The next slate of DC Animated Movies announced at SDCC 2018!

I wonder who will play Riddler

I thought Matthew Gray Gubler did a good job with what little he had in Assault on Arkham. I'd be okay seeing him have another go. Funnily enough I read Catwoman: When in Rome a little while back and I was hearing Riddler with Gubler's voice.

I wonder if Bloodlines might go on DC streaming as a tie in to WW1984.

I don't want that, its just a speculated what if.

I'm excited that they finally expanded to 4 a year. Sales must be consistent enough to warrant that then huh?

Well, yeah since 4 years ago. More Lego DC dtv's, Trapped in Time, Batman Unlimited, animated 60s Batman movies.

I agree with the sentiment that Hush should ideally be adapted straight in terms of going for Jim Lee's art style and character design rather than the current continuity.

Say what you will about the book itself, it's Jim Lee that really elevated those issues. You buy that book for the art, first and foremost.

To not treat Hush like Jay Oliva's The Dark Knight Returns or other stories like The Long Halloween where the art style is so distinct and synonymous with the story would be a disservice to any effort to adapt it to the screen, honestly.

I saw Death of Superman and loved it. Here's the thing guys: you're talking about the costumes, you're talking about canon, and you're not talking about the style. The style is perfect for this, and it is DC now. Not just the DTV, but the same guy who did the designs for these did so on Young Justice. But for DOS, they added some new things. When Superman and Doomsday start fighting, the style slightly alters to that of an awesome anime movie. And it was great.

I know Hush will use this animation style for the reasons I stated, and frankly, that shouldn't stop you all from watching it. If that really does, chances are you weren't going to see it anyway.

Just stop and enjoy.

The style sucks and it is cheap.

So Reign of Superman is definitely set in continuity with the other films, and JL vs FF likely is too, though I'd wager it's more of a Legion film than a JL film (ala JL vs TT). Hush will likely be set out of continuity, if the current trend of out of continuity Bat films is anything to go by. Jury is still out on Wonder Woman Bloodlines, but I'm excited that they finally expanded to 4 a year. Sales must be consistent enough to warrant that then huh?

Here are some sales figures:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Universe_Animated_Original_Movies#Sales_performance

Its still so funny that TheWB banned female DTVs even though WW still ended up doing so good .

I saw Death of Superman and loved it. Here's the thing guys: you're talking about the costumes, you're talking about canon, and you're not talking about the style. The style is perfect for this, and it is DC now. Not just the DTV, but the same guy who did the designs for these did so on Young Justice. But for DOS, they added some new things. When Superman and Doomsday start fighting, the style slightly alters to that of an awesome anime movie. And it was great.

I know Hush will use this animation style for the reasons I stated, and frankly, that shouldn't stop you all from watching it. If that really does, chances are you weren't going to see it anyway.

Just stop and enjoy.

Not reassuring...

I'm so happy DC is continuing to do these and increasing their output. These DTV's aren't always a hit but I love that they have these slightly older skewing animated movies that we can digest. Like the rest of you though, I think they're wasting their time on this New 52 continuity and wasting space. There's so much more they can be doing with these DTV's to utilize their full potential. More comic/graphic novel adaptions and let's start adapting some unused screenplays: Superman Lives, Justice League Mortal, maybe Zack Snyder and Terrio's original JL movie concept. Let's do more legacy continuations like Batman '66 did, lets do a Lynda Carter WW movie...A Tim Burton-esque Batman movie etc. There's so much more creative things they could be doing with these.

I'm so happy DC is continuing to do these and increasing their output. These DTV's aren't always a hit but I love that they have these slightly older skewing animated movies that we can digest. Like the rest of you though, I think they're wasting their time on this New 52 continuity and wasting space. There's so much more they can be doing with these DTV's to utilize their full potential. More comic/graphic novel adaptions and let's start adapting some unused screenplays: Superman Lives, Justice League Mortal, maybe Zack Snyder and Terrio's original JL movie concept. Let's do more legacy continuations like Batman '66 did, lets do a Lynda Carter WW movie...A Tim Burton-esque Batman movie etc. There's so much more creative things they could be doing with these.

I don't really care for the New 52 continuity in the animated movies either. It's not a TV series. One-shots do give a chance to explore a variety of stories, all self-contained. I like all these ideas for movies you're saying.

I guess if they're going to stay on the cheap then maintaining the same style can mean more efficiency with the animators etc. But the movies are suffering for it. I remember in the "old days" the movies were made with more care, were more events, and they even released these fancy maquettes/statues to go with them. I guess that started getting expensive and didn't feel worth it. But it's like they went the other extreme: generic.

The thing about it is that DC themselves have moved away from the New 52, thats now a thing of the past so why are they holding on to it? Again, there's so much more they can be doing with these movies, these things can really be an outlet to produce stuff that is not posssible to do in live action. People would go crazy over a Lynda Carter Wonder Woman DTV and I guarantee you the woman herself would be down to voice the character like Adam West and Ward did for the Batman '66 DTV's.

