Animated Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen Two-Parter coming 2018/2019

iTunes yes, but not Amazon prime. I thought it was on DCU but we checked earlier and no.

iTunes yes, but not Amazon prime. I thought it was on DCU but we checked earlier and no.

I’m sure I heard this was going to be released at the same time on DCU.

I’m sure I heard this was going to be released at the same time on DCU.

The press release says today, 1/15, and you would assume DCU would be the key one as it is nowadays. But nothing.

Just spoke to my mate from the US who has DCU and he said it’s not on there til the Blu Ray is out which is the 29th

So did the press release lie a little? Sure its on iTunes, but thats not where I'm gonna see it. DCU or Amazon.

Sorry it didn’t work for you, to me it seems it didn’t work for you because you couldn’t buy into these versions of the characters and their world. Which is fine but because I did it all worked for me. These moments you talk about been missing are actually there but because you couldn’t buy into this world it didn’t work for you.

Lois to me was the crux of both movies.

Andre Braugher is the worst Darkseid, I preferred Tony Todd.

To me this is THE best version we’ve seen of the Death & Return arc in any medium. Both films would crack the top ten for me although with them been joined together soon I’d probably rank them all as one film.

Good points. The weird part is I like the world despite other people's complaints...I guess I just want a basic superman film somewhere to build characters before going into their bigger story lines.

Tony todd I felt was really weak in comparison...mind you Andrew came off weaker as soon as I heard holt on Brooklyn 99.

What were your thoughts on lex? I don't like how cowardly he is but much prefer the master manipulator always in control. So I'm not a big fan. As for the supermen they were great...just didn't feel like a climatic fight.

Good points. The weird part is I like the world despite other people's complaints...I guess I just want a basic superman film somewhere to build characters before going into their bigger story lines.

Tony todd I felt was really weak in comparison...mind you Andrew came off weaker as soon as I heard holt on Brooklyn 99.

What were your thoughts on lex? I don't like how cowardly he is but much prefer the master manipulator always in control. So I'm not a big fan. As for the supermen they were great...just didn't feel like a climatic fight.

That’s fair enough.

See I just don’t think Braugher ever suited Darkseid. Would have been a great Mongul though. I thought Todd sounded more like Darkseid.

I loved Lex in both films, he was a proper smarmy version.

Fair enough mate different strokes eh :)

So did the press release lie a little? Sure its on iTunes, but thats not where I'm gonna see it. DCU or Amazon.

Did the press release say anything about DC Universe?

Did the press release say anything about DC Universe?

No, but its been said or suggested that DCU was the new go to. Plus, the press release didn't say where the digital locations were. Now I've seen them, currently, and its not where I go. But no to amazon or DCU is both strange and stupid.

I may be in the minority - but this just whelmed me. I wasn't overly impressed, and it wasn't as epic as I had thought it could have been.

I still feel one thing no superman film (where he dies) has done a good job of is showing the emotional impact.

Yes they have scenes of it, but frankly put I haven't cared about this Lois given this is iirc the first real movie shes in or having bit parts in other films hasnt really added to her character.

Tony Todd definitely isnt as good as Andrew Braugher, which was kind of a downer.

First DC film i'd give it a 7/10. There's enough to love about it, but not enough to have this in the top 10 DCTV animated films (imo)

Watch the Justice League episode "Hereafter."

Death of superman was solid, this one was just.......meh, then again the whole death and return storyline was a gimmick that took a life of it's own.
so Superman
stops cyborg and all his human turned minions army collapse and fall to their death and superman just goes out with lois, does the shirt rip and then smiles for the camera, wow, honestly it's MOS all over again!
Well atleast there is red son to look forward to.

So they cut the collar off of Superman's suit, that should make some of you happy. I love the collar, but I wish they removed the arrow pointers part of the sleeve from the back of his wrist instead.
Death of superman was solid, this one was just.......meh, then again the whole death and return storyline was a gimmick that took a life of it's own.
so Superman
stops cyborg and all his human turned minions army collapse and fall to their death and superman just goes out with lois, does the shirt rip and then smiles for the camera, wow, honestly it's MOS all over again!
Well atleast there is red son to look forward to.
This is significantly better cause it's far less destructive, and Superman did not actively throw the villain to a densely populated area to save one person.

So I finally had a chance to see the film. Not as emotional as its predecessor (The Death of Superman), but still a worthy conclusion to this two part story.

I definitely enjoyed the film for the most part. I really wish Warner Bros would not have done the death and return story line so soon with Cavill's portrayal, let alone before and during the first Justice League film.

It would have been great to see the four supermen portrayed on the big screen in live action format.

I only had a few issues with the film.

- I did not like the fact that we never got a chance to see the League's reaction towards seeing the real Superman alive again. They should have shown that along with a reunion scene between Ma and Pa Kent with Clark.

- Considering the level of emotions shown when we saw Lois mourning over Superman dying in her arms, I was expecting something a little bit more stronger for their reunion.

- Like others have noted, did they just have the League willingly let the controlled civilians fall to their deaths upon Cyborg's defeat.

