Animated Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen Two-Parter coming 2018/2019

JL Dark is solid, underwhelming considering the writer involved and how it could have been, but certainly better than the rest of the films in this series.
Not at all sure what underlined is based on.

Not at all sure what underlined is based on.
J. M. DeMatteis wrote the story (or had a hand in writing it) for that film, he's one of the greats when it comes to comic books. Moments like Felix Faust causing shenanigans so they'd go fight him just so we find that another person is the true villain of the story once they pin him down...

J. M. DeMatteis wrote the story (or had a hand in writing it) for that film, he's one of the greats when it comes to comic books. Moments like Felix Faust causing shenanigans so they'd go fight him just so we find that another person is the true villain of the story once they pin him down...

There was another story writer credited with that movie who also ended up with screenplay credit.
*shrug* DeMatteis wrote Bad Blood & Batman vs Robin
If he's done better elsewhere, he seems to need someone else to make it work here.

I'm not following this, they made a standalone Gaslight film that had virtually nothing in common with the classic one shot. They made a panel for panel standalone recreation of The Killing Joke and it was still poor.
So what I'm saying is that the universe these films are set in does not determine either accuracy to the source material or quality. The animation quality and designs of those films were lackluster and cheap as well so this is hardly some continuity films specific problem. Same goes for violence and adult content. Its clear that the reason they keep repeating the designs is to save cost not some loyalty to a non existent New 52.

Do you really think a standalone Long Halloween or Dark Victory will ever be able to replicate the Sale designs? Do you think a standalone Arkham Asylum will ever look anything like Mckeans artwork? They dont have the resources for those kinds of special projects.

I think comic fans need to realize is that not all great comic stories will ever end up becoming great films even with a panel for panel recreation. Just look at Watchmen. DOS is better off trying to be contemporary than working with 90's edicts.

Man, you’re making this much more bigger than I thought my question would ever lead to (which was not much discussion). Anyway, it’s pretty simple... some don’t like, care for, or even hate these New 52 DTVs for various reasons. There are comic stories that some have wanted to see either animated or in live-action (with animation being the more likely route for various reasons). These New 52 DTVs aren’t the outlet they wanted to see them in and are disappointed that it’s what we’re getting.

It’s clear you’re interpreting what I said in a way that doesn’t have much to do with why I said it. Other posters have brought up some reasons why there’s a lack of enthusiasm for this DOS film.

Not replication, something more like how Superman/Batman: Public Enemies was done, the art of Ed McGuiness greatly influenced that adaption without being a replication, it stands out well.

The problem is not modernizing the adaption, it's that the current animated world has been majorly underwhelming, we don't want a long anticipated translation end up being another underwhelming entry in their underwhelming world with some of their disappointing voice actors.

Completely agreed.

TDKR didn't look 100% like Miller's work but it was close enough for me. The same could be done with Hush or TLH.

I'll admit I do enjoy the New 52 DTVs, but not when it comes to adapting classic storylines.

There was another story writer credited with that movie who also ended up with screenplay credit.
*shrug* DeMatteis wrote Bad Blood & Batman vs Robin
If he's done better elsewhere, he seems to need someone else to make it work here.
I skipped on looking at the writing credits for Bad Blood, and boy was that a bland movie. Ignored the other movie completely.

Man, you’re making this much more bigger than I thought my question would ever lead to (which was not much discussion). Anyway, it’s pretty simple... some don’t like, care for, or even hate these New 52 DTVs for various reasons. There are comic stories that some have wanted to see either animated or in live-action (with animation being the more likely route for various reasons). These New 52 DTVs aren’t the outlet they wanted to see them in and are disappointed that it’s what we’re getting.

It’s clear you’re interpreting what I said in a way that doesn’t have much to do with why I said it. Other posters have brought up some reasons why there’s a lack of enthusiasm for this DOS film.

Just ignore him, he doesn’t like it when people don’t care for this universe they’ve created using the new 52 models. He can like it if he wants but those of us that don’t aren’t willing to settle because it’s what we’re been given. I personally feel after they said they wanted to adapt a more faithful version that we’re been robbed of that right with the decisions made. Sure I know they can’t necessarily have Lex’s storyline where it was at that time but given we’ve had other adaptations that have been more faithful including the artwork then I think we have the right to feel aggrieved that what we’re getting looks underwhelming and quite frankly dull.

