Ant-Man and the Wasp - Box Office Discussion

Quite unlikely I have to say.

Hard yes , unlikely i dont think so.

The sequel to infinity war is poised for success. It can easily outgross it.

I dont think a combined 1.9 bil is a hard target for Cpt Marvel and Spiderman FFH.

Even if it misses, it won’t be by a huge amount I wouldn’t have thought. All 3 films should be big next year rather than having one support film.

Even if it misses, it won’t be by a huge amount I wouldn’t have thought. All 3 films should be big next year rather than having one support film.

I thought FFH was going to be out until 2020. Am I wrong?

Hard yes , unlikely i dont think so.

The sequel to infinity war is poised for success. It can easily outgross it.

I dont think a combined 1.9 bil is a hard target for Cpt Marvel and Spiderman FFH.
I think the exact opposite. Well time will tell.

I thought FFH was going to be out until 2020. Am I wrong?
No its July 2019 , two months after Avengers 4. Three movies next year just like this year. Cpt Marvel 1st in March then Avengers 4 in May then SpiderMan in July. Nothing changed.
I think the exact opposite. Well time will tell.
What makes you think that ?

Will it be a surprise if Avengers 4 makes 2 bil ?

Will SpiderMan FFH be the first solo character sequel that earns less than the previous movie ? Homecoming did 880 mil.

Cpt Marvel will be a cultural thing just like Wonder Woman and Black Panther.
Who would have gueesed WW would gross 822 mil and Black Panther 1347 mil ?
Dont you think Cpt Marvel can do 800-1000 mil ?

I think it will be very close.
-/+ 150 mil within the 4 bil mark.

3,5 bil is pretty much an easy goal.

I very much doubt that they'll make $4 billion next year. They did it this year because Black Panther was an unexpected $1.3 billion surprise (And I suspect that Black Panther 2 won't repeat that phenomenon, and will come in with a smaller take). One which won't be repeated next year. Not with Spider-Man or Captain Marvel.

I'm absolutely positive that that Avengers 4 will not only make $2 billion, but will outdo Infinity War, but they still need to make about $1.9 billion to hit $4 billion. And it's highly unlikely that both Spider-Man and Captain Marvel will hit that mark. I think they'll ballpark around $800-$900 million, which still leaves them $100-300 million short.

yeah captain marvel will be on the small scale like antman i see about 200mill domestic and 550 to 600 ww spiderman could hit a billion if the villain is good

yeah captain marvel will be on the small scale like antman i see about 200mill domestic and 550 to 600 ww spiderman could hit a billion if the villain is good

I think you are vastly underestimating Captain Marvel, but as with everything else, time will tell.

I expect both FFH and CM to outdo AM&W which was always intended as more of a support film rather than a leader. Neither will come close to BP and will do well to get $800-900m, but if they do get $900m each then that leaves an attainable, even though difficult target for Avengers 4. Plus I think there is a slight chance that CM goes a bit crazy if they get everything right.

Ant-Man and the Wasp Week 10 complete.

Dn0gqWm.png

2twKEYM.png

CfS90tx.png

OS tops 400. That should be about it for milestones. China run is done and it’s down to just 365 screens domestically. Japan has a little left, so it might get over 620. In any case, nice little run.

Domestic: $215,410,791 34.9%
+ Foreign: $401,600,000 65.1%
= Worldwide: $617,010,791

^ Yeah nice run indeed. Marvel execs should be very pleased.

AM3 will happen at some point.

Keep the budget at 150 mil and its golden.

They might also target a release date outside of the competitive Summer movie season, which would be no bad thing.

Overall, a healthy performer that had a number of obstacles against it. Good stuff.

Not a bad number but I was really hoping for the $650-$700 range. Would have beat both Iron Man 2 and Thor 2.

Spider-Man's numbers will count for Sony not Marvel.

For those still keeping score, actuals after the weekend:

Domestic: $215,808,434 34.8%
+ Foreign: $404,388,941 65.2%
= Worldwide: $620,197,375

They really LOVE the Ant-Man movies.

EDIT:

From reedit:
Finished around 23 million admissions making it the fifth most attended superhero movie in China's history

Nice, I missed that China note. Again, A third film would be an obvious choice for a first Chinese co-production. But even if they don’t go that far they’d clearly be dumb not to look for ways to leverage the characters’ popularity there.

Picked up another $1.2 million over the past week.

Domestic: $216,154,693 34.8%
+ Foreign: $405,246,936 65.2%
= Worldwide: $621,401,629

I don't know why they'd need a co-production. Thes numbers are better then a lot of other "franchise" films out there. Even if the #'s stay the same in the US, you know it'll grow overseas even more. I'd be shocked if we don't get a third film.

The benefit of a co-production is that you get better treatment by the Chinese film authorities. This usually includes longer windows, more theaters, better release dates and a bigger cut of the BO. All that equals more money. If that means this franchise could be circa $200 million or more in China alone (and you can argue AM&TW would have easily topped 150 had not its legs been chopped off in the second weekend) I think you have to look at it.

This movie performed great at the BO. I hope they reward Reed and the crew with another sequel somewhere down the line. With Rudd's appearance in A4 and possibly Quantum Realm elements in play, this can only spell good news for further Am and Wasp mythos.

Similar to how Doctor Strange and his mystic arts may have piqued the interest of the unfamiliar in IW in anticipation of his sequel, I think AM and the QR can have that same benefit in Avengers 4.

So it's looking like a $100+ million gain over the first movie with only like a $20-30 million increase in budget. That's not a bad ratio for them to get on a movie like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"