Anna Borden and Ryan Fleck are the Directors

Take a run at Lynne Ramsay. She'd probably not be interested, but at this point its worth the shot.

what's the hold up here?
Thought, according to the rumors, we were supposed to get an announcement by August... then again before January...?

I suspect that Lorene Scafaria would jump at the chance to make this movie.

I surprised no director has been announced yet...

Marvel Press release confirming

https://news.marvel.com/movies/63493/marvel-studios-captain-marvel-finds-directors/

Marvel Studios’ “Captain Marvel” has found the perfect duo to fly Carol Danvers to the big screen in 2019!

The directing pair Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck have signed on to direct the film, starring Oscar-winner Brie Larson. Kevin Feige will produce the film, written by Meg LeFauve and Nicole Perlman. Marvel Studios’ Louis D’Esposito, Victoria Alonso, and Jonathan Schwartz serve as Executive Producers alongside Stan Lee.

Boden and Fleck most recently wrote and directed “Mississippi Grind,” starring Ryan Reynolds and Ben Mendelsohn. Both have also directed and written “It’s Kind of a Funny Story” (starring Emma Roberts and Zach Galifianakis), “Sugar,” and worked together on the critically-acclaimed “Half Nelson” starring Ryan Gosling.

Carol Danvers has a very nuanced, powerful story, so Marvel took time selecting the final directing duo. But ultimately Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck’s diverse body of work and ability and focus on character made the choice a winning one. Each of their films exhibit nuanced, fascinating performances and a deeply-felt sense of character, all which will fuel the pairs passion around telling Carol Danvers’ Story.

“Captain Marvel” starring Brie Larson, has found its directors.

Marvel has tapped “Mississippi Grind” helmers Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck to direct the upcoming superhero tentpole.

Since announcing the Oscar winner would be playing the titular superhero, the studio has taken its time in finding the film’s director. Marvel made it clear they wanted a female guiding the ship on this film’s voyage.

Marvel was not available for comment.

The studio had met with several contenders and sources say the studio not only wanted to make sure that the search was thorough but that the script was in the right shape before tapping who would direct it.

Kevin Feige has an eye for tapping talent that is ready to break out with James Gunn and the Russo Brothers as prime examples and it looks to be the case again with this duo.

The studio was looking for a unique point of view and they are heading into a new era films where they want to grow and change in a certain way that fits that new environment.

Execs met with the duo many times before the studio decided to go with them and time and time agan the pair impressed the studio with what they wanted to do with this character.

The two have the advantage of navigating the TV and film world and Marvel does see that as a strength when it comes to developing and shooting their films.

Best known for their character study dramas like “Half Nelson” and “Mississippi Grind,” Boden and Fleck have spent a lot of time directing episodes for such popular TV shows as “The Affair” and “Billions.”

“Inside Out” scribe Meg LeFauve and Nicole Perlman are currently writing the script, which follows Carol Danvers, an Air Force pilot whose DNA is fused with that of an alien during an accident. The resulting alteration imbues her with the superpowers of strength, energy project, and flight.

Kevin Feige is producing the pic.

They are repped by WME and Management 360

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/captain-marvel-directors-anna-boden-ryan-fleck-1201994270/

Last edited:
This is both surprising and not surprising if that makes sense. Either way, I approve. Half Nelson is spectacular. :up:

Dont be surprised by people complaining that marvel got a male and a female duo as directors. Instead of trusting a woman to do the all by herself.

I've never heard of these two but I've never heard of most Marvel directors.

Glad to see this finally moving forward. I'm sure some casting isn't too far behind if they're gonna start filming in January.

Also, funny this came out after Reed said they hired a director yesterday. Although he was supposedly kidding.

cool

Edit: they were once considered to direct Ant-Man (after EW left) and Guardians.

Really good new. I recommned Sugar to any of you, really heartfelt film. I have not seen anything else from them but most of the things they have done are acclaimed and they always work as a team. marvel didn;t force a man director in there. They go like the Russos.

Mississippi Grind was really good (and Ben Mendelsohn and Ryan Reynolds were both great in it).

Dont be surprised by people complaining that marvel got a male and a female duo as directors. Instead of trusting a woman to do the all by herself.
People let Marvel get away with anything when it comes to the diversity situation so I think it's only going to be a couple of people complaining.

People let Marvel get away with anything when it comes to the diversity situation so I think it's only going to be a couple of people complaining.

That's really not true and there is not even an issue here. The people complaining haven't bothered to look at RT. They are a duo like the Russos. They always work together.

Half Nelson was great. I approve.

That's really not true and there is not even an issue here. The people complaining haven't bothered to look at RT. They are a duo like the Russos. They always work together.

If it were just this film, then it wouldn't really be a problem. The problem is that Marvel's previous track record is frankly quite dismal in this regard. After almost a decade, and like 15 movies, how many of them have been directed solely by a woman. The answer is, ZERO!!

So it's a case (for many people) of "really, you cannot even let a woman direct the freaking Captain Marvel movie on her own, seriously Marvel?" Heck even WB, for all their problems, got Patty Jenkins to direct WW (which is only their fourth DCCU film).

Yeah there would be more merit to complaints if they were 2 separate directors forced to work together but they've always worked together and has been packaged as a duo.

This directing duo is quite an inspired and positive choice for Captain Marvel. Anna Borden and Ryan Fleck clearly know how to tell a well written, well structured, character driven story. They have a wonderful track record with past films.

I hope they get to fine-tune the script before shooting begins early next year.

^Again, it's more about Marvel's track record as a whole.

If it were just this film, then it wouldn't really be a problem. The problem is that Marvel's previous track record is frankly quite dismal in this regard. After almost a decade, and like 15 movies, how many of them have been directed solely by a woman. The answer is, ZERO!!

So it's a case (for many people) of "really, you cannot even let a woman direct the freaking Captain Marvel movie on her own, seriously Marvel?" Heck even WB, for all their problems, got Patty Jenkins to direct WW (which is only their fourth DCCU film).

Yeah and got two male writers for the screeplay. Let's not go there.

So you are telling me those two guys went to Marvel's offices with a great pitch and vision for the movie, they have been working together since their first film, they write together. So Feige should have cut one of them not to anger some people online who have no perspective and the patience to look into their work? is that what you are telling me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"