Ant-Man and the Wasp Official User Review Thread - SPOILERS

This was the first time I’ve seen a major film like this start with a recap of the last one, and honestly it was a horrible way to start the film out. Showing Hank and Janet in the past was fine, but having him narrate it to his daughter was a terrible decision. It completely stalls the narrative when it should be starting up and getting you hooked. Could they not figure out a better way to remind people about Hope’s lost mother?

Scott’s the odd man out. Everyone else is acting there heart out, while he’s obviously in a comedy and hamming it up. Not a single genuine reaction from him in the entire movie. With him most likely having a big part to play in Avengers 4, this is kind of worrying.

New characters aren’t fleshed out enough to empathize with. Every time there’s something that needs explaining or background, the movie always tells instead of shows. Fishburne and Pfieffer are wasted, and Ghost’s reversal is too sudden given the extremes she was willing to go to just a few minutes before. Also, her costume sucked.

None of the actions scenes felt special, or showed ingenuity like the first film. Almost all of it

Also didn’t like that the plot basically boiled down to “hot potato” with the lab. If you take that out, the film would be under thirty minutes. And the dusting has lost any emotional impact it might’ve had when they continue to “kill” characters you know have no chance of staying dead.

Other than that the film overall was less disappointing than the last one (I don’t think I’ll ever be able to watch that it and not think about Edgar Wright and what could’ve been). Still enjoy what Christophe Beck does with the score, and the CGI looked more polished than most MCU films (aside from the de-aging, which somehow looked worse than the previous movie). Douglas and Lilly are great in their roles, and it’s nice to see a superhero actually have a family life.

I’d give it a 5/10, but there’s nothing wrong with that score to me. It was a decent time at the movies, but I doubt I’ll ever watch it again.

None of the actions scenes felt special, or showed ingenuity like the first film. Almost all of it

That one of my biggest complains. There was a missing of a real 3rd act for me. The pursuit in the cars would be a fine 2nd Action sequence but the final? :csad:

Far from a great film, but that's a pretty biased review. It never had a chance with you.

I'm not the biggest MCU fan, I've never made any bones about that. Overall, I'm not a fan of the overly comedic approach to some of their movies, and I outright dislike the GoTG films.

But so what? As I said, I didn't hate A&TW. I didn't even dislike it, just felt it was forgettable fluff aimed primarily at children. Nothing wrong with that.

Just loved this movie...maybe even more than the first and that could be considered an instant classic in terms of origin stories.

Ant-Man and the Wasp is by far the best movie I've seen this summer. It's been a BAD cinema season with The Rock's latest asinine romp and Jurassic World being awful.

I was impressed with how good it was able to follow up the first one! What a cliffhanger!

I'm torn on Ghost though.
She didn't get much screentime, but I enjoyed how the character was portrayed, but I'm not sure about her identity being revealed. In the comics, Ghost was a terrifying villain because nobody, not even the great Tony Stark, knew who he was.

Finally got a chance to go see it...and yeah it was pretty fun
smile.gif

As a whole it felt like the kind of movie needed after Infinity War and one that very much fit with these characters.

I think they did a better job this time with the antagonists for the movie. Ghost worked since she was a mixed bag. She wasn't out to cause mass havoc, but she was terribly desperate. Not a good person. In her darkness she was entirely willing to pull a Yellow Jacket and go after Cassie. But it balanced out in having Bill working with her and serving as a conscience. He reigned her in just enough for others to step in when he couldn't stop her. But in the end she was just in agony and people in pain do reckless things.

It does leave things in an interesting place. She needs help to continue remaining stable, and is more or less an 'ally'. Interesting places they could take things with her and even have her powers return if they can't track down Ant-Man in the quantum realm.

In a sense I like how there wasn't an exact 'big bad' for the movie. Ghost and Bill were threats, but they didn't have any grand goal. Just trying to stabilize that girl's health. The 'black market guys' had more dangerous goals, but they didn't have any special weapons besides contacts in the FBI. And the police itself was a threat thanks to those darn Accords.

As a whole I also like the dynamic with Wasp and Ant-Man. Those two work. Their relationship wasn't a major focus in the film, just something running through it. Understandably she was a bit pissed about him going off to fight with "Cap" and that causing nothing but trouble for Hope and Hank.

I am curious to see how they build off this and Infinity War. Will Bill and Ghost get Ant-Man out? Are they even safe from the snap? Will Ant-Man use those 'temporal vortexes' to time travel to the past or future? He's going to have limited options.

But yeah, I had fun. It was a fun movie that didn't try to be world shifting. The last MCU movie handled that part. I expected some laughs, some silly storytelling by Luis, some shrinking tech fun, and some likable characters. Got all that.

Finally saw it Friday night, and loved it.