- i still do not understand on why Superman did not have the eradicator join him in person to help. I mean there was no guarantee that he would strong enough to even implant the crystal in Hank's head.

So I finally had a chance to see the film. Not as emotional as its predecessor (The Death of Superman), but still a worthy conclusion to this two part story.

I definitely enjoyed the film for the most part. I really wish Warner Bros would not have done the death and return story line so soon with Cavill's portrayal, let alone before and during the first Justice League film.

It would have been great to see the four supermen portrayed on the big screen in live action format.

I only had a few issues with the film.

- I did not like the fact that we never got a chance to see the League's reaction towards seeing the real Superman alive again. They should have shown that along with a reunion scene between Ma and Pa Kent with Clark.

- Considering the level of emotions shown when we saw Lois mourning over Superman dying in her arms, I was expecting something a little bit more stronger for their reunion.

- Like others have noted, did they just have the League willingly let the controlled civilians fall to their deaths upon Cyborg's defeat.

- i still do not understand on why Superman did not have the eradicator join him in person to help. I mean there was no guarantee that he would strong enough to even implant the crystal in Hank's head.

- Agree about Ma and Pa.
- the Lois Superman stuff worked great for me personally.
- I didn’t think of the league saving those falling people. They could have although I think they wanted that drama of that girls bf dying. It didn’t really bother me tbh. I don’t tend to get hung up on stuff like that.
- With Eradicator think he had to keep him as how wildcard if he couldn’t defeat Cyborg Superman. If he’d gone in with him I don’t think it would have been wise to play all your cards straight away so tonke that makes sense.

The ending of this movie was so thrilling I left with such a smile on my face.

I feel like this one was a big step down from the first part. Still enjoyable

Agreed guys. It was enjoyable but doesnt touch part 1. I think honestly this was a victim of the time restriction on these animated features. There just wasnt enough time to really delve into that whole storyline from the comics. A lot of it was rushed and...didnt make much sense and lacked an epic feeling to it.

I didn't expect this to happen, but I was disappointed that

This didn't result in the destruction of Coast City. That could have taken us into the Parallax storyline for Green Lantern.

This didn't result in the destruction of Coast City. That could have taken us into the Parallax storyline for Green Lantern.
I haven't seen the film yet, but I'm betting that's exactly why they DIDN'T do it, as they sadly have no plans for that, so it would've been an unnecessary, depressing event with no follow-through.

That story isn't held in either high regard, or any regard at all; its known as a common '90s comics story, maybe even an embarrassment too. Which is why many stories afterwards, Zero Hour, Final Night, tried to fix that mistake, and the only one that did it right was Green Lantern: Rebirth; which after that, might as well pretend the whole Parallax ordeal never happened. However, the concept of it isn't bad, and thus if they did do it, it would be a MAJOR rewrite and a completely DIFFERENT story compared to the comics. And by that notion, you don't need the destruction of Coast City to start that.

Of course, the other reason why you don't see Coast City get destroyed in this film is because of common sense: Superman lives in Metropolis, and the villain is a Superman double, so the only target especially for a city without Superman's protection would be Metropolis, which the film does very well. Having Coast City wouldn't make sense, and I'm glad it wasn't in this, because it would be completely unnecessary.

That story isn't held in either high regard, or any regard at all; its known as a common '90s comics story, maybe even an embarrassment too. Which is why many stories afterwards, Zero Hour, Final Night, tried to fix that mistake, and the only one that did it right was Green Lantern: Rebirth; which after that, might as well pretend the whole Parallax ordeal never happened. However, the concept of it isn't bad, and thus if they did do it, it would be a MAJOR rewrite and a completely DIFFERENT story compared to the comics. And by that notion, you don't need the destruction of Coast City to start that.

Of course, the other reason why you don't see Coast City get destroyed in this film is because of common sense: Superman lives in Metropolis, and the villain is a Superman double, so the only target especially for a city without Superman's protection would be Metropolis, which the film does very well. Having Coast City wouldn't make sense, and I'm glad it wasn't in this, because it would be completely unnecessary.

Suit yourself. I liked Green Lantern's arc in that story personally. To each their own.

Suit yourself. I liked Green Lantern's arc in that story personally. To each their own.

Its not a question of that. The concept is good, but if you go back and read that story, especially the weird mood swing from the issues prior to it, the story itself/execution is not good at all. I can picture a brand new story using those concepts, though. Its just a question on if you still get Kyle Rayner, or like Damien being the second Robin in this universe, replace him with Jessica Cruz (despite her origin being applied to the upcoming JL vs Fatal Five).

I completely agree with this

Yeah, this was enjoyable, but a definite step down from DEATH. Part 2 felt like it needed more room to breathe, but also dragged in places.

Peter J Tomasi worked some serious magic with the first script.

EDIT: Plus, the movie is due to debut on DC Universe on 29th January. The same date as the Blu-Ray release. This will be the plan moving forward now for all of these movies:

Digital gets an exclusive two week window followed by a same day release for streaming/physical media.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"