Look and this is addressed to the other guy too, I understand. I also believe that DC animation has taken a steep nose dive since Flashpoint Paradox. Mask of the Phantasm, Elite, Return of the Joker, All Star Superman, Under the Hood and TDKR both parts are my clear favorites not the current line.
The difference is that I'm not scrapegoating some specific films or one character cough Damian cough for flaws that apply to their entire department.

We got BTAS style animation in Gaslight, TKJ and the Harley film and it was a horrid cheap eye sore not worthy of DCAU. All their films are trying to be edgy, adult and gritty not just the ones with the so called "New 52". The directors, writers, producers are the same for all their films. Their budgets aren't what they used to be and so on. Our lord Bruce Timm is now public enemy number one even though the "New 52" films made fans beg for his return.

So lets just say DOS is animated Batman and Harley style, Lex is a clone pretending to be his son with red hair, Supergirl was is made of protoplasm by an alternate Lex, Booster Gold replaces Batman. Superman is wearing All Star costume. But its still made by the same creators following the same direction. Do you honestly think the film will be better off? Honestly comic fans are the worst imo. Not directed at you but their obsession with visuals and entitlement over what they think makes a story good is exactly how we ended up with Zack Snyder.

The story has been adapted (or heavily borrowed from) in the animated Justice League, Doomsday and Snyder's everything and the wobbly kitchen sink trilogy.

Why go back to it again? And why do it if you aren't going to embrace the original as it was told? It's completely redundant.

Surely there is a better Superman story out there that could have both celebrated his 80th anniversary AND warranted a two part adaptation?

Surely there is a better Superman story out there that could have both celebrated his 80th anniversary AND warranted a two part adaptation?
I'd love to see the Supermen of Earth Two and New Earth (since Earth One version of the character was completely scrapped with John Byrne's Man of Steel) interact.
Have a few adventures together, show us the different cousins, two different married couples of Lois & Clark, have the different in shield design and size visible...

Make a well developed trilogy of that, and I'll be VERY happy.

The story has been adapted (or heavily borrowed from) in the animated Justice League, Doomsday and Snyder's everything and the wobbly kitchen sink trilogy.

Why go back to it again? And why do it if you aren't going to embrace the original as it was told? It's completely redundant.

From what I can tell based on this post, it's the most relevant.

In the case of the DTV approach, its one of the few we’ll known Superman stories that also directly involved and affects the Justice League.

Just ignore him, he doesn’t like it when people don’t care for this universe they’ve created using the new 52 models. He can like it if he wants but those of us that don’t aren’t willing to settle because it’s what we’re been given. I personally feel after they said they wanted to adapt a more faithful version that we’re been robbed of that right with the decisions made. Sure I know they can’t necessarily have Lex’s storyline where it was at that time but given we’ve had other adaptations that have been more faithful including the artwork then I think we have the right to feel aggrieved that what we’re getting looks underwhelming and quite frankly dull.

If this had to be some "in continuity" type of thing, I guess it probably would've been better if they hadn't used the New 52 as its base. I could understand why they went with the New 52 (corporate syngery and probably Johns :woot:), but just doing their own thing like the DCAU or Young Justice toons probably would've been better given that the New 52 is over (as I'm sure most people knew would eventually happen). Also making films that were up to snuff wouldn't have hurt. Then, I could see a DOS type of story working out in some way. Though, it would be nice to have something other than another Superman "dies" story.

I still prefer the variety of stand alone stories, animation styles, and voice actors like they used to do.

Look and this is addressed to the other guy too, I understand. I also believe that DC animation has taken a steep nose dive since Flashpoint Paradox. Mask of the Phantasm, Elite, Return of the Joker, All Star Superman, Under the Hood and TDKR both parts are my clear favorites not the current line.
The difference is that I'm not scrapegoating some specific films or one character cough Damian cough for flaws that apply to their entire department.

We got BTAS style animation in Gaslight, TKJ and the Harley film and it was a horrid cheap eye sore not worthy of DCAU. All their films are trying to be edgy, adult and gritty not just the ones with the so called "New 52". The directors, writers, producers are the same for all their films. Their budgets aren't what they used to be and so on. Our lord Bruce Timm is now public enemy number one even though the "New 52" films made fans beg for his return.

So lets just say DOS is animated Batman and Harley style, Lex is a clone pretending to be his son with red hair, Supergirl was is made of protoplasm by an alternate Lex, Booster Gold replaces Batman. Superman is wearing All Star costume. But its still made by the same creators following the same direction. Do you honestly think the film will be better off? Honestly comic fans are the worst imo. Not directed at you but their obsession with visuals and entitlement over what they think makes a story good is exactly how we ended up with Zack Snyder.

