Iron Man Anyone prefer Iron Man over Dark Knight?

How is a movie that has a 95% rating on RT, will gross $530 mil domestically and $1 bil WW, a performance by an actor that will be recognized with an Oscar nomination and has been mentioned as a possible Best Picture nomination overhyped? TDK is not overhyped, it lives up to the hype and goes beyond it. Had it been overhyped, then the numbers after the OW would have dropped significantly and ended with a financial take closer to SM3. But that didn't happen, this movie had a record breaking OW and amazing legs. An overhyped movie doesn't do that, a movie that lives up to people's expectations and surpasses them for some, and gets excellent WOM does that.

To answer the original poster's question, Iron Man was a fantastic film and has made its way into my top 5 favorite comic book films of all time. TDK, however, for me, is the cream of the crop and is now the gold standard for comic book films. And TDK I felt, transcended its genre to not only be an amazing comic book film but a flat out phenomenal film in its own right.

My preference: :brucebat:

But as another poster mentioned, this question would be better served in the Misc. Comics Films section.

How is a movie that has a 95% rating on RT, will gross $530 mil domestically and $1 bil WW, a performance by an actor that will be recognized with an Oscar nomination and has been mentioned as a possible Best Picture nomination overhyped? TDK is not overhyped, it lives up to the hype and goes beyond it. Had it been overhyped, then the numbers after the OW would have dropped significantly and ended with a financial take closer to SM3. But that didn't happen, this movie had a record breaking OW and amazing legs. An overhyped movie doesn't do that, a movie that lives up to people's expectations and surpasses them for some, and gets excellent WOM does that.

To answer the original poster's question, Iron Man was a fantastic film and has made its way into my top 5 favorite comic book films of all time. TDK, however, for me, is the cream of the crop and is now the gold standard for comic book films. And TDK I felt, transcended its genre to not only be an amazing comic book film but a flat out phenomenal film in its own right.

But as another poster mentioned, this question would be better served in the Misc. Comics Films section.

There is no guarantee of that.

But its likely to happen. But if you want to get all technical...fine.

a performance by an actor that SHOULD be recognized with an Oscar nomination and has been mentioned as a possible Best Picture nomination overhyped?

Ironman was a great Superhero Movie ... Dark Knight was an amazing Film.

IMO, superhero movies shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Oscar(except for maybe some technical categories).

So you're a big fan of Titanic then?

:thing: :doom: :thing:

^Bingo, another over-hyped movie(one that I hate, actually).

Because they're ultimately childish. Now hey, sometimes that's fun, but I expect better from Oscar nominees. Not that Oscar is completely pure, after all they did nominate Depp for POTC(a bad joke, IMO).

Don't get me wrong, TDK was very good. However, I liked this alot more. Which is funny because, I was always into Batman more than Iron Man. And TDK isn't really the "greatest superhero movie ever made" like the fanboys make it out to be.

So.. if they start a thread like this (anyone prefer TDK over Iron Man?) in the Batman forum.. what would be the results..? Pretty pointless, if you ask me :oldrazz:

The funny thing would be to start this same thread in the Batman forum..

Hey, they're completely free to make such a thread there. I never go to the Batman forums, so I wouldn't know.

just a harmless suggestion.. :o

For me it's TDK 5/5 and Iron Man 4.5/5

Iron Man is fantastic, better than any of the Spiderman movies for me.

for me, it the other way. i like iron man slightly better.

On the otehr hand, I porefer Iron Man to Batman begins any day of the week. IM achieved as an origin movie what BB tried too hard but didn't.

Because they're ultimately childish. Now hey, sometimes that's fun, but I expect better from Oscar nominees. Not that Oscar is completely pure, after all they did nominate Depp for POTC(a bad joke, IMO).

Yes, and the people nominated for ten thousand biopics and period films, churning out the same performances every time in movies which are only vaguely dissimilar from eachother is so very "pure". The Oscars became irrelevant a long time ago, and will continue to be irrelevant unless they stop being so pretentious. Ledger's given the best performance of the decade, let alone the year and if he's not nominated the awards will lose all credibility.

To a lesser degree, Downey Jr has given a great performance in Iron Man and I wouldn't exactly be amazed by him getting a nod of some kind. Will that happen? No. TDK is the best movie of the year. It deserves the statue, not a nomination. Will it get it? Nooo. Some run of the mill period piece/biopic will.

On the otehr hand, I porefer Iron Man to Batman begins any day of the week. IM achieved as an origin movie what BB tried too hard but didn't.
typing while drunk is funnn :woot:

Yes, and the people nominated for ten thousand biopics and period films, churning out the same performances every time in movies which are only vaguely dissimilar from eachother is so very "pure". The Oscars became irrelevant a long time ago, and will continue to be irrelevant unless they stop being so pretentious. Ledger's given the best performance of the decade, let alone the year and if he's not nominated the awards will lose all credibility.

Now that's a joke and a half, IMO. There are lots better even just from this year. Best of the decade, my butt!

To a lesser degree, Downey Jr has given a great performance in Iron Man and I wouldn't exactly be amazed by him getting a nod of some kind. Will that happen? No. TDK is the best movie of the year. It deserves the statue, not a nomination. Will it get it? Nooo. Some run of the mill period piece/biopic will.

I don't think it is and I don't think it deserves it. But that's my opinion just like what's in bold is your opinion.

I'd give Iron Man a 7.5/10 and Dark Knight a 10/10

The Dark Knight was superior for me. Much deeper, and better performances, save for Gyllenhall. Paltrow was much better in the leading female role.

Iron Man is one of the best comic book movies, though. It's definitely on the A-list with The Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2, X-Men 2, and Batman Begins.

TDK is insanely overrated

fight scenes are sloppy, little contuinity between TDK and BB, the story really flops for me, first 2 acts are really boring, felt really held back and tried too hard to satisfy parents with pointless one liners like "now thats not good....Now thats REALLY not good *whiny voice*", and from a huge batman fan's view....the fact that NO batarangs are thrown brings it down by half a star

I rated Iron Man a 10/10 and TDK a 9/10. So, both are outstanding films.

Iron Man is the more complete, all-around film. TDK is darker

#3000 post should be nothing short of a statement of fact.

So... Iron Man > TDK

There ya have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"