The entire audience was laughing too hard to breath when [BLACKOUT]they gave Luis truth serum[/BLACKOUT].

The entire audience was laughing too hard to breath when [BLACKOUT]they gave Luis truth serum[/BLACKOUT].
Same here. Everyone in the theater loved that part :).

That one of my biggest complains. There was a missing of a real 3rd act for me. The pursuit in the cars would be a fine 2nd Action sequence but the final? :csad:

Okay I watched in on big screen today and it was a much better experience. :yay:

One of the best parts of the movie. I really hope Luis is in A4 and does a recap.

I saw it today and I had my fun. It was nice to see Ant-Man and Wasp work together.

Funny and entertaining but not my favorite MCU film.

I realise that the Ant Man films have very personal stakes, ( i.e. he's not saving the world) but I never felt a sense of risk or danger at any time. The action sequences were more of a showcase of special effects than anything else.

Ant Man/Giant Man has only about 10 minutes of screen time in Civil War but I feel like his appearance during the airport battle was more exciting than anything he did in Ant Man and the Wasp.

To me Thor Ragnarok was far better as an action comedy - the stakes in that one were both greater ( saving Asgard) but also very personal at the same time ( the unresolved issues with Odin, Hela, Thor and Loki).

Aimed at kids Ant Man is a terrific watch, and I enjoyed it, but found it forgettable.

My random comments would be:

Douglas and Pfeiffer are great actors but felt overahadowed by the special effects.

Lilly was convincingly tough but her chemistry with Rudd is a bit lacklustre.

Rudd carries the movie with his goofy charm, and for a change the comedy sidekicks add more than they take away.

I'm a big Walton Goggins fan, but he was utterly wasted in this film.

I didn't mind Ghost but she's more of a plot device than a character.

All in all a fun diversion for 2 hours, but not a movie I'll see again soon.

7/10

OK, I finally saw this movie on Saturday, and to my surprise I liked it a lot. I thought that this movie was far better than the first ANT-MAN movie (which I also liked, but wasn't overall impressed by it). I liked the action,humor,and overall fun of this movie. I also like all of the characters in this movie and I liked that both Ant-Man and Wasp fought an opponent who had completely different powers than they had. IMO, this movie deserves to be doing better then it currently is at the box office and is very underrated. I think that in time, this movie will become a cult hit.

Just back from my second screening and it's pretty entertaining but nothing spectacular.

Frankly, the actors elevate a pretty mundane and muddled script. I enjoyed the Janet stuff (all 10 minutes of it), but the rest left me a little cold.

I'll happily buy it on blu-ray for La Pfeiff, but if they need to do a third one, hopefully they really up the ante and make us care for these characters more.

Last edited:
Enjoyable follow up to the original, funnier and more evenly paced than the first, the story was kept simple and to the point and never took itself too seriously which is good with this franchise, the bad guys were either pretty generic or not overly interesting compared to the heroes and the script at times was a little clunky and hammy but other than that a fun enough romp post Avengers. 7.5/10

Do you think a dark antman movie is possible? The reason I ask this is because I Finished watching war for the planet of the apes and I realized the whole idea Of it is pretty silly and stupid but they somehow they're able to make it dark and dramatic. Is this possible with an antman film? I'm not saying I want antman it to be dark or anything, but it's just a thought that popped in my head.

Finally saw it here in the UK and it was really a great fun. Much better than the first film in terms of action, characters and locations. The after-credit scene really set things in motion for A4.

However, in the big picture, this is very middle tier MCU, especially after it was released after a certain juggernaut called Infinity War. It has its own thing going on that matters for the characters, but in the bigger picture it will feel a bit inconsequential (except the Quantum Realm stuff and the after-credit scene), especially after A4 is released and this is being remembered as "the film between IW and A4" (not counting Captain Marvel, as this will be pretty important for A4 and will have major implications for the universe).

Still - great fun and classic MCU entertainment.

7.5/10

I thought it was an excellent sequel that continued the storyline's from the first movie in a satisfying way with the search for Janet, Luis setting up his security business and of course biggest of all, Hope becoming The Wasp.

Much like the first film it feels like it exists without the need for the larger MCU tapestry, sort of the movie equivelant of a one-shot, and like the first film it's a breezy, light hearted slice of escapist fun.

At the center of everything is the Scott, Hope and Hank dynamic, the relationships between the 3 is the heart of the movie and also the source of a lot of the humour. The rest of the humour comes from Luis, Pena is hilarious in this role and Reed has a good gauge on just how much to use him to keep him fresh.

The story is a pretty straight forward race between 3 parties chasing the tech for their own objective while Scott tries to stay ahead of the FBI and maintain his relationship with his daughter, his cat & mouse with Agent Woo was pretty funny.

One of the films stranger but still amusing scenes was when Jan inhabited Scott's body, Rudd was gold here. :D

Evangeline as The Wasp steals the movie, this was probably the most focus a female hero has gotten in the MCU to date and she completely nailed it, while Rudd once again is ideal as the everyman hero with an easy going sense of humour, and Michael Douglas once more brings the gravitas as Hank, I loved that he was the one that went into the Quantum realm in that sub thing to rescure Janet.

The Ghost is a visually cool villain and they have set things up for her and Bill Foster to return in a 3rd film or another MCU film, but in this one they both felt more like plot devices to aid the chase narrative than full characters to me.

The action sequences are once again inventive and entertaining, the car chase being absolutely outstanding, filled with great shots and creative destruction, in fact the last 30 minutes of the film is filled with some of my favourite stuff in the entirety of the MCU.

Hank being reunited with Jan was a great moment, perfectly played by two top class veteran actors, and I thought final scene with Scott, Hope and Cassie was sweet...then we got the post-credit scene. :(

I love this franchise, I wish it was bigger at the box office but hopefully Reed will get to complete his trilogy, I'm down for one more adventure with Scott, Hope, Hank and Luis. :D

8/10

Finally got to see this in the UK yesterday.

Really enjoyed it, a great change of tone after Infinity War and a very funny, enjoyable ride.

Possibly edged the original for me but I need to see it again to judge properly. Loved the Quantum stuff and the cliffhanger post credits scene was awesome!

7.5/10

Really enjoyed it.

Rudd is hilarious as always, Pena had some of best comedic moments of the movie, Lily to me captured that badass female attitude down to a tee, Douglas was his usual terrific self I thought they were going to surprise us and actually tease the whole Hank being abusive storyline but to be honest it wouldn't have fit with the tone of this film.

One thing I really liked about this being a smaller scale story was that the villains motivations didn't feel as comic book over the top as some MCU villains.

Foster - Even though he despises Hank he only wants to save Ava. Even making a point at telling Ava if she touches Scott's daughter he will no longer help her.

Ghost - She may be a little more brutal in her approach but at the end of the day Ava just wants to live. She doesn't want the traditional comic book goals of world domination, human eradication or some other super extreme measure.

Not the best or the biggest movie Marvel have ever done but it feels perfect after infinity war. If Infinity War was a giant three course meal Ant-Man & The Wasp is the perfect palate cleanser to get us ready for next year. 8/10

I enjoyed this movie but I liked the first one more.

I'm not sure why but I think the action sequences didn't quite have the punch of the first one. Maybe the first one still had Edgar Wrights fingerprints over it..

I enjoyed the smaller scale stakes story but it felt like it lacked a real third act. The chase sequence and obtaining the shrunken lab didn't quite feel like a "final fight"..

The best bits for me were Michael Pena, who really shines in this role. The Wasp - I was surprised by how much she was in it. At times it felt like more like Ant Man was the secondary character which isn't necessarily a bad thing cos Evangeline Lilly is great in it. And Ghost was cool - powers and visually wise, I thought she was interesting although they could have done more with her. I guess we could see her again some how but I don't know why Marvel has a habit of "closing off arcs" or killing off so many villains when one of the good things they could do is have them crop back up in others films, even as small fight cameos. Paul Rudd was great as always and the girl who plays his kid really shines as well.

And I know that the post credit scenes are generally a mix of foreshadowing and fun segments and maybe I should have expected that, with the mid credits scene being what it was, that the end credit scene wouldn't be anything major.... but man, they really took the p*** with that end credit scene :argh::hehe:

I love the movie. It was great to see both Antman and the Wasp as a duo kicking butt. Really enjoyed it :) the tie in to infinity war was awesome but sad at the same time.

Finally got to see Ant-Man & The Wasp after it was delayed inexplicably for a month in the UK allegedly due to the World Cup. :argh:

Was a lot weaker than I expected, the first Ant-Man wasn't one of the MCU's stronger titles & usually things are stepped up for the sequel's. The only thing that seemed stepped up was the CGI & effects budget.

It was all for the very most part, forgettable. Couple of cool fight scenes particularly with Evangeline Lilly's :-)drl:) Wasp near the end were cool, but the plot regarding the quantum realm & whatnot was confusing/boring, the 'villain' Ghost was not only not really a villain, but she didn't really seem to get much time to stretch her legs she was just there causing delays to the quantum realm trip.

Considering this is one of 2 films that bridges the gap between the Infinity War parts 1 & 2, I was expecting more.

5/10, one of the weakest MCU films to date, few amusing moments here & there with a couple of decent action scenes involving Wasp. But the plot was nonsense/boring & the "villain" didn't really even get a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"