Ant-Man (2015): Rotten Tomatoes Watch/Predictions - Part 1

I think giving Wright any credit at all was a totally nice thing to do on Marvels part, you know they easily couldve just not even done that in the end.

Question: I was serious! :lmao:

Question: I was serious! :lmao:

I never said you weren't.

But my point remains. People accuse me of being condescending, but they let your comments slide.

What's the problem, man? What do you have against me?

"The only parts kept from Edgar are the heist angle, the mentor angle and old Pym."

But that's the basic skeleton of the entire picture. Imo there was enough of Edgar's influence in the finished film to make the story credit reasonable. McKay and Rudd still get the script nod. No one is denying them their part.

I never said it wasn't, I responded to a person trying to give credit for the script to Edgar and Cornish. The comedy and pace of the film were clearly all McKay and Rudd.

What's really funny is that back when EW left Ant-Man, all of his fans went on and on for months how the movie would suck and it would be Marvel's undoing. Now that Ant-Man has been released and most everyone agrees that it is good, those same fans are saying it is because of EW's early involvement, or course. :whatever:

Those people are curmudgeons.

David Morrissey said you can't judge a film on what it would be with another director while talking about Ant-Man with Robbie Kaye while sitting in for Kermode & Mayo on BBC Film Review show
I just went to have a listen to that, I thought David Morrissey would be just a movie reviewer that shared the actors name, but it was in fact actor. Ha! The Governor himself.

This movie was not an Edgar Wright knock off. It felt closer to a more humorous and experimental Iron Man movie. Edgar wright is no Scorsese. Scorsese makes classic films anyone can appreciate. Edgar Wright makes movies for Edgar Wright fans and few others.

What?

If Avengers, TDK and Winter Soldier only recieved 75% on RT there's absolutely nothing wrong with saying those movies deserve at least a 90%.

Think of RT scores as an overall grade.

I think Ant Man, at the very least, is a solid B. Not merely a C+.

There's nothing wrong with that
You clearly don't know how Rotten Tomatoes works if that's what you think.
I think giving Wright any credit at all was a totally nice thing to do on Marvels part, you know they easily couldve just not even done that in the end.
Actually, I'm pretty sure they have to credit him. It wasn't just a kind gesture on their part.

You clearly don't know how Rotten Tomatoes works if that's what you think.

I'm not saying the RT rating is decided the same way as an academic letter grade but you can easily attach a letter grade to the scores to assess quality.

To me, the critical consesus is something like this:

TDK, Avengers, Spider-man 2 and GotG deserve an A grade.

X2, TDKR, and First Class deserve a B grade.

and Superman Returns, Amazing Spider-man, Thor and Iron Man 2 deserve a C grade.

It's perfectly reasonable to view the RT rating this way even if that's not determined the same way an academic grade is.

Last edited:
It's actually rather eerie how the RT percentages line up with a films (supposed) quality. Given that it's based on a somewhat arbitrary up/down vote average

One more til 80%...if anyone's still counting...

I'm not saying the RT rating is decided the same way as an academic letter grade but you can easily attach a letter grade to the scores to assess quality.

To me, the critical consesus is something like this:

TDK, Avengers, Spider-man 2 and GotG deserve an A grade.

X2, TDKR, and First Class deserve a B grade.

and Superman Returns, Amazing Spider-man, Thor and Iron Man 2 deserve a C grade.

It's perfectly reasonable to view the RT rating this way even if that's not determined the same way an academic grade is.

lines up pretty well I suppose
but there's no way Cap:TWS only gets a B+

It's actually rather eerie how the RT percentages line up with a films (supposed) quality. Given that it's based on a somewhat arbitrary up/down vote average

Not really. Any given reviewers vote is subject to a lot of biases and uncertainties; the best way to get to the truth is to take a whole lot of said individual, noisy votes, and aggregate them. It filters out the bias and noise, and your left with something approaching fact.

Its not perfect, because there's no way for the system to filter out certain systemic level biases ( critics: critic culture; users: self-selection ), but its a lot better than nothing.

So, I guess the top 5 best Marvel Studios movies according to Rotten Tomatoes are:

1) Iron Man - 94%
2) The Avengers - 92%
3) Guardians of the Galaxy - 91%
4) Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 89%
5) Ant-Man - 80%

So, I guess the top 5 best Marvel Studios movies according to Rotten Tomatoes are:

1) Iron Man - 94%
2) The Avengers - 92%
5) Ant-Man - 80%

Continuing with this list:
6 & 7 ) Captain America TFA and Iron Man 3 - 79%
8) Thor - 77%
9) Avengers AoU - 74%
10) Iron Man 2 - 72 %
11) TIH - 67%
12) Thor: TDW - 66%

That's a pretty solid track record.

OH back at 80%! Great.

1) Iron Man - 94%
2) The Avengers - 92%
5) Ant-Man - 80%

I'm comfortable with that ranking.

So, the average RT score for the MCU would be 80% each for all 12 MCU films.

That is a solid track record for any studio. No rotten scores either. Well done, Marvel Studios.

Back to 79%. This last reviewer looked like he just wanted to really submit a rotten review.

Continuing with this list:
6 & 7 ) Captain America TFA and Iron Man 3 - 79%
8) Thor - 77%
9) Avengers AoU - 74%
10) Iron Man 2 - 72 %
11) TIH - 67%
12) Thor: TDW - 66%

That's a pretty solid track record.

AoU would be way higher if it was for me.

And another "boo hoo it isn't Ed Wright's movie Marvel sucks" review added yesterday. :whatever:

Back to 79%. This last reviewer looked like he just wanted to really submit a rotten review.

Didn't the same thing happen to Winter Soldier? Some guy hanging back and submitting a canned bad review to take it from 90% to 89%?

Does the WB still own RT?

Didn't the same thing happen to Winter Soldier? Some guy hanging back and submitting a canned bad review to take it from 90% to 89%?

Does the WB still own RT?

Meh, two really Rotten Rottens came in back to back. Not really respectable opinions, but three fresh came in right after it. Looks like it's getting one of those weird late handful of reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"