Comics Another hint for the possible return of 616 Ben Reilly

Citizen_Kaine said:
However there are ways of doing it right, most people seem to be hung up on the replacing of Peter Parker, fact is, the best thing about Reilly to me, was the sibling dynamic he had with Pete, and the interaction the two of them had together. Ben could eaisly be brought back in an manner that makes sense and keeps consistancy quality wise. Over in the Reilly thread, there was an incredible idea, regarding Ben showing up again and trying to bring Parker back to his street roots. Personally I thought the Scarlet Hood idea would be pay dirt, given the little amount of thought, Peter puts towards the guy who jumped in front of a glider for him. Just tone down the cloning (Osborn basically get Reilly, knowing he had a eventual trump card up his sleeve with), no brainwashing needed, Reilly escapes, and gets pissed of at Peter for ruining his own life, and not killing Osborn, or even caring about Reilly in the slightest.

The sibling dynamic was by far the coolest thing about Reilly imo too. Scarlet Hood would be pretty cool if Bucky and Jason Todd hadn't done it sooo recently. Ben's motive for revenge would actually make more sense cause Peter doesn't ever reminisce about Reilly in a title that isn't called Marvel Knights. Besides, Norman gets to kill Reilly and bang Gwen too and he's STILL alive? psssh. No respect.

Kool-Aid said:
**** JMS Norman DID NOT BANG GWEN!!! :mad:

Heh-heh. Ok, how about we both agree that Norman :-)gg:) never banged Gwen and that Ben never melted. :up:

:ww: These icon thingies are silly.

Me and my measly 24....correction...25 posts have no clue.

:spidey: :spidey: :daredevil :spidey:

MAXIMUM CLONAGE!!!!!

:spidey: : Hey! You're not a clone of me! You're Daredevil!
:daredevil : Actually...It's Darkdevil. Don't you read MC2? I'm your clone's son! :up: (gives a thumbs up sign)

*sigh* I'm bored.

:dew:
Ahh! I love new smilies, I love penguins, I love new penguin smilies!

That's a hint?

Just sounds to me like Quesada crappily avoiding a straight up question about the Scarlet Spider.

The regular universe Ben Reilly will never return. You know what? I take that back. As of RIGHT NOW, I doubt he'll return. I'm learning to never say never when it comes to things. But Quesada took the mask off of Spider-Man (which took some huge balls regardless of whether you like him or not). So, he could have the balls to bring back all the clone stuff.

Though...you bring back Ben Reilly....you bring back Baby May. You bring back The Jackal. You bring back Spidercide. You bring back Kaine. You bring back Scriers. You bring back everything that a lot of people wanted to forget about. You bring back a possibility of Peter being the clone again and Ben Reilly being the real deal. Or, you at least bring back those memories.

With Spider-Man unmasking. Civil War going on. The Avengers supposedly breaking up into two different factions, with the concieved Might Avengers and New Avengers. Do you really think that Marvel is going to bring back the Scarlet Spider? That'd overshadow everything else that they're doing right now.

Once again, I think it's for either the third or fourth time. Ultimate Spider-Man is currently doing the ULTIMATE CLONE SAGA! THERE IS AN ULTIMATE BEN REILLY! HE WAS IN THE CARNAGE ARC! HE STOLE THE SECOND BLOOD SAMPLE OF PETER PARKER! CHANCES ARE WE'RE GOING TO SEE HIM AGAIN!

So, technically, everything that Quesada has been "hinting" at with Ben Reilly wouldn't be a lie, and it'd be one of those crappy "Zings" that he likes to play on fans who REALLY think that it's possible for Ben Reilly to return.

But as I said, never say never with these bunch of misfits at Marvel.

SpideyInATree said:
That's a hint?

Just sounds to me like Quesada crappily avoiding a straight up question about the Scarlet Spider.

true

SpideyInATree said:
The regular universe Ben Reilly will never return. You know what? I take that back. As of RIGHT NOW, I doubt he'll return. I'm learning to never say never when it comes to things. But Quesada took the mask off of Spider-Man (which took some huge balls regardless of whether you like him or not). So, he could have the balls to bring back all the clone stuff.

The unmasking is way way way ballsier than bringing back Reilly. So was bringing back Bucky or Uncle Ben (especially an evil one).

SpideyInATree said:
Though...you bring back Ben Reilly....you bring back Baby May. You bring back The Jackal. You bring back Spidercide. You bring back Kaine. You bring back Scriers. You bring back everything that a lot of people wanted to forget about. You bring back a possibility of Peter being the clone again and Ben Reilly being the real deal. Or, you at least bring back those memories.

Not necessarily, I think Marvel would at the most would relegate their roles to memories and backstory that is hardly touched upon. Besides, the clone saga HAPPENED and it's about time Marvel stopped pretending.

SpideyInATree said:
With Spider-Man unmasking. Civil War going on. The Avengers supposedly breaking up into two different factions, with the concieved Might Avengers and New Avengers. Do you really think that Marvel is going to bring back the Scarlet Spider? That'd overshadow everything else that they're doing right now.

Once again, I think it's for either the third or fourth time. Ultimate Spider-Man is currently doing the ULTIMATE CLONE SAGA! THERE IS AN ULTIMATE BEN REILLY! HE WAS IN THE CARNAGE ARC! HE STOLE THE SECOND BLOOD SAMPLE OF PETER PARKER! CHANCES ARE WE'RE GOING TO SEE HIM AGAIN!

Yes you're probably correct. But let's speculate so that the bastards at marvel know what I wanna spend my hard-earned money on.

SpideyInATree said:
So, technically, everything that Quesada has been "hinting" at with Ben Reilly wouldn't be a lie, and it'd be one of those crappy "Zings" that he likes to play on fans who REALLY think that it's possible for Ben Reilly to return.

But as I said, never say never with these bunch of misfits at Marvel.

Is it really that implausible? It seems overdue in my opinion. :woot:

The question had to do with the 616 version not the Ultimate one.:confused:

Kool-Aid said:
The question had to do with the 616 version not the Ultimate one.:confused:

The question posed at the beginning of this thread, yes it was. And notice Quesada's usual "dance around the truth" answer.

But a few weeks ago somebody else asked him, "Will Ben Reilly ever return?" and he said, "Keep reading Spider-Man".

I'm pretty positive that he's talking about Ultimate Ben Reilly.

It's also a possibility that they could do a miniseries of past adventures of the Scarlet Spider/Ben Reilly in an "Untold Tales of Scarlet Spider" type of deal.

But I really don't see them bringing Ben Reilly back into the regular universe.

What? Didn't you guys know that he didn't die, when he "exploded" Ben Reilly was transported to the Skrull's home planet to be studied on.

MyPokerShirt said:
he degenerated. when people die and they go to dust so does their DNA. i.e. no DNA would be found.

Ya but maybe its wasnt your ordinary dust. Maybe is was a fail safe that the Jackel put into the Ben Reily clone just in case he met his demise. Instead of having normal remains, he turns into a substance that can retain his DNA and the clones momories so he can be brought back.

or perhaps the real ben wasn't a clone but was cloned by the jackel and implanted with the exact same memories to screw with peter in another of the goblins neffarious schemes. when it turns out peter's twin has been brain washed by the goblin, fake killed and then comes back with a bomb in his head peters going to be annoyed. turns out the red skull was involved aswell. ties into the whole totem stuff aswell. a gwen clone will probably turn up again. and we find out that mary jane has been a clone of the cameleon all these years.

drmick said:
Why not have him pop up in X-men in a time travel/alternate universe setting and then jump ship?

You know what? Sticking him in Exiles then having him crossover is probably the most logical way to do it without having to retcon a whole bunch of stuuff. :up:

i've heard people complain about the number of times wolverine pops up in exiles when it's supposed to focus on lesser characters but spider-man? sheeeesh, he's been everywhere.

besides alt reality versions popping up now and again we had one of the main weapon x characters: the spider and now we've got the exiles member: spider-man 2099 (who's been unmasked in his world, rather eerily)

so another spider-man in exiles?? doesnt matter if it's ben reilly they can't do that...

shinlyle said:
I get the whole "incomplete/complete" thing. I just don't care.

Let's look at the explanation neccesary if the clone that died WAS Ben"

He wasn't complete, and, like many of the Jackal's other clones, died after it served it's purpose...or maybe clone bodies don't take to being impaled and dropped from a building, and the clone body burnt itself out while trying to repair itself. Whatever. If he died, then Spider-man #75 was authentic, and bringing him back is stupid.

If the clone we saw die WASN'T Ben, then what explanation have we got?

1-He was put into a dormant state by Osborn to be brainwashed and sent after Spidey at a later date (lame).

2-Ben escaped from Osborn's clutches off panel, and set loose another clone with a limited lifespan so that he could assume a life all his own in parts unknown so that Peter wouldn't seek him out or worry about him. (equally lame, due to the fact that Ben, being a clone, would never create another clone).

3-Ben is angry at Spidey for failing to save the imperfect clone, and wants vengence for all his fallen clone brothers. (LAME)

There are tons more explanations, but the point is this: Ben died a hero, and he clearly died. He could be brought back, and it could be explained away, but it would ruin the character in some way shape or form.

He'd dead, and, while I know Quesada would be the *****ebag to bring him back, he should be left dead and buried...or blown into the wind, as it were.
:up:

No more clones. Ever.

The only one I'd accept returning is Kaine.

Even then I'd give it a heavy handed sigh.

I'm not intent on dealing with Ben Reilly as cool as he was personality wise..he still isn't spider-man, and really doesn't deserve a place in Spider-Man's life.

People will argue he was a brother figure that Peter never had.

True. And I enjoyed reading their Spidey to Spidey relationship as it was written. That was done very well. They truly cared for one another and even had nerdy-ass sibling rivalry.

But honestly, Peter doesn't need Ben. At all. The stories don't need him. Leave him dead and un-disturbed.

Peter already has a brother figure in the super-hero world anyways.

His name is Johnny Storm.

Oh wait....I think Marvel forgot about that.

I wonder if there would be so much resistance to a Ben Reilly return if he had never been "revealed" to be the "real" Parker. I don't think there would be half the controversy and it would be considered a very popular era in Spider-Man comics. I hear people all the time talk about how they're "supposed to hate the Clone Saga" even though they've "never read it". It's the hottest and touchiest topic in all of Spider-Man and it's in the back of most Spider-fan's minds. There's no way that it can be ignored in the comics forever. NO WAY. They'd be fools to ignore it forever because it's a money maker. Even Clone Haters will buy it just to see what happens. The real question is when and how is Ben Reilly gonna come back. Besides, the people who are citing Ben's death as unrevivable (real word? probably not) are clutching onto thin straws (or dust :cwink: ). The huge gap between his defeat by Norman and his death is grounds enough besides the obvious fact that dead clones DON'T turn to dust.

Won '08 said:
But honestly, Peter doesn't need Ben. At all. The stories don't need him. Leave him dead and un-disturbed.

What stories are you reading? Well, Peter doesn't NEED anybody. I'm an MJ fan but he doesn't NEED MJ in order to have a good story. He doesn't need Aunt May, Gwen, the Bugle, web cartridges, or a mask. All he needs is Amazing Fantasy 15 right? A sense of responsibility and a B-list villian. (oh, and TPB's. You gotta have the TPB) Yay. Boring. The fact of the matter is that YOU don't need Reilly, which is perfectly fine.

Who cares if his return is kinda lame. That's usually one of the symptoms of coming back from the dead. It's a freaking comic book. Besides, Ben's excuse for returning would hardly be lamer than almost every other ressurection. Superboy-Prime punching Hypertime? Wanda's God Powers? Phoenix Force? Goblin Formula (relatively not that bad)?

The Ben that died was an incomplete clone that was created by the mastermind of the ENTIRE clone saga. It's not that implausible by comic book standards. I mean, c'mon! Winter Soldier? Red Hood? Bucky and Jason Todd were way more sacred to their own comics than Reilly ever was. So how would bringing Reilly back be so detrimental to the 616?

Oh wait, I forgot about how cool the Other was. Oh and Sins Past too. Ooooo, and unmasked Spidey! YAY! Jeez, what was I thinking? Bringing Ben back would ruin all of this. Silly me.:rolleyes:

freemadison said:
I wonder if there would be so much resistance to a Ben Reilly return if he had never been "revealed" to be the "real" Parker. I don't think there would be half the controversy and it would be considered a very popular era in Spider-Man comics. I hear people all the time talk about how they're "supposed to hate the Clone Saga" even though they've "never read it". It's the hottest and touchiest topic in all of Spider-Man and it's in the back of most Spider-fan's minds. There's no way that it can be ignored in the comics forever. NO WAY. They'd be fools to ignore it forever because it's a money maker. Even Clone Haters will buy it just to see what happens. The real question is when and how is Ben Reilly gonna come back. Besides, the people who are citing Ben's death as unrevivable (real word? probably not) are clutching onto thin straws (or dust :cwink: ). The huge gap between his defeat by Norman and his death is grounds enough besides the obvious fact that dead clones DON'T turn to dust.

What stories are you reading? Well, Peter doesn't NEED anybody. I'm an MJ fan but he doesn't NEED MJ in order to have a good story. He doesn't need Aunt May, Gwen, the Bugle, web cartridges, or a mask. All he needs is Amazing Fantasy 15 right? A sense of responsibility and a B-list villian. (oh, and TPB's. You gotta have the TPB) Yay. Boring. The fact of the matter is that YOU don't need Reilly, which is perfectly fine.

Who cares if his return is kinda lame. That's usually one of the symptoms of coming back from the dead. It's a freaking comic book. Besides, Ben's excuse for returning would hardly be lamer than almost every other ressurection. Superboy-Prime punching Hypertime? Wanda's God Powers? Phoenix Force? Goblin Formula (relatively not that bad)?

The Ben that died was an incomplete clone that was created by the mastermind of the ENTIRE clone saga. It's not that implausible by comic book standards. I mean, c'mon! Winter Soldier? Red Hood? Bucky and Jason Todd were way more sacred to their own comics than Reilly ever was. So how would bringing Reilly back be so detrimental to the 616?

Oh wait, I forgot about how cool the Other was. Oh and Sins Past too. Ooooo, and unmasked Spidey! YAY! Jeez, what was I thinking? Bringing Ben back would ruin all of this. Silly me.:rolleyes:
Sorry guy. You're reaching for straws. You're desperately searching for justification to bring back a dead gag character.

Yes, Ben was developed well, and yes he was "cool". But he simply does not belong in the stories of Peter Parker's life. No more. After the debacle that was the CLone Saga passed I realized the mistakes that were made and in all honesty they need not be made again. Going backwards with ben would be extremely pointless.

"Clones don't turn into dust!"

Cmon. Different artist, different renditions. But thats neither here or there in this situation.

In all honesty....Ben Reilly was a product of a clone saga gone wrong. His death was epic to me, andj ust like they ruined Aunt May's passing....they would ruin his within his return. It brings a complete end to his story, as it should stay.

Why does Spider-Man need Ben Reilly?

He doesn't.

Why does marvel need to consider his return?

They don't.

Like I said. The sibling factor was established between Peter and Johnny long ago...it's just a shame Marvel's current panel would avoid displaying such a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"