Ant-Man (2015): Rotten Tomatoes Watch/Predictions - Part 1

I get into these multi-page arguments because I sometimes have opinions that are different from the majority and I like to articulate what I think fully, and a lot of the time folks around here are extremely hostile towards minority opinions, so it escalates quickly.

Please. Everyone goes against the grain sometimes. I dealt with a massive amount of crap over my dislike of Ultron but I didn't get embroiled in huge sweeping epic arcs of internet anger-fests. Nobody is picking on you because of your opinions, they're angry because you talk down to them.

I write big because I have a lot of ideas. That's not going to change.

Hopefully the tone and attitude will, then.

Last edited:
Please. Everyone goes against the grain sometimes. I dealt with a massive amount of crap over my dislike of Ultron but I didn't get embroiled in huge sweeping epic arcs of internet anger-fests. Nobody is picking on you because of your opinions, they're angry because you talk down to them.

The thing is, though, I really don't think that I do talk down to them. I explain myself in excruciating detail and at great length, because I have a lot of ideas and there's a lot to the things that I talk about, but I never talk to people assuming that they're stupid, and I almost never go in for personal jabs. I do, however, get frustrated with people who I perceive as treating other people poorly. That can be a problem sometimes, and I do try to remedy it.

But ultimately, I think that there's a big difference between condescension and talking about ideas that you have conviction in at great length.

I don't think my tone is a causal factor. I think my disagreements evolve into this pretty huge back and froths because I go at great length and because I try to explore every detail of the issue. And, of course, sometimes they're very heated because myself and the other party fundamentally disagree. All that can get perceived as condescension, but I kind of think it gets perceived that way unfairly.

All that being said…

Hopefully the tone and attitude will, then.

Can you point to a concrete detail of my tone or attitude you think is problematic? Maybe you're right, and if you are I'm willing to look at it.

Last edited:
You know what I was just thinking? I'd really like to see an argument between The Question and Marvin. I think that would be epic. It would probably break Thread Manager. LOL.

You know what I was just thinking? I'd really like to see an argument between The Question and Marvin. I think that would be epic. It would probably break Thread Manager. LOL.

It's occurred at least once as far as I know. I wasn't around on the Hype in the days leading upto Man of Steel, so when news was slow before Comic Con, I went back to the Man of Steel discussion at the time of the movie's release. There you will find a treasure chest of discussion between The Question and Marvin. :cwink:

It would be better to take all that energy for writing and do something productive/creative with it. Jabbering on endlessly about random BS in a forum for a successful movie that most people enjoyed (80% on RT) doesnt do much in the long run. We get it The Question, you can write a lot of words and sometimes make an actual point. We're all very proud of ya.

Why not write a 10,000 word letter to Edgar Wright or something? That would be cool!

This dropped to 79% since last night, looks like one rotten was added.

After seeing it today, I can see the problems people would have. As a big Edgar Wright fan, you can see it all over it, and while Reed did a very good job, it is a bit like a pale imitation. That being said, I think it is a very good film, with a sharp script (thank you Edgar and Cornish), great performances, good action and a lot of laughs. Might be my second favorite Marvel film.

This movie is better than anything Edgar Wright ever did.

Good ridance. I loved this movie.

It deserves at least an 85% on RT. Hopefully it can settle somewhere in the 80's.

It deserves at least an 85% on RT. Hopefully it can settle somewhere in the 80's.

I find most of his movies boring. Except for Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, which I liked a lot.

I think that Edgar Wright's films are the perfect comedies, and love all of them. Ant-Man is very good, but I would say Edgar Wright's films are better.

Well, I completely disagree. "Hot Fuzz" and "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" are two of the 11 best films I have seen the last decade, and "The World's End" and "Shaun of the Dead" are both also terrific. I'd take them all but "Shaun of the Dead" over Ant-Man. And I wouldn't really say "good riddance". You have his script to thank for this film even existing. :yay:

You also clearly have no idea how RT works. :funny:

Well, I completely disagree. "Hot Fuzz" and "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" are two of the 11 best films I have seen the last decade, and "The World's End" and "Shaun of the Dead" are both also terrific. I'd take them all but "Shaun of the Dead" over Ant-Man. And I wouldn't really say "good riddance". You have his script to thank for this film even existing. :yay:

You also clearly have no idea how RT works. :funny:

Well I'm willing to bet the vast majority of people wouldn't have a single Edgar Wright movie in their top 11 films of the last decade let alone two. His movies are very niche so there's little to suggest Wright's Ant-Man would have been better recieved by the broad target audience.

Also it's funny how the Edgar Wright fans want to take credit for everything that works in Ant-Man knowing that if the movie was panned Peyton Reed would get FULL credit. :funny:

And how does saying Ant-Man deserve a 85% suggest I don't understand how RT works? :loco:

Well I'm willing to bet the vast majority of people wouldn't have a single Edgar Wright movie in their top 11 films of the last decade let alone two. His movies are very niche so there's little to suggest Wright's Ant-Man would have been better recieved by the broad target audience.
Probably. Though most film fans, industry folk and critics seem to think he is pretty terrific. Scorsese is niche too, as was Orson Welles. Doesn't change their quality.

