Any current mavel suggestions

RemyLeBeau

Civilian
Reaction score
I have not read comic books for about 10 years and have just got back into them, I would just like to know what everyone's reading and what the hidden gems are, right now I'm reading vemon, thor, wolverine and so classic oldies

Yeah, I think I am going to pick that up in trades.

The X-men are about to get a relaunch with the new Uncanny X-men series ongoing next month. The last relaunch era, ResurrXion is wrapping up so UXM would be a good place to jump on

Other than Venom, the new Ghost Spider: Spider Gwen series just started and other than the connections to Spider-geddon, its a pretty good start to for the new volume. Shuri also just started and while not as good as I hoped, is still pretty solid.

For runs that are over, looking at my avatar, shouldn't surprise you that I'd highly recommend The Unbelievable Gwenpool. Within the first 3 or 4 issues you'll know right away if the series is for you, and if it is, you'll have a blast all the way to it's end. Its way more clever than it had any business being.

Immortal Hulk is fantastic

Seconded. I'm liking the new Amazing Spider-Man, Deadpool, Thor and Venom titles, but Immortal Hulk is the one that really stands out as something different. It focuses more on the horror aspect of the character, but without turning The Hulk into a mindless monster.

The Jessica Jones online series has been enjoyable as well.

I would recommend Gail Simone's Domino. It's a really fun, well-written series. Simone writes mercenary style characters SO well.

Want some throwback fun? Rob Liefeld has a new mini-series. Total 90's nostalgia. It's a lot of fun too.

Major X #1

I would definitely recommend Ironheart. It's really pretty amazing. Although I'm cynically already anticipating its cancellation unless they tap into the Scholastic market that keeps books like Squirrel Girl and Moon Girl going. It just makes me so upset with the fandom to see a high quality series getting such dismal numbers. Everyone whines and complains that they want something new, but when a new character gets their own series, no one actually supports it. I've always dreamed of writing comics, but numbers like this honestly kill my enthusiasm so much.

I would definitely recommend Ironheart. It's really pretty amazing. Although I'm cynically already anticipating its cancellation unless they tap into the Scholastic market that keeps books like Squirrel Girl and Moon Girl going. It just makes me so upset with the fandom to see a high quality series getting such dismal numbers. Everyone whines and complains that they want something new, but when a new character gets their own series, no one actually supports it. I've always dreamed of writing comics, but numbers like this honestly kill my enthusiasm so much.

If you are a business, you don't make a product and then demand that your customers should want it. You make what you know they'll buy. If all these books keep getting cancelled, maybe that's an indicator about what kinds of books the fans do, and don't, actually want.

Most fans I know like the characters they've always liked. I'll buy an Avengers or Batman book way way before I'll buy a book with a new character. And if I do buy a new book, it won't be about a teenage girl super genius that's in a costume that I think is ugly.

People aren't surprised that 99% of guys like action movies starring tough guys but not rom-coms, but then people act surprised when guy comic readers generally want to read comics about tough guy characters instead of solo books about girls/women. It's not a 100% rule of course. For example I also like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, great show (with some good comic stuff). But it is a general rule and I don't understand why people keep acting surprised about the obvious.

If you are a business, you don't make a product and then demand that your customers should want it. You make what you know they'll buy. If all these books keep getting cancelled, maybe that's an indicator about what kinds of books the fans do, and don't, actually want.

Most fans I know like the characters they've always liked. I'll buy an Avengers or Batman book way way before I'll buy a book with a new character. And if I do buy a new book, it won't be about a teenage girl super genius that's in a costume that I think is ugly.

People aren't surprised that 99% of guys like action movies starring tough guys but not rom-coms, but then people act surprised when guy comic readers generally want to read comics about tough guy characters instead of solo books about girls/women. It's not a 100% rule of course. For example I also like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, great show (with some good comic stuff). But it is a general rule and I don't understand why people keep acting surprised about the obvious.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but that's a MAJOR problem. Yes, a big part of blame is on Marvel failing to market properly to new, young fans to get them to actually buy the books, but the community has huge issues as well.

Resistance to new characters and ideas and refusal to invest in female characters are clearly deeply rooted traits of this fanbase. It is obvious, but that doesn't make it right. It makes me disappointed as a Marvel fan to see people hold these views when they should know better and make the community appear as a hostile place for the diverse new generation of fans.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but that's a MAJOR problem. Yes, a big part of blame is on Marvel failing to market properly to new, young fans to get them to actually buy the books, but the community has huge issues as well.

