Are we too harsh on SM3?

Do you think we will ever get a SM film as poorly received as it?

Exactly. We've had several good CBM movies with two villains in them. One of the villains is Rhino in TASM. That guy is just a meat head with powers. He doesn't need much attention or set up.

Now I loved TASM but it had a ok villain (Main problem) I find it odd how they went with two when they couldn't get the first one right.

Now I loved TASM but it had a ok villain (Main problem) I find it odd how they went with two when they couldn't get the first one right.

It works according to every character. Raimi got Octopus right but that didn't mean anything, he dropped the ball with every villain in the following movie.

TBF they just cut out bits of his character like his family. I hope we just get two and if there is a 3rd it should be Black Cat. I don't want GG yet...

The film is in good hands with Orci and Kurtzman. They've worked together on lots of successful films. You've also got Pinker who's done great work on TV shows such as Lost and Fringe.

Exactly. We've had several good CBM movies with two villains in them. One of the villains is Rhino in TASM. That guy is just a meat head with powers. He doesn't need much attention or set up.

And according to the most recent interview between Marc Webb and SHH it sounds like Rhino isn't going to get much attention. He said Rhino will have a "brief appearance" and it's done in a "careful and calculated way." :up: We're in good hands.

Its funny because the first hour of SM3 is actually really really good, in fact it sort of feels like an extension of SM2. But like so many others have said once the emo Peter arrives it all goes downhill. I'm really really shocked that Sony didn't divide this movie into two parts. End SM3 with Eddie becoming Venom and SM 4 would be the epic grand finale fully focusing on Spidey vs Venom. That would have been amazing and Sony would've been able to squeeze out one more film out of that franchise. Although, I suppose Raimi himself probably wouldn't have been up for that.

I always thought Sm-3 should have given birth to Spidergirl Movie if only They could have fast forward with peters life .

TASM2 has 2 confirmed villains and 1 rumored. It could be a SM3 disaster or it could be the best one yet (eyes of the board)

I don't think its that black and white. Please note that just because there are 2 villains (one of which has a really small role according to Marc Webb) does not mean it is going to be like Spider-Man 3. SM3 did NOT fail because of too many villains. If TASM2 is bad, then it would most likely be for a different reason (bad script, plot holes, etc.).

I think the biggest problem about SM-3 and the reason it got such a harsh backlash is because the movie was advertised as this dark and epic chapter of the Spider-Man saga, but the elements that we expected more seriousness from (the symbiote's effect on Peter) was milked for campy humor. I know Raimi has a quirky sense of humor but that's just a huge no no when it comes to franchise filmmaking and a fanbase with high expectations.

Even though I think the general idea behind showing Parker to be this buffoon caricature of himself that only thinks he's cool but isn't actually cool, it was way overdone and it definitely crossed a line for some people. I mean it's so over the top that I really do find it genuinely hilarious, but I had to completely divorce myself from every expectation I had for the movie going into it and just accept it as farce. The problem with the movie is how jarring all the tonal shifts are, which is also a result of the movie trying to do too much.

Overall, it's definitely not even close to the worst CBM ever. The first hour does have a lot of strong moments, and the film has some great action sequences overall. James Franco gives his best performance of the series IMO. It just isn't able to hold itself together once the symbiote plot comes to the forefront. To be fair I think it had an impossible task of doing a satisfying take on the Venom story all within one movie. It's just so unfortunate looking back that because of Avi Arad's imperative to use Venom, the script had to be arranged and do all these crazy gymnastics just to get him in there, and then the end result of that is a very lacking version of Venom that wasn't in the movie nearly enough to please fans. I feel like fanboys would've been a lot more forgiving of all the other flaws in the movie if at least the movie truly delivered VENOM as people know him.

Overall though, I still have a lot of fond memories anticipating SM-3. There was a time when I was convinced it had the potential to be the most epic CBM of all time.

Last edited:
Spider-Man 3 did have the potential to be one of, if not THE greatest, comic book movie. Too bad it didn't live up to that potential.

Spider-Man 3 did have the potential to be one of, if not THE greatest, comic book movie. Too bad it didn't live up to that potential.

And now it's seen to be one of the worst and has a mediocre 51% on RT.

And now it's seen to be one of the worst and has a mediocre 51% on RT.
To answer the thread title, I do think people are too harsh on SM3. Its a HUGE disappointment, but I don't think it comes close to being one of the worst comic book movies.

Its leagues ahead of Green Lantern or Batman and Robin IMO.

To answer the thread title, I do think people are too harsh on SM3. Its a HUGE disappointment, but I don't think it comes close to being one of the worst comic book movies.

Its leagues ahead of Green Lantern or Batman and Robin IMO.

Or Ghost Rider 2 or in MY OPINION Iron Man 3 but it's at 82% RT so I'm in the minority ahaha.

It would be really interesting if Raimi revealed what he wanted the story for the 4th film to be. The first 3 films have kind of a similar structure in a way(the birth of the enemy, Aunt May speech, and MJ getting kidnapped which leads to the final battle are just a few that come to mind)-But I don't think all 3 films were carbon copies of each other, just similar at times. That's why it would be cool to know if Sam wanted to change things up a bit, have a different structure for the 4th (and 5th and 6th possibly) film(s).

I really like TASM though. The first viewing I didn't really have an opinion b/c I couldn't stop comparing it to the original. But after I knew what they did better, or worse, compared to the original I was able to enjoy the film more. Happy we have a new series.

It performed poorly because of SM3. Most people still had that horrible taste in their mouth.

No it didn't. It was obvious it was a different film with a different cast and approach.

People didn't want to see it because they didn't need another origin, thought a reboot was unnecessary and most folks still liked Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man (They polled that one). And it didn't get a lot of repeat business because it wasn't a very good film.

Anyway, despite what folks here might say, Spidey 3 was a hit film with one of the best openings ever.

Or Ghost Rider 2 or in MY OPINION Iron Man 3 but it's at 82% RT so I'm in the minority ahaha.
Here are a list of movies that I think are worse than Spider-Man 3:

Batman and Robin
Batman Forever
The Punisher (1989)
The Punisher (2004)
The Punisher: War Zone
Superman III
Superman IV: The Quest For Peace
Supergirl
Green Lantern
Ghost Rider
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance