The Dark Knight Rises Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Nothing you say makes any sense.

look who is talking

I didn't write "Michelle was just the zombie....Anne was the "sly Robin Hood and not a psycho" as someone put it. And that is Catwoman to me."
in the first place.

I just stated my opion that I partially agree with that

Last edited:
Someone who knows how to construct an understandable sentence?

ThePhantasm 04:18 PM : Nothing you say makes any sense.

I didn't write that post-- "Michelle was just the zombie....Anne was the "sly Robin Hood and not a psycho" as someone put it. And that is Catwoman to me."
in the first place.

I just stated my opion that I partially agree with that

perhapse your logical thinking is more better than your capability to construct an sentence ?

Last edited:
perhapse your logical thinking is more better than your capability to construct an sentence ?

perhapse

reesereaction3_zpsa0b0ad26.gif

I have no idea what you meant, so I'll just take that as a compliment! Thanks, good sir!

Last edited:
I'm guessing English isn't his first language, Phantasm. Go easy on him.

I'm guessing that too, and its not a big deal to me. It was the "look who is talking" that gave me a good laugh.

I'm guessing that too, and its not a big deal to me. It was the "look who is talking" that gave me a good laugh.

and I am still laughing at this---ThePhantasm 04:18 PM : Nothing you say makes any sense.

so what did I say ?

Last edited:

so What did I say ?

Why do you expect me to be able to answer this? My whole point was that I don't know. :funny:

Anywho, back to Pfieffer. With a bit of further reflection, I've concluded that while Hathaway is more comics-faithful in her actions / mannerisms, Pfieffer has some bonus points in that area too. Catwoman's love for cats? Pfieffer has that, not Hathaway. Catwoman's whip? Pfieffer again. Just a few more points to Pfieffer's lead over Hathaway in my opinion...

Why do you expect me to be able to answer this? My whole point was that I don't know. :funny:

Anywho, back to Pfieffer. With a bit of further reflection, I've concluded that while Hathaway is more comics-faithful in her actions / mannerisms, Pfieffer has some bonus points in that area too. Catwoman's love for cats? Pfieffer has that, not Hathaway. Catwoman's whip? Pfieffer again. Just a few more points to Pfieffer's lead over Hathaway in my opinion...

Becuase you are the one who quoted my post and wrote Nothing you say makes any sense.

if I didn't write anything(in a forum post) then how your "brilliant" mind "
constructed sentence"---Nothing you say makes any sense?

Last edited:
Rick, just let it go, man. No need to get caught up in personal stuff (not that I'm consistent about this myself or anything lol).

Yeah, absolutely.

My favorite scene in Returns is easily when Bruce finds one of her cats in the snowy alley at the end. 'Come what may' under my name is from that scene. :hrt:

Recently rewatched it and was just very moved. It's my favorite ending to a Batman film so far, with Begins and The Dark Knight coming up close in a split second place. :up:

To be honest, the main reason I watch Returns is for Bruce / Selina's relationship. I never cared much for the Penguin stuff. Its Batman / Catwoman that keeps bringing me back.

To be honest, the main reason I watch Returns is for Bruce / Selina's relationship. I never cared much for the Penguin stuff. Its Batman / Catwoman that keeps bringing me back.

I loved the Penguin's reinvention as a kid; thought it was sad and more exciting, and I sympathized with him because I was also kind of a social outcast - but more of a hermitty Keaton-Wayne kind of outcast, I guess. Not noisy like Oswald. I saw the two of them as kindred spirits in that way, wished they could hug it out.

Alas... some people are too far gone to reach - including maybe even Selina. Bruce couldn't save either of them, and wound up alone. That tore me up at a young age.

As I went into my teens, I wound up ignoring Returns' Penguin as a corny mistake. Just rewatched it because I was entranced by Bruce/Selina, like you. That's most of my draw to The Dark Knight Rises too. The best scenes are the scenes where Bruce and Selina are sort of courting, and quietly sensing each other's pain.

But over the last week or so, after watching Danny DeVito and Tim Burton talk about their motivation and what they wanted to portray in a Behind the Scenes special, and reading Penguin: Pain and Prejudice (5-issue book that came out a couple months ago that was way awesome), I'm developing an appreciation for the poetry of him again.

It's weird how the process of growing up can play tricks on your mind. At least my mind. lol

I've come full circle though, and love the Penguin now. :yay:

I'll always have a soft spot for Michelle Pfeiffer but Anne Hathaway did a better job of capturing the Catwoman I know & love from the comics.

Agreed Panthro. In terms of characterisation I prefer TDKR's interpretation. With what we're given its pretty darn good. Thieving, expert actress - not just talking about Anne but in terms of being 'meek' to people in situations, and fast driving - Lambo and bat pod.