Man.. I still feel like you're arguing against things I that weren't mentioned. Some don't like the New 52 DTVs and prefer the old way of a variety of films that aren't in continuity with one another. Always nice to mix things up when it comes to the animation styles, stories, voice actors, etc and of course, that the films are good and entertaining.

If this had to be some "in continuity" type of thing, I guess it probably would've been better if they hadn't used the New 52 as its base. I could understand why they went with the New 52 (corporate syngery and probably Johns :woot:), but just doing their own thing like the DCAU or Young Justice toons probably would've been better given that the New 52 is over (as I'm sure most people knew would eventually happen). Also making films that were up to snuff wouldn't have hurt.
Well not just synergy. Those stories are easy to adapt, but there were only really 3 actual New 52 adaptations - War, Throne, and BvR
Not even sure why folks are even that pessimistic given the past four or five "New 52" movies were up to snuff ie around the time Sam Liu & Alan Burnett joined the party.

I’d like it if this universe had a more classic feel to it instead of the New 52 aesthetic. I think it would be better received by fans.

wish they would let this new 52 animated movie universe just die. Not a fan at all.

do something like a new frontier based franchise, that would be unique.

Well not just synergy. Those stories are easy to adapt, but there were only really 3 actual New 52 adaptations - War, Throne, and BvR
Not even sure why folks are even that pessimistic given the past four or five "New 52" movies were up to snuff ie around the time Sam Liu & Alan Burnett joined the party.

I feel like I've read somewhere about those stories or at least the Johns ones being written in such a way that you could easily make films out of them. Probably from some reviews or something when the comics first came out. I could be wrong though. And yeah, it goes beyond syngery. As noted by others, it probably saves some kind of cost to keep using the same designs, cast, crew etc. for most of these film.

I didn't find these past few film up to snuff. But that's just me.

wish they would let this new 52 animated movie universe just die. Not a fan at all.

do something like a new frontier based franchise, that would be unique.

Dawwwwwwggg

Yeah that’s what I was saying. Something more classic. A universe that’s basically mashup of 70s and 80s DC mixed in with more contemporary characters that didn’t exist at that time would be tight.

This puzzle is so cool, it is a perfect representation of DC. I love the juxtaposition of the classic characters along with someone new like Harley

201600008380.jpg

Dawwwwwwggg

Yeah that’s what I was saying. Something more classic. A universe that’s basically mashup of 70s and 80s DC mixed in with more contemporary characters that didn’t exist at that time would be tight.
This description makes me want to watch the triumph that is the Brave and the Bold once again.

Dawwwwwwggg

This puzzle is so cool, it is a perfect representation of DC. I love the juxtaposition of the classic characters along with someone new like Harley

201600008380.jpg

I'm not really into jigsaw puzzles but I would so do that :up:

Any word on exactly when this is coming out? The only information I can find online is it’s coming out in 2018. Does anyone have a more specific time?

I'm kind of meh on this, the Doomsday animated movie did a good enough job and we just saw this story adapted in live action. DC for some reason just keeps going back to this well. I would just much prefer see the DTV's used more creatively than this, adapt more of DC's classic stories and graphic novels and one shots. Or use it to adapt un produced screenplays like Superman Lives? Or, Heck, how about this, use it as an outlet to "revive" older DC adaptations like how they brought back Batman '66 with West and Ward. How cool would it be if they did a Lynda Carter WW animated movie with Carter reprising the role? What if they did a Tim Burton-esque Batman animated movie with Keaton reprising the role? Fans would go nuts over those and they'd sell incredibly well. Come on, guys, get creative with these animated movies, stop wasting resources on these New 52 stories, the comics have abandoned the New 52 and it is no longer a thing, why are we dragging this on?

My worry is that is that if this doesn’t sell well that they think fans don’t want more Animated Superman Films. But I refuse buy these animated films anymore because they have been mostly subpar and I hate the approach with the designs and etc. So I’m worrying they aren’t gonna get the right message.

I stopped getting them long ago, only special stuff like Batman 66 and other world stuff are worth getting.
I heard late 2018. Nothing more specific.
Is Part 2 meant to be released the same month? A month after? Sometime later?
If I recall correctly, the gap between parts 1 and 2 of the Dark Knight Returns wasn't too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"