Are we in for another 10 year build-up?

writer0327

Sidekick
Reaction score
One of the reasons I feel the MCU has worked so well is because they took the time to build it up properly. This didn't feel like a rush job like the DCEU attempted to do. This was a very carefully planned and measured story line that encompassed 22 films over 10 years. Now the question is in order to duplicate this feat, do they have to repeat the same success like they did with building up to Thanos?

They've already started some of it with Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Spider-Man, Ant-Man, and Captain Marvel. So I think we can essentially say that the next wave really started 2-3 years ago. But do they need to build the next villain for another 7-8 years from that point so we can get the equivalent to Endgame in 2026 or 2027?

My opinion: yes. I think in order to give the next phase what this film had, I think you really do need to build it up over a decade. But I'm curious as to what others think.

Last edited:
Interesting theory. I kind of feel they already have a foundation of 10 years to build on, so though don't necessarily have to introduce a villain now and pay it off in 2029.

I could see them doing mini crossover events like Civil War ever 3-5 years. Maybe the 3rd Black Panther movie could be Doom War with the Xmen and Avengers crossing over.

War of kings or Annihilation could be a Cosmic only crossover without the Avengers, and even a street level/supernatural crossover like Shadowland. Neither of them need the Avengers.

That being said I would not have a problem with seeing Galactus post credits of Guardians 3 and have him leave path of planetary destruction, post credits of certain movies. Maybe even have Carol face off with Silver Surfer CM2, then come 2029 the big team up movie would be a Galactus vs the MCU. :)

I really dont know. It worked for the Thanos arc but im not sure another 10 year build up would work for something like secret wars. And tbh I dont know if I want another 10 year build up. None of us are getting any younger. I wouldn't mind if they started adapting major story lines every few years like Secret Wars, Annihilation etc using the same model as the 10 year arc with Thanos with standalone movies in between but not taking 10 years to get there maybe shrinking it down to a 5 year build up.

Interesting theory. I kind of feel they already have a foundation of 10 years to build on, so though don't necessarily have to introduce a villain now and pay it off in 2029.

I could see them doing mini crossover events like Civil War ever 3-5 years. Maybe the 3rd Black Panther movie could be Doom War with the Xmen and Avengers crossing over.

War of kings or Annihilation could be a Cosmic only crossover without the Avengers, and even a street level/supernatural crossover like Shadowland. Neither of them need the Avengers.

That being said I would not have a problem with seeing Galactus post credits of Guardians 3 and have him leave path of planetary destruction, post credits of certain movies. Maybe even have Carol face off with Silver Surfer CM2, then come 2029 the big team up movie would be a Galactus vs the MCU. :)
I like the idea of crossover events and I agree, there is definitely a solid foundation to start with based on the characters of T'challa, Spidey, Strange, etc. but one of the big problem is they haven't been assembled into the Avengers yet. If you want to have another Endgame like event film, I think they don't arrive at that without a slow burn build-up over at least 6-7 years and 15+ films.

I really dont know. It worked for the Thanos arc but im not sure another 10 year build up would work for something like secret wars. And tbh I dont know if I want another 10 year build up. None of us are getting any younger. I wouldn't mind if they started adapting major story lines every few years like Secret Wars, Annihilation etc using the same model as the 10 year arc with Thanos with standalone movies in between but not taking 10 years to get there maybe shrinking it down to a 5 year build up.
I think that's the only way to arrive at Endgame though. 22 films, 10-11 years. I think you only get a film with this much hype with this kind of build up.

I would love to see the major storylines address in crossovers every 3 years, but I don't know if it will ever be this again.

As of now, there is no real solid core for the Avengers as there doesn't seem to be that solid camaraderie/continuity that existed with the Original 6 as the leaders. That basically leaves you with role characters who've not been lead players in the hierarchy of the Avengers and a bunch of franchise leads who have very little history with one another. We may very well see The Avengers again but it feels as if their time as the headlining group may have passed and other teams (GOTG, X-Men, and Fantastic Four) will take their place.

The Avengers have an ever changing roster in the comics and I bet the films would do the same. F4/Guardians and the X-Men are different as those properties aren't the place for everyone in the MU to show up, thats always been the gimmick of the Avengers films. They aren't gonna stop doing that especially when Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Dr. Strange are making a big name for themselves while Spidey and Ant-Man can appear in more Avengers films with a larger role.

As of now, there is no real solid core for the Avengers as there doesn't seem to be that solid camaraderie/continuity that existed with the Original 6 as the leaders. That basically leaves you with role characters who've not been lead players in the hierarchy of the Avengers and a bunch of franchise leads who have very little history with one another. We may very well see The Avengers again but it feels as if their time as the headlining group may have passed and other teams (GOTG, X-Men, and Fantastic Four) will take their place.
Well I'm wondering do you need to rebuild the Avengers or do you just shift the focus to the X-Men and the Fantastic 4.

How do you top what we got in the last hour of that movie? At best you can redo it, but I don't think anything will ever top it.

Well I'm wondering do you need to rebuild the Avengers or do you just shift the focus to the X-Men and the Fantastic 4.

How do you top what we got in the last hour of that movie? At best you can redo it, but I don't think anything will ever top it.
Simple.
New Avengers+next gen of Guardians+F4+X-Men with a few founding Avengers and Guardians (maybe they even grab 2013 Iron Man or something for a last battle cameo) sprinkled in!

As for a villain that could top Thanos, well I admit I have no idea.

And I do think that that's where the real problem comes in. Thanos is half the reason these movies did as well as they did, especially Infinity War.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"