The thing about it is that DC themselves have moved away from the New 52, thats now a thing of the past so why are they holding on to it? Again, there's so much more they can be doing with these movies, these things can really be an outlet to produce stuff that is not posssible to do in live action. People would go crazy over a Lynda Carter Wonder Woman DTV and I guarantee you the woman herself would be down to voice the character like Adam West and Ward did for the Batman '66 DTV's.

Agreed.

There's so much potential for all sorts of things.

I mean what if they brought in Richard Donner to do his "Superman III"? I know he did a version in the comics, but that's the kind of material I think fans and audiences would go nuts for, even for purely out of curiosity.

Tim Burton's "Batman 3."

Lynda Carter "Wonder Woman" and John Wesley Shipp "Flash" (with Mark Hamill as the Trickster!)

If Christopher Nolan followed up "The Dark Knight Rises" whether either following John Blake or bringing Bruce Wayne back. I know THAT particular one will probably never happen, but again, the real point is that these would be the sorts of things people would really want, on top of adapting beloved stories...I for one would go crazy for an adaptation of "The Last Arkham" based on Norm Breyfogle's artwork and featuring Victor Zsasz. That would fit right in with the R-Rated push they've been doing.

What if animated projects is how you kept the continuity of "Gotham" going after the series ends for fans who would want that?

What if the platform was used to give people nostalgia and honor DC's past like with "Batman '66" but it's things like "Lois and Clark" or "Smallville."

Animate those unproduced scripts like someone else said..."Superman Lives," "Batman Triumphant", Wolfgang Peterson's "Justice League," Darren Aronofsky's "Batman: Year One".

I would flip out to see that stuff brought to some sort of life. I'm sure most would too. There's so much potential they're not tapping for these sorts of things.

Agreed.

I mean what if they brought in Richard Donner to do his "Superman III"? I know he did a version in the comics, but that's the kind of material I think fans and audiences would go nuts for, even for purely out of curiosity.

Tim Burton's "Batman 3."

Lynda Carter "Wonder Woman" and John Wesley Shipp "Flash" (with Mark Hamill as the Trickster!)

If Christopher Nolan followed up "The Dark Knight Rises" whether either following John Blake or bringing Bruce Wayne back. I know THAT particular one will probably never happen, but again, the real point is that these would be the sorts of things people would really want, on top of adapting beloved stories...I for one would go crazy for an adaptation of "The Last Arkham" based on Norm Breyfogle's artwork and featuring Victor Zsasz. That would fit right in with the R-Rated push they've been doing.

What if animated projects is how you kept the continuity of "Gotham" going after the series ends for fans who would want that?

What if the platform was used to give people nostalgia and honor DC's past like with "Batman '66" but it's things like "Lois and Clark" or "Smallville."

Animate those unproduced scripts like someone else said..."Superman Lives," "Batman Triumphant", Wolfgang Peterson's "Justice League," Darren Aronofsky's "Batman: Year One".

I would flip out to see that stuff brought to some sort of life. I'm sure most would too. There's so much potential they're not tapping for these sorts of things.

Yes, yes YES. So much this. All of those ideas would be amazing and guess what? They'd probably sell much better than however these current "New 52" movies are because of the publicity and curiosity. Getting Lynda Carter to play Wonder Woman again or John Wesley Shipp to play The Flash again. Do a Tim Burton-esque Batman movie with a visual style similar to Burton...maybe Keaton would be down to voice the character? Maybe Elfman would be up to score it? How awesome would that be?

Or...here's a WILD, ambitious idea. What if they did a "What if?" crossover of Richard Donner's Superman and Keaton's Batman? A "Batman v Superman: 1990" or something like that? Or a pseudo-"Justice League" animated movie with Donner/ Reeve's Superman, Carter's WW, Keaton's Batman and Shipp's Flash? I dunno, get creative, guys! Animation is a great outlet to produce these wacky ideas.

I don't know about Burton, he might be interested from having got his start in animation (though he may have gotten sick of a lot of fans always going TAS is better!!!!!) but a lot of the live action talent probably wouldn't want to do a cartoon and would be irked at the idea of other people doing a followup to their work.

Burton’s Batman 3 animated would be an absolute dream come true

Agreed.

Tim Burton's "Batman 3."

I love this idea. Great post!

That seemed to be the initial idea behind the DC Classic line that started with Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders. Ultimately, I guess the two movies didn't sell amazingly and they dropped the branding right away.

Perhaps they feel if Batman '66 can't draw in the crowds, a Carter Wonder Woman or something obscure to non-fans has little chance.

If so, that's a damn shame. Animating classic live action performances worked wonderfully in the two West/Ward/Newmar reunion movies.

A Carter 'influenced' WW film would sell like hot cakes to my generation that grew up with her as WW, in my view.

There's really nothing New 52 left from the recent animated films. They've litterally been doing their own thing since Judas Contract. Don't know why fans still call it New 52... Is it because they use the same animation style, over and over again?

I'm glad these films are sticking with the 'anime New 52' style. I wasn't a fan of the New 52 as a whole, but the Jim Lee costumes were effective updates.

There's really nothing New 52 left from the recent animated films. They've litterally been doing their own thing since Judas Contract. Don't know why fans still call it New 52... Is it because they use the same animation style, over and over again?

Yes it’s more about the style but also things like the line ups with Batman and Damien, the league line up etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"