I am currently at a work training course, and believe it or not at dinner guys were talking about movies and TDKR came up. I was within earshot to hear one ask what they thought of Anne's Selina, and the response was "perfect". That put a smile on my face.

It didn't ruin anything that Nolan was constructing through previous movies. That doesn't make sense OutOfBoose.

It did. And I'll explain why.

And i didn't think she was any more over the top than the Joker or Batman himself.

Joker was just a psychopath criminal. His look is explained. Joker was probably the most grounded villain in the trilogy. I ignore Talia, because she barely existed, and she was poorly written and delivered.

Batman was carefully explained through the movies. There's only two things about him that can be considered over-the-top: the mask and the cape. But they make perfect sense in the story.

Catwoman. The only device, that makes sense, is her belt. Even the goggles were spoiled by the mask, that doesn't hide anything. Red lipstick make-up. What for? How does it help her in her job? Hip-high boots and long gloves? Again - what for? Just for eye-candy. Heels. Alright, it can be a dangerous weapon, but she barely uses it in the movie. Guns work so much better in her hands. Also, heels are incredible unpractical. Even with her agility. Costume is beautiful. But it doesn't work.

If you want a techie Catwoman, go for it. Skin-tight costume would make her sexy-enough, without those silly long gloves and hessian boots on stilettos. Give her practical footwear, a cowl, that hides her hair and identity, remove the lipstick, because it makes no sense. The belt - OK. The goggles - OK. And, if you really want to show her as a master of disguise, she can go classy on public. JUST LIKE IN THE COMICS.

If it turned into a joke when she wore the costume then you might as well say the same thing about Pfeiffer when she wore hers. I dont agree with that at all. For Michelle OR Anne.

No, I can't say the same about Michelle. Burton's Batman world was over-the-top from the very start. It had distinct style and Catwoman fit in it perfectly. With the rest of the crazy bunch. Nolan's Catwoman violates the rules of the trilogy. She's the only character, that lacks credibility. Sadly.

They are so different that I cant even compare the two honestly.

I think Two-Face was more of a "violation" of the realism than Catwoman.

This version of Catwoman had no reason to hide her identity...she was already a known criminal with a record. Beyond that, she is allowed to have her own sense of fashion and style as much as The Joker is without it violating anything.

And judging by her reaction to Batman's return on the news, you could easily imagine that she was somewhat inspired by Batman's theatricality herself.

Hathaway for me. Never liked Pfeiffer in the role much. Of course that movie was much worse than TDKR to me so that may be coloring my opinion.

I think Two-Face was more of a "violation" of the realism than Catwoman.

The extent of his scarring is yes. I think what OutOfBoose is saying is that we know why Batman dresses like a Bat with all his costume elements. We know why Crane wears the Scarecrow mask. We know why Joker has the scars and wears the clown make up. We know why Two Face used the coin. We know why Bane wore the mask etc.

There was a reason/validation for why those comic booky elements were there.The elements of Selina's Catwoman costume are there strictly for show and have no practical use, are not validated for being there, unlike most things in Nolan's Batman world.

At least I think that's the point he's making.

Last edited:
Everything she had was there for a purpose. Or most of it. What's the use of Jokers purple coat and purple gloves with green in his hair? Because that's his style, in the same way that Selina wears her red lipstick, hip-high boots and long gloves. It's her style.

You're still not making sense OutOfBoose. He's a clown, she's a cat. Everything else is practical and serves a purpose. You say she barely uses the high heels with the edges? She uses them quite a few times and all that matters is that she used them and it helped her in situations. Why did Joker carry a pencil if he was only gonna use it once? You're nitpicking.

Or most of it. What's the use of Jokers purple coat and purple gloves with green in his hair? Because that's his style

Yeah that's true because he's purposely giving off a creepy clown image and he's called the Joker. So he's going to dress accordingly for that.

Selina is never referred to as being Catwoman. We don't know why she has to wear that skin tight black costume or the domino mask to be a thief? What do the goggles do?

Don't get me wrong I loved Hathaway's look, but she is about the only character that isn't given any kind of validation for her comic booky elements like the others were.

Yeah that's true because he's purposely giving off a creepy clown image and he's called the Joker. So he's going to dress accordingly for that.

Selina is never referred to as being Catwoman. We don't know why she has to wear that skin tight black costume or the domino mask to be a thief? What do the goggles do?

Don't get me wrong I loved Hathaway's look, but she is about the only character that isn't given any kind of validation for her comic booky elements like the others were.

It's a basic spy/thief outfit. The cat ears are an 'incidental' nod. They never call her Catwoman because they never intended her to literally be a cat-based character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"