The Dark Knight Rises Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Anne Hathaway, but only because I like Nolan's version better.

Pfeiffer is equally great regardless

I did not like Hathaway at all in the role. Her performance seemed very forced to me, like they tried too hard to make her sexy. She is not sexy at all, neither is she charismatic or interesting. There was no chemistry between her and Batman (probably also because Christian Bale is equally terrible).

Michelle is in a whole different league.

9cyPFQbgCm2a4nqyAFJnSuZ8o1_500.jpg

Go to be Pfieffer. Her Catwoman was ten times as fun. No disrespect to Hathaway, but I think she was miscast.

Michelle was incredible and ICONIC. One of the most powerful perfomances in Batman movies. On par with Nolan's The Joker and Two-Face.

Anne was OK. The only good thing about the new Catwoman was how they handled the cat ears in grounded Batman. The rest is kinda forgettable.

My vote goes to Michelle.

I did not like Hathaway at all in the role. Her performance seemed very forced to me, like they tried too hard to make her sexy. She is not sexy at all, neither is she charismatic or interesting. There was no chemistry between her and Batman (probably also because Christian Bale is equally terrible).

Michelle is in a whole different league.
No chemistry? Not charismatic? Not sexy? You're hilarious.

I agree with him, to an extent. Hathaway is a competent actress, so managed to portray "flirtatious" reasonably well, but overall I felt she was miscast. A frail, thin girl going her best with tinny dialogue and a silly costume.

I agree with him, to an extent. Hathaway is a competent actress, so managed to portray "flirtatious" reasonably well, but overall I felt she was miscast. A frail, thin girl going her best with tinny dialogue and a silly costume.

Silly costume?
And I thought the silliest costume goes to Batman..
Will always goes to Batman..

It's gonna be hard to hide, crawl inside confined space or even to drive inside a car with that long pointy ears..
Bruce Wayne wants to become fear.. But, admit it, you we all won't be afraid if a guy dressed in a bizzare halloween costume or a cosplayer comes up, will you?

I mean, we can 't complain about silly costume.. Because they are silly from the beginning.. :woot:

That's pretty dramatic.

'Silly'? Compared to what? Every other Catwoman costume ever, short of Adam Hughes' take? I don't think so.

It's a black spy suit with goggles that double as a domino mask with 'ears' that we could interpret to even be accidental. She didn't make an animal themed outfit, and they even ditched the whip.

That's going as far to the opposite of 'silly' as you possibly can with a Catwoman costume. :oldrazz:

I would have traded out the heels for claws, but still.

Sorry, I haven't been clear. The costume is not silly because it is insufficiently dull/'practical', it is silly to me because its overall design is ugly and faintly comic in the 'Mickey Mouse' sense. Pfieffer's costume was much better, because it was a stronger design. As far as 'practicality' is really necessary in a Batman movie, the costume used in the comics since the 1990s accomplishes it more fully while looking a lot nicer, too.

Anne Hathaway, but only because I like Nolan's version better.

Pfeiffer is equally great regardless

Pretty much. Both were spectacular for the version they were playing in, so then it comes down to which of those interpretations/films you prefer.

Anne for me. :cwink:

EDIT: AMAZING avatar, by the way.

I liked both costumes. Both performances. But Anne was Selina Kyle. Michelle was just the zombie/horny Catwoman and a Selina from some parallel universe. Anne was the "sly Robin Hood and not a psycho" as someone put it. And that is Catwoman to me.

Pfieffer was a much better representation of the lion's share of Catwoman's history. Hathaway was comparatively bland, but that is nothing uncommon in a Nolan movie. I am certain that it will be Pfieffer's Catwoman that continues to be remembered and cited as a pop culture icon.

Pfieffer was a much better representation of the lion's share of Catwoman's history.

In what way? The jewel thief anti heroine type Catwoman that Hathaway played is a more common characterization than the version Pfeiffer played.

Yeah, I strongly disagree that Anne was miscast. She might have been cast against type based on the roles she's played in the past, but for me she embodied who Selina Kyle is. There's not another actress in Hollywood I would have rather seen play the character in TDKR.

I didn't find the costume silly either. It was retro, but techie. The Numar look felt more iconic, in terms of how pop culture tends to think of Catwoman. And it managed to incorporate the goggles, which made me happy. Michelle's costume was great too and was closer to the comics of the time. But they had a job to distinguish the costume and characterization than what had come before and they did a marvelous job of it.

Hathaway wasn't bland, she just didn't ham or overly sex it up because the role didn't call for it. But nevertheless, she was incredibly smart, sexy, funny and kickass.

They're equal in my book.

I think, Nolan's Catwoman wasn't as convincing in his version of Gotham as Burton's Catwoman in Burton's Gotham.

She was just over the top. Those heels and hip-high boots, flowing hair, contrast make-up... Eye-candy? Oh yes. But it ruined everything that Nolan was constructing through previous movies. What's funny, Selina works great outside her costume, but when she wears it, it turn everything into joke.

I'd prefer a mix between current comic book Catwoman suit (minus cat ears) and those flipping goggles. Less classy, more rebel. Maybe with short hair.

As a summary, I don't think that Anne was a miscast. It's just her Catwoman part was poorly made. But Selina's part was great.

It didn't ruin anything that Nolan was constructing through previous movies. That doesn't make sense OutOfBoose.

And i didn't think she was any more over the top than the Joker or Batman himself.

If it turned into a joke when she wore the costume then you might as well say the same thing about Pfeiffer when she wore hers. I dont agree with that at all. For Michelle OR Anne.

I liked both costumes. Both performances. But Anne was Selina Kyle. Michelle was just the zombie/horny Catwoman and a Selina from some parallel universe. Anne was the "sly Robin Hood and not a psycho" as someone put it. And that is Catwoman to me.

yes, she was,

and call a zombie as catwoman or Selina Kyle? it is just....

Last edited:
I love both so much. Don't make me choose. I have a soft spot for Michelle and do kind of wish she had a chance to play comics Selina.

Hathaway's Catwoman seemed closer to the comics version. But she was never allotted the screentime her character really needed.

Pfieffer's Catwoman was by far the stronger performance and had the more emotionally gripping arc / story.

Of course, I like both immensely, but I give the edge to Pfieffer.

Ahh, the Bat board. The one place where I can rest easy, knowing at least a handful of people have the integrity to stand up for something that deserves it even if I'm not around to try.

You guys are great. :up:

I love both so much. Don't make me choose. I have a soft spot for Michelle and do kind of wish she had a chance to play comics Selina.

I was hoping for Tim to include her in the third movie, and have her and Batman try to finally help cure each other and settle down. Fight side-by-side, etc.

Also, it KILLS me that Tim didn't get around to doing the Scarecrow or Hugo Strange. They're perfect for him.

I wish Burton, Elfman, and Keaton would team up and make an animated Batman III. With Burton's style and story. I know I'd love to find out how they would have ended their trilogy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"