Also it's funny how the Edgar Wright fans want to take credit for everything that works in Ant-Man knowing that if the movie was panned Peyton Reed would get FULL credit. :funny:

And how does saying Ant-Man deserve a 85% suggest I don't understand how RT works? :loco:
Everything that works? I think Peyton Reed did a very good job, all things considered. But considering the story and script, pretty clear this was an Edgar Wright film, that lost a bit of its edge. You do realize Wright and Cornish wrote the film right? They changed things, but they didn't rewrite the scipt. They didn't have the time. The movie actually kind of reminds me of American Hustle, which I am also a big fan of. That was O'Russell doing his Scorsese impression. Very good imo, but he is no Scorsese.

As to RT. Suggesting a film deserves a percentage of critics like a film suggest you don't understand how RT works. You think 6% more critics should like it why? Why not 15, 20? :funny:

Wtf is up with all these rottens right now?

Yeah I wouldnt pick any Wright film over the Marvel movies. I think hes made some decent comedies but nothing Id actually choose over my favorite MCU films in a list, including Ant Man. This isnt in regards to some dislike of Wright, this is honestly based on my own taste in movies.

Last edited:
David Morrissey said you can't judge a film on what it would be with another director while talking about Ant-Man with Robbie Kaye while sitting in for Kermode & Mayo on BBC Film Review show

We already know that Marvel isnt against the offbeat or far out ideas but you have to make a coherent movie that fits in with the MCU. Wrights storyline just wasnt working or he wouldve jumped right into production. They had to fix his stuff up to fit, it sucks but thats the facts.

Probably. Though most film fans, industry folk and critics seem to think he is pretty terrific. Scorsese is niche too, as was Orson Welles. Doesn't change their quality.

Everything that works? I think Peyton Reed did a very good job, all things considered. But considering the story and script, pretty clear this was an Edgar Wright film, that lost a bit of its edge. You do realize Wright and Cornish wrote the film right? They changed things, but they didn't rewrite the scipt. They didn't have the time. The movie actually kind of reminds me of American Hustle, which I am also a big fan of. That was O'Russell doing his Scorsese impression. Very good imo, but he is no Scorsese.

This movie was not an Edgar Wright knock off. It felt closer to a more humorous and experimental Iron Man movie. Edgar wright is no Scorsese. Scorsese makes classic films anyone can appreciate. Edgar Wright makes movies for Edgar Wright fans and few others.

As to RT. Suggesting a film deserves a percentage of critics like a film suggest you don't understand how RT works. You think 6% more critics should like it why? Why not 15, 20? :funny:

What?

If Avengers, TDK and Winter Soldier only recieved 75% on RT there's absolutely nothing wrong with saying those movies deserve at least a 90%.

Think of RT scores as an overall grade.

I think Ant Man, at the very least, is a solid B. Not merely a C+.

There's nothing wrong with that.

After seeing it today, I can see the problems people would have. As a big Edgar Wright fan, you can see it all over it, and while Reed did a very good job, it is a bit like a pale imitation. That being said, I think it is a very good film, with a sharp script (thank you Edgar and Cornish), great performances, good action and a lot of laughs. Might be my second favorite Marvel film.

Um, why would you thank Edgar and Cornish for a script that was completely rewritten and reworked by McKay and Rudd? That makes no sense

Marvel did, by giving them a story credit. We know the script wasn't entirely rewritten from scratch and a fair amount of Wright & Cornish original material made it to the screen.

I would say I like Ant-Man, Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead more or less equally. Didn't care for World's End and I'd choose a crippling hammer blow to the knee over sitting through Scott Pilgrim again.

The only parts kept from Edgar are the heist angle, the mentor angle and old Pym. The dialogue is clearly from McKay and Rudd. Reed and McKay also added the 2 coolest parts of the film. The only reason they got a story credit is because they were too far along in pre-production to drastically change everything which I'm willing to bet they would have done if they had the opportunity

What's really funny is that back when EW left Ant-Man, all of his fans went on and on for months how the movie would suck and it would be Marvel's undoing. Now that Ant-Man has been released and most everyone agrees that it is good, those same fans are saying it is because of EW's early involvement, or course. :whatever:

"The only parts kept from Edgar are the heist angle, the mentor angle and old Pym."

But that's the basic skeleton of the entire picture. Imo there was enough of Edgar's influence in the finished film to make the story credit reasonable. McKay and Rudd still get the script nod. No one is denying them their part.

It would be better to take all that energy for writing and do something productive/creative with it. Jabbering on endlessly about random BS in a forum for a successful movie that most people enjoyed (80% on RT) doesnt do much in the long run. We get it The Question, you can write a lot of words and sometimes make an actual point. We're all very proud of ya.

Why not write a 10,000 word letter to Edgar Wright or something? That would be cool!

... and I'm the condescending one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"