Resistance to new characters and ideas and refusal to invest in female characters are clearly deeply rooted traits of this fanbase. It is obvious, but that doesn't make it right. It makes me disappointed as a Marvel fan to see people hold these views when they should know better and make the community appear as a hostile place for the diverse new generation of fans.

Why is that an issue (aside from those who express their opinions rudely)? Looking back through history tough male figures feature prominently constantly in stories. It's what guys naturally are drawn to and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. What's wrong is trying to force feed people products they don't want and then acting like they are wrong for reacting negatively to it.

I would recommend Gail Simone's Domino. It's a really fun, well-written series. Simone writes mercenary style characters SO well.

How many titles a month do you pull?

I hate "tough male figures" and I'm a comic book fan.

I buy and read Ironheart, Ms Marvel, and Miles Morales Spider-man on top of X-men comics. Most fans interested in those newer characters probably didn't even know they existed until very recently for Ms Marvel and Miles, and probably not at all for Ironheart.

How many titles a month do you pull?
Currently only six. I wish I could pull more, but as a college student have to keep a painfully tough budget. Currently pulling Ironheart, Miles Morales, GOTG, JL: Dark, The Terrifics and Outsiders.
Why is that an issue (aside from those who express their opinions rudely)? Looking back through history tough male figures feature prominently constantly in stories. It's what guys naturally are drawn to and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. What's wrong is trying to force feed people products they don't want and then acting like they are wrong for reacting negatively to it.
It's just incredibly closed-minded to refuse to invest in anything other than a certain specific type of hero that has dominated comics for 60 years. Especially when so many non-straight white male fans have spent decades having to connect to characters that didn't look like them or share a story.

Also, let's not generalize men and what they "naturally are drawn to". Peter Parker has always been my favorite hero exactly because he isn't one of those "tough male figures".

I hate "tough male figures" and I'm a comic book fan.

I buy and read Ironheart, Ms Marvel, and Miles Morales Spider-man on top of X-men comics. Most fans interested in those newer characters probably didn't even know they existed until very recently for Ms Marvel and Miles, and probably not at all for Ironheart.

I never said all comic book fans like tough male figures. I said majority, and that sales consistently indicate that and that companies who try to push a product that consumers don't want instead of what they do are fools if they then act surprised that sales numbers aren't as high as they could be.

It's just incredibly closed-minded to refuse to invest in anything other than a certain specific type of hero that has dominated comics for 60 years. Especially when so many non-straight white male fans have spent decades having to connect to characters that didn't look like them or share a story.

Also, let's not generalize men and what they "naturally are drawn to". Peter Parker has always been my favorite hero exactly because he isn't one of those "tough male figures".

I never said anything about race or sexual orientation.

This is very basic basic biological fact seen across all cultures and throughout history and it boggles my mind that our culture seems to think it can just pretend that that's not so. Guys have an inner compulsion to action that involves violence, and so their heroes in stories are other guys who heroically use violence.

This is the equivalent of the UFC suddenly hosting ballet events and then people getting mad at the fans if the fans are angry about it and stop buying tickets. (intentionally extreme example to make a point).

Spider-Man isn't a 'tough male figure'? I think you're limiting the term too much. It's not limited to guys like Wolverine or the Punisher. Go watch the finale of the first Spider-Man movie again, when he starts coming back and beating the crap out of the Green Goblin. Or in the comics look at the Back in Black storyline when he goes into the prison and beats the Kingpin. He's a male character who's superhumanly strong and consistently beats his opponents using violence. He jokes more than the average obviously, but he's a character that guys see hit someone and they like it.

Again it's not a 100% rule, but the overall data is incredibly obvious and clear.

If comic studios want to have success with female characters I would suggest they shouldn't try to deny the obvious reality, rather they should acknowledge it so they can understand what they have to do to overcome it. They either need to try and drastically change their core readership (which they seem to be trying whether intentionally or not) or they need to create and write the kinds of female characters that guys will want to read. Instead of one that would fit as a character in a movie for teen girls or the like, create one who's got a tough edge. There's a reason a lot of guy viewers enjoyed Sarah Connor in Terminator 2, etc.

I guess you're just fine with limiting the fanbase to a very specific type of men who only like a very specific type of hero and story. Demographics and interests in the fanbase and society at large are drastically changing and I think Marvel Studios at least has done a very good job of addressing that. Marvel Comic's marketing team, however, has a lot of catch up to do.

Peter Parker has always been my favorite hero exactly because he isn't one of those "tough male figures".
You must have a significantly different way of defining "tough" than I do. Peter is one of the toughest characters out there. What he is not is brutal, or harsh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"