Box Office Predictions - Part 1

Discussion in 'Ant-Man' started by Thread Manager, Jul 25, 2015.

1. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Ooooohhhhh....I like you.

2. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

100M is a very, very respectable number. As is 500M.....wish I had that bank.

3. SomeOldGuy Registered

Heck I'd take $500 in the bank about now lol.

China Saturday estimate is $4.9 million, so it will definitely hit $100 million Sunday. Apparently loses most of its screens Tuesday tho so this is its last hurrah.

Domestic estimate now ip to $179,324,944, which would mean about $300k for the weekend, an increase over the $230k last weekend. Go dollar theaters!

4. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

So what? Another week or so for it to pass XO:W?

5. Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

I was hoping this thing would hit $180M DOM but hasn't yet. I wonder how this thing would have done in the fall instead of a crowded summer. I'm surprised it did as well as it did.

6. SomeOldGuy Registered

I'd say 2-3 weeks, if it gets to hang around in discount theaters that long.

7. SomeOldGuy Registered

@BoxOffice: ANT-MAN: $334.5M Overseas Total / $513.7M Global Total #AntMan

$102 million in China after Sunday. Domestic estimate dropped by $100k tho. So it doesn't look good for beating Wolverine.

8. The Whizzer Registered

It's amazing that this was even a possibility. I was heavy into comics in the 90s so I remember how ubiquitous Wolverine was. This is bonkers.

9. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

Ant-man making more dough than Wolverine. Geez.
    And to think, back in the days before Iron Man came out, everyone laughed at Marvel for forming their own studio, producing their own films, and having an inter-connected film universe.

10. Lilbaz Registered

That's not mentioning the troubles this film had being produced. After wright left not many thought it would do well.

11. MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

Marvel has come a long way from selling the rights to their characters for pennies to avoid bankruptcy to releasing seven movies in a row that each make half a billion at the box office.

No other studio has that level of consistency. Marvel today is the envy of Hollywood.

12. Lilbaz Registered

Hopefully it can keep on improving. Learning from previous mistakes. 3 of the last 4 films have been excellent (aou was a bit disappointing), if they can keep this up i will be very happy.

13. Shakel92 Registered

I really liked AoU. It is a great CBM, just not at the same level as the first film. Ant Man was top notch. I can't wait to watch it again.

14. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I actually liked AoU better. They were different and we all have our likes.

15. seriesofdreams Registered

Can we just round that domestic number to $180, please.... :)

16. Spiderdevil Registered

I remember one of the guys from Marvel saying they were sending out packets containing information and comics of Iron man to dozens and dozens of writers begging them to write a Iron Man movie and everybody kept passing

They took a huge loan to produce Iron Man and Incredible Hulk, and Iron Man went into production without a script, with a lead who was considered washed out, they had to improvise a lot of dialogues because none were written!

And from that we have now come to the most successful franchise of all times, both critically and financially, well done to Marvel and Kevin Feige, also Avi Arad did good work in the initial days(I know you guys hate him though)

17. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Avi Arad has talked about trying to sell the rights to make a Spider-Man movie to all the major studios in Hollywood. Arad would tell studio execs Spider-Man rights was worth millions and they would laugh him out of their office.

18. terry78 He will eat YOU... if you are wrong

All it takes is for one guy to do something and make a mint, and it snowballs into everybody else wanting in.

19. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

I agree. I liked AoU better than any other phase 2 MCU film with the lone exception of TWS(I give them both a tie, basically). Those 2 are the only phase 2 films that I thought were genuinely great(meaning I gave at least a 9/10 to them). After that I'd say Ant-Man was the next best phase 2 films with IM3 and GotG tied behind that and then Thor2 as the weakest of phase 2.

Out of their 12 movies I'd say 5 of them are genuinely great movies(both Cap films, both Avengers films and IM1). The rest range from decently good(TIH, TtDW) to really good(Ant-Man, IM2).

#844 kedrell, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  20. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

His mismanagement of the Spider-man franchise is to blame for that.

21. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

That's Hollywood...hell, that's the whole world in a nutshell. Nay-saying is easy which is why it's so common. Being a true visionary is hard.

22. SoNicRaDiATioN Registered

Guardians is a great CBM. Some may not like the degree humor or were disappointed by Ronan, but in terms of overall characterization and visual expression (and overall hilarity), it's definitely one of the greatest achievements the studio has had to this point. In fact you could make the argument it's the most important achievement and has the most hardcore fan base....

#847 SoNicRaDiATioN, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  23. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

My biggest gripe with GotG(and I liked it just fine, BTW) is the same thing that's always kept me from giving a **** about Star Wars or Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica: I just don't relate to outer space properties well. Never have and I doubt I ever will. It's too alien an environment/setting IMO and that's a key aspect for me getting immersed and caring about the story I'm watching. At least GotG has those loose connections to the rest of the MCU(which I adore) so that helps it a bit. But the odds are those movies will never be my top favorites.

24. SoNicRaDiATioN Registered

Fair enough, I just wanted to point out the impact that Guardians made across the board. Objectively, it's definitely one of Marvel Studios greatest achievements (quality + unexpected impact), possibly it's greatest.

25. MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

The Avengers was Marvel Studio's biggest game changer.

After that no MCU film made less than 500 m WW. The franchise officially became a pop culture phenomenon overnight.