy and Robin cross paths.

Some additional notes, tagged in case of spoilers:
1. All the Supermen versions had great moments to shine, though Eradicator got the least development. Cyborg Superman turned out to be a great villain

2. Not a fan of Tony Todd’s Darkseid. A little over-the-top for my taste. Same with Wilson’s Lex.

3. Classic Superman costume!

4. I wonder if Hush will be the next film in this continuity, or when we’ll get a resolution to that end-credits scene.

Just got out of my double feature and it was a real good time. I think part 1 was better than part 2 but it was still a good conclusion. It was nice watching it with a nerd crowd that was real into it and cheering at all the big moments.

Funny tidbit: My screening actually cut off in the freaking climax of the film and we all had to watch a loading screen with hokey 60’s jazz music playing for what felt like forever while they fixed the movie.

4. I wonder if Hush will be the next film in this continuity, or when we’ll get a resolution to that end-credits scene.

I was told it was. Its not something new that they haven't done. After Throne of Atlantis, it ended with Lex proposing an offer to Orm; we didn't get that resolved until 4 movies later with JL vs Teen Titans, and Orm wasn't in it, but what that proposal was resolved. So in between JL: TOA & JLvsTT, we got 2 in canon films (Batman vs Robin & Batman: Bad Blood) and one Elseworlds film (Gods and Monsters). I've wondered what the other film from the 4 DCUA films for 2020 were going to be, after it was revealed that Long Halloween is going to be a 2 parter, and then we're going to be Red Son. So the resolution to this film's end credits would have to be the last film for that list.

Speaking of that post credits scene...
I think we all know what’s coming next: DARKSEID WAR!

On the one hand i think its kinda cool how these movies are their own ongoing continuity...on the other I feel that they could be doing more creative things with these animated movies.

I was told it was. Its not something new that they haven't done. After Throne of Atlantis, it ended with Lex proposing an offer to Orm; we didn't get that resolved until 4 movies later with JL vs Teen Titans, and Orm wasn't in it, but what that proposal was resolved. So in between JL: TOA & JLvsTT, we got 2 in canon films (Batman vs Robin & Batman: Bad Blood) and one Elseworlds film (Gods and Monsters). I've wondered what the other film from the 4 DCUA films for 2020 were going to be, after it was revealed that Long Halloween is going to be a 2 parter, and then we're going to be Red Son. So the resolution to this film's end credits would have to be the last film for that list.

Speaking of that post credits scene...
I think we all know what’s coming next: DARKSEID WAR!

I was so disappointed when they concluded that LOD vs JL in an opening segment of a TT vs JL film. I wanted to see a full film of the league taking on the LOD.

Anyway back to Reign

I said to my mate it would be Darkseid War. I imagine that they’ll do that next year which would bring the total to 4 again next year with Red Son, the Long Halloween and Darkseid War.

I lost my shirt though when I saw the yellow S on the back of the cape. I loved that! I knew they’d update his costume after he returned from the dead and it was miles better. Feel like this would work in live action too.

Watched it this morning, really enjoyed it!

And earlier I watched the previous film

Also, anyone cachc the reporter with the name Sullivan at The Daily Planet? She was a short haired brunette with glasses. I couldn't help but squeal, is Chloe Sullivan coming into the DC animated world? I'm still furious with everything Alison Mack did offscreen but Chloe will always be my favorite character from smallville and I'd love to see her brought into the animated world.

Also, anyone cachc the reporter with the name Sullivan at The Daily Planet? She was a short haired brunette with glasses. I couldn't help but squeal, is Chloe Sullivan coming into the DC animated world? I'm still furious with everything Alison Mack did offscreen but Chloe will always be my favorite character from smallville and I'd love to see her brought into the animated world.

Yeah I caught that I think it was just an Easter Egg for the fans

How was the Eradicator's role in this? He was always my favorite of the Supermen.

I may be in the minority - but this just whelmed me. I wasn't overly impressed, and it wasn't as epic as I had thought it could have been.

I still feel one thing no superman film (where he dies) has done a good job of is showing the emotional impact.

Yes they have scenes of it, but frankly put I haven't cared about this Lois given this is iirc the first real movie shes in or having bit parts in other films hasnt really added to her character.

Tony Todd definitely isnt as good as Andrew Braugher, which was kind of a downer.

First DC film i'd give it a 7/10. There's enough to love about it, but not enough to have this in the top 10 DCTV animated films (imo)

Question: where can you watch it digitally?

I may be in the minority - but this just whelmed me. I wasn't overly impressed, and it wasn't as epic as I had thought it could have been.

I still feel one thing no superman film (where he dies) has done a good job of is showing the emotional impact.

Yes they have scenes of it, but frankly put I haven't cared about this Lois given this is iirc the first real movie shes in or having bit parts in other films hasnt really added to her character.

Tony Todd definitely isnt as good as Andrew Braugher, which was kind of a downer.

First DC film i'd give it a 7/10. There's enough to love about it, but not enough to have this in the top 10 DCTV animated films (imo)

Sorry it didn’t work for you, to me it seems it didn’t work for you because you couldn’t buy into these versions of the characters and their world. Which is fine but because I did it all worked for me. These moments you talk about been missing are actually there but because you couldn’t buy into this world it didn’t work for you.

Lois to me was the crux of both movies.

Andre Braugher is the worst Darkseid, I preferred Tony Todd.

To me this is THE best version we’ve seen of the Death & Return arc in any medium. Both films would crack the top ten for me although with them been joined together soon I’d probably rank them all as one film.

Is it not on iTunes or Amazon